Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
I'm still assuming that midterm effects repeatable since the dawn of time (plus the democratic party's general aimlessness and terrible advisory) will still pull it in for the GOP but

well, okay, that is admittedly good news for anyone who doesn't like republican majorities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Sununu not running for Senate is a huge relief for me, I think he would have won.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

It's really hard to determine for whom the economy is working without drilling into who's saying it is or isn't, & why.

For example, is the hospitality worker now making $11.10/hour instead of $10.00 as duly appreciative of that 11 percent raise as NYT writer Neil Irwin thinks is the case? Has it changed the worker's life for the better, or is the worker still further behind bc of inflation?

Has income inequality smoothed out at all, or is it following modern history's pattern of the rich getting richer & the poor getting poorer?

Is medical bankruptcy going down? Are SNAP & TANF applications & continuing assistance going up or down? Are salary increases keeping up with rising rents across the country as institutional investors take over the market?

Average savings & median salary increases only tell part of the story, and economic writers like Irwin need to work harder at digging a bit deeper, rather than couching what appear to be their hopes & wishes with broad generalities.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
This is the third Republican candidate for Senate who has now been accused of pulling a gun on his wife and/or choking and beating her (Greitans in MO, Parnell in PA, and Walker in GA).

Parnell has been endorsed by Trump and is the frontrunner in the primary. Trump came out and says he still supports him.

Greitans probably won't win his primary, but Parnell and Walker are both very likely to win unless their campaign implodes soon.

Doesn't sound like they are going to be officially abandoned, though:

quote:

“Americans are pretty forgiving,” Sen. Kevin Cramer (R-N.D.) said when asked about the allegations against Walker. “I don’t think that’s a deal breaker. I actually think he’s quite a good candidate.”

quote:

Sen. Joni Ernst (R-Iowa), herself a survivor of sexual assault and domestic abuse, acknowledged Walker “had some baggage there” but added the former football star had “addressed it.”

“Their constituencies will decide if they’re a worthy candidate and then move forward,” she said. “We’ll take it up after we get through those primaries.”

quote:

Retiring Sen. Pat Toomey (R-Pa.) studiously avoided weighing in on the race to replace him when asked about the allegations against Parnell.

“I’m not going to get into the merits of the respective candidates,” he said. “I just haven’t made a decision.”

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1458041873541574662
https://twitter.com/JonathanTamari/status/1455272871207579656

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Nov 9, 2021

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

I really liked this one, which was mocked up in mspaint and still costs $400k.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

This is the third Republican candidate for Senate who has now been accused of pulling a gun on his wife and/or choking and beating her (Greitans in MO, Parnell in PA, and Walker in GA).

This sucks for a lot of reasons. Walker is a goddamn lunatic and Warnock is legitimately a good senator and person. There's a lot of time between now and this election; hoping Walker folds.

skylined! fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Nov 9, 2021

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cpt_Obvious posted:

The current situation is that going to the grocery store feels like being punched in the testicles. Trip report: an $8 pre-pandemic chicken now costs $13.

Let's not forget the absurdity of claiming that average wages have risen while in reality there has been a mass exodus from the lowest paying jobs (especially in the retail and food service industry) which artificially inflates those numbers. I really don't understand people claiming the economy is fine and will shortly return to normal. The same talking heads on tv pushing this idea were also claiming there would be no inflation, then that the inflation was only temporary, and now saying "well actually inflation doesn't matter that much".

I'm talking about statistics. Statistically, the average person is better off with their own finances. Statistically, there are tons of people who tell pollsters that their economic position is strong and they expect it to stay strong, yet they think the economy is bad; that is also a statistic. Unemployment is low and it is easier than it usually is to find a job, or quit your job and get a better one, which is also a statistic.

Of course some people are going to be hurt when prices rise because their wages didn't go up - but wages have gone up significantly, particularly among the lower 50% of the income distribution. If you have more money than you used to, and report that you expect that situation to continue, then you are almost by definition not suffering as a result of price increases - the price increases are just causing a perception that the economy as a whole is suffering - that other people are suffering.

