Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I’m clearly outnumbered here and made my case as best I could with the given information, but it’s bleak. Both sisters are clearly in the wrong for stealing and for covering up for it. The brother is rightfully outraged and is doing what he thinks is right against the injustices his sisters and family at large brought on him. However, it has and will continue to be a tremendous burden on him psychologically for the rest of his life, even if his sister getting punished makes him (and us, the audience) happy in the short term. :(

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

theflyingexecutive posted:

I’m clearly outnumbered here and made my case as best I could with the given information, but it’s bleak. Both sisters are clearly in the wrong for stealing and for covering up for it. The brother is rightfully outraged and is doing what he thinks is right against the injustices his sisters and family at large brought on him. However, it has and will continue to be a tremendous burden on him psychologically for the rest of his life, even if his sister getting punished makes him (and us, the audience) happy in the short term. :(

His sister has been a tremendous psychological burden on him his whole life.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

However, it has and will continue to be a tremendous burden on him psychologically for the rest of his life, even if his sister getting punished makes him (and us, the audience) happy in the short term. :(

boy, that really sucks for him! if only there was some way to bring the person responsible for this psychological burden to justice :sigh:

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Real talk, you're absolutely right that "living well" would 100% be more of a healthy alternative for this poor guy.

unfortunately, like most humans, his tragic bitter husk lacks the Buddha's more enlightened qualities and so he's doing what he can: seeking justice through the machinery put in place (for better or worse) to help him attain that justice.

But I'm sure he would appreciate your incisive perspective on his mental health.

All he needs to understand is that

It's only a felony in the eyes of the law.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Feed the inheritance thief feet-first into a woodchipper.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Well I’m sure that if he does nothing it won’t be a psychological burden that his one sister traumatically bullied him his whole childhood and then stole tens of thousands of dollars from him, his other sister cares so little about him that the babysitting she gets from the cruel thief makes makes her shrug and say drop it, and that he did nothing to stand up for himself and continued to get abused into adulthood

he’ll be fine

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

That’s peanuts. I have been in a group chat with just 8 elder millennials ever since ios messages moved off of sms, and it still gets 400-500 messages per day, like 16-20 messages per hour.

100 zoomers should be able to do way better than 100 messages an hr.

I remember in a systems class we did a small case study on communications during 9/11.
IIRC, the NYC area at the time could handle about 2000 SMS messages per minute.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

This is the weirdest thing ever

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

kimbo305 posted:

I remember in a systems class we did a small case study on communications during 9/11.
IIRC, the NYC area at the time could handle about 2000 SMS messages per minute.

In intro to comp sci we learned that when Victoria secret put its catalog online for the first time it shut down all websites that used adjacent server space.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Any more chat about this inheritance situation without new content gets a sixer

Them and their descendants

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

teen witch posted:

It's only a 6'er in the eyes of the mods.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

E: just caught up with the thread

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for telling my son the truth that the reason I had zero contact with him while he grew up is because I hate kids?

Tell me you were abused without telling me you were abused. This is sad, guy needs :smith: badly

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
He needs a sad egg?

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

teen witch posted:

Excuse me, the United States Constitution, where the SA servers are based, clearly says

quote:

No Bill of attainder or Ex post facto law shall be passed.

therefore you cannot sixer descendants :colbert:

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA? For telling my brother and his wife that I will be suing them for selling the nursery I gave them?

quote:

I (f36) lost my 3 year old son from a chronic condition that he was born with. I struggled a lot with his illness and receieved a lot of support from my family when my ex husband was too busy with work than care for his son.

When my brother and his wife found out they were expecting (they suffered from a miscarriage after a miscarriage) and because of their financial situation I decided to lend them my son's nursery to use for their baby under the condition they give it back when they no longer need it. It's an expensive nursery and the process of shipping (I live in another country) took me time and money and of course not to mention it's sentimental value.

They were so grateful for my help and appreciated it a lot but my sister in law unfortunately lost her baby at 5 months in the pregnancy and I heard from my mother since my brother and sister in law went low contact with everyone to be able to grieve. I waited few months before asking for the nursery back since they no longer need it. I called and asked my brother to send it back despite how cruel I sounded but I just had to get it back but I was shocked after my brother said they sold it, all of it, every single piece. I asked why and he said his wife was depressed and he needed money to take her on a vacation a month ago. I lost my temper and started screaming at him on the phone reminding him that this belonged to my son and only for them to borrow not sell. He apologized and asked me to be understanding of his wife's position as a grieving mother myself. I said no THEY should have considered how selling my son's nursery would affect me as a grieving mother and he replied that he didn't think I was being fair to scream at him for wanting to help his wife through these hard times. I told him that is not my problem and that I will be suing them both over the nursery and for every penny he made out of selling it. He called me nuts and hung up then called my parents. They tried to get involved after I threatened to sue and called me callous and unhinged for threatening my brother and sister in law with court and told me to let it go I don't need the nursery and it's not worth causing permenant damage in my relationship with my brother over "few pieces of furniture". My ex husband blamed me saying it was my fault for giving the nursery to my brother but I just wanted to help. He keeps pushing for the idea to sue but my parents are telling me not to.

