Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
presumably if that was a requested probation it would say 'requested probation' in the probation reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Professor Beetus posted:

I had a bad online date once where the other party failed to inform me that they had one of those in their car from a prior DUI and used it as a way to stay over. :negative:

:lol: that is amazing. Bold move.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Anti-DUI systems can also have high false positive rates, which means you need to go somewhere and your car won't start. They can also have high failure rates, and you're stuck paying the installer a premium for any repair, which you have to wait on.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Fun fact: the guy he chased down said he would vote for him if he could.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Judakel posted:

Fun fact: the guy he chased down said he would vote for him if he could.

A rich tapestry! Fetterman is seen as a threat considering the way the Khive people descend on mentions of him.

I think he’d be a good candidate, no idea on how he’d govern, but he’s impossible to call a wimp or managerial lanyard type.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Cranappleberry posted:

Anti-DUI systems can also have high false positive rates, which means you need to go somewhere and your car won't start. They can also have high failure rates, and you're stuck paying the installer a premium for any repair, which you have to wait on.

It's not an IID, so it doesn't actually prevent you from turning your engine on. I think it is primarily for preventing already moving vehicles from still driving when the driver is passed out.

If you're drunk, but sober enough to control the car, then you can just pull back out.

That's why it seems like how they decide to implement it makes a big difference. How many DUIS happen because the driver is completely passed out or has had their eyes closed for multiple minutes?

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

This was my first thought when I saw that proposed anti-drunk-driving measure. I'm cool with anti-drunk-driving measures in theory, but they've got to be really robust against false positives and AI face recognition is notoriously prone to false positives and acting up when evaluating faces of types that the AI wasn't trained on. I wouldn't be surprised if they ran into issues with people with thick glasses, etc, too. Flagging drivers who can't stay in their lane seems more promising, but I can still imagine that running into significant challenges in e.g. sections of road where lanes are hard to recognize, or where there are legitimate reasons to leave your lane briefly but repeatedly (like giving road crews more space).

---

On the topic of the economy: anecdotally, the reason I feel as though the economy isn't great is because I can't really spend my extra money. I'm making more money than I used to (quite a bit more since I got fed up with academia and started software engineering), but I can't buy the things I had been wanting to buy once I had a bit more money. Usually, I would spend my "fun" money on:
  • Concerts (can't, covid)
  • Going to the movies (probably shouldn't, covid)
  • Video games (can't buy a PS5, shortages)
  • Upgrading my PC (can't, shortages)
And of course, when I "sold out" and left academia, I was really hoping to buy a house at some point, but I live near L.A. and houses have gotten insanely expensive. Theoretically, my wife and I could probably afford a small fixer-upper, but it's still going to cost well over a million, and knowing that we are paying so much for so little just feels like we are getting ripped off.

I imagine there are a lot of other people in my situation, where they aren't struggling to get by, but it certainly doesn't feel like the economy is working for them, either.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

AmiYumi posted:

I’m sure these systems, if implemented*, won’t be as notoriously buggy as current systems that disable your car until you pay for expensive repairs only a single company can do. Nor will the cost of this nanny-state poo poo get passed right onto the consumer, with a hefty upcharge because they can, would the auto industry ever do such a thing??

Surely people stuck on the side of the road with cars that just glitched out and disabled themselves will be grateful to the Dems, pledging to vote for the party as they shell out hundreds of dollars to the one company with a monopoly on parts.

*they won’t be

Yeah this entire discussion is just Tech Nightmares, especially for me as someone in Cybersecurity.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

eviltastic posted:

I mean, okay, if you want to say prices are all over the place I'll believe you. I don't take issue with your suggestion that subsets not impacted by particular price hikes will be better off. But there is absolutely stagnation of what we can call a typical wage "hidden in the numbers". BLS data shows real median wages going down, not up, for every quarter since Q2 2020, including the most recent one. FRED charts haven't been updated for Q3 2021 yet, but show the same thing.

e: and taking a slightly longer view, as that NYT piece invites us to do, suggests similarly disappointing growth. I'm pretty suspicious of their choice to reference growth in average numbers when claiming "sharp" increases, particularly contrasted with the suggestion that said sharp increase was driven by lower earners.