I am not trying to argue "the economy is great and Dems did everything perfectly and they deserve all the credit and DUMB AMERICA isn't giving them credit." (Although, tbf, somebody who bases their voting decisions on gas prices is showing a very poor understanding of the economy.) I'm just trying to point out that this is a very different economic problem from a recession, and that we are not in a recession right now, and that what will turn perceptions of the economy turn around is not necessarily what it usually is, for many (if not most) people.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Let's not forget the absurdity of claiming that average wages have risen while in reality there has been a mass exodus from the lowest paying jobs (especially in the retail and food service industry) which artificially inflates those numbers
I'm sorry, but I have to single this part out as complete nonsense: unemployment is very low, and labor force participation has been steady since August 2020. There's not some wage stagnation hidden in the numbers. The statistics show that wages up are because wages are up - the caveat is that prices are all over the place, not that the wage growth is fake.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Nov 9, 2021

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Sanguinia posted:

I'm a millennial in my 30s stuck living my parents, so, you know, no argument here. The economy may be good by pretty much every metric but it's certainly not great personally for me. I just don't conflate my personal experience and feelings with the larger factual reality because I'm not stupid.

But whatever, I'm just tired of rhetoric in this thread being so fixated on the implied assumption of this magical leftist electorate. Every day I come in here and see another gleeful round of "look at how doomed the democrats are," followed by eyerolls about how the democrats losing is bad because the alternative is fascists, and the unspoken bit underlying that is "this could all be solved if the Dems would just actually be left." That conclusion is raw magical thinking. None of you all are convincing me that the solution is more leftism, you're just convincing me that the situation is utterly without hope because there's no proof more leftism will actually solve the problem.

At least this:

isn't someone living in la-la land because they acknowledge that Here's Some Leftism isn't a silver bullet to get voters on-side. At least when Majorian posts about the unactivated leftist voter they acknowledges that its just a theory which is why they put more stock in direct action than any form of electoralism. I can respect those positions because they're not having a party over bad things happening because they really believe good things will follow for literally no reason.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Why was this post probated? This makes no sense at all.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Solkanar512 posted:

Why was this post probated? This makes no sense at all.

Esp given the stated reason "Thinly veiled jabs at posting groups who you disagree with are still jabs at posting groups you disagree with." the TheIncredulousHulk post quoted in that post there is doing the exact same thing.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Mellow Seas posted:

I'm talking about statistics. Statistically, the average person is better off with their own finances. Statistically, there are tons of people who tell pollsters that their economic position is strong and they expect it to stay strong, yet they think the economy is bad; that is also a statistic. Unemployment is low and it is easier than it usually is to find a job, or quit your job and get a better one, which is also a statistic.

There are lies, there are drat dirty lies, and then there are statistics.

Mellow Seas posted:

I'm sorry, but I have to single this part out as complete nonsense: unemployment is very low, and labor force participation has been steady since August 2020. There's not some wage stagnation hidden in the numbers. The statistics show that wages up are because wages are up - the caveat is that prices are all over the place, not that the wage growth is fake.
Unemployment is a very bad metric for so many reasons. For example, if you quit your job and don't look for a new one, you're not counted as unemployed, which is exactly what's going on right now. All those low wage workers quit their jobs and aren't looking for new ones and that's what the labor shortage is. As a result, this inflates the average wage numbers because the waitress quitting her $2/hr job fucks up both the unemployment numbers and the wage numbers and that exact situation is happening in record numbers all across the country.

Don't believe me? Go outside. Seriously, take a walk downtown or in whatever town center anywhere in America and you will find a sea of "help wanted" ads on just about every business that doesn't have have a "closed forever" sign.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Weird stuff about the economy right now:

I saw the statistic in the thread of 2.3 trillion in extra savings over pre-pandemic projections, which if you apply to a US population of 330 million, results in a rather amusing extra-savings-per-capita figure of $6969.69.

But there are issues, certainly. This article reports a figure of 4 trillion in savings, but attributes 70% of that (2.8T) to the upper 20%, which still leaves a lot of extra money for everybody else (1.2T). It classifies 2.6T as "liquid savings" (meaning not from home prices/investment income, presumably) and attributes 80% of that growth to the top 20%, and 42% to the top 1%. OK, that's bad, but that still means that the bottom 80% still has about 500 billion in extra savings, right?

But even among the bottom four quintiles things are still skewed upward, and, uh

linked article posted:

“households in the bottom income quintile saved less than implied by their pre-pandemic behavior,” the study found.
the degree of the savings inequality was unexpected, according to Nancy Vanden Houten, the economist who co-authored the study with Gregory Daco.

