Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Nihilarian posted:

still pretty salty about Marry Grave's ending

I'm glad we got some sort of closure despite the fact that the series absolutely should have been allowed to finish properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

I do actually kinda appreciate it. Red Hood basically going I don't want an ending I just want to continue is kinda depressing, but better than going "Everyone live happily ever after" or "Everyone dies the end"

See, I feel like even if it was doing the "no future but what we make" ending, that would work better if the book being destroyed was a hard stop to the story, cutting the reader off from the world. It'd take some dialogue to make it feel like it was just us going away rather than the world being destroyed, but it would make for a nice feeling of finality that'd work on a meta level, having the event that cancels the series and that leaves the characters free to make their own lives outside of the bounds of a set narrative be one and the same. Going on for a bit after breaking the book disconnects the themes and the actual events, losing an opportunity to do something neat with the early cancellation.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I do appreciate that while the death row escapees are jobbing hard, they are selling the gently caress out of The Order being absolutely frightening opponents.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that reminds me of stealth symphony, which was cancelled after 20 chapters but had the guts to make the mc into a rampaging monster that was then put down. if it is cancelled anyway then why not go nuts with the ending?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Mashle: :allears: Also drat those puns were great.
And I can't help but smile at the good guys hunting the bad guys down.

Neru:

chiasaur11 posted:

Yeah, if this had been around as a motive earlier, the manga might have had a chance. Basic motivations are important, as it turns out.
So much this. This chapter was really good. It basically answered all of my critiques from last time and put in some fascinating character motivations and status. Imagine if we'd just gotten a scene with his mother first or even him thinking about his mother.
As it turns out, Neru was just badly written. It's unfortunate.

Roboco: Lol.

Sakamoto:

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I do appreciate that while the death row escapees are jobbing hard, they are selling the gently caress out of The Order being absolutely frightening opponents.

This. On the one hand, the escapees aren't putting up much of a fight. But at the same time we're shown that they are in fact really strong and I appreciate the Manga's pacing. It's not wasting time with these guys at all. No "I'm not left handed" moments here. All of them are going straight for each other's throats, it just so happens the assassins guild is better at it.
I wonder if the slimming down is an actual plot point. We generally only see him slim down when he gets really serious.

Undead: Cool chapter, cool resolution to the fight. I'm really liking spring.

Elusive Samurai :ohdear: A lot of moving parts this chapter.

Witch Watch continues to be really good.

Magu chan: I love the holy knights :)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i really loved the page with the scary bug mask guy's reactions.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Arakawa’s new manga that was teased a while back now has a name and a start date:

https://twitter.com/MangaMoguraRE/status/1458076529573892101

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.

Larryb posted:

Arakawa’s new manga that was teased a while back now has a name and a start date:

https://twitter.com/MangaMoguraRE/status/1458076529573892101

For the curious, the Yomi in the title is this one (land of the dead). Shigai probably just means city, but I'm not sure why it'd be in katakana in the title.

It will be good to have some new from Arakawa to read again.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Shigai also apparently means “corpse”. Weird title but the premise sounds interesting at least.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Slight correction on the title:

https://twitter.com/MangaMogura/status/1458078497054810116?s=20

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Where can I read that in the states? Is it going to be in the viz app or through something like comixology?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kingtheninja posted:

Where can I read that in the states? Is it going to be in the viz app or through something like comixology?

No idea if anything’s been announced yet but I’m sure at least some fan will wind up translating it if no official source picks it up.

Speaking of, is there still any legal way to read FMA and whatever Arakawa’s other manga was called out of curiosity?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Larryb posted:

No idea if anything’s been announced yet but I’m sure at least some fan will wind up translating it if no official source picks it up.

Speaking of, is there still any legal way to read FMA and whatever Arakawa’s other manga was called out of curiosity?

Yeah they’re both on comiXology.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Alacron posted:

Yeah they’re both on comiXology.

Good to know thanks. What was the one she did after FMA called again and is it worth a read in your opinion (also how’s the anime adaption assuming it got one)?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Silver Spoon. Chill story about kids growing up and finding their way in life in an agricultural school. Very good read.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
There's also a really nice hardcover edition of fma being released at the moment. They're at like 14 or 15 volumes so far.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kingtheninja posted:

There's also a really nice hardcover edition of fma being released at the moment. They're at like 14 or 15 volumes so far.

Speaking of which, I only ever experienced FMA in anime form. Is there anything in the manga that wasn’t covered (or is slightly different from) by the original series & Brotherhood?