This is good feedback, thanks. I'm willing to accept that on average, people's wages are about as stagnant as they've been since the Reagan era (outside of the late-90s blip). That's a strike against "the economy is good, actually" but it does still leave a question as to why people are interpreting the economy as being as bad it was in April 2009 when things were worse then by pretty much every measure except "if you want a thing and have the money for it, can you buy it easily?" If Democrats can address that (or if it addresses itself), it should help public perception of the economy, even if it doesn't bring us into "actually good economy" territory (which is something very few goons have actually seen in their lives).

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
I try to stay away from Facebook conversations about politics because, well it's Facebook, but an old friend posted about his waitress in Utah who he thinks somehow might have skimmed some money from his bill and pocketed it. We are talking about $5.

I told him to let it go. She is a waitress at a National fast casual chain and likely makes $2.13/hour, the tipped minimum wage in Utah. She is working starvation wages, who cares if she stiffs the place $5?! Even if her boss does the legal thing (they rarely do) and makes sure her total pay is $7/hour, that's still a travesty.

In chimed the middle-aged, middle-class, white Republican shitheads, all ready to throw the book at her. One guy lept to the defense of the franchise owner and laughed at me pointing out she likely has no paid time off, no sick leave, no medical benefits and no retirement. It was a sobering reminder that somehow these assholes have the power in this country and are enraged at the existence of the working poor.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Mellow Seas posted:

This is good feedback, thanks. I'm willing to accept that on average, people's wages are about as stagnant as they've been since the Reagan era (outside of the late-90s blip). That's a strike against "the economy is good, actually" but it does still leave a question as to why people are interpreting the economy as being as bad it was in April 2009 when things were worse then by pretty much every measure except "if you want a thing and have the money for it, can you buy it easily?" If Democrats can address that (or if it addresses itself), it should help public perception of the economy, even if it doesn't bring us into "actually good economy" territory (which is something very few goons have actually seen in their lives).

It's a sense of precarity. I posted that Gallup poll about people's lack confidence in the economy a couple pages back, and I think that's what you're seeing in these other polls. Even if people are doing better financially than they were five, ten, or twenty years ago, it's hard to feel like the economy is doing "well" if you're afraid that the bottom's going to drop out again suddenly and blow away your life savings (or that you or a family member will get sick and suddenly face huge medical debts, or any other number of possible tragedies).

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I guess that the Infrastructure Week meme is dead now that the bill passed.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Covok posted:

I guess that the Infrastructure Week meme is dead now that the bill passed.

The real infrastructure week was the friends we made along the way.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Infrastructure week is a state of mind

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Every week is a new infrastructure week.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I know this is an edge case, but I wonder how that weekly median income chart is generated exactly. In my case, I was forced to move to salary from hourly this summer and given a nominal increase in wages to compensate (lmao it's worth like 1 hour of OT a week). This summer I probably worked 150 hours of unpaid OT (before I said gently caress this poo poo and told my boss to reassign duties away from me to drop 15 hours a week), but in terms of hourly pay it looks like I'm making 7-8% more than I was last year or 2019, despite being on track to make like 20k less. Do they look at direct payrolls or do the extrapolate it from nominal hourly wages * 40?

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Majorian posted:

It's a sense of precarity. I posted that Gallup poll about people's lack confidence in the economy a couple pages back, and I think that's what you're seeing in these other polls. Even if people are doing better financially than they were five, ten, or twenty years ago, it's hard to feel like the economy is doing "well" if you're afraid that the bottom's going to drop out again suddenly and blow away your life savings (or that you or a family member will get sick and suddenly face huge medical debts, or any other number of possible tragedies).
Yeah, totally. The good news (for the Democrats) is that there is a year to correct this perception of precarity.

A lot of the fears that people have are, well, not irrational, but not reflective of the most likely actual path ahead. For example, many people believe that the Democrats' large spending bills will increase inflation. Based on polling, people report feeling like the BBB will hurt them for that reason, but the actual inflationary pressure of the bill should be pretty minor (especially if tax increases are included) and the programs included in the bill will directly aid pretty much anybody with children (60 million households)*. Likewise, people might believe that gas prices (or bacon prices, or car prices, or...) are going to keep spiraling up forever, but it's more likely that those will level out or even drop back closer to pre-pandemic levels**.

(* Yes, this assumes that the BBB passes in some form that isn't "SALT cap repeal + that funny Kamala tweet about means tested programs", which isn't an assumption I would make - but the point is that people seem to be expecting a Carter-era economic situation, and it is very likely that we will not end up with actual stagflation.)