“This latest data suggests that savings are even more skewed to the top than we previously thought,” Vanden Houten said.

So what we have is rich people getting way richer, a lot of middle class people doing better than usual, and the people who are screwed being more screwed than ever.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

There are lies, there are drat dirty lies, and then there are statistics.

Unemployment is a very bad metric for so many reasons. For example, if you quit your job and don't look for a new one, you're not counted as unemployed, which is exactly what's going on right now.
That is why I included labor force participation rate, which would capture this if your hypothesis held any water whatsoever.

If those places that have "help wanted" signs really want help, and if business demand stays high (which it should, because people in aggregate have more money to spend), then they'll hire people... at higher wages than they used pay, which is wage growth.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Nov 9, 2021

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Here's some interesting minor provisions in the infrastructure bill that I wasn't aware of.

- Mandates new vehicles made after 2026 include a "passive automated system" to detect drunk driving and prevent drunk drivers from driving the car.

quote:

Under the legislation, monitoring systems to stop intoxicated drivers would roll out in all new vehicles as early as 2026, after the Transportation Department assesses the best form of technology to install in millions of vehicles and automakers are given time to comply.

In all, about $17 billion is allotted to road safety programs, the biggest increase in such funding in decades, according to the Eno Center for Transportation. Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg said Monday that could mean more protected bike paths and greener spaces built into busy roadways.

“It’s monumental,” said Alex Otte, national president of Mothers Against Drunk Driving. Otte called the package the “single most important legislation” in the group’s history that marks “the beginning of the end of drunk driving.”

“It will virtually eliminate the No. 1 killer on America’s roads,” she said.

Last month, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reported an estimated 20,160 people died in traffic collisions in the first half of 2021, the highest first-half total since 2006. The agency has pointed to speeding, impaired driving and not wearing seatbelts during the coronavirus pandemic as factors behind the spike.

Each year, around 10,000 people are killed due to alcohol-related crashes in the U.S., making up nearly 30% of all traffic fatalities, according to NHTSA.

Seems like the most likely candidate is an infrared camera that can detect if the driver has their eyes closed or head down for long-periods of time while driving and "other signs of loss of consciousness or impairment" that warns you if it detects behavior, then puts your hazards on and pulls over if you are still keeping your eyes closed or head down for an extended period after warnings.

quote:

Sam Abuelsamid, principal mobility analyst for Guidehouse Insights, said the most likely system to prevent drunken driving is infrared cameras that monitor driver behavior. That technology is already being installed by automakers such as General Motors, BMW and Nissan to track driver attentiveness while using partially automated driver-assist systems.

The cameras make sure a driver is watching the road, and they look for signs of drowsiness, loss of consciousness or impairment.

If signs are spotted, the cars will warn the driver, and if the behavior persists, the car would turn on its hazard lights, slow down and pull to the side of the road.

- Mandates rear-seat alarms that go off if you have a child car seat that is locked, has weight in it, and you lock your car doors to prevent people from inadvertently leaving kids (or dogs/cats secured in car seats, I guess) locked in a hot car.

quote:

The voluminous bill also requires automakers to install rear-seat reminders to alert parents if a child is left inadvertently in the back seat, a mandate that could begin by 2025 after NHTSA completes its rulemaking on the issue. Since 1990, about 1,000 children have died from vehicular heatstroke after the highest total in a single year was 54 in 2018, according to Kidsandcars.org.

- Mandates automatic emergency brakes, lane departure warnings, and redesigned front seatbacks that don't collapse and kill passengers in the backseat.

quote:

Congress, meanwhile, directed the agency to update decades-old safety standards to avert deaths from collapsing front seatbacks and issue a rule requiring automatic emergency braking and lane departure warnings in all passenger vehicles, though no date was set for compliance.

Most automakers had already agreed to make automatic emergency braking standard equipment in most of their models by September of next year, as part of a voluntary plan announced in the final weeks of the Obama administration.

- A bunch of money and requirements for cities to make their streets safer for non-motorists (bikers, pedestrians, etc.)

quote:

A “Safe Streets & Roads for All” program will in part promote healthier streets for cyclists and pedestrians. The federal program, which he acknowledged may take several months to set up, would support cities’ campaigns to end traffic fatalities with a “Vision Zero” effort that could build traffic roundabouts to slow cars, carve out new bike paths and widen sidewalks and even reduce some roads to shift commuters toward public transit or other modes of transportation.