On the flip side, did Silver Spoon ever get an anime? If so, is it a decent adaption and does it cover the entire manga or just part of it?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Nov 10, 2021

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Larryb posted:

Speaking of which, I only ever experienced FMA in anime form. Is there anything in the manga that wasn’t covered (or is slightly different from) by the original series & Brotherhood?

There's the odd backup story here and there, gag strips and I think an epilogue where they melt down Al's old armor to turn it into parts for Ed's leg.

And I personally prefer Silver Spoon to FMA, I think it's a really well crafted coming-of-age story with a good ending.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Larryb posted:

On the flip side, did Silver Spoon ever get an anime? If so, is it a decent adaption and does it cover the entire manga or just part of it?

The anime cut a fight between Envy, and Gluttony vs Ling and Lan Fan right before the Lust fight. There were also some other stuff shaved off earlier on.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

The anime cut a fight between Envy, and Gluttony vs Ling and Lan Fan right before the Lust fight. There were also some other stuff shaved off earlier on.

So it’s worth experiencing it again then. Good to know.

Final question, was FMA Arakawa’s first manga or did she do anything notable before that?

Also to answer my second question, it appears Silver Spoon got a two season anime. Is it any good as an adaption and how much of the manga does it cover?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 10, 2021

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
She also draws the heroic legend of arslan that is on crunchyroll

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Jose posted:

She also draws the heroic legend of arslan that is on crunchyroll

Neat, how’s that one?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'm enjoying it well enough. It's based on a novel/light novel. You can probably find a decent enough synopsis online but I reckon the first few chapters will give you enough of an idea whether you'll want to keep reading

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Didn't Heroic Legend of Arslan end like a space opera tragedy with a dead cast?

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.

Larryb posted:

So it’s worth experiencing it again then. Good to know.

Final question, was FMA Arakawa’s first manga or did she do anything notable before that?

Also to answer my second question, it appears Silver Spoon got a two season anime. Is it any good as an adaption and how much of the manga does it cover?

The silver spoon anime is pretty well done. I think it covers something like 1/2 of the manga, though it's honestly hard to remember with how many hiatuses the last part of the manga got stretched out over. I should probably read that again sometime to get the full impact of all the material back to back.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Ao Ashi has been good lately. I’m really looking forward to this match ending; it feels like the culmination of the whole manga until now.

It’s probably the series I look forward to most week-to-week at this point.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
It's been a while, but my impression was Heroic Legend of Arslan reads a lot like Fire Emblem-- a lot of unnamed enemies die and the named ones are left conveniently alive so Arslan can recruit them later on

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Isn’t that manga the comic book version of the book the Legend of Galactic Heroes guy wrote? If so massive unnamed casualties is really just expected.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I wasn’t even aware silver spoon had finished, I thought arakawa had gone on indefinite hiatus after a thousand misfortunes befell her family line

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

I wasn’t even aware silver spoon had finished, I thought arakawa had gone on indefinite hiatus after a thousand misfortunes befell her family line

I think it had two? But even before the first one is felt like she was wrapping things up.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I should finish Farm Metal Agriculturalist Silver Spoon, hmm. And maybe start reading the FMA manga in earnest.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
I just read all of Witch Watch and I love that fresh new manga pacing!! I also love that the spell to help a guy poop in peace has been so useful.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1458352947365036032?s=20

No one is surprised

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
A series that went even fewer places than Red Hood I think? He made it to school and ???????.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The Hell's Paradise mangaka has a new series starting in weekly jump. I wanna know who his editor is so I can figure out if it'll get screwed up or not.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Pierson posted:

A series that went even fewer places than Red Hood I think? He made it to school and ???????.

He made it to school, caught an arrow, then fought two dudes. Fin.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
hey, don't forget that he didn't really have a goal for what little he did do.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Now I'm wondering what the manga was that was cancelled fastest and accomplished least and I think Neru might be at or near the top? Even U19 managed a few basic plot hooks and that series was born dead.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Pierson posted:

Now I'm wondering what the manga was that was cancelled fastest and accomplished least and I think Neru might be at or near the top? Even U19 managed a few basic plot hooks and that series was born dead.

The shortest running Shonen Jump manga was Chagecha, by the author of Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo, which was cancelled before the first volume was released. That said, it still managed to have a clear narrative goal, formed a team of fighters with their own individual gags, and had one fight with narrative stakes.

It was bad, but it managed to do more than Neru in ten fewer chapters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Neru was interesting, but ultimately started too slow and didn't have time to develop the original concept. Which, judging by the latest few series, is currently a death sentence for a Jump manga.

Apparently you gotta have a quick hook and put the cards right on the table, and then maybe scramble them later when the series is a bit more established.