Am i the rear end in a top hat for wanting to sue them for the nursery that cost us nearly over 4k?

Just to explain something : My ex husband gets a say because he paid for the nursery as well and he keeps pushing for me to sue and told me he'll do it if I choose to back down. He keeps saying it's my fault for letting my brother have the nursery in the first place and he's very upset with me about it.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Propaniac posted:

My [20M] girlfriend [19F] asked me what I see in her and I responded as bad as you can respond

Your partner probably can't and probably shouldn't be meeting all your social needs. I can't expect what kind of answer she was expecting.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Family inheritance drama makes me super glad I'm an only child.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA? For telling my brother and his wife that I will be suing them for selling the nursery I gave them?

now this one just loaded the decorum train up with coal

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

kntfkr posted:

Family inheritance drama makes me super glad I'm an only child.

Don't underestimate the ability of parent's siblings and your cousins to still somehow make it miserable.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Soylent Pudding posted:

If she couldn't stand to part with the furniture why did she ship it to someone else??

Also
:decorum:
It's not a life-changing amount of money to destroy a relationship over. OP should drop it.
:decorum:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Soylent Pudding posted:

Don't underestimate the ability of parent's siblings and your cousins to still somehow make it miserable.

yeah, in most of the inheritance stories that end up in this thread it seems like it's the older generations that hijack the inheritance (either because I LOST A CHILD/SIBLING or because well billy bob's kids were already doing ok for themselves but poor cousin jimbo's being eaten alive by five different child support payments.)

for starters, they're more likely to be on the will as executors without the extra step of forging their appointment paperwork

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

The nursery is obviously cursed and kills children. It was incredibly irresponsible to sell it instead of having it destroyed under the supervision of an exorcist.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

quote:

I’m posting here because I don’t know if I made the right decision and I still have time to reverse it. I don’t want what is TECHNICALLY right, I know I can kick anyone out of my house who is an adult and not paying rent. I just want to know if I was an rear end in a top hat for this.

My brother was supposed to be watching my son (3 years old) while I was visiting family. He sent me these weird texts right before I got home until he called and explained to me he had a date come over, but she started acting really crazy and hasn’t left.

When I got back home, the girl was still there, CRYING. I tried to talk to her but she wasn’t saying anything that made sense. My brother said he didn’t do anything to her, they started hooking up and then she started freaking out. I ended up driving her home in her car and she explained things a little more to me, but not why she was so upset. She did say she just met him on Tinder, and I told her I couldn’t believe she talked a little bit with a guy on Tinder and just…went to his house? I tried to give her a safety talk but she just told me she wasn’t in the right state of mind at the time which confirmed her problem wasn’t my brother.

I told my brother I couldn’t believe he brought a stranger over when my son was there and he said he was asleep the whole time. I said I didn’t care, you can’t bring strangers over ESPECIALLY for sex when he’s supposed to be looking after my son. Then I said having a stranger over is dangerous and he said she’s an eighteen year old girl (he’s 20, not a creep), she’s not like bringing a grown man over. He did that “I’m sorry for trying to have a personal life” thing and I told him he’s leaving by the end of the week.

This morning I honestly feel pretty bad but instead of apologizing to me he’s just avoiding me. Which is making me not want to go back on what I said. AITA?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

yeah don't bring strangers over when you're babysitting someone's kid. open and shut case, Johnson

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

I have a difficult time believing anything other than the brother trying to rush things and maybe even forcing her so they could get it over with before the kid woke up and/or the OP came home.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Kurieg posted:

Your partner probably can't and probably shouldn't be meeting all your social needs. I can't expect what kind of answer she was expecting.

yeah this one is really toxic. If your partner is all things to you, that's actually bad.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
There is definitely an amount of money that it's worth tanking a relationship over. It depends on the relationship though too, the degree of malice or incompetence, and the other costs like emotional harm and opportunity costs borne by the wronged party.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Kurieg posted:

“You’re meeting all my needs as a partner.”

Who knows if that was the answer she was looking for, but that’s the goalpost.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Soylent Pudding posted:

Exactly. The real winning move is to die completely destitute and leave no inheritance behind! That's what both my parents did and it made everything pain free! Actually, it still managed to be a nightmare. I have relatives I've never even met coming out of the woodwork trying to get some of my mom's ashes and they don't take "she wanted them spread at X location" as an acceptable answer.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Kurieg posted:

sounds like they're just kids fumbling through communication problems. she's looking for reassurance and he tried to play it off cool and gave a terrible answer, damaging the relationship. these things happen when you're new to romance

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Soysaucebeast posted:

Exactly. The real winning move is to die completely destitute and leave no inheritance behind! That's what both my parents did and it made everything pain free! Actually, it still managed to be a nightmare. I have relatives I've never even met coming out of the woodwork trying to get some of my mom's ashes and they don't take "she wanted them spread at X location" as an acceptable answer.