The legislation requires at least 15% of a state’s highway safety improvement program funds to address pedestrians, bicyclists and other nonmotorized road users if those groups make up 15% or more of the state’s crash fatalities.

- New standards and requirements for "Smart Headlights" on new cars.

quote:

Standards for “smart” car headlights. Smart headlights would adjust a high intensity light to oncoming traffic, so drivers don’t have to toggle between high and low beams.

- Mandatory backseat seatbelt reminders.

quote:

The Governors Highway Safety Association has been strongly pushing for rear seat belt reminders since 2015, noting back then that fewer passengers were buckling up in the back when riding in increasingly popular Uber, Lyft and other for-hire vehicles.

Last year, over half of all crash fatalities involved unbelted drivers or occupants, the highest level since 2012, according to NHTSA.

https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus-pandemic-joe-biden-technology-business-health-068ee87392b0cca1444053b854a514dd

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
The reason that post was probed is that it was shadowboxing with a vague sense of what one "side" of the thread thinks. This is kind of funny in light of the post directly responding to each point also being probated. I don't think anyone is arguing that there is a silent majority of leftists, but that there are lots of non-voters who might vote for someone who fought to get them stuff. I agree with that assessment.

The poll results from moms4Northkin don't really prove anything either way on this issue, since they made it very clear that they had a particular issue outside of the scope of that argument.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Serious Questions about the new car regulations:

- Is changing from high-beams to low-beams really that difficult for a lot of people?

- I know nothing of this anti-DUI detection technology and Google seems to offer explanations of how it works, but I can't find any studies offhand about how accurate it actually is. Does anyone know about that tech and the accuracy rate? If it requires a warning + several additional periods of extended eye closure or unconsciousness, then isn't it going to be a little late to stop most DUI crashes?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Sanguinia posted:

I'm a millennial in my 30s stuck living my parents, so, you know, no argument here. The economy may be good by pretty much every metric but it's certainly not great personally for me.

It's almost like...the metrics CNBC likes to point at to tell us how great the economy is...measure how well rich people are doing...and have little or nothing to do with whether you and your peers can afford a home or see a doctor

Juuuuuust saying

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

- Is changing from high-beams to low-beams really that difficult for a lot of people?

In the Mad Max wasteland of the DMV area, absolutely

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

I have this on my car and it's actually pretty nice. There are a lot of rural roads that are unlit but well-traveled and it's a great, if small, QOL feature to not have to flip the brights off every minute.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

- I know nothing of this anti-DUI detection technology and Google seems to offer explanations of how it works, but I can't find any studies offhand about how accurate it actually is. Does anyone know about that tech and the accuracy rate? If it requires a warning + several additional periods of extended eye closure or unconsciousness, then isn't it going to be a little late to stop most DUI crashes?

I'm not well-versed with the tech either but it could be sufficient enough to stop non-alcohol related impairment crashes (i.e. tired), which do occur pretty frequently. There is likely a lot of insurance money to save here, though I wonder if this will be required to be installed in newly-manufactured long-haul trucks. Also, you know, the possible privacy implications (or implied implications).

And ya like Moose said - when I commuted an hour each way on country roads years back, switching from brights to lights was a pain in the rear end, and nothing is worse than getting blinded by some rear end in a top hat's brights at 530am. Automating it would be cool with me.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

It's not difficult at all in most cars, a lot of people just don't do it. It creates a big hazard but only for other people so they don't care because it makes driving a lot easier for them, and it's made worse still when it's on a huge SUV or truck with those 10 trillion lumen lamps

The only anti-drunk driving measure I'm aware of is the ignition interlock but it sounds like they have something else in mind, I have no idea at what stage of development such a technology is. All this stuff's gonna require chips tho so here's to hoping that whole thing is sorted out by then

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's theoretically very easy to turn brights off, but people forget, especially if they're on a mostly empty road and only see a car once every couple of minutes.

There are also non-high beams that are bright as gently caress, especially on SUVs and trucks as seen by a car - if there was an automated system it could adjust below regular "bright-rear end low beams" settings and make things a little easier for those of us who are still driving close the ground.

Not sure if it's a very big contributor to crashes, though. Generally headlight regulation compliance is pretty good.

