Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I genuinely think you have to go back to Ray Clemence to get a regular England keeper who you don't have to give a disclaimer for. Going backwards on this list, ignoring players with less than 10 caps:

Ray Clemence: Definitely wouldn't have been out-jumped by a five-and-a-half foot Argentinian or fallen flat on his arse dealing with a routine deflected shot. England would have won the World Cup in 86 *and* 90 if he'd been in goal instead of that loving Tory Peter Shilton. Now you might say he retired in 88 but I say wouldn't you cut your career short if that pube-headed oval office kept getting picked in front of you?

Or if Neville Southall had played for England instead of Wales

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Lampard in Advanced Talks for the Norwich job because chairmen just will not loving learn

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I feel like Lampard could do a decent job at a comfortably lower-midtable team with a good academy and lots of promising youth players, but a desperate Norwich that's almost certainly doomed does not seem like a good fit.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I think he will get a decent new manager bounce out of them but then things will quickly tail off and there will be lots of shots of him looking sad and confused in the technical area, and he will say in his press conference that they can't keep giving away soft goals.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Lampard did well at Derby and when Chelsea werent able to buy any players, but he quickly looked out of his depth once he was expected to suddenly win with a team he hadnt put together.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

If his time at Chelsea is anything to go by Lampard is very good at playing/developing youth and very bad at defensive organisation, which seems like exactly the opposite of what Norwich needs if they want to stay up. This calls for a Large Samuel-type, imo.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/WestHam/status/1458008428559884291?t=DkRpa9M1hf3lQhbwwYnPWQ&s=19

jesus, poor guy had a rough game

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Whether or not Lampard would be good for Norwich is debatable but I'm pretty certain Norwich wouldn't be good for Lampard. Absolute poison chalice and I would give him close to 0% chance of keeping them up. As previously mentioned this gig isn't his dance based on his prior experience. As much as I was dismayed when Big Sam came to Everton he is exactly what Norwich need now.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Andoman posted:

Whether or not Lampard would be good for Norwich is debatable but I'm pretty certain Norwich wouldn't be good for Lampard. Absolute poison chalice and I would give him close to 0% chance of keeping them up. As previously mentioned this gig isn't his dance based on his prior experience. As much as I was dismayed when Big Sam came to Everton he is exactly what Norwich need now.

He might not be being hired to keep them up, it might be more locking down someone who can win the Championship with them next season

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Seems like an odd decision to drop Farke now if that's the case?

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Unless they want to give him 2 transfer windows to build a squad I guess?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

TheRat posted:

Seems like an odd decision to drop Farke now if that's the case?

Norwich don't care if they're a yo-yo club, but Farke hasn't made them any stronger over the previous yo. They've not sacked him because they're afraid of relegation, but he's not done the job they're expecting of him.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Andoman posted:

Allardyce failed at West Brom, and didn't really seem to give much of a poo poo. I reckon he's done.

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

TheRat posted:

I feel like Lampard could do a decent job at a comfortably lower-midtable team with a good academy and lots of promising youth players, but a desperate Norwich that's almost certainly doomed does not seem like a good fit.

Lampard should run as a Tory MP and complete his transition into a full oval office

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Steve Bruce is available

Alternatively Alan Pardew

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

In solidarity with Derby, Lampard will take Norwich to beat the lowest points total for a season

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
:gonk:

I was surprised he stayed on after he twisted his knee because it looked bad. Luckily Jota knew something was off and sent him to the doctor's office.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/MikeKeegan_DM/status/1457839463716081665

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

That list is missing Paul Robinson, who was quite good from what I remember

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

*For an English goalkeeper.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

Just don't mention the back pass that broke him

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
that one shootout in the 06 world cup was pretty bad

he was real solid for spurs though, or so i remember. until he too got very bad very quickly for some mysterious reason

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
The Telegraph have started doing proper articles on the Gerrard to Villa story so now I’m just resigned to everything being poo poo.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Can Gerrard and lampard manage in the same league

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

the sex ghost posted:

We won’t find out because Gerrard is staying obviously.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I appreciate that there are better managers than Gerrard out there, but the work he's done with Rangers is much more impressive than what Lampard did with Derby.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

tarbrush posted:

I appreciate that there are better managers than Gerrard out there, but the work he's done with Rangers is much more impressive than what Lampard did with Derby.

Is the Scottish League even remotely close to The Championship, though?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Weaponized Cum posted:

Yeah it's probably only a few hour drive to most of the grounds

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Weaponized Cum posted:

Less competitive certainly and I would imagine that given the PL parachute payments there is probably more cash splashing around the championship than the SPL but that said managing Rangers (or Celtic for that matter), is still a tough gig and he has done well. Not enough experience for Liverpool yet but I reckon he is ready to cut his teeth in the PL

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Weaponized Cum posted:

Eh, dunno about that. I'd say Rangers and Celtic could probably beat top Championship teams but the rest of the SPL is fairly bad.

The impressive thing Gerrard did was dethrone Celtic's 10 in a row season by absolutely waffle stomping the league and winning by 20 points in the end.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Lets not kid ourselves here, Celtic very much dethroned themselves.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

TheRat posted:

Lets not kid ourselves here, Celtic very much dethroned themselves.

Celtic collapsed but Rangers also went undefeated so...

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

the sex ghost posted:

One stays (up) one goes (down).

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Yeah, "just" winning the SPL isn't *that* impressive, it was the manner in which they did it.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Yeah they also only conceeded 10 goals in the entire season

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I put Stevie's advanced managerial stats into an SPL to prem converter and the machine is giving off sparks and printing off 'aston villa win the league' over and over

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

It’s a difficult one to quantify because the vast riches of PL money (and the shockingly bad deals the SPFL negotiate) absolutely distorts ‘normal’ football comparisons - Aberdeen manage better attendances than Bournemouth but make £100m less, without Leicester and the miracle win, the PL would be as dominated by four clubs in 20 as the SPFL is by 2 teams in 12, nobody bitches that City make 10x Fulham when they beat them etc etc etc.

Winning the league was obviously important last season, and the defensive performances incredible. Cups were poo poo and any time a keeper comes up for a corner I’m going to have flashbacks. If you’d asked, people would have taken that particular one out of the three though. The recent domination of the Old Firm is also a sign that him and Beale are able to adapt really well to different challenges.

Realistically, the only way to judge him it is to look at European results, and over the last three and a bit seasons Gerrard has managed incredible runs to the knockouts that have rocketed Scotland up into the second tier of European football outside of the ‘top 5/6’ leagues. Compare that to some of the PL clubs and the performances have been good - though you can then argue that Spurs/Arsenal/Chelsea see the initial rounds as training and youth opportunities, and the likes of Burnley see it as a distraction so the results aren’t 1:1 comparable.

I still don’t see him leaving the potential Champions League group stage experience at Rangers for the slog of Villa in the Prem*. If he were a non-player manager, then maybe the financials would make it more attractive, but it’s not like him, Lampard and the like aren’t able to pick and choose quite carefully given how set they are. Might be more hope than expectation there though.

*maybe not even, I hadn’t realised how bad a run they’d been on.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

CyberPingu posted:

I'd say Rangers and Celtic could probably beat top Championship teams

lmao

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

You are right, maybe just Rangers. Celtic are poo poo now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Wrexham will get promoted to the Prem before you :lol: