Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012
:bignews: There is in fact a character redesign in BDSP! It's Jasmine. Presumably during the Master Rank Contests

New Vs. Old

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Shiroc posted:

Damnit Gamefreak, I DEMAND the value of you dealing with shittier coding patterns, more effort and increasing the surface for game breaking bugs to have two different compiled versions! THIS IS BULLSHIT
Or maybe they should just sell one game and let people pick what version they want inside the game?

It mostly feels like people just finding it an amusing reminder just how transparent the whole "two versions" thing is. Like, most people know it's always been a scam to sell more copies, they probably just figured there was a tiny bit more going on behind the scenes.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

imo they should have just remade platinum instead. would sell less copies though so i guess that's just impossible.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Ramanas is a kind of rose in East Asia for the record

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Oxyclean posted:

Or maybe they should just sell one game and let people pick what version they want inside the game?

It mostly feels like people just finding it an amusing reminder just how transparent the whole "two versions" thing is. Like, most people know it's always been a scam to sell more copies, they probably just figured there was a tiny bit more going on behind the scenes.

The amount of people who actually buy two copies is going to be so tiny overall as to be entirely irrelevant. The motivation for two was to encourage trading and getting your friends to get the other version. You could argue that the games only had trading so you couldn't get everything in one game but so does every time where you have to pick 1 of n Pokemon, the starters, fossils, Eevee evolution in the first game and so forth. It has all been baked in since the first moment anyone encounters the games.

Again, if you're mad about that, its capitalism that's the problem.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Sleeping Sigma posted:

:bignews: There is in fact a character redesign in BDSP! It's Jasmine. Presumably during the Master Rank Contests

New Vs. Old

Changing her to be entirely grayscale is a bold choice, I'll admit. :v:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Oxyclean posted:

It's totally not though.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Cattail Prophet posted:

Changing her to be entirely grayscale is a bold choice, I'll admit. :v:

She's finally living up to the "Steel-clad" part of her epitaph.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Sleeping Sigma posted:

Good-ish news about encounters in the Grand Underground:

Radar, Swarm, GBA-insert mons and even Togepi have been found down there pre nat-dex. They go with the FRLG method of having their dex number be ???. Sadly, it looks like Eevee is still relegated to post game as far as anyone can tell. No word yet on things like other starters either.

I'll be fair here, I very much like the background design choices they've made in regard to underground battles. It's not enough to get me over the hump but never let it be said I won't give out praise where it's due. I hope to see more like this in the future.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Flopsy posted:

I'll be fair here, I very much like the background design choices they've made in regard to underground battles. It's not enough to get me over the hump but never let it be said I won't give out praise where it's due. I hope to see more like this in the future.

Yeah the battle scene looks way better than in swosh

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Vandar posted:

It's totally not though.
I wouldn't call it a scam, but selling more copies is absolutely the reason they release two minorly different versions of the same game.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Vandar posted:

It's totally not though.
https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/pokemon-sword-and-pokemon-shield-double-pack-switch/
https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/pokemon-brilliant-diamond-and-pokemon-shining-pearl-double-pack-switch/

Like, arguably when the first put Red and Blue (or Green) out, it was a gimmick to encourage trading. But like anything marketed towards kids, it was almost certainly done for marketing and sales reasons too.

Maybe the average, savvy person is not getting both versions, but there are undoubtably parents that go "oh there's two games, well, I'll get them both" ... my parents did just that when I wrote "Pokemon Gold OR Silver" on my Christmas list.

The idea of separate versions is honestly a lame gimmick at this point. There's plenty of other ways to encourage trading such as trade evolutions. Or you just let players make a choice at the start of the game that still locks them into having a few unique stuff they'll get along their journey that they'll need to find someone who made the other choice. Sort of like is already a thing in some of the games.

Don't get me wrong, Pokemon having two versions is not the most exploitative thing in gaming, but it sure is a gimmick that exists to sell more copies.