(** If you believe, mistakenly, that gas prices are reflective of the president's policy, then you might also believe that the thing [whatever it is - "pay lip service to climate change?"] that Biden did that "made gas prices go up" will continue to do so, even if a more informed observer will recognize that Biden has nothing to do with the prices rising and will have nothing to do with them leveling out or dropping.

Seriously, it's weird to me that people don't realize that these gas prices are within the regular fluctuation of gasoline prices over the last 50 years... but oh well. Shouting "YOU'RE WRONG" won't help.)

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Nov 9, 2021

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

VorpalBunny posted:

In chimed the middle-aged, middle-class, white Republican shitheads, all ready to throw the book at her. One guy lept to the defense of the franchise owner and laughed at me pointing out she likely has no paid time off, no sick leave, no medical benefits and no retirement. It was a sobering reminder that somehow these assholes have the power in this country and are enraged at the existence of the working poor.

If you don't like it leave. Wait where are you all going come back.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Any news on the ongoing BBB negotiations? We got a pinky-promise swear we'd see a vote by next Monday.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

ex post facho posted:

Any news on the ongoing BBB negotiations? We got a pinky-promise swear we'd see a vote by next Monday.
CBO score comes out this week I believe

I haven’t heard yet if Manchin has commented on the House deal

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
I mean, cool, but can we also get some regulations on the low beams on cars using HID/xenon headlights (which is to say, effectively every new-ish car on the road)? They're incredibly blinding on even low settings, and is only made worse by every dickhead in this country driving an SUV/pickup truck, so their lights are perfectly positioned at head level for me in my hatchback.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Abner Assington posted:

I mean, cool, but can we also get some regulations on the low beams on cars using HID/xenon headlights (which is to say, effectively every new-ish car on the road)? They're incredibly blinding on even low settings, and is only made worse by every dickhead in this country driving an SUV/pickup truck, so their lights are perfectly positioned at head level for me in my hatchback.
Made worse by the fact that people in high vehicles unconsciously (usually) follow people in cars way too closely, using "seeing over the top of the car in front of them" as a substitute for "proper following and stopping distance". Which results in low beams shining directly into the mirrors of cars.

\/\/\/\/\/\/ Now if you want to talk about a policy that is good in theory but would make you lose every election ever, that one is probably up there with reparations for slavery. \/\/\/\/\/

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Nov 9, 2021

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Abner Assington posted:

We could just ban SUVs or pickups unless you have some business need, that would be great.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Ravenfood posted:

We could just ban SUVs or pickups unless you have some business need, that would be great.

Those are far and away the most popular cars being sold in America, it's not even close.

So yeah don't hold your breath. I'd be all for it, personally.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

How are u posted:

Those are far and away the most popular cars being sold in America, it's not even close.

So yeah don't hold your breath. I'd be all for it, personally.

They could start by regulating the gently caress out of them, why are literally all trucks and SUVs now enormous? It's dumb as hell and I think less of every single person who drives one without explicit need.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Here's an economic analysis that came out today that's relevant to the previous discussion.

Seems to jive with the assessment some people were making that despite people saying that their personal economic situation has gotten better, that a lot of people are upset that things don't feel normal and have a sense that something is wrong because of inflation, uncertainty, and a belief that other people are probably not doing as well as they are.

People rate their own personal economic situation ~50% higher than they rate the economy overall. Prior to Covid, people rated the national economy about the same as their personal economic situation.

quote:

By the usual measures, the U.S. economy has been booming this year. Employment has risen by more than five million since January; a record number of Americans say this is a good time to find a quality job, a sentiment reflected in the willingness of an unprecedented number of workers to quit (yes, high quit rates are a good sign).

Yet Americans are, or say they are, pessimistic about the economic situation.

quote:

Still, when you look into consumer surveys, you find that answers to the question “How is the economy doing?” don’t necessarily track with answers to the question “How are you doing?”

Here’s what the Michigan survey found when it asked people to compare their current financial situation with their situation five years ago; numbers greater than 100 mean improvement. That number has slid a bit since the beginning of this year, but it’s still quite high — in fact, as high as the average for 2019, when the Trump administration was boasting nonstop about the economy.

quote:

Other surveys find similar results. For example, Langer Research Associates breaks its Consumer Confidence Index into components; the number for “personal finances” is far higher than the number for “national economy”:

quote:

So Americans, while legitimately troubled by inflation, are feeling pretty good about their own financial situation; their downbeat economic assessment involves a belief that bad things are happening to other people. Where does that belief come from?