Wait, what does everyone want a part of the ashes for? :psyduck:

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
the combination of young 'comfort me' anxiety radiating from her with the totally obtuse mis-step of 'mediocrates' from him is *chef's kiss*'

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for getting frustrated my girlfriend doesn't take activities seriously at all?

quote:

A lot of my hobbies are semi competitive, gaming, tabletop gaming, triathlon, etc. My girlfriend's hobbies are hiking, camping, painting, and yoga.

I've been kind of frustrated trying to include her in some of my hobbies.

First, we were hanging out at my friends house playing Catan, a strategy game. She kept on trying to build the longest road in the game, which can give you a small bonus towards winning but will not alone win the game. She wasn't trying at the point of the game at all, she was just kinda joking around.

Me and my friends do play to win so having someone ignore the point of the game to just be silly messed with our game.

Another time, we were playing video games with my friends and she didn't really try to learn the controls. It made my friends feel like they had to carry her through the game for the group to progress. She got bored of playing and stopped partway through which was also frustrating because the game was harder to play with an undersized team.

Another time, she and her friends went to pub trivia and some of her friends were trying to answer the questions and she just hung out and wrote silly joke answers on the answer sheet. When she brought it up the host gave her extra points for humor tho and that really encouraged her to keep on not taking it seriously even when she knew the answers she was making jokes.

Her friends weren't too bothered but I got frustrated because we were in second place to win 60 bucks for the group and she threw it away for a joke. I told her it bothered me and she said she and her friends were just there to have a laugh, they weren't too bothered about winning.

One more time, we'd decided to do a charity bike race and she showed up with her fixie bike; with one gear that isn't great for hills. She has a good road bike too. I mentioned this and she said that she'd just get a great leg workout then. It frustrated me though because it seemed like she'd purposely handicapped herself for the race. She said that it was for charity, we already supported the charity with our race fees and donation, it didn't have to be that serious.

After all that, I got pretty frustrated with her and said that she was being pretty inconsiderate by not making an honest effort for anything.

She said she was frustrated with me for putting arbitrary poo poo like a video game or riding a bike fast over her as a person. And she feels disrespected when I act like a video game or a game that is supposed to be fun is sooo much more important than just having a nice time with everyone.

I said I wasn't trying to hold poo poo over her, and she said that is what it feels like when I lecture her or tell her she is doing things wrong. And that when I came to pub trivia with her friends, I made them uncomfortable by taking it too seriously and lecturing her.

AITA for wishing my girlfriend would take activities more seriously?

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Lmao, she should swirlie him

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

MagusofStars posted:

they're just being greedy, it's not like it's even a life-changing amount of ashes

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Speaking of uncle's ruining estate fights:

AITA for selling a family home while my grandpa is still alive?

quote:

My mom has been helping my grandfather(her father-in-law) out for almost 20 years. He’s been sick for a while now, and she has been taking care of his finances and things like that.

Recently grandpa has taken a turn for the worse and had to be put in a nursing home for the remainder of his life due to constant medical needs.

My uncle is sueing my mom for power of attorney and removing her from the will. He doesn’t like my mom or my dad. He’s the oldest and now thinks since my grandpa is venerable, my uncle is taking advantage of the situation.

Unbeknownst to them, I’m well off but live 2000 miles away. I bought out my grandpa’s home a few years back so he could be comfortable and not worry about money. (He had cancer at the time and needed funds)

So now, since the market is good and my uncle is an rear end, I’m placing it on the market as soon as everything gets cleaned out. My grandpa’s new will left my uncle the contents of the house but not the home itself. I filed the legal paperwork and said, get this poo poo out. You have 30 days.

I made it clear that he can exhaust his fees on lawyers and it’s not going to hurt me in the long run financially like it would my uncle and his children.

My uncle is just being greedy and I’m sick of him. I’m also getting a lawyer to examine the will because technically it’s not the contents of my grandpa’s home but now it’s mine.

My uncle is just looking for a payday once my grandpa dies and I’m not having it.

So I’m taking other measures and now the rest of the family thinks I’m an rear end in a top hat for blocking my uncle with lawyers and selling a family home.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for getting frustrated my girlfriend doesn't take activities seriously at all?

loving around while playing board games or card games does pretty much ruin the game. I'm ambivalent about the pub trivia, and don't give a poo poo about the charity race

some people definitely do that because they didn't want to play the game, so they undermine it to manipulate the situation. it's frustrating because even if it's obvious that's what they're doing, you can't really call them out on it without looking like a prick.

I don't think op's girlfriend is doing this, but in my experience, they're just getting rid of distractions from what they really want to do: get shitfaced drunk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

MagusofStars posted: