Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Eau de MacGowan posted:

a day after dunc and i guess im going to echo the sentiment that I just wish there was more colour in the movie

harkonnens: wear black
atreides: wear grey
sardaukar: wear pale stone
fremen: wear black

harkonnens: live on a black giger planet of oil and latex
sardaukar: live in a grey rainy ziggurat
fremen: live on a pale world of almost permanent twilight
atreides: live in scotland

I'm of the opposite opinion. For once I am so very happy that the aesthetic of the factions isn't color-coded in basic bitch fashion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augustus Woop-Woop
Dec 14, 2003
wang
The eyes of the spice addicted are too colorful.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
every adaptation has had a hard time w the eyes of ibad, its just hard to film but must be filmed

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

A false vision. Begone, specter.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Hey Elsa!
Do you Wanna build a spiderrrrr…

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The spider is Feyd and Paul fights it at the end of part 2, turns out that Kevin Smith producer is at it again.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

My Lovely Horse posted:

The spider is Feyd and Paul fights it at the end of part 2, turns out that Kevin Smith producer is at it again.
make up your mind thread

you can't have spider and also have sting

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
was there a reason duncan left his cool rear end stealth bomber thing on caladan

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Eau de MacGowan posted:

was there a reason duncan left his cool rear end stealth bomber thing on caladan

Chekhov’s cool rear end stealth bomber

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Eau de MacGowan posted:

out of gas

geidi
oil slick
petrol planet

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

The real reason is it was going to be the ship we see him jump out of above Arrakis as he tries to find the Fremen. They cut that scene but found another place to use the design.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Much like real life, stealth bombers don't work in sand. :science:

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Vampire Panties posted:

Much like real life, stealth bombers don't work in sand. :science:

ok you got me, whyzat?

i thought the us extensively used stealth fighters in the first gulf war

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

Vampire Panties posted:

I really wish they'd go into more detail about the smoked whale fur step. I guess if you have a drug that can make you even a tiny bit prescient, you could use that drug to find other drugs that make you more prescient? Like how did those dudes figure out that eating worm poop from an uninhabitable worm planet does all the poo poo it does?

Humans will literally do _anything_ to try and get high, and that includes eating the poo from gigantic worms that inhabit remote, uninhabitable planets.

Maybe even _especially_ poop from gigantic worms that exist in uninhabitable planets.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Given the stuff in the first novel, I imagine Arrakis was known and was being poked at, possibly as Imperial property direct, in order to provide somewhere to grow desert plants, given all the desert stuff. This also explains why there was all that "botanical testing station" stuff, the vague idea was to grow agave or whatever. There were probably the Fremen out in the desert, Fremenning it up, and some guys supporting the testing station.

Given what they call it, they probably discovered the spice when someone tasted it, said "Hey this tastes good," had it confirmed non poisonous... and a few weeks later, he asked why Kyle MacLachlan was yelling something about "fighters."

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cosmik Slop posted:

Nah, he dies in a spice blow. All the scavengers following him around are pissed that they have to miss their meal.

oh yeah

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Greggster posted:

Humans will literally do _anything_ to try and get high, and that includes eating the poo from gigantic worms that inhabit remote, uninhabitable planets.

Maybe even _especially_ poop from gigantic worms that exist in uninhabitable planets.

Do we know that zensunni migrants aren't descendants of the Burning Man diaspora?

phasmid posted:

ok you got me, whyzat?

i thought the us extensively used stealth fighters in the first gulf war

I dont actually know why dunc-bomber wasn't on Arrakis.

Re gulf war stealth bombers - the coating on F-117 and B-2 planes can't get wet, or at least couldn't then. They also require special hangers, and IIRC the b-2 was so finnicky that whenever it was used they just flew the mission from the US. Pretty much every problem the F-35 has, it inherited from a previous bird.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Earwicker posted:

isnt there also a special physical process unique to the Dune universe?

from https://dune.fandom.com/wiki/Holtzman_Effect

i got the impression they used the "folding space" technique to travel pre-spice but the spice and navigators made it safer? that is, it was used pre-spice but sometimes ships would just disappear

It's hilarious that Duneson turned Holtzman into a person Halley Comet

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Shageletic posted:

what? i mean the holtzmann effect being invented by some guy named holtzmann is what i always thought it was, is it stupider than that?

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Shageletic posted:

That's from the timeline in the appendix.

Edit: wait, that part of the appendix was from the encyclopedia, it just happened to be at the end of my copy of Dune back when I read it in the 90s :psyduck:

No Pants fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Nov 9, 2021

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Tree Bucket posted:

Prequel? I believe that word is an English borrowing of the French for "almost," presque; it's a literary term for ideas that might almost have made it in to a series, but were wisely rejected by the author, and thus were never written down, anywhere, ever.

The Kynes are such interesting characters. They're scientists in a setting where every other character is either a witch, monster, peasant, zealot, walking calculator or planetary feudal lord. Kynes talking about the objective measurement of ecology is a moment of wonderful clarity amid Dune's endless claustrophobic plans-within-plans. It's like a scrap of our world marooned among all the witches and assassins and prophets. It's easy to identify with Liet. And then he totally dies.
Liet is also Frank Herbert showing off the 6 years of research he did into dry-earth ecology and many other subjects, that he felt he had to look into before writing the book.

Mister Speaker posted:

Yeah, don't the Fremen think that Liet may have been the Lisan-al-Gaib or something?

