Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Gripweed posted:

They need to make ugly guy movies again. Back in the 80s you could make a movie where all the guys were ugly, and it'd be a hit. Bring them back.

They need to make ugly girl movies more imho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

There are tons of TV shows and movies where one or more people find themselves somehow transported from the past into the present, but none of them I'm aware of actually make that the focus of the story. There's always something else going on that the time travel element exists to facilitate. But the bit I want to see, the person learning about the modern world and adapting to it, is treated as a distraction or a joke. They'll acknowledge it to the smallest extent they think they can get away with, right near the start, and then maybe bring it up once or twice later on when there's some unexpected thing the time traveller hasn't encountered yet, and that's it. They just take it as given that they react to and figure stuff out off-screen. But I want that on-screen! I want that to be the entire show! Why doesn't that show exist? Am I the only one?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Gripweed posted:

They need to make ugly guy movies again. Back in the 80s you could make a movie where all the guys were ugly, and it'd be a hit. Bring them back.

There is a particular body/face type that was universally cast in the '80s and early '90s. He was a tanned shovel-faced goon with poofy hair - think Joe Piscopo or Ray Wise

I call them 80s assholes. Where did they go? Why did they stop getting work?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Manager Hoyden posted:

There is a particular body/face type that was universally cast in the '80s and early '90s. He was a tanned shovel-faced goon with poofy hair - think Joe Piscopo or Ray Wise

I call them 80s assholes. Where did they go? Why did they stop getting work?

Ray Wise was in five TV shows and a movie this year.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Tiggum posted:

Ray Wise was in five TV shows and a movie this year.

Yeah but now he looks different and is playing an old guy or just voice acting. It's different

I'm just saying if Godfather was made for the first time today James Caan wouldn't have been cast as Sonny

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Gaius Marius posted:

Jesus go outside bro.

sorry, it's too dark/bright out.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Tiggum posted:

There are tons of TV shows and movies where one or more people find themselves somehow transported from the past into the present, but none of them I'm aware of actually make that the focus of the story. There's always something else going on that the time travel element exists to facilitate. But the bit I want to see, the person learning about the modern world and adapting to it, is treated as a distraction or a joke. They'll acknowledge it to the smallest extent they think they can get away with, right near the start, and then maybe bring it up once or twice later on when there's some unexpected thing the time traveller hasn't encountered yet, and that's it. They just take it as given that they react to and figure stuff out off-screen. But I want that on-screen! I want that to be the entire show! Why doesn't that show exist? Am I the only one?

Check out the 1993 French film Les Visiteurs (The Visitors). It's a goofball comedy so don't expect a deep cinematic masterpiece, but it's pretty much exactly what you're asking for here. There's a plot happening and all that, but most of the focus (and humor) is on the medieval time travelers adapting to the modern world.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Tiggum posted:

Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd century almost certainly isn't an example of the show you're looking for, but I'll be damned if that's going to stop me from bringing it up the moment it's at all relevant.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Gripweed posted:

Well this is pyf phuo: Dune 2021 seems to fit.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Well this is pyf phuo: Dune 2021 seems to fit.

If you're going to claim that you think Timothee Chalamet, Oscar Isaac, and Jason Momoa are all ugly, not just not your type but flat out ugly, then no one will think you are actually expressing an opinion, everyone is going to see that as someone insecure in their sexuality going way too far in trying to prove that they aren't attracted to men

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Gripweed posted:

If you're going to claim that you think Timothee Chalamet, Oscar Isaac, and Jason Momoa are all ugly, not just not your type but flat out ugly, then no one will think you are actually expressing an opinion, everyone is going to see that as someone insecure in their sexuality going way too far in trying to prove that they aren't attracted to men

PHUO: this is a good length for a single sentence. Sentences shorter than this are the bad sentences, actually.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

Check out the 1993 French film Les Visiteurs (The Visitors). It's a goofball comedy so don't expect a deep cinematic masterpiece, but it's pretty much exactly what you're asking for here. There's a plot happening and all that, but most of the focus (and humor) is on the medieval time travelers adapting to the modern world.

I'll certainly give it a go.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Powered Descent posted:

Oh hell yeah that movie kicks rear end

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
The David Lynch Dune was a fine movie. Picard with a pug, c'mon.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Tiggum posted:

I want to say Catweazle, which is a mediaeval sorcerer time travelling to the present (by present, I mean late '60's), but it's been a while since I watched it.

It does have Bud Tingwell in it, which, as an Australian, I'm sure you'll appreciate.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

PHUO: this thread is a toxic cesspool that should be permanently closed.

All it is is the same dozen or so people (myself included, I cannot distance myself from my actions) posting whatever nonsense comes to mind in an attempt to provoke others. Little to no healthy discussion has come from this thread. Either an opinion is inane and ignored, or pisses off other posters and a fight starts.

It is the all of the worst aspects of social media distilled to its purest form: people empowered by anonymity being lovely. And we are all addicted to that little dopamine kick that comes in the form of outrage.

After I post this, I'm leaving this thread forever, and I highly recommend everyone else who reads this to do the same. You'll be healthier for it.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Kill everyone now! Condone first degree murder! Advocate cannibalism! Eat poo poo! Filth is my politics! Filth is my life!

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Fashionable Jorts posted:

All it is is the same dozen or so people (myself included, I cannot distance myself from my actions) posting whatever nonsense comes to mind in an attempt to provoke others. Little to no healthy discussion has come from this thread. Either an opinion is inane and ignored, or pisses off other posters and a fight starts.

It is the all of the worst aspects of social media distilled to its purest form: people empowered by anonymity being lovely. And we are all addicted to that little dopamine kick that comes in the form of outrage.

After I post this, I'm leaving this thread forever, and I highly recommend everyone else who reads this to do the same. You'll be healthier for it.

Bye

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Garrand posted:

Kill everyone now! Condone first degree murder! Advocate cannibalism! Eat poo poo! Filth is my politics! Filth is my life!

I don't think I'd want to eat most modern people considering their diet and medication/drug abuse and the constant stress.

Now naturalist vegans or vegetarians. I bet thems some good eatin.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Consuming the average goon thigh is several days' calories and will get you high and drunk.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Fashionable Jorts posted:

lol

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

this can't possibly be in even the top 20 most toxic threads on this forum

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Muscle Tracer posted:

this can't possibly be in even the top 20 most toxic threads on this forum

The C-SPAM Glenn Greenwald thread is far ahead of whatever #2 is.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
This thread isn't toxic at all we're just buds hanging out with buds Fahrenheit is better than celsius having a good time right now

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Guys we have a lot of fun here in this thread but nothing is fun about toxicity. Let's rap about toxic threads and also how that popular thing you like is bad and you should feel ashamed

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

phuo: alcohol is a toxin, as are all the other good drugs. toxins are good (sometimes)

christmas boots posted:

This thread isn't toxic at all we're just buds hanging out with buds Fahrenheit is better than celsius having a good time right now

personally i prefer kelvin', absolutely love to kelv

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Kelvin Can F*** Himself

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

We need to talk about Kelvin

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Manager Hoyden posted:

Guys we have a lot of fun here in this thread but nothing is fun about toxicity. Let's rap about toxic threads and also how that popular thing you like is bad and you should feel ashamed

*Sits on chair backwards so you know I'm with it, and not an unhip old square* Really guys, I know everyone likes shi-- uh, I mean junkposting, but there comes a point that it's just unhealthy. You have to remember the effect you're having on the goons you love. Take some pride in your threads.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
You know, in many ways, Jesus was the shitposter of 1st Century Galilee

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I like Fashionable Jorts and will miss them in this thread.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
The best sound in the world is that THX noise. You know the one.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Tiggum posted:

Do you just mean a normal multilane roundabout like this, or something else?

lol that's easy. like. we have tons of those here and hardly any crashes. defo filling this as "lol at americans"

more seriously it's because yall aren't familiar with them so you have less practice at driving with taking them into account

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

christmas boots posted:

The best sound in the world is that THX noise. You know the one.

That's the sound it made when god turned on the world.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Fantasy is strictly better than sci-fi.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

thetoughestbean posted:

Fantasy is strictly better than sci-fi.

agree, but with a tiny little caveat

the caviat being that sci-fi is strictly better than fantasy :colbert:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Star Wars is fantasy

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Star Wars is fantasy

Correct

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Robobot posted:

I like Fashionable Jorts and will miss them in this thread.

same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
to add to the great PHUO's here's another: eating out at restaurants sucks. It honestly feels really awkward acting like I deserve to have people waiting on me and I can't even really afford it. Take out 100%