Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Just going to leave this here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/1458007055088955393

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Hillary 2024 posted:

There's a Chinese mega corp with $300 billion in debts that is almost definitely going to default - when this happens a whole lot of Chinese equity will evaporate with knock-on effects globally.
https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1440984884210774021?s=20

I'm not sure how bad that will actually be. I mean, some bankers will have a lovely day, but it's not like 2008 where all the big finance companies essentially bought in deep to a mortgage system that might as well have been a raccoon with cotton candy. It'll have to send some dominoes toppling and I suspect that one bad company isn't enough to do that.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Chinese accounting standards are such poo poo and their financial system is such nonsense, the government probably is anti-crypto for competition reasons more than anything else.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Zil posted:

Just going to leave this here

I'm the carefully drawn different noses to indicate that the artist isn't jewish.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Random Stranger posted:

I'm not sure how bad that will actually be. I mean, some bankers will have a lovely day, but it's not like 2008 where all the big finance companies essentially bought in deep to a mortgage system that might as well have been a raccoon with cotton candy. It'll have to send some dominoes toppling and I suspect that one bad company isn't enough to do that.

It will have very serious effects in the Asian Market, this company is HUGE, $300 Billion debt, that's 2% of China's GDP.

The reason people think it might hit crypto is because remember when tether claimed it was 100% backed by cash and cash equivalents but actually turned out to be just 3.67%? Well its bulk of backing is commercial paper(65%), short form loans which people think the vast majority of are from China. The same 171 banks and 120 odd financial firms who Evergrande owes money to.

If the Chinese economy has a mini 2008 it could cause tether to tumble and it would have a big effect on crypto markets, and be a huge red flag to a lot of governments who are already critical of crypto.

It will also most certainly cause a credit crunch as well as leaving many of the 12 million people with Evergrande property possibly in serious trouble.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I don't understand. Why would holding fake worthless bonds matter to a fake worthless currency company?

Just keep lying, problem solved.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Lol if you think Tether’s claims aren’t just made up in the first place, or that it affects anything if that commercial paper goes poof

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Well they already got fined $41 million by the CFTC for lying. I guess they could try lying again and hope they don't notice.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che
haha i can't believe i missed this part earlier in the "help fbi he stole my apes" saga

https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/1455275645643026432

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Main Paineframe posted:

I think he's real, but intentionally playing it up and being over the top about it

the cryptocurrency he co-founded, Bloot, appears to be a real cryptocurrency that he's genuinely trying to sell and make money off. on the other hand, Bloot's official tagline is "Bloot: It's Basically Worthless"

so I think this whole thing is operating at levels of irony I can barely comprehend

One of my friends ironically joked himself into being a hardcore crypto guy, and peppers his crypto rants with anti-crypto memes. If you're at all intelligent, you need to do that kind of thing to manage the cognitive dissonance it takes to cope with your gambling problem.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Besides transaction fees, and effort, why aren’t people just creating parallel tokens that also point at those shittily drawn monkeys?

This has to have been done before, right? I wonder how much slap fighting this has caused over which official NFT is the real one.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Counterfeit NFTs. Would that finally destroy them or would it somehow lend them more credibility?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Tnuctip posted:

Besides transaction fees, and effort, why aren’t people just creating parallel tokens that also point at those shittily drawn monkeys?

This has to have been done before, right? I wonder how much slap fighting this has caused over which official NFT is the real one.

The people trading NFTs between the same 5 people for money laundering don't care if you make your own NFTs. It costs you money to publish them and just works to support the price of eth.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Tnuctip posted:

The auction/management platforms, who's income is dependent on the grift looking valuable, is still there to enforce a semblance of something resembling copyright enforcement through stuff like blacklisting on forward facing auction sites or not giving the kingpins kiss on their proprietary contract.

Anyone can put anything in any contract on Ethereum but it's hard and gross and getting pretty expensive.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
I'm listening to the Jimquisition on NFTs and it's pretty funny.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
Wow, stealing other people's art, making money off it and then admitting that NFTs are a "scam" is pretty scummy stuff.