Epic High Five posted:

The only anti-drunk driving measure I'm aware of is the ignition interlock but it sounds like they have something else in mind, I have no idea at what stage of development such a technology is. All this stuff's gonna require chips tho so here's to hoping that whole thing is sorted out by then
Yeah, I personally think mandatory ignition interlock would be a pretty good policy, but it's not going to happen because it would make people feel like they are being treated like criminals. I wonder what they will come up with, if it will be any good, and if they will be able to avoid fit-pitching.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 9, 2021

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There are some cars today with automatic dimming as a value-add feature, does this mean it has to be part of the base package and they can't charge you extra for it?

The anti-drunk-driving system sounds more like it's an anti-inattentiveness feature, which would catch both drunk driving and exhausted driving (and is also something that already exists in some form)

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Mellow Seas posted:

There's not some wage stagnation hidden in the numbers. The statistics show that wages up are because wages are up - the caveat is that prices are all over the place, not that the wage growth is fake.

What stats are you going off of?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

skylined! posted:

I'm not well-versed with the tech either but it could be sufficient enough to stop non-alcohol related impairment crashes (i.e. tired), which do occur pretty frequently. There is likely a lot of insurance money to save here, though I wonder if this will be required to be installed in newly-manufactured long-haul trucks. Also, you know, the possible privacy implications (or implied implications).

It is going to be required for long-haul trucks.

There is also a (sort of weirdly specific) requirement for long-haul truckers to be screened for sleep apnea.

I understand the goal behind that, but that doesn't really detect if someone is tired or impaired at that specific moment. Maybe it's just an easy and definable thing to check to reduce impaired driving accidents.

Peter Daou Zen
Apr 6, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Anti Drunk driver system is just going to punish people and be extremely annoying ; Republicans are going to hammer the Democrats for doing “Nanny state” and perpetual wet blankets and it’s going to work.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

I recently rented a Nissan Versa and the only redeeming feature of the vehicle was the auto-dimming lights. It was surprisingly useful and made dimming the brights one less thing to think about while driving.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Mellow Seas posted:

If those places that have "help wanted" signs really want help, and if business demand stays high (which it should, because people in aggregate have more money to spend), then they'll hire people... at higher wages than they used pay, which is wage growth.

The problem is that there is a strong anchoring basis that a good or service is only worth to the consumer the lowest price they have paid for it. Oversupply of labor created by economic policy aiming for x% caused a spiral down to the legal minimum (and often below it for this like farm labor that saw high illegal immigration for employment). Now a lot of small labor consumers are holding out waiting for the price to come back down, when even most business texts and capitalist market theory tell you this is like holding your breath and hoping air becomes cheaper.

Now they are likely also worried about price anchoring. Either way it's rational to believe bankruptcies will drive the price back down relatively rapidly if no one gives in. Though that might cause general collapse in several sectors.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Peter Daou Zen posted:

The Anti Drunk driver system is just going to punish people and be extremely annoying ; Republicans are going to hammer the Democrats for doing “Nanny state” and perpetual wet blankets and it’s going to work.

there is no way they don't cause more harm than good and just piss off everyone in the end

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Hellblazer187 posted:

Edit: Found it. I forgot I was searching with Duck Duck Go, which usually does not allow me to find what I want. Soon as I went to google I found it immediately.
https://chrishayes.org/articles/decision-makers/

I love whenever I run across this article because Hayes just gets wronger and wronger with the benefit of hindsight.

quote:

Voters I spoke to were concerned about the Iraq war and about securing American interests, but they seemed entirely unmoved by the argument--accepted, in some form or another, by just about everyone in Washington--that the security of the United States is dependent on the freedom and well-being of the rest of the world.
lmbo no comment necessary

The part where he's scandalized that voters who think the war in Iraq is an unmitigated disaster with no hope of success aren't impressed by Kerry's plan to beg France for some troops.

quote:

Time after time, undecided voters would agree vociferously with every single critique I offered of Bush's Iraq policy, but conclude that it really didn't matter who was elected, since neither candidate would have any chance of making things better. Yeah, but what's Kerry gonna do? voters would ask me, and when I told them Kerry would bring in allies they would wave their hands and smile with condescension, as if that answer was impossibly naïve. C'mon, they'd say, you don't really think that's going to work, do you?
Yeah that'll solve it. Remember when we got a smart Democrat in who knows big words and everything in Iraq was hunky-dory

quote:

Often, once I would engage undecided voters, they would list concerns, such as the rising cost of health care; but when I would tell them that Kerry had a plan to lower health-care premiums, they would respond in disbelief--not in disbelief that he had a plan, but that the cost of health care was a political issue. It was as if you were telling them that Kerry was promising to extend summer into December.
Voters don't believe Kerry's lovely plan was going to fix the rising cost of premiums, wow what idiots. Surely once a smart Democrat passes some kind of patient protection and affordable care thingy healthcare will be easily affordable for all.

The voters he looked down on were 100% correct to have no faith in Kerry or his surrogates' promises, Hayes was the real rube.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Nov 9, 2021

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
Is there a way that anti-DUI might be like lane keep assist? Or basically some alarm blaring at you to pull over if you're too erratic?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Eric Cantonese posted:

Is there a way that anti-DUI might be like lane keep assist? Or basically some alarm blaring at you to pull over if you're too erratic?

Drunks, famous for listening to warning systems. I don't think its a tech solution that'll resolve this.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Eric Cantonese posted:

This was the description in the article:

quote:

Sam Abuelsamid, principal mobility analyst for Guidehouse Insights, said the most likely system to prevent drunken driving is infrared cameras that monitor driver behavior. That technology is already being installed by automakers such as General Motors, BMW and Nissan to track driver attentiveness while using partially automated driver-assist systems.

The cameras make sure a driver is watching the road, and they look for signs of drowsiness, loss of consciousness or impairment.

If signs are spotted, the cars will warn the driver, and if the behavior persists, the car would turn on its hazard lights, slow down and pull to the side of the road.

Basically, it warns you if you have your eyes closed for extended periods. Then, it lets you know if you keep doing it. Finally, it automatically turns your hazards and pulls you into the shoulder if you still have your eyes closed/signs of unconsciousness.

GM, BMW, and Nissan have some versions of this already available. So, you could probably look at what they have and assume it will be pretty close to that.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

eviltastic posted:

What stats are you going off of?

https://apnews.com/article/business-wages-salaries-increase-8ce98ea3bcc14c4810eb5a1111e1df49

AP, October 29 posted:

Wages jumped in the three months ending in September by the most on records dating back 20 years, a stark illustration of the growing ability of workers to demand higher pay from companies that are desperate to fill a near-record number of available jobs.

Pay increased 1.5% in the third quarter, the Labor Department said Friday. That’s up sharply from 0.9% in the previous quarter. The value of benefits rose 0.9% in the July-September quarter, more than double the preceding three months.

Workers have gained the upper hand in the job market for the first time in at least two decades, and they are commanding higher pay, more benefits, and other perks like flexible work hours. With more jobs available than there are unemployed people, government data shows, businesses have been forced to work harder to attract staff.

The increase in wage growth is offset by a very similar increase in prices, but that affects people differently because the prices are skewed by some specific categories:

More AP posted:

However, compared with a year ago, it’s a closer call. In the year ending in September, wages and salaries soared 4.2%, also a record gain. But the government also reported Friday that prices increased 4.4% in September from year earlier. Excluding the volatile food and energy categories, inflation was 3.6% in the past year.

Jason Furman, a former top economic adviser to President Barack Obama, said Friday that inflation-adjusted wages still trail their pre-pandemic level, given the big price jumps that occurred over the spring and summer for new and used cars, furniture, and airline tickets.

Whether inflation fades in the coming months will determine how much benefit workers get from higher pay.
So if you don't buy a lot of gasoline, or if you didn't buy a car or furniture or airline tickets, there's a decent chance you've been feeling better off. A lot of people with long commutes are going to be worse off, because they use more gas and are more likely to need to replace their car.

This is probably related to the inequality in savings - middle class and upper middle class people are more likely to be working from home. I personally have spent way less on gas this year than I did in 2019, despite the prices going up. Poorer people are less likely to be able to work from home and more likely to feel the brunt of those price increases. They also are unlikely to qualify for the BIF's big rebates on electric cars because they can't afford electric cars, even with the rebates. They're also much more likely to have parking situations that preclude easy charging (although the BIF aims to help with that, at least).

A period of higher wage growth in the US after a long period of slower wage growth seems like something that would necessarily require inflation to be higher than it has been, since wage growth puts inflationary pressure on the economy. If the price increases slow down then people should start feeling their higher wages - hopefully price increases slowing won't be correlated with the wage growth also slowing. Things are just very volatile right now; if people didn't have higher-than-average savings right now, people would probably be even more concerned about the economy than they are.

e: Switching subjects,

Eric Cantonese posted:

Seems like a good idea - the lane departure system will keep you in your lane, but also notice that you are doing a pretty-piss poor job of staying in the lane on your own, and initiate impaired driving protocols.

\/\/\/\/\/ Love this idea.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Nov 9, 2021

selec
Sep 6, 2003

The Business section of the newspaper should also be accompanied by a Labor section, that included statistics like average household savings by quartile, average wage growth or loss, measures of the uninsured, measures of the people who are insured but can’t use it, percentage of people with no paid leave, information on new social programs or how to sign up for existing ones. Reporting on labor conditions at specific employers to help workers choose the best options, union drive info, and stats on the ratio of C suite pay at local companies compared to average worker pay there.

Basically information that is useful to people who don’t own stocks. You know you’d be doing it right when local businesses threaten to pull advertising over it.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

I love whenever I run across this article because Hayes just gets wronger and wronger with the benefit of hindsight.

lmbo no comment necessary

The part where he's scandalized that voters who think the war in Iraq is an unmitigated disaster with no hope of success aren't impressed by Kerry's plan to beg France for some troops.

Yeah that'll solve it. Remember when we got a smart Democrat in who knows big words and everything in Iraq was hunky-dory

Voters don't believe Kerry's lovely plan was going to fix the rising cost of premiums, wow what idiots. Surely once a smart Democrat passes some kind of patient protection and affordable care thingy healthcare will be easily affordable for all.

The voters he looked down on were 100% correct to have no faith in Kerry or his surrogates' promises, Hayes was the real rube.

I don't necessarily disagree with your critiques of those two particular items. Yeah, Kerry and the Democrats are bad. We all know, there's no need to belabor the point. I still think there's a lot in that post that is still instructive about how people outside of boards like this think about politics. It's not based on an ideology.

quote:

One man told me he voted for Bush in 2000 because he thought that with Cheney, an oilman, on the ticket, the administration would finally be able to make us independent from foreign oil. A colleague spoke to a voter who had been a big Howard Dean fan, but had switched to supporting Bush after Dean lost the nomination. After half an hour in the man's house, she still couldn't make sense of his decision. Then there was the woman who called our office a few weeks before the election to tell us that though she had signed up to volunteer for Kerry she had now decided to back Bush. Why? Because the president supported stem cell research. The office became quiet as we all stopped what we were doing to listen to one of our fellow organizers try, nobly, to disabuse her of this notion. Despite having the facts on her side, the organizer didn't have much luck.

I don't see this article as "looking down" on undecided voters. That's not the read I have at all. I 100% don't blame people for tuning this bullshit out. But I think it's important to recognize that you can have the best policies in the world and it might not mean poo poo because nobody pays attention or believes anything. It goes to the argument in this thread about left wing policy. Let's say the dems do a big left turn and start running on all kinds of great programs. $25 min wage, $3k/month UBI, Medicare 4 All, with dental and vision. Whatever. If voters just go ahead and attribute policy positions to candidates with no basis in reality ("Bush supports stem cells! The oil man will get us out of the foreign oil business!") then it kind of doesn't matter.

Edit: If your take away from that article is "Chris Hayes thinks undecided voters are rubes" then I guess saying "no they aren't, he's the real rube" is a fine reaction. My take away is that most voters don't think about politics the way politicians/media/junkies do, and traditional tactics will not reach those people.

It paints a dim picture about the prospects of democracy in general and I really don't have an answer for what to do about it.

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Nov 9, 2021

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Mellow Seas posted:

The increase in wage growth is offset by a very similar increase in prices, but that affects people differently because the prices are skewed by some specific categories:

I mean, okay, if you want to say prices are all over the place I'll believe you. I don't take issue with your suggestion that subsets not impacted by particular price hikes will be better off. But there is absolutely stagnation of what we can call a typical wage "hidden in the numbers". BLS data shows real median wages going down, not up, for every quarter since Q2 2020, including the most recent one. FRED charts haven't been updated for Q3 2021 yet, but show the same thing.

e: and taking a slightly longer view, as that NYT piece invites us to do, suggests similarly disappointing growth. I'm pretty suspicious of their choice to reference growth in average numbers when claiming "sharp" increases, particularly contrasted with the suggestion that said sharp increase was driven by lower earners.

eviltastic fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Nov 9, 2021

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

This was the description in the article:

Basically, it warns you if you have your eyes closed for extended periods. Then, it lets you know if you keep doing it. Finally, it automatically turns your hazards and pulls you into the shoulder if you still have your eyes closed/signs of unconsciousness.

