Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escape From Noise

aldantefax posted:

You are all cordially invited to come to my place and we shall have hot pot

I'm way into hot pot with friends

Edit: Hot Pot Snypah:golgo:

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Nov 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise

Reynolds, if you are reading this, hear me out: Thanksgiving hot pot Turkey. PM me for details and a payment plan.

Zurtilik

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I don't think I've ever had hot pot but it looks p. good.

Escape From Noise

Zurtilik posted:

I don't think I've ever had hot pot but it looks p. good.

I really recommend it. It's really good and a fun time!

pnac attack

by Fluffdaddy

aldantefax posted:

love hot pot

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Escape From Noise

Man...I haven't been to a fuckin nabe party in forever!

Farecoal

There he go
Deleted due to potential unchillness

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Nov 9, 2021

Code Jockey

69420 basic bytes free

aldantefax posted:

hell yes. :)

One of my specialties is sukiyaki, which reminds me of hot pot, and it is so freaking easy and SO GOOD

Just make a sauce (iirc, mirin, sake, soy sauce and brown sugar?), bring it to simmer then kill the heat, then pour it into a like 2" deep pan on a little gas burner on the table (and make sure you're in a well ventilated area lol) and keep it simmering while just adding whatever you want, letting it cook and then eating it nice and fresh out the pan at the table. I usually set little plates all around the pan with the stuff we plan to cook.

I use enoki mushrooms, napa cabbage, thin (specifically sukiyak-sliced) beef, sometimes I'll get super thin sliced tongue too, and maybe some nice glass noodles. I did tofu once, but I really want to try freshly frying some, letting it cool then doing it. The prefried tofu isn't the same.

So good. Just so good. And such a social meal. The most time intensive thing is prepping the stuff to go into the pot to look pretty, but you don't have to. Like pnac said, it's people over presentation. :)

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
I was arguing with my dad last week about "changes" that younger generations are making and he was upset that things aren't the way they used to be (he's 70).

Me: "... But things always change. Your generation changed things from the previous."

Him: *scoff*

Me: "YOU actively changed things."

He was responsible for developing all sorts of new tech in his time from news print layouts that maximized advertising space in papers all over the country, to installing some of the first e-911 systems in major cities, to being one of the largest contractors for scheduling software for life insurance companies. I mean, he had writeups in the Kansas City Star about how his businesses were ushering in a new 'mobile' way of doing business by adopting these fanciful briefcase phones for businessmen on the go.

But it was okay for him to change things. Just not his kids. It's just pure, unadulterated self-centeredness.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

My dad was a g man and did a lot of stuff and then became not a g man anymore and did a lot of stuff and he still gets mad that I go put bandaids on people that need it and give people Mason jars of soup in parks buy he is also angry that fabric softener is somehow dead and buried because of millennials now.

Code Jockey

69420 basic bytes free

Mormon Nailer posted:

My dad was a g man and did a lot of stuff and then became not a g man anymore and did a lot of stuff and he still gets mad that I go put bandaids on people that need it and give people Mason jars of soup in parks buy he is also angry that fabric softener is somehow dead and buried because of millennials now.

what on earth I use fabric softener

is there sometthing wrong with fabric softener, should I be cancelling it

alnilam

I have never in my life used fabric softener and i have yet to be injured by overly rigid clothes

alnilam

I doubt it's cancelled i think just nobody cares?

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
I've drilled down deep with him on numerous topics and basically have now gotten him to admit that he's a hypocrite politically/socially/etc but that he enjoys being a hypocrite. He's also admitted that he doesn't give a gently caress about anyone else.

At least he admits it. I'm just over here like, "right, but I do care about others so can you please stop like, voting for poo poo that hurts me and others?"

Zurtilik

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I like using the :filez: emote too much.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Code Jockey posted:

Fabric softener did a crime, against my pant

No like alnilam said like, I've never cut myself on the edge of my jeans so idk I don't fabric softener. Also it just seems like a good way to make my clothes get dirty faster. Also who has time for that, I'm a busy mom of seventy two tiny isopods, gently caress fabric softener.

pnac attack

by Fluffdaddy

Code Jockey posted:

it's cancelled

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

alnilam

Sorry the fabric softener bear made racist comments on twitter so fabric softener is cancelled

ty manifisto

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
tbh the real play is wool balls with some lavender infused in em, let those balls just bang

Code Jockey

69420 basic bytes free

Mormon Nailer posted:

Fabric softener did a crime, against my pant

No like alnilam said like, I've never cut myself on the edge of my jeans so idk I don't fabric softener. Also it just seems like a good way to make my clothes get dirty faster. Also who has time for that, I'm a busy mom of seventy two tiny isopods, gently caress fabric softener.

as one of these isopods this is interesting, aren't your clothes all static-y or are you not machine dryin'? Man I swear as soon as I don't use a softener my poo poo gets all static-y

except I don't use them for towels as I heard it impacts the ability for the towel to uh, towel you

Code Jockey

69420 basic bytes free

aldantefax posted:

tbh the real play is wool balls with some lavender infused in em, let those balls just bang

Oh I used to do this and totally forgot, gonna get me some more of them. Thank you for reminding me of the value of balls

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

‘The fabric softener’ seems like something some KGB dudes would talk threateningly about in the interrogation room if they were trying to get James Bond to talk, if James Bond were a piece of fabric.

