Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Halloween Jack posted:

Have you tried explaining to your relatives that human remains aren't Pogs? You probably have.
Are your relatives Ferengi?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

cumshitter posted:

Well this is a poo poo show.

My (27F) friend (36F) sold all her husband's (57M) precious metal and almost her parent's car for her side-GF (28F).

quote:

Over the last few years, Boblina spent her weekdays from 6 AM - 5 PM at work and her remaining evening with her parents at their place, without Bob. Her weekend would be spent at the hotel with her mother or I, again without Bob. She would go home on Sundays for fresh laundry and leave for the week. This has been her itinerary since her marriage.

Formatting OP's.

There is a lot to unpack here but this is what stood out to me the most. There's also no mention about Bob and Boblina actually SEEING each other throughout the week. Also why the hell are they staying at hotels? Nothing about this makes sense and it screams that this was a marriage of convenience somehow.

All in all just what the christ?

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Kurieg posted:

Are your relatives Ferengi?

Non Fungible Tombs

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Several people in the comments say that "build the longest road" is in fact a known winning Catan strategy.

Yeah, this confused me. I play a lot of board games, and Settlers, for the folks I play with, is a gently caress around game where we drink and make jokes about having wood for sheep and pointlessly wrangle over the longest road while someone else quietly racks up a bunch of points some other way. It's totally beginner friendly, too.

Then again I try to avoid playing with super competitive people in the first place, even when it comes to more serious games, because holy poo poo do some of those folks take it far enough to suck the joy out of games.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP

quote:

My (27F) friend (36F) sold all her husband's (57M) precious metal and almost her parent's car for her side-GF (28F).

Mista Dobalina Mista Bob Boblina

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

deety posted:

make jokes about having wood for sheep

i was gonna post that comic strip but couldn't find it

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

AITA for telling my fiancé I won’t attend his brother’s wedding not even 3 months before ours ?

quote:

My(25F) fiancé (27M) proposed back in August. Not even two months later, his younger brother (22M) decided to propose to his girlfriend (22F). My fiancé and his brother aren’t that close and don’t really talk so it wasn’t really communicated to each other that they both were planning to propose.

We’re older than my future brother-in-law and sister-in-law and I wanted to get a head start in planning. We had made the assumption that because my future sister-in-law is still in school and my future brother-in-law had just graduated college and getting his career started that they would have their wedding later down the road. My fiancé and I put our deposit down for our wedding venue. We get a call from his brother the day after we booked our venue and his brother was telling my fiancé that he is planning to book a tropical destination wedding less than 3 months before our wedding date(didn’t put a deposit or anything, just wanted to let us know what their wedding planning was going to be like). My fiancé kindly told his brother to reconsider because it’s not even 3 months before our wedding and we already put down the deposit, this is where my future brother-in-law said they don’t want to change their date because they’ve been dating longer than us. His brother asked if we would move our wedding date for them and my fiancé said no because we already put the down deposit. Honestly why would we accommodate to them if they weren’t gonna accommodate to us??

I gave him an ultimatum and said if they go through with setting their wedding less than 3 months before ours then I will not be going. My fiancé said that’s pretty hosed up that I wouldn’t go to their wedding especially since I’m marrying into the family and it would be right before ours but personally with planning my own wedding I feel that I am not financially stable to go to a destination wedding less than 3 months before my own.

Weddings should be banned. You can get married, but you can't have a wedding. So there.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Foo Diddley posted:

i just want a can of OK soda

probobly not what you meant but

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

AITA for telling my fiancé I won’t attend his brother’s wedding not even 3 months before ours ?

Weddings should be banned. You can get married, but you can't have a wedding. So there.

Just lol at being forewarned that there's going to be another wedding in the family in the near future and you do absolutely nothing to find out when the date might be. But there's a decent chance most of the family won't make it to a destination wedding and they'll all go to the 2nd wedding instead. Drama to last for generations.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

greazeball posted:

The can design just remindes me of :ok: except a soda

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

greazeball posted:

no i meant this stuff

a carbonated "beverage"

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Dazerbeams posted:

Just lol at being forewarned that there's going to be another wedding in the family in the near future and you do absolutely nothing to find out when the date might be. But there's a decent chance most of the family won't make it to a destination wedding and they'll all go to the 2nd wedding instead. Drama to last for generations.

I think a three-month spacing between weddings is perfectly fine. And I think the idea that the eldest gets to go first is ridiculous.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Those cans, like, try too hard.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

kntfkr posted:

They’re the most 90s thing I’ve seen in a while, I had almost forgotten about them.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

kntfkr posted:

no they were perfect. maybe you had to be there

Pope Corky the IX posted:

They’re the most 90s thing I’ve seen in a while, I had almost forgotten about them.

they were '90s as gently caress

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

metachronos posted:

Mista Dobalina Mista Bob Boblina

While the naming convention was incredibly infuriating, it was also very clear. Double kudos for introducing Bobbie in an organic way rather than shoving the name up in the preamble, paragraphs before it was relevant.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I think a three-month spacing between weddings is perfectly fine. And I think the idea that the eldest gets to go first is ridiculous.

It doesn't really matter which wedding goes first. But it's less an issue about the time in between so much as it is spending precious vacation days to go to a wedding of all things. I am speaking as an American with a finite amount of paid leave.

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Looks like pretty Tryhard soda, but OK whatever you say...

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

gently caress anyone who plans a tropical destination wedding and isn't either a) rich and paying for everyone to fly out and stay, or b) willing to accept that a huge number of invitees are not going to come.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Foo Diddley posted:

no i meant this stuff

a carbonated "beverage"

gently caress I'm reading wikipedia on this and getting some pretty bad vibes, I gotta say. I was 18 in 93 which was exactly the target demo for this and gently caress them for hard-selling the bleak rear end future under a gray layer of gen x apathy for all the other ad produers to softly copy until the towers came down

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

deety posted:

Yeah, this confused me. I play a lot of board games, and Settlers, for the folks I play with, is a gently caress around game where we drink and make jokes about having wood for sheep and pointlessly wrangle over the longest road while someone else quietly racks up a bunch of points some other way. It's totally beginner friendly, too.

I read it that she was only building a long road and not taking any other actions to actually win the game.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

greazeball posted:

gently caress I'm reading wikipedia on this and getting some pretty bad vibes, I gotta say. I was 18 in 93 which was exactly the target demo for this and gently caress them for hard-selling the bleak rear end future under a gray layer of gen x apathy for all the other ad produers to softly copy until the towers came down

they had a hotline, 1-800-I-FEEL-OK

e: also i got one of those OK hats, i still have it in a closet and/or box somewhere
ee: wikipedia is full of LIES. the canister had three quarters in it, not two

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Picking your wedding date second and putting it right before a family member's wedding date is the shittiest version of the price-is-right bidding game. 3-months is absolutely too close together for out-of-town guests.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Lone Goat posted:

I read it that she was only building a long road and not taking any other actions to actually win the game.

If Straight-Laced Boyfriend is as adamant about playing the "correct" way as it appears, he should play chess.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Pope Hilarius II posted:

If Straight-Laced Boyfriend is as adamant about playing the "correct" way as it appears, he should play chess.

There’s a happy middle ground between ‘reads strategy guides on the weekend to max his cluedo win%’ and being churlish, they’re not both wrong, just incompatible.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Lone Goat posted:

you can also read it as she was doing a perfectly competent job of playing and he just took issue with what she was doing because it was disadvantageous for him

or you can read anything between those two extremes

but I'm not inclined to give OP any benefit of the doubt

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for not selling a car purchased for my wife?

quote:

I(30M) and my wife(32F) currently own a 2018 Honda Accord and a Honda Civic. My wife found out she is pregnant and has talked about wanting to get a bigger car. Her car is also high in mileage as she travels about 1 hour and 30 minutes to work everyday. We have 5 corgis that we both love very much. I recently got a promotion at my job and can afford purchasing a used car. She has been talking non-stop about getting a Jeep Cherokee.

I found the Jeep Cherokee that I knew she would love in the color that she wanted with low mileage. After everything went through and the car was ready to be picked up, I parked it in the outside garage. When my wife got home, I surprised her with the car and handed her the keys. She looked at me and started crying. She handed me the keys and said I am so sorry, I changed my mind. My friend got a tesla SUV and I took it out to test drive. That's the car that I want now. You can sell the car and we can go looking for tesla's this weekend.

I was devastated as it took time to get the loan approved and to purchase the vehicle. The car is also going to be under the insurance. I told her that I was not going to sell the car as I would drive it and she can drive mine if she wants. She wasn't thrilled with that answer and called me a cheapskate.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Alchenar posted:

gently caress anyone who plans a tropical destination wedding and isn't either a) rich and paying for everyone to fly out and stay, or b) willing to accept that a huge number of invitees are not going to come.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Did he try jangling the keys in front of her face? She sounds like she'd forget all about the Tesla if he did that.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Soylent Pudding posted:

These people sound too awful to not be real.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

OP is the rear end in a top hat because who the hell buys something as major as a car without consulting the other partner?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Soylent Pudding posted:

lol the Tesla is like $100k

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

OP is the rear end in a top hat because who the hell buys something as major as a car without consulting the other partner?
Yeah, you're not wrong. The surprise factor isn't worth it.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Anyone who wants a large car for non-commercial purposes is the rear end in a top hat.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

Anyone who wants a large car for non-commercial purposes is the rear end in a top hat.