GM, BMW, and Nissan have some versions of this already available. So, you could probably look at what they have and assume it will be pretty close to that.
I’m sure these systems, if implemented*, won’t be as notoriously buggy as current systems that disable your car until you pay for expensive repairs only a single company can do. Nor will the cost of this nanny-state poo poo get passed right onto the consumer, with a hefty upcharge because they can, would the auto industry ever do such a thing??

Surely people stuck on the side of the road with cars that just glitched out and disabled themselves will be grateful to the Dems, pledging to vote for the party as they shell out hundreds of dollars to the one company with a monopoly on parts.

*they won’t be

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
At one point in the past my only vehicle access was one that also was the primary of somebody who had a fresh DUI, so it had the breath based lock device for ignition. Holy hell was that the most annoying and patronizing poo poo. One morning I couldn't even start it because I was hungover from the night before.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

- Mandates new vehicles made after 2026 include a "passive automated system" to detect drunk driving and prevent drunk drivers from driving the car.

Seems like the most likely candidate is an infrared camera that can detect if the driver has their eyes closed or head down for long-periods of time while driving and "other signs of loss of consciousness or impairment" that warns you if it detects behavior, then puts your hazards on and pulls over if you are still keeping your eyes closed or head down for an extended period after warnings.
This has been in the works for a while, and there are multiple technologies in development here. There is a development project called the Driver Alcohol Detection System for Safety, to quote themselves: "brings together the Automotive Coalition for Traffic Safety (ACTS), which represents the world’s leading automakers, and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) in one of the most important government and private sector partnerships in transportation history."

The DADSS is focusing on two other technologies to prevent drunk driving. One is always on breath sensor that pulls in air from the driver's seat to constantly check the alcohol level in the driver's breath (supposedly somehow it won't get a reading from a drunk passenger). The other uses an infrared light built into the car, they suggest the start button or steering wheel, that shines on your finger and detects the level of ethanol in your blood.

VICE had an article on this a few months ago:

"VICE posted:

Of course, eliminating drunk driving through a passive monitoring system sounds great in theory. The big question is whether this technology actually works. Even simple breathalyzers hooked up to car ignitions that are often court-ordered after a DUI can malfunction, and tolerance for a finicky device that occasionally prevents sober people from driving their cars would not go over well with the general public. Given such a technology would likely be used hundreds of millions of times every single day if mandated, an error rate of even .01 percent would result in millions of mistakes a day.

DADSS is currently testing what it calls the "GEN 3.3" breath sensor and says it is installing it in fleet vehicles with zero tolerance alcohol policies for drivers later this year (which may indicate the sensors cannot yet reliably distinguish between alcohol levels at or near the legal limit of .08 blood alcohol content).
Even the camera technology can be a problem depending how it is setup. If you remember Amazon installed driver-facing cameras for their delivery vans that have been a massive headache: "If I look into my mirrors to make sure I am safe to change lanes, it dings me for distraction because my face is turned to look into my mirror." Or simply trusting a computer to recognize when people have their eyes open:

Rebel Blob fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Nov 9, 2021

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

socialsecurity posted:

Esp given the stated reason "Thinly veiled jabs at posting groups who you disagree with are still jabs at posting groups you disagree with." the TheIncredulousHulk post quoted in that post there is doing the exact same thing.

No it isn't?? I'm not taking a shot at anybody there you weirdo

And it's edited out now but last night that post ended in Sanguinia literally saying "please sixer me for this post"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

How are u posted:

At one point in the past my only vehicle access was one that also was the primary of somebody who had a fresh DUI, so it had the breath based lock device for ignition. Holy hell was that the most annoying and patronizing poo poo. One morning I couldn't even start it because I was hungover from the night before.

I had a bad online date once where the other party failed to inform me that they had one of those in their car from a prior DUI and used it as a way to stay over. :negative: