Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
someone definitely saw you working on it and waited until you were in bed and snagged it. Glad you have renter's insurance because I believe it will cover it past the deductable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Smythe posted:

well folks u may remembver me talking about my bootleg diy ebike that would go 30 mph strapped on to a 30 year old walmart bike project. that was pretty cool. it finally arrived from china and i got to assembling it. i got to the brakes and the old brake lines were incompatible with the modern brakes from the ebike kit so the motor cutoff worked, seems important. well i had to order that poo poo and it was getting dark and cold so i chained it up where it has been for the last uh year or something unmolested. u can c where this story is going. long story short someone broke my chain and stoled it. it had the motor front wheel bolted on, and i had stripped the shifters, brake levers, brake lines, chains, and grips. anyways now the that the hub motor is gone i think i have to rebuy the whole kit unless i find the motor that they jacked for sale on fb marketplace or maybe another hub motor that someone else jacked.

pretty annoying. gone in under 48 hours of putting the hub motor on it. lasted over a year in its old form. i didnt clean it or nothin. it was filthy and covered in spiders. i think someone saw me tinkering with it in my courtyard and came back to jack it. so dumb. sooo dumb. maybe renters ins can cover. idk

i drove around hunting for it and saw one billion bike parts in many "encampments" (proto shanty towns due to the collapse of this great empire) around the city. sux. leave these bikes alone ppl. drat.

one of my customers at work had their bike stolen from their third floor balcony while they were at work. thieves rented a cherry picker and yoinked it lmao

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017

Smythe posted:

well folks u may remembver me talking about my bootleg diy ebike that would go 30 mph strapped on to a 30 year old walmart bike project. that was pretty cool. it finally arrived from china and i got to assembling it. i got to the brakes and the old brake lines were incompatible with the modern brakes from the ebike kit so the motor cutoff worked, seems important. well i had to order that poo poo and it was getting dark and cold so i chained it up where it has been for the last uh year or something unmolested. u can c where this story is going. long story short someone broke my chain and stoled it. it had the motor front wheel bolted on, and i had stripped the shifters, brake levers, brake lines, chains, and grips. anyways now the that the hub motor is gone i think i have to rebuy the whole kit unless i find the motor that they jacked for sale on fb marketplace or maybe another hub motor that someone else jacked.

pretty annoying. gone in under 48 hours of putting the hub motor on it. lasted over a year in its old form. i didnt clean it or nothin. it was filthy and covered in spiders. i think someone saw me tinkering with it in my courtyard and came back to jack it. so dumb. sooo dumb. maybe renters ins can cover. idk

i drove around hunting for it and saw one billion bike parts in many "encampments" (proto shanty towns due to the collapse of this great empire) around the city. sux. leave these bikes alone ppl. drat.

drat, that's awful.
Did they get the battery? That was like 60% of the cost on my conversion.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Ive had dozens of bikes stolen and it never gets any easier, ive had my current for 7 years now and ive become quite attached. if it got stolen I'd be very :(

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Stealing from not rich people is pretty loving lame, we can all agree

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

dang. why dont they just stick to stealing catalytic converters

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

cool av posted:

dang. why dont they just stick to stealing catalytic converters

The stealing cats thing is just lmao to me, I've never ever heard of anybody having their catalytic converter stolen in NZ. Entire cars sure, but not just the cat.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

someone definitely saw you working on it and waited until you were in bed and snagged it. Glad you have renter's insurance because I believe it will cover it past the deductable

ya i thnk so too

Mr. Sharps posted:

one of my customers at work had their bike stolen from their third floor balcony while they were at work. thieves rented a cherry picker and yoinked it lmao

thats crazy drat

Cat Puke posted:

drat, that's awful.
Did they get the battery? That was like 60% of the cost on my conversion.

nopers, just the front wheel with the motor and the frame lol. stil got all the parts. apparently i can rebuy the tire+motor for $200. not bad..

Suplex Liberace posted:

Ive had dozens of bikes stolen and it never gets any easier, ive had my current for 7 years now and ive become quite attached. if it got stolen I'd be very :(

sad sending u good vibes

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

agreed

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

stealing bikes is praxis imo. shittier the bike even more important it is to take parts off. bike seat $5, wheels $5, frame $10. ez snip snip free handle of smirnoff, little lifehack. if you dont want ur bike stolen, get a CAR.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
seeing bikes being stolen is why onewheels, e-scooters, or if you're a demented adrenaline junkie, a EUC is much more viable and discreet too. Very easy to deploy, take it anywhere since it's a million times smaller and lighter than a bike, maintenance is arguably more difficult but durability evens that out, also a little bit of a skill ceiling that makes any would be thief nosedive, and a serial with GPS~

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

:yeah:

Xaris posted:

stealing bikes is praxis imo. shittier the bike even more important it is to take parts off. bike seat $5, wheels $5, frame $10. ez snip snip free handle of smirnoff, little lifehack. if you dont want ur bike stolen, get a CAR.

:fut:

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Suplex Liberace posted:

Ive had dozens of bikes stolen

What the gently caress dozens?? Unless you're exaggerating by a factor of 10 you might be a world record holder on this one

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

use a ulock and a chain, or even better spend 10 bucks on a 2x4 and 2 ceiling hooks and hang your bike inside

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Polo-Rican posted:

What the gently caress dozens?? Unless you're exaggerating by a factor of 10 you might be a world record holder on this one

could be dutch

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

ArmZ posted:

use a ulock and a chain, or even better spend 10 bucks on a 2x4 and 2 ceiling hooks and hang your bike inside

yea thats my plan for next. but i will need a pully system since im gonna hang it above my stairs. gonna be neat. also deadly in an earthquake =D

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Polo-Rican posted:

dozens sounds extreme but bike thefts (or part thefts) are super duper common in the bay area. i imagine it's also true for NYC and poo poo as well. ulocks don't really stop a 3-second angle-grinder job; it's mostly just to convince them to steal from the rube whose too poor (or not smart) to buy better than a lovely combo wire-lock. but why not get both.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

remember folks: chains are more resistant to angle grinders than u-locks. they bounce around when they're getting cut and it's harder to find purchase. look for a chain with links thicker than 12mm, preferably hardened steel. principle is the same if you're gonna use a u-lock, in that if it's any thinner than 12mm it can be cut with bolt cutters by an average strength person. 16mm is the sweet spot. get one that locks on both ends of the u

make sure your anchor point is solid. some people sabotage bike stands and come back to them later for an easy grab

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Xaris posted:

dozens sounds extreme but bike thefts (or part thefts) are super duper common in the bay area. i imagine it's also true for NYC and poo poo as well. ulocks don't really stop a 3-second angle-grinder job; it's mostly just to convince them to steal from the rube whose too poor (or not smart) to buy better than a lovely combo wire-lock. but why not get both.

can confirm, bike theft is super prevalent in nyc and it sucks rear end. delivery workers get held up at gunpoint for their ebikes with horrible frequency.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

sat on my keys! posted:

can confirm, bike theft is super prevalent in nyc and it sucks rear end. delivery workers get held up at gunpoint for their ebikes with horrible frequency.
My biggest question is where the gently caress do these all go? Are there really that many scummy riders/shops/resellers that will buy bikes of dubious origin at the quantity we see being stolen?

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

mila kunis posted:

toronto is an incredibly aloof place and canadians in general hate talking to strangers, making friends and a social circle after moving there is not that easy.

I was there for a week and had the exact opposite experience ... friendly affable people, everyone i met. Could be different after moving there, cant speak from experience, but my two friends who went there for university had a solid group of friends :shrug:

insanely expensive though, i agree w that

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Lastgirl posted:

seeing bikes being stolen is why onewheels, e-scooters, or if you're a demented adrenaline junkie, a EUC is much more viable and discreet too. Very easy to deploy, take it anywhere since it's a million times smaller and lighter than a bike, maintenance is arguably more difficult but durability evens that out, also a little bit of a skill ceiling that makes any would be thief nosedive, and a serial with GPS~

nobody steals those bc they make the rider look like a big dweeb

Segue
May 23, 2007

In Toronto I just use the Bike Share system to get around and it's gotten so much better with the hundreds of stations and new bike lanes.