With five corgis in the house and a baby on the way, I can see why they would want something a little roomier than an Accord and a Civic

Better than the jerkoffs that buy huge fuckoff F-950+ pickups and literally never use the bed

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Yeah that's a clear violation of the rules. Everyone knows weddings MUST be separated by 6 months minimum. Sure, it's in a totally different place, months apart, and otherwise nothing similar, but still.

My brother and sister in law had a kid less than 6 months after we did. You'd better believe we don't speak to them any more. lol who the gently caress cares

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
a tesla SUV

I want to say this is a comedy post because there is no way that exists, but I know that would just inspire someone to post pictures of the tesla SUV and I don't want that.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Soylent Pudding posted:

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I mean, per the post if she's constantly talking about it then I understand buying it for her.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Arsenic Lupin posted:

My speculation is these people are rich enough that huge wedding gifts are the norm, and they're thinking their relatives will be "broke" after the tropical destination wedding. Like, the kind of broke where you can only afford to spend $1,000 on a wedding present instead of $5,000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

AITA for telling a friend the wedding we are invited to will not have a vegan plate for her?

quote:

I used to live with two other guys “Eric” and “Andre”. Eric is getting married and showed me the catering menu back before they booked and I didn’t think much of it, I did read that is said they would provide up to 7 complimentary vegan meals so it seemed like the menu covered anything I could think of.

Well the wedding is in December and I just heard that they decided not to request vegan meals for any of the guests because they are having a family style dinner and think having randomly plated food will look weird and the bonus of family style is not having to worry about accommodating people, they can get what they like. I think they’re way overthinking it, no one is going to notice a plate and the family style menu will not provide enough food to accommodate vegans. The salad has cheese and neither dressing is vegan and the summer squash medley is being served underneath one of the entrees so I’m pretty sure vegans will not be able to eat from that plate. Eric and his fiancé ignored my concerns and kept saying they (the vegans) can figure it out.

Only the marinated eggplant side and fruit on the desert table look suitable for the whole night. There’s nothing to “figure out” except that you should eat elsewhere if you’re vegan. So I told Andre to warn his (vegan) girl to bring food or eat before hand. Andre asked Eric about the food situation. Apparently, that was super rude of me to imply Eric and his fiancée are lovely, inconsiderate hosts. I feel like I can’t say they don’t fit the description but was it not my business to warn a friend?
How dare you make us look like bad hosts by warning one of our guests there won't be any food she can eat?
AITA after no longer allowing my mother in laws friend to baby sit my children after she started calling them her babies?

quote:

I (26 F) am the mother of two kids (4F and 3M) My husband (27M) and I both work office jobs. Due to this, we need someone to watch the kids while we aren’t home. We mostly had babysitters but a few months back my MIL (48F) suggested that her friend could watch them for free. I told her it wasn’t necessary since we could afford a babysitter just fine, but she insisted. I didn’t really see any harm in it after she kept asking, so i gave in and her friend (45F) started babysitting our kids. Everything was perfect for the first few months, she was always on time and always fed my kids and put them to bed at the time I suggested.

My kids seemed to really like her, but about a few weeks ago my oldest came to me and asked me if I was their real mommy. I was confused, and asked her what she meant. Well turns out, MILs friend had been telling my kids that they were her babies, and when they protested saying they werent , she would yell at them saying that I was just their money maker and that she was their real mommy.

I told my husband about this and he hired a babysitter on the spot. Then me and him called my MIL and told her about the situation, we told her that we weren’t going to have her friend over anymore because it made us uncomfortable. We even told her what my kid had told me.

Well, MIL didn’t take it well. Over the phone she started screaming, saying that quote on quote “my friend doesn’t have any kids or grandchildren, so your kids are the closest things she’s had to it, and you’re going to take that away from her?!”

My husband and I tried to calm her down, but after a bit we just hung up. I received a photo of MIL friend crying on MIL couch later that night.

I feel horrible for making her upset, but I don’t like how she was telling my kids these things. I understand that she doesn’t have kids, but that doesn’t excuse her behaviour.

But for my peace of mind, AITA?

I'm assuming the MIL thinks her friend will still allow the MIL to be the grandparent, so substituting her friend for her daughter-in-law is win-win.