Shiroc posted:

The amount of people who actually buy two copies is going to be so tiny overall as to be entirely irrelevant.
I think this is a sucky defense, because it's the exact sort of defense people use for lootboxes and micro-transactions. There is absolutely people who have completion brain that realize it's going to be easier if they just buy both version then deal with trying to get people to part with version exclusive limited pokemon. (As well as enabling self-trading.)

Again, it's not like, the most manipulative thing out there, but I still think it's kind of funny just how thin the gimmick is. Just sell people "Pokémon Diamond and Pearl" and let them pick "Diamond" or "Pearl" at the start of the game. (And whow, they could make a secondary switch account or save and play the other one....)

E: Like, yeah, blame capitalisms, but i'm also going to blame developer(s) that is being notably gross.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I...don't see how this is a scam? At all?

quote:

Don't get me wrong, Pokemon having two versions is not the most exploitative thing in gaming, but it sure is a gimmick that exists to sell more copies.

I mean yeah they want to sell more copies but that hardly makes it a scam.

quote:

(As well as enabling self-trading.)

I would assume the number of people who do self-trading is incredibly small. :shrug: I can't imagine most people have had two Game Boys or two DS units or two Switches.

I think the 'THEY'RE SELLING TWO COPIES IT'S SUCH A RIPOFF' thing is something that's been blown way out of proportion over the years, but that's just me I guess. There's plenty of issues with the franchise that it seems like such a weird and minor thing for people to try and make a big deal over.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Flopsy posted:

As much as I've been critical, the new Underground stuff absolutely owns. My thoughts on it are similar to my thoughts on the better parts of Sword and Shield: if everything got that much love and attention, we could have some amazing games on our hands!

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Oxyclean posted:

E: Like, yeah, blame capitalisms, but i'm also going to blame developer(s) that is being notably gross.

This isn't remotely 'notably gross'.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Pokemon versions were kind of a rip back when they only had one save per cart, which really encouraged families with multiple Pokemon-playing kids to buy multiple copies, but otherwise the third versions were way more of a scam than the alternate ones.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Vandar posted:

I...don't see how this is a scam? At all?
They are literally selling you two copies of the same game. When they could sell you one game, with a toggle in it. Like, a physical 2-pack, I can see an argument for, you got two kids, each with their own switch. But there's digital versions of these dual packs, which makes it feel like they might as well be selling "Pokemon Boy" and "Pokemon Girl" - like it feels like an absolutely trivial distinction between versions to excuse treating them as meaningfully distinct.

Vandar posted:

I think the 'THEY'RE SELLING TWO COPIES IT'S SUCH A RIPOFF' thing is something that's been blown way out of proportion over the years, but that's just me I guess. There's plenty of issues with the franchise that it seems like such a weird and minor thing for people to try and make a big deal over.
Like, just about no other company is doing this. It just seems super weird to me when you step back and look what it amounts to.

There's no good reason for it not to just be an in-game choice besides hoping to get people to double dip. You're right it's a minor thing, but it's just kind of evidence of their priorities I guess.

Shiroc posted:

This isn't remotely 'notably gross'.
There is people who double dip and the digital double packs are made with those people in mind. You don't need to defend this practice lol.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

These games need to hurry up and come out so we can stop arguing about one of the absolutely dumbest things to complain about with Pokemon.

Like seriously just buy one copy I'm starting to think some of you don't understand what the word scam means.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Oxyclean posted:

They are literally selling you two copies of the same game. When they could sell you one game, with a toggle in it. Like, a physical 2-pack, I can see an argument for, you got two kids, each with their own switch. But there's digital versions of these dual packs, which makes it feel like they might as well be selling "Pokemon Boy" and "Pokemon Girl" - like it feels like an absolutely trivial distinction between versions to excuse treating them as meaningfully distinct.

Like, just about no other company is doing this. It just seems super weird to me when you step back and look what it amounts to.

There's no good reason for it not to just be an in-game choice besides hoping to get people to double dip. You're right it's a minor thing, but it's just kind of evidence of their priorities I guess.

