Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I liked the angle on Dexter that this episode took, where he's perfectly capable of living a normal life but only truly has fun when he's back to killing and talking to himself about about how much of a monster he is. First time he's been presented as dangerous rather than just a vigilante who broods a lot for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Can I just say Dexter sells guns in upstate New York, why do you let yourself get attached to a deer

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Moreover, why is Dexter suddenly trying to connect with an animal? Whats stopping him from trying to kill it at some kind of release?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Very weird Moby Dick reference.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

codo27 posted:

Moreover, why is Dexter suddenly trying to connect with an animal? Whats stopping him from trying to kill it at some kind of release?

The white hart/stag is a symbol of purity and being allowed to touch one symbolizes redemption. Arthurian knights were always seeking them out to prove how pure they were.

It's a pretty hamfisted way to show Dexter seeking to purify his soul. Of course, this being Dexter, once he has done so, he immediately dirties it back up because some douche symbolically murdered his symbolic redemption.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Dragonstoned posted:

bonus points if the scene is like when Deb killed Laguerta

Man, this show is so loving stupid that I don't even remember half of this stuff. My brain must have really blocked it out and tried to forget it after it was over.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Wouldn't selling guns require a background check of his own?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

C'mon. This is a third world country we're talking about.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013
So apparently the reason Harrison was able to track down Dexter has leaked.

Hannah died of cancer and while cleaning up he found a letter Dexter had sent to her.

...Y'know what, sure. Fine, gently caress it, whatever. We've been making all kinds of jokes but somehow it turned out dumber than any of them.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

That is dumb enough that it must be true.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Heavy Metal posted:

I don't think it's inherent to it myself. I gather one of the writers may have said they wanted it to end that way or something, and that's flavoring the context here?

Here's another example, with ending spoilers to the movie Infernal Affairs. Great movie, remade into the so-so movie The Departed that messed up the ending. In the original, Andy Lau's villainous character gets away with it. And he has to live with himself etc. In The Departed his analog gets shot and it's silly. Sometimes a character not being punished is a more interesting choice, and there are nuances and different ways it can go.

Eh, I almost kind of agree, but Infernal Affairs is a trilogy and Departed came out after the 3rd and contains a few elements from it which the conclusion can be attributed to, since there won't be 3 Departeds. Infernal Affairs is better more because the acting and mood is better (Tony Leung > Dicaprio).

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Wait if that’s true then why is Dexter still by himself? It’s not like Dexter had any heat to escape.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

Wouldn't selling guns require a background check of his own?
I don't find it hard to believe that Dexter has a solid fake identity given that he worked at the police and by all accounts had prepared the groundwork to run away years in advance.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I don't find it hard to believe that Dexter has a solid fake identity given that he worked at the police and by all accounts had prepared the groundwork to run away years in advance.

Yeah he had a bug out bag with multiple passports

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Dexter pretending to dance like poo poo even though Hall can absolutely dance like a pro continues to be very funny

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

JaddaCaddra posted:

...Y'know what, sure. Fine, gently caress it, whatever.

New thread title.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

CODChimera posted:

they should bring back quinn and the other cop somehow

Just give us Dokes, it's what we all want

HppyCmpr
May 8, 2011
I just hope Harrison has killed his way across America on his journey to find his father and has his own Dark Passenger.

Then we can get a sequel show called Harrison that's just a homage to all the previous seasons of Dexter.

:allears:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Dexter not in Florida with all the crazies just isn't Dexter.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I hate myself for reading that spoiler and I will even more if I continue to watch this poo poo if its true

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
it's not like i make any effort to only watch good tv shows. I watched a full of America's Funniest videos last night then I watched half of Total Recall with that irish prick.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Really gonna need an update of what weird poo poo Masuka has been into over the past few years

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
masuka onlyfans page is not just viral marketing it's in-universe lore

yippeekiyaymf
May 16, 2002

You seriously have issues.

Go catch more racoons in a net and step away from the computer.
Finally watched the episode yesterday. I think the last 5 seasons of Dexter ruined my ability to process this show because I didn’t think it sucked, compared to Dexter, not other shows.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

JaddaCaddra posted:

So apparently the reason Harrison was able to track down Dexter has leaked.

Hannah died of cancer and while cleaning up he found a letter Dexter had sent to her.

...Y'know what, sure. Fine, gently caress it, whatever. We've been making all kinds of jokes but somehow it turned out dumber than any of them.

So, apparently, yeah this is 100% legit. It was in some podcast one of the writers does, and it will indeed be revealed in this next episode.

Just... amazing. Somehow the writers still found a way to out stupid our joke predictions.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I hope we don't have to wait too many episodes for harrison to start killing people by forcing them to run on treadmills

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Nep-Nep posted:

I hope we don't have to wait too many episodes for harrison to start killing people by forcing them to run on treadmills

"We're past the point of no return"
"No we're not. You could just unchain me from this treadmill. I've never even seen you before, I won't remember you. You could just leave town and no one would know."