I remember the Bitcoin thread back in the old days when the whole thing seemed dumb but it just seems downright evil to me now.

e: house burglars have the right to feel moral superiority to people who are into crypto because at least they're only robbing people. They're not destroying the environment.

Prurient Squid fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Nov 9, 2021

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The art was in their hosed up addled brains the whole time

There needs to be a better way to refer to crypto people

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Prurient Squid posted:

e: house burglars have the right to feel moral superiority to people who are into crypto because at least they're only robbing people. They're not destroying the environment.

they also create a whole security industry, they're job creators! crypto just makes layers of scams

e: gently caress i forgot about how the cybersecurity industry has massively grown due to crypto ransomware

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/ElectionDayMad1/status/1458092504289579025?s=20

Hillary 2024 fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Nov 9, 2021

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/MOusegg/status/1434076358670422017?t=HXGvecLR2DlKzwv3nRo4Bg&s=19

As far as I can tell these people are serious, including the $420.69 guy. It's just impossible to look away from, like watching people's brains unravel in their skulls in real time.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Oh so they like regulations

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

jokes posted:

Oh so they like regulations

I'm pretty sure crypto bro there is making a joke... but not completely sure.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/CarallotArts/status/1458102686121959424

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Tnuctip posted:

Gutcruncher posted:

Counterfeit NFTs. Would that finally destroy them or would it somehow lend them more credibility?

Whichever token gets on the blockchain first is considered the official one. You can mint as many duplicate tokens as you like but crypto bros won't buy them and will just mock you instead. Unless you somehow manage to create a secondary market in duplicate tokens in which case they'll turn up in droves.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

https://twitter.com/I_am_the_Carl/status/1457883068937773056

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Large scale financial fraud in that tweet

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Hillary 2024 posted:

Whichever token gets on the blockchain first is considered the official one. You can mint as many duplicate tokens as you like but crypto bros won't buy them and will just mock you instead. Unless you somehow manage to create a secondary market in duplicate tokens in which case they'll turn up in droves.

But did they put the token on NFTchain, the only* cryptocurrency dedicated to tracking the minting and transfer of NFTs?

* See also blockNFT, which also claims to be the only cryptocurrency dedicated to tracking the minting and transfer of NFTs.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/ElectionDayMad1/status/1436349557361844226

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Breaking news: NFTchain has splintered into NFTcoin.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

jokes posted:

Large scale financial fraud in that tweet

Exactly why I am helping it spread. They can't DMCA all of us.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

help i clicked on too many crypto related tweets and now my feed is full of ads like this

what does that even mean

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

repiv posted:

help i clicked on too many crypto related tweets and now my feed is full of ads like this

what does that even mean

Few people understand this

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Supercharge this

*points at a rechargeable battery*

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

repiv posted:

what does that even mean

You don't have to click crypto related tweets to get flooded with crypto ads. There's been a huge uptick in ad spending by crypto "companies" so the ads are showing up everywhere, online and offline. I know of there are several billboards shilling crypto near me.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

repiv posted:

what does that even mean

Probably best to just spend a whole lot of money on it and see what happens.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

repiv posted:

what does that even mean

"We think this ad loaded with acronyms will give you FOMO so you'll panic and buy crypto allowing me and my mates to cash out enough to buy a boat"

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I recently went to one of those tabletop game stores and it had a bitcoin ATM and it seemed funny to me. That’s my bitcoin story.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

CaptainSarcastic posted:

At this point it's really hard not to think that Tropofarmer guy is anything more than a gimmick account.

I miss Lovecraftian Journal. That was a good gimmick account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Vesi posted:

it's like Albania in 1997 but instead of people naive to capitalism it's about computers

at least the prime ministers/presidents aren't running their own ponzi (yet)

*cough cough*El Salvador*wheeze choke*