To some extent public perceptions may have been shaped by widespread media coverage of preliminary economic reports that suggested a struggling economy. After revisions, the data look much better — most notably, soft preliminary employment numbers for August and September received many headlines, while it’s a good bet that few Americans are aware of later revisions that added more than 200,000 jobs.

https://www.langerresearch.com/category/cci/

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Nov 9, 2021

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Professor Beetus posted:

They could start by regulating the gently caress out of them, why are literally all trucks and SUVs now enormous? It's dumb as hell and I think less of every single person who drives one without explicit need.

Same. I'm not a motorhead but I read jalopnik every day to try to kind of keep an eye on that world. They can't figure it out either, best guess is honestly: toxic masculinity.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Really depends on what we're going to call an SUV or if you're taking about CUV's.

There are some ridiculously high ones that you can't even see a 4 year old if they're 15 feet in front of you.

However, these cars aren't going away because of popularity and practicality:

Since there are hardly any (real/affordable) station wagons these days, the SUV fits that bill.

The other HUGE thing with CUVs and SUVs is that they're easier to get in and out of, especially for older people.

Edit: the regulations for back seat alarms will need tweaking: a 'kid in back' alarm will still bleep at you if there's a dog back there. If there's a dog back there and it's hot enough: why not just have the car auto crack the windows open enough for air?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah those seat sensors are very sensitive. When I just have my work bag in the front seat it sometimes trips that alert.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Mellow Seas posted:

I think there are several factors going on with the 2009 comparisons:

* Both then & now we faced unprecedented crises for which people had no time to financially or otherwise prepare.

* Massive layoffs happened very suddenly both times, especially for particular sectors.

* In April 2009 people were still hopeful that Obama's campaign promises would come to fruition, and that he'd provide housing relief, strict controls on finance, and an affordable health care act for all. In other words, people didn't see "things as worse by pretty much every measure" bc they were told the worst had passed and happy days were here again.

* Student-loan debt was likely much less than it is today. Medical bankruptcy rates have stayed fairly flat since pre-ACA & post-ACA, but are still considerable concern, and one-third of all people now not seeking care when they need it--including one-quarter of seriously ill people!--shows that medical & prescription-drug costs are still barriers to health & treatment.

In other words, many groups of people today are more financially precarious & less politically hopeful than they were in 2009, which is a totally rational response.

As far as what Dems can do to convince people that their perceptions are wrong, I'd say get cracking on meaningful action to help people with student-loan & medical debt; joining the rest of the world in treating healthcare as a human right; enacting strict environmental controls; and, in general, pay as much attention to voters' needs as they do to donors' needs.

But that's just all glittery farts from unicorn butts; the perfect is the enemy of the good, and most people are doing just fine economically, because Chase says savings are at a record high and lower-income workers are receiving 11 percent more on average than they were two years ago.

edit: majorian said it in fewer :words:

Majorian posted:

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
All the numbers about how the economy is good, actually, why don't people realize that, have big America Is Already Great! energy and I think it will be interesting to see how well that's going to work out this time around.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The anti-DUI tech discussed earlier has apparently already been adopted by Volvo and Cadillac on all of their post-2020 models. Has anyone driven a 2020 or later model Volvo or Cadillac and seen how they work?

This is the description for the system:

quote:

Volvo will put a nanny camera in its next generation of cars to keep you and others alive if you’re drunk, distracted, fall asleep, or have an unexpected ailment (heart attack) that renders you unable to drive competently. Combined with other sensors and software algorithms, the anti-distraction system would provide an escalating set of prompts and queries, ultimately slowing and then stopping the car and calling for assistance.

Speeding, distraction and intoxication disturb driver reaction time. We can address this by lowering speed, alerting a driver to a threat, and by detecting an intoxicated driver. It will also have a positive impact on drivers who get sleepy on a long trip, or after a long lunch, or after the two drinks that don’t make you legally intoxicated but do make you slower to react.

This is what the camera looks like:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Hellblazer187 posted:

I don't necessarily disagree with your critiques of those two particular items. Yeah, Kerry and the Democrats are bad. We all know, there's no need to belabor the point. I still think there's a lot in that post that is still instructive about how people outside of boards like this think about politics. It's not based on an ideology.
Eh a lot of the rest came off like unrepresentative anecdotes.

Some idiot was a Dean/Bush voter, that's bizarre and hilarious, but the media was similarly obsessed with Bernie/Trump voters who turned out to be basically insignificant.

The only belief that was widespread was that Cheney wanted to make the US self-sufficient on oil and that was basically correct in the sense that he wanted to disregard the environment and let oil companies go wild with fracking which actually did end our dependence on foreign oil. The voter was still suffering from a misconception but not the one Hayes thought. His misconception was that Democrats didn't want to do the exact same thing but that's a misconception both parties are happy to encourage since Democrats like to give lip service to protecting the environment while also taking Big Oil money to let them go wild with fracking.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Here's an economic analysis that came out today that's relevant to the previous discussion.

Seems to jive with the assessment some people were making that despite people saying that their personal economic situation has gotten better, that a lot of people are upset that things don't feel normal and have a sense that something is wrong because of inflation, uncertainty, and a belief that other people are probably not doing as well as they are.

People rate their own personal economic situation ~50% higher than they rate the economy overall. Prior to Covid, people rated the national economy about the same as their personal economic situation.

You should provide a link when you're quoting Krugman, although I don't blame you for not disclosing the author. :wink:

He's making the same excuses that Neil Irwin did in his own nyt piece: People don't know how well they have it! It's just like when people thought crime was getting worse! That Michigan survey said so! And those old chestnuts It's the Media's Fault for Their Negative Reporting! and It's Those drat Republicans!

His most honest moment is in his kicker, when he owns up to the propaganda effort it will take, with the help of him & Irwin & their enablers, to turn these fallacious "perceptions" around:

quote:

This has important implications, among other things, for the politics of economic policy. The economy is likely to get considerably better over the months ahead as the pandemic subsides and snarls in the supply chain get worked out. But there is no guarantee that the American public will even notice these gains. If the Biden administration wants to turn perceptions around, an objectively good economy won’t be enough; the good news will have to be sold, hard.

I expect to see more of this pieces in the liberal media and echoed here accusing voters of trusting their lying eyes instead of national averages or That Michigan Survey.

eta: To jive is to dance; to jibe is to agree to dance.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

Eh a lot of the rest came off like unrepresentative anecdotes.

Some idiot was a Dean/Bush voter, that's bizarre and hilarious, but the media was similarly obsessed with Bernie/Trump voters who turned out to be basically insignificant.

I see what you're saying, but I'm not sure how you'd quantify this either. If the idea is that most voters are not coming from a place with any kind of strong ideology, how would you poll for that? And yeah, anecdote is not data but have you ever talked to a regular person about this stuff? My perception (granted that this is not data) is that people simply do not think about politics in the way that we do. And that's not a knock against those people - I think most people who choose not to think about politics as much are probably healthier even if it leads to (what I would consider) suboptimal election outcomes.

One major difference is with social media you can't get away from it nearly as much (unless you delete FB which everyone absolutely 100% should do).

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Willa Rogers posted:

You should provide a link when you're quoting Krugman, although I don't blame you for not disclosing the author. :wink:

He's making the same excuses that Neil Irwin did in his own nyt piece: People don't know how well they have it! It's just like when people thought crime was getting worse! That Michigan survey said so! And those old chestnuts It's the Media's Fault for Their Negative Reporting! and It's Those drat Republicans!

His most honest moment is in his kicker, when he owns up to the propaganda effort it will take, with the help of him & Irwin & their enablers, to turn these fallacious "perceptions" around:

I expect to see more of this pieces in the liberal media and echoed here accusing voters of trusting their lying eyes instead of national averages or That Michigan Survey.

eta: To jive is to dance; to jibe is to agree to dance.

Is your position that all of the survey data, exit polls, and studies where people describe their own economic situation are being forged or something?

You keep responding to data with "NUH UH, THAT DOESN'T FEEL RIGHT" despite it being the results from every single survey, exit poll, and study. It is coming from the voters themselves. Did they forge 5 years of data and start pre-emptively forging the data in early 2020 because they knew they would need to do it to trick people years later?

You keep getting weirdly worked up about people posting actual data, but your last 4 posts have all been long sarcastic meltdowns responding to different people who provide data by just calling them "enablers" and yelling about "liberal media propaganda" without any actual evidence of your own.