I have cyclist friends who think they're too heavy and unwieldy but honestly they're still perfectly quick and I feel a lot safer than on a road bike whose skinny tires get lodged in streetcar tracks. There was a good YouTube video on Dutch grandma bikes which I feel captures the appeal of a solid commuter bike

I'd otherwise be tempted to get a nice bike but they get stolen too much. This way I don't even worry about repair and occasionally I'll find an electric one they're piloting. For $100 a year it's so nice and I've forgotten the pain of waiting for a bus to never come.

It's amazing how such a small and hard-fought infrastructure investment has made my travel around the city so effortless (except for the drat hills to St. Clair).

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
I chain myself to my bike

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

lil poopendorfer posted:

nobody steals those bc they make the rider look like a big dweeb

nobody gives a gently caress what anyone looks like though, even if they did everyone will all be dead and dirt one day anyways so what's the point :confused: :fut:

Radirot posted:

I chain myself to my bike

i juice my modded heelies and have a backpack that carries my collapsible e-scooter and a battery attache to the backpack to always keep juicing both on the go 24/7 so nobody can ever steal it if i'm always going

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

My city has a really bad bike theft problem that has just been left to fester for 20 years and I rode really junky bikes that I put together or got dirt rear end cheep. Thats why bikes rule if there is enough they just become like pens, very fluid in terms of ownership.

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017

Cugel the Clever posted:

My biggest question is where the gently caress do these all go? Are there really that many scummy riders/shops/resellers that will buy bikes of dubious origin at the quantity we see being stolen?

Does anyone have an answer? I'm also curious.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Lastgirl posted:

nobody gives a gently caress what anyone looks like though, even if they did everyone will all be dead and dirt one day anyways so what's the point :confused: :fut:

i juice my modded heelies and have a backpack that carries my collapsible e-scooter and a battery attache to the backpack to always keep juicing both on the go 24/7 so nobody can ever steal it if i'm always going

lol heelies id be falling on my rear end all the time (i haven't skated in 100 years)

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
E: wrong thread

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Cat Puke posted:

Does anyone have an answer? I'm also curious.

i'd assume stolen bikes are just openly sold without worry because the nypd are pathologically opposed to bikes and give negative shits.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

HATE

CAR

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Harik posted:

i'd assume stolen bikes are just openly sold without worry because the nypd are pathologically opposed to bikes and give negative shits.

didn’t somebody link to a story itt about a nerd who tracked down his stolen e-bike with an air tag and the police didn’t want to help. when he finally got the cops to come with him to the shop trying to resell it, an employee threatened him physically IN FRONT OF THE COPS and they were still reluctant to make him give the guy his bike back lol

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Radirot posted:

lol heelies id be falling on my rear end all the time (i haven't skated in 100 years)

its the illegal kind that makes you go really fast and the best part is that its juiced enough to kick gravel into car side mirrors :c00lbert:

anti car culture warriors gotta have radical means of transpo, yanno, gotta keep up with the lifestyle

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4qsKNUKih4

you slip on these puppies and you're king of the sidewalk, and nobody's going to gently caress with you

you do whatever you want

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAw81rfdf8c

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
no

RadiRoot has issued a correction as of 08:23 on Nov 10, 2021

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

eSports Chaebol posted:

didn’t somebody link to a story itt about a nerd who tracked down his stolen e-bike with an air tag and the police didn’t want to help. when he finally got the cops to come with him to the shop trying to resell it, an employee threatened him physically IN FRONT OF THE COPS and they were still reluctant to make him give the guy his bike back lol

https://www.theverge.com/22667600/delivery-workers-seamless-uber-relay-new-york-electric-bikes-apps

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017

Lastgirl posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4qsKNUKih4

you slip on these puppies and you're king of the sidewalk, and nobody's going to gently caress with you

you do whatever you want

https://youtu.be/2929b8jcFQ4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

what if those silly hoverboards from a couple years ago were even more dangerous?!