They probably think that about every decent person who comes to live with them.
I'm pretty sure the myth of the Lisan-al-Gaib is meant to include a mother and her son whereas Liet is just the son of Pardot Kynes who went native because he found a people with incredible water discipline (the controlling factor for maintaining life in dry-earth ecology.

sebmojo posted:

what? i mean the holtzmann effect being invented by some guy named holtzmann is what i always thought it was, is it stupider than that?
Everything is stupider in the books that don't exist.

No Pants posted:

That's from the timeline in the appendix.

Edit: wait, that part of the appendix was from the encyclopedia, it just happened to be at the end of my copy of Dune back when I read it in the 90s :psyduck:
According to the introduction, the Dune Encyclopedia was something Frank Herbert approved, although he reserved the right to edit details in future books.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

According to the introduction, the Dune Encyclopedia was something Frank Herbert approved, although he reserved the right to edit details in future books.

After reading the quote they extracted from him, I think he mostly approved of his cut entering his checking account.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Tree Bucket posted:

Prequel? I believe that word is an English borrowing of the French for "almost," presque; it's a literary term for ideas that might almost have made it in to a series, but were wisely rejected by the author, and thus were never written down, anywhere, ever.

The Kynes are such interesting characters. They're scientists in a setting where every other character is either a witch, monster, peasant, zealot, walking calculator or planetary feudal lord. Kynes talking about the objective measurement of ecology is a moment of wonderful clarity amid Dune's endless claustrophobic plans-within-plans. It's like a scrap of our world marooned among all the witches and assassins and prophets. It's easy to identify with Liet. And then he totally dies.

The appendix about the Kynes is just a wonderful work of short fiction that can be enjoyed as it’s own self contained short story. Just this normal guy (compared to the duneverse) trying to explain advanced ecology to Klingons that only survives because the guy they send to kill him trips onto his own knife.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Pardot might be my favourite character. He just loves his job so much, that he doesn't even notice people are trying to murder him.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

THE BAR posted:

Pardot might be my favourite character. He just loves his job so much, that he doesn't even notice people are trying to murder him.

He's great. He's very un-Dune-ish.
I just realised I don’t actually like any of the other characters. I know that's not the point, but still.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Tree Bucket posted:

He's great. He's very un-Dune-ish.
I just realised I don’t actually like any of the other characters. I know that's not the point, but still.

Any character that enjoys what it's doing is great in my book.

Piter is the Pardot of Team Evil.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

sebmojo posted:

Is it stupider than that?

Imagine the stupidest thing you can. Now beat yourself about the head with a hammer and try again.

You're not a single step down the path to how stupid the unwritten books get.

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus
Liet’s death in the film owned but I also really liked the death in the book. Dehydrated, hallucinating about desert ecology and his dead dad, all that planetary science melding with a messianic thing about the big greenening before blowing the gently caress up in an example of the very ecological processes he studied all his life, fully aware of it and nearly ecstatic the whole while, great trippy stuff. A culmination of the character.

Probably wouldn’t on work on screen though. The film Liet’s death was maybe a little more conventionally badass as a way to go but hey, it was badass.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

GhastlyBizness posted:

Probably wouldn’t on work on screen though. The film Liet’s death was maybe a little more conventionally badass as a way to go but hey, it was badass.

I'm sure it's symbolism 101 and discussed ad nauseum in this thread, but I really liked how FILM LIET SPOILERS when she was stabbed, instead of a blood spray you saw the water from the stillsuit shoot out. It was a nice nod to the importance of water to the Fremen notion that water is as important to their survival as blood

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Doctor Yueh has had the first of his thousand deaths.

https://deadline.com/2021/11/dean-stockwell-dead-quantum-leap-star-1234870413/

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Vampire Panties posted:

I really wish they'd go into more detail about the smoked whale fur step. I guess if you have a drug that can make you even a tiny bit prescient, you could use that drug to find other drugs that make you more prescient? Like how did those dudes figure out that eating worm poop from an uninhabitable worm planet does all the poo poo it does?

Melange is in the air, it’s impossible not to notice. Just breathing in the atmosphere there gives you small but noticeable exposure.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Haven't heard this mentioned yet, but anyone else get Lynch Sting vibes from the sacrifices on the Sardaukar Pyramid? It felt like a nice subtle nod from DV.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

DandyLion posted:

Haven't heard this mentioned yet, but anyone else get Lynch Sting vibes from the sacrifices on the Sardaukar Pyramid? It felt like a nice subtle nod from DV.

Idk if this is a nod, but the Baron’s introductory scene where he’s just sitting dead eyed in the steam bath definitely was

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

AFewBricksShy posted:

I'm sure it's symbolism 101 and discussed ad nauseum in this thread, but I really liked how FILM LIET SPOILERS when she was stabbed, instead of a blood spray you saw the water from the stillsuit shoot out. It was a nice nod to the importance of water to the Fremen notion that water is as important to their survival as blood

It's also interesting that Lynch did exactly the same thing with the character in that same scene too, even though the context is completely different.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Anyone have an extra 30 or 40 grand laying around?

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer

DandyLion posted:

Imagine if they were all wearing that speedo lol

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I took it as a tribute to the castration scene from The Holy Mountain.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Halloween Jack posted:

I took it as a tribute to the castration scene from The Holy Mountain.

Shaddam definitely has a sanctuary of 1000 testicles

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

If I did, I'd buy it and burn it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

skasion posted:

Shaddam definitely has a sanctuary of 1000 testicles
In the prequels we find out that they were Bene Gesserit super-testicles.