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

JaddaCaddra posted:

So, apparently, yeah this is 100% legit. It was in some podcast one of the writers does, and it will indeed be revealed in this next episode.

Just... amazing. Somehow the writers still found a way to out stupid our joke predictions.

I'm not a serial killer on the run from the law, but even I know that if you're sending a letter you make sure to go somewhere far, far away from where you live so the postmark doesn't give you away.

Unless, Dexter just put a return address on the back.
Swear to god, if that's what he did I'm out.

Brass
Oct 30, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

I just did a rewatch. I think there may have been entire seasons without nudity.

There are a ton of sex scenes in the first 2-3 seasons, then they dial it way back for the following seasons.

CODChimera posted:

What on earth? Dexter isn't even close to Nip/Tuck or Californication

Both of those shows deal with at least one sex addict and Dexter is like the opposite of that.

Dexter, the person who is addicted to killing (which seems to satisfy a sexual urge), is the opposite of a sex addict?

Nip/Tuck and Californication are both Showtime shows btw.

Maybe you think the sex scenes in the show are there to flesh the characters out??

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Brass posted:

Nip/Tuck and Californication are both Showtime shows btw.

Nip/Tuck was an FX show

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Brass posted:

Maybe you think the sex scenes in the show are there to flesh the characters out??

I don't remember any personally and from this I'm getting the energy of a comment on a video where all they have to say "wow, do they really have to use so many cuss words?" genuinely confused how everyone else isn't up-in-arms over cusses

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Lumen Hannah died on the way back to her home planet

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I'm not a serial killer on the run from the law, but even I know that if you're sending a letter you make sure to go somewhere far, far away from where you live so the postmark doesn't give you away.

Unless, Dexter just put a return address on the back.
Swear to god, if that's what he did I'm out.
Is Dexter on the run from the law? I can imagine people would find his sudden disappearance suspicious but I don't think anyone alive thought he was a serial killer by the end.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I didn’t like the episode, but I didn’t like it in the way that I was bored and hoping it gets better - like seasons 3, 5, and some of 6 not the hate watch extravaganza of some of 6-8

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Brass posted:

There are a ton of sex scenes in the first 2-3 seasons, then they dial it way back for the following seasons.
There's 11 sex scenes across all 8 seasons (thanks, Reddit) and only 5 have any nudity.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Is Dexter on the run from the law? I can imagine people would find his sudden disappearance suspicious but I don't think anyone alive thought he was a serial killer by the end.

He didn’t so him going into hiding is kind of pointless, outside ditching his kid

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Khablam posted:

There's 11 sex scenes across all 8 seasons (thanks, Reddit) and only 5 have any nudity.

tbf this guy's gimmick of doing the SMG style arrogant Socratic Method posting but being completely wrong about basic facts of what he's talking about is funny

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

He’s not, unless something happened after the old series that we haven’t learned about yet.

It actually surprised me when I rewatched the show after nearly a decade. I knew he ran off and became a lumberjack, but I completely forgot why, and my mind filled in the blanks and assumed the police caught on to him, but nope. He just left his son with a serial killer who has no code because he thought he was too dangerous to be around.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

Diabolik900 posted:

He’s not, unless something happened after the old series that we haven’t learned about yet.

It actually surprised me when I rewatched the show after nearly a decade. I knew he ran off and became a lumberjack, but I completely forgot why, and my mind filled in the blanks and assumed the police caught on to him, but nope. He just left his son with a serial killer who has no code because he thought he was too dangerous to be around.

A serial killer who regularly poisoned people when they inconvenienced her, and who we last saw offering to take Harrison for some food...

But who became a caring foster mother until she died from cancer, apparently. We get it writers. You wanted us to like Hannah.

Khablam posted:

Why am I not surprised Dexter fans would keep track of something like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Brass posted:

Dexter, the person who is addicted to killing (which seems to satisfy a sexual urge), is the opposite of a sex addict?

This touches on something that's always bothered me about Dexter. From what I understand of serial killers, there's usually a sexual component to their urges, but this show has always worked very hard to strip that from Dexter's personality. Certainly in the first season where he barely seems to understand what sex even is in his relation with Rita, and then more directly when he has the woman cop on his table and he says "Nobody's getting raped!".

"Dark Passenger" is little more than a place-holder phrase for something that never actually gets examined and as a result there's a kind of sleight of hand that makes it seem as though Dexter's "urge" is an urge for justice and all other compulsions, urges, and drives are thoroughly desexualized while still being presented in sexual language.

I think early on, they handled it better by focusing on blood, but then as the seasons went on and the writing got lovely, "Blood Spatter Expert" got shifted to standard "Super Detective" and even that unpleasantness was factored out.