There is people who double dip and the digital double packs are made with those people in mind. You don't need to defend this practice lol.

I'm not defending it as much as trying to be polite in saying 'god shut the gently caress up jesus christ'

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Loads of kids collectable/TCG RPGs did the same thing. It's fallen off mostly on account of the series themselves dwindling, but some of the Yokai Watch titles did it, and the Mega Man games went all the way up to three simultaneous versions.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Shiroc posted:

I'm not defending it as much as trying to be polite in saying 'god shut the gently caress up jesus christ'

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Oxyclean posted:

Maybe the average, savvy person is not getting both versions, but there are undoubtably parents that go "oh there's two games, well, I'll get them both"

I've probably posted this story a hundred times. But when I pre-ordered SMTV, the guy at the counter asked if I pre-ordered the DP remakes too. I said I just didn't like how they looked (they still had a much more Duplo look at the time.) He said that he pre-ordered the double pack. And I felt bad. He also said he skipped gen 4 originally. So he has much more to gain from these than I do. But getting both still just seems like such a waste.

I think the GTS solves most of the version exclusive issues I had in the past. But it does make more sense for families with a few kids and stuff, like others said a few posts back.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Shiroc posted:

I'll shut the gently caress about when people shut the gently caress up with these kinds of posts

Shiroc posted:

Damnit Gamefreak, I DEMAND the value of you dealing with shittier coding patterns, more effort and increasing the surface for game breaking bugs to have two different compiled versions! THIS IS BULLSHIT
every time someone mildly criticizes these games and the business decisions around them.

"Oh, you think that's bad? What if <hyperbolic strawman conclusion>!"

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Oxyclean posted:

I'll shut the gently caress about when people shut the gently caress up with these kinds of posts

every time someone mildly criticizes these games and the business decisions around them.

I posted that because people were treating the obvious way in which they coded stuff as some kind of scandal and pointing out what they would have otherwise needed to do, which would have all been stupid extra work.

e: There is literally nobody here who doesn't think 'gee they don't *have* to make two versions'. But they do. They've always done it. Its one of Pokemon's things. They're never going to not do it.

Shiroc fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Nov 10, 2021

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

So which version are folks planning on getting? I got Diamond as a kid and figured I would try Shining Pearl this time. Has it been confirmed if the exclusive Pokemon are the same as the originals?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Motto posted:

Pokemon versions were kind of a rip back when they only had one save per cart, which really encouraged families with multiple Pokemon-playing kids to buy multiple copies, but otherwise the third versions were way more of a scam than the alternate ones.

I dunno. The third versions are at least a boatload of extra content, and fleshed out games that normally would've never had the chance. Sure, nowadays that kind of thing could be done with patches and DLC, but back in the Emerald or Platinum era you'd be getting a third version or nothing. For crying out loud, the touch-up work done on Platinum makes me almost wish we got Pokemon Gun instead of the two DLC packs.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I got Pearl because I like how Palkia looks more than Dialgia and Pearl was my favorite Steven Universe character.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Shiroc posted:

I posted that because people were treating the obvious way in which they coded stuff as some kind of scandal and pointing out what they would have otherwise needed to do, which would have all been stupid extra work.

e: There is literally nobody here who doesn't think 'gee they don't *have* to make two versions'. But they do. They've always done it. Its one of Pokemon's things. They're never going to not do it.
I guess my feeling was that no-one here thought they should version handling the dumb way.

Of course they're never going to not do it, but I thought people were reflecting on how thin the excuse for two versions is under the hood.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Oxyclean posted:

I guess my feeling was that no-one here thought they should version handling the dumb way.

Of course they're never going to not do it, but I thought people were reflecting on how thin the excuse for two versions is under the hood.