The one piece of data you posted earlier actually contradicted your own point and you stopped responding when someone called you out on it. People are trying to talk about the interesting disconnect where a large majority of people say their own personal financial situation is good, but the economy at large is bad. There's nothing to actually respond to when it is clear you're arguing from the gut and not really willing to engage with anything.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 9, 2021

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Willa Rogers posted:

But that's just all glittery farts from unicorn butts; the perfect is the enemy of the good, and most people are doing just fine economically, because Chase says savings are at a record high and lower-income workers are receiving 11 percent more on average than they were two years ago.

I mean, yes, "most people", as in a majority, are doing "just fine" economically, not according to loving Chase, but according to actual polls of public opinion that LT2012 has posted in the thread!

No, "most people are doing just fine" isn't sufficient, because that means somewhere up to 49% of people aren't doing fine, but usually people will accept "I'm doing just fine" as a heuristic for "the economy is doing just fine". Right now that isn't happening and it's interesting to discuss why that is. You don't have to be hostile or act like I'm trying to minimize problems, thanks.

If you want to take a positive from the disconnect between "how I'm doing" and "how's it going" it's that people are showing concern for general societal economic inequities, and thinking about long-term issues, when most of the time in the past, the number in their savings account is as far as most people get. That's a better political environment, to me, for people who want to enact broad-based change.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

How are u posted:

Same. I'm not a motorhead but I read jalopnik every day to try to kind of keep an eye on that world. They can't figure it out either, best guess is honestly: toxic masculinity.

There's a reason the Ford maverick sold out in pre-order. There are people out there with more than 2 brain cells, which want a small, fuel efficient truck.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

rscott posted:

I know this is an edge case, but I wonder how that weekly median income chart is generated exactly. In my case, I was forced to move to salary from hourly this summer and given a nominal increase in wages to compensate (lmao it's worth like 1 hour of OT a week). This summer I probably worked 150 hours of unpaid OT (before I said gently caress this poo poo and told my boss to reassign duties away from me to drop 15 hours a week), but in terms of hourly pay it looks like I'm making 7-8% more than I was last year or 2019, despite being on track to make like 20k less. Do they look at direct payrolls or do the extrapolate it from nominal hourly wages * 40?

They draw the data from two big surveys, which I should probably just link rather than try to explain since I'm way outside my wheelhouse here. The short answer is yes, they do look at work schedules and not just hourly rates.

https://www.bls.gov/ncs/
https://www.bls.gov/oes/

Mellow Seas posted:

That's a strike against "the economy is good, actually" but it does still leave a question as to why people are interpreting the economy as being as bad it was in April 2009 when things were worse then by pretty much every measure except "if you want a thing and have the money for it, can you buy it easily?" If Democrats can address that (or if it addresses itself), it should help public perception of the economy, even if it doesn't bring us into "actually good economy" territory (which is something very few goons have actually seen in their lives).

Yeah I agree there, it's an interesting disconnect, particularly given the numbers for confidence in the job market in that Gallup survey. My guess would be along the lines of Majorian's or Willa's - maybe things are getting back to normal, but for a lot of people in America "normal" sucked. However, record high confidence in the job market isn't something to shrug off like the usual tone deaf "the stock market's doing great, why are people pessimistic?" stuff.

Professor Beetus posted:

IIRC the explanation that came up before in a thread like this is a mix of (1) dealerships realizing that there's a big market for crew cabs, where previously that wasn't something they really pushed and (2) Bush/Obama-era fleet fuel efficiency standards incentivizing a larger footprint at both the individual model and the fleet level. Dunno if that's actually the reason, but both seem plausible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Is your position that all of the survey data, exit polls, and studies where people say their own economic are being forged or something?

You keep responding to data with "NUH UH, THAT DOESN'T FEEL RIGHT" despite it being the results from every single survey, exit poll, and study. It is coming from the voters themselves. Did they forge 5 years of data and start pre-emptively forging the data in early 2020 because they knew they would need to do it to trick people years later?

You keep getting weirdly worked up about people posting actual data, but your last 4 posts have all been long sarcastic meltdowns responding to different people who provide data by just calling them "enablers" and yelling about "liberal media propaganda" without any actual evidence of your own.

The one piece of data you posted earlier actually contradicted your own point and you stopped responded when someone called you out on it.

I think when you talk to people about how they feel that data doesn't matter, I don't know anyone who thinks yeah things own right now, this is great. I don't know why I should care about the data when it describes a world I cannot see or touch.

edit - also I would not be surprised to see some polls come out early next year saying that actually everyone is fine paying back their student loans now