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

Boris: ‘vell, vell Nikita, it seems zis meester bond thinks himself a tough bit of denim’
Nikita: ‘heh, vat you think boss? Maybe he a leetle more talkative if ve loosen him up?’
Boris: *stroking chin* ‘peeerhaps. Yes, yesss. Vy don’t we introduce heem to our little friend the fabric softener’

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

more falafel please

forums poster

i don't really know what fabric softener does but my clothes are fine without it.

one thing that millennials did kill i think is paper napkins. i buy paper towels for cleanup but i only use them in situations where cleaning a dishrag/cloth napkin is gonna be nearly impossible, and for eating i just have a bunch of cloth napkins i bought at target a million years ago for nothing. they just go in the wash

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Rarity

~*4 LIFE*~
Team away day turned out to not entirely suck. We did a team building thing which was basically just playing Taskmaster, we had a presentation on autism, we ate some nice vegan food and then talked about our therapy service. All in all coulda been a lot more painful :)

I'm a pretty pony! Sig credits: How Wonderful!, Heather Papps, MAP20 Gotcha, Plant MONSTER.

alnilam

more falafel please posted:

i don't really know what fabric softener does but my clothes are fine without it.

one thing that millennials did kill i think is paper napkins. i buy paper towels for cleanup but i only use them in situations where cleaning a dishrag/cloth napkin is gonna be nearly impossible, and for eating i just have a bunch of cloth napkins i bought at target a million years ago for nothing. they just go in the wash

Good riddance imo

Kill paper towels too, free yourself and start using rags for all household cleanup, it's way easier than you might think ( if you have laundry machines). I even say this as someone with a toddler. We buy like one roll of paper towels a year and use it for one reason only - to underlay/press stuff that was just fried in a ton of oil

more falafel please

forums poster

alnilam posted:

Good riddance imo

Kill paper towels too, free yourself and start using rags for all household cleanup, it's way easier than you might think ( if you have laundry machines). I even say this as someone with a toddler. We buy like one roll of paper towels a year and use it for one reason only - to underlay/press stuff that was just fried in a ton of oil

yeah I use paper towels for: absorbing excess fat from frying, wiping up bacon grease or something like that, and I like to use a damp paper towel on top of leftover rice in the microwave. that's pretty much it though

alnilam

:haibrower:

ty manifisto

alnilam

Millennials are killing the sexy brawny man

ty manifisto

more falafel please

forums poster

alnilam posted:

Millennials are killing the sexy brawny man

we all look like him anyway so it's fine

Ass-penny

the last three pages have been a real rollercoaster.

I don't especially care for holidays and I wish my family would take it down another couple notches. They aren't even the over the top people either, over the last decade or so my parents have kind of given up the tree and lights and stuff. Maybe a lil wooden tree cutout my dad made and painted on the mailbox, and the tree decorations he made on the scrollsaw will get displayed above the kitchen window or something. They insist on doing gifts, in spite of my insistence I don't want anything every year. There is too much poo poo in my place already. I can be self sufficient and buy the things I need.

This year we're going to AZ to visit my aunt/uncle and cousins. I want to see them, but I hate airports and planes, and there's this whole pandemic thing. I mean, I already have a ticket so I guess it's on. We're doing a kind of generic gift exchange thing? Where we each buy and bring one wrapped gift. Then:

quote:

We’ll draw a number to see who has first choice of a gift. Person number 2 can either choose a different gift from under the tree or steal the gift from person number 1. And so it goes until all the gifts are opened.

a little thin on rules, but I have done something similar with friends a number of years ago and had fun. I just don't know what kind of poo poo to buy for this, because it is ideally something anyone at the table could get something out of. Maybe an accessible game or something.

thank you so much to nesamdoom for the scurry fall sig!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

biosterous

the gift-stealing game is a family tradition in bios extended family, it is good and fun

it often ends up being mostly chocolates though to maximize the odds that somebody will want the thing

and then you get to have debates on additional rules, like if your gift got stolen and you pick a new gift to replace it how many turns/actions/whatev have to pass before that can be stolen from you, which is v important when it's like 25 people and the rules are always a lil different each year because nobody agrees on how it was played last year

(with my family this debate is like half the game itself and we enjoy it, it is not an onerous fight like it could easily be)

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

biosterous

like there is a years-long ongoing argument whether our collective noun is "a correction of [lastname]s" or "a 'well actually' of [lastname]s"

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Tiny Myers

say hello to my little friend

I am online

:colbert:

Thank you How Wonderful! for the autumn sig!

cruft

alnilam posted:

Name literally anything and there are people who complain millennials killed it

the radio star

cruft

more falafel please posted:

Gen X'er checking in here: :same:

Please kill fabric softener, millenials; I friggin' hate having to smell and feel it.

cruft

Viginti Septem posted:

But it was okay for him to change things. Just not his kids. It's just pure, unadulterated self-centeredness.

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

more falafel please

forums poster

cruft posted:

Gen X'er checking in here: :same:

Please kill fabric softener, millenials; I friggin' hate having to smell and feel it.

oh yeah also i grew up in a "avoid fragrances and dyes if at all possible" household and my partner is a hippie so any Smelly Laundry Products just seem weird to me. when we were on a 2 week road trip we had to do laundry in a hotel and used some tide and EVERYTHING SMELLED LIKE TIDE for multiple washes, including the stuff we didn't wash, since it got packed in the same bags as the stuff we did wash. why is that desirable

Gramps

FISTO MODO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam

Gramps posted:

FISTO MODO

ty manifisto