Yeah, same here. Like, holy poo poo, no, I don't want the same game built twice for no reason. If you're going to keep the differences, they should just have a toggle that lets you pick your version instead.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
If they actually sold Dual Pokemon WhateverGen that was an option to pick at the start of a save and that cost $100 to represent that there is still some extra work to make the version differences would that make you happy or is that still 'a scam'?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Shiroc posted:

If you're going to be indignant about people doing mild criticism I wouldn't back down about it in the same post. It makes the initial freakout seem less justified.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Shiroc posted:

If they actually sold Dual Pokemon WhateverGen that was an option to pick at the start of a save and that cost $100 to represent that there is still some extra work to make the version differences would that make you happy or is that still 'a scam'?

Honestly? I would've taken it for the current-gen price of $60. That's still 20 bucks more than I'd normally value a Pokemon game at, especially when Switch profiles take over the main utility of a second copy by letting me have multiple save files.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Shiroc posted:

Given the history of the series not ever really having particularly meaningful version differences (exclusive pokemon being just some modified encounter tables, R/S maybe did the most with Aqua and Magma, but still.) and my general feeling that initial releases often being lighter on content then they could be, no, paying extra for the ability to pick your version at the start, wouldn't really make me happy.

Like, I feel like there are JRPGs (and similar) that have the level of content pokemon third game/re-releases, in their first release. Sw/Sh in particular made me feel like I'd rather Gamefreak take longer to put these games out and give me more for my money.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

The Bee posted:

As much as I've been critical, the new Underground stuff absolutely owns. My thoughts on it are similar to my thoughts on the better parts of Sword and Shield: if everything got that much love and attention, we could have some amazing games on our hands!

Part of my frustration with the series is they have SO much untapped potential and if they harassed it intelligently we'd get something magnificent. I want them to bring their best elements together in a single game but more often than not it's just delicious icing on a wonder bread loaf. Yeah there's something to bring me to the table but it often tends to fall short of expectation. Is it weird to say I'm rooting for a franchise to up their game? Maybe I'm being a dewy eyed optimist but I'm hoping having separate teams to satisfy the unending maw of corporate demand will give them some time to actually put a solid game together for the next mainline series.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

If you're going to be indignant about people doing mild criticism I wouldn't back down about it in the same post. It makes the initial freakout seem less justified.

I haven't really backed down that people are making criticisms either based on completely not understanding game development or mad about things so fundamental to Pokemon at this point as to feel completely absurd to be mad about 25 years into it.

The frustration I have is that this thread gets into cycles of such negativity that it gets to a point that people have to ask if they really like Pokemon. The jankiness, random decisions, multiple versions and on and on have been there all the way from the start. Its the sense of entitlement that people are being wrongly denied the bespoke Pokemon game that is exactly what they want. The same kind of thing that repeats for Star Wars or Ghostbusters or anything else. Gamefreak, operating under the constraints of making money in the capitalism system and all, appears to be making more or less exactly the games they intend to make. Eventually if you just keep hating them, its okay to let go and enjoy the old ones or go play something else.

That's why there gets to be a tension between the people who are excited about the new games, or those just want to talk about how those are all poo poo and the old ones were the only good ones, or the those who want to say all of them were poo poo but are here for some reason, or the people who care about deep multiplayer meta, or people who just want to see their cute virtual friends in the games.

Its entirely possible to critique stuff without getting into cycles of mass negativity like freaking out for days about a leak that was apparently significant amounts of content.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

What if they just made one game but there were prompts like "what starter do you want" "which type of fossil do you want" "what color was the legendary you saw on TV" so you still had to trade with people

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
It's pretty obvious that remaking DP and selling them as a pair instead of selling one remake of Platinum is a business decision that's lovely for consumers and good for their bottom line.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I mean even with HGSS where they did include the Crystal content they still did 2 versions.

So, not doing anything with Platinum was probably unrelated to keeping them as 2 games.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Split the thread into "Pokemon Megathread Positive" and "Pokemon Megathread Negative" please, god, please

e: vv Jesus you're insufferable lmao

Scholtz fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Nov 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Scholtz posted:

Split the thread into "Pokemon Megathread Positive" and "Pokemon Megathread Negative" please, god, please

Pokemon Shills and Pokemon Realists