Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

Uthor posted:

Thoughts on the Xiaomi Mi Smart Band 5 or 6?

I have the Xiaomi Mi Band 5. For $30 it's fine, but you should know that it doesn't do all phone notifications, only texts and phone calls. I have people who chat on Google Chat (or whatever it's called now) or Slack and those don't show up, just literal text messages. I like it well enough for texts and step counting and showing me the time, but I'm keeping an eye on other smartwatches that can show all notifications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Good to know. I'm 50/50 SMS and Facebook Messenger. Phone is most important as those are more time sensitive.

Edit: seems like the 6 does any/all notifications, but the review I read says it displays them poorly on the small screen.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Sep 11, 2021

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
Garmin Venu/Venu 2 question - Is there a way to disable the screen turning on when a notification arrives? Have it vibrate only? The Venu 2 touchscreen is super sensitive, and sometimes my jacket sleeve or something will actually cause a screen action like a quick reply to be performed and I have no clue it happened :(

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

My Fitbit Inspire HR just stopped working after 2+ years, so I got a Garmin vívosmart 4 as a replacement. I haven't used it exercising, yet, but I don't think I like it much day-to-day?

I really don't like how it handles notifications in general, which is one of my two main uses for it. On the Inspire, I could see a few lines of the message on the screen at a time that I would manually scroll and it would stay on there until I dismissed it. On the vívosmart, I get really big text running up the screen sideways (I'm lucky if it fits the contact's entire name) and I need to watch it until it starts scrolling to read the message and I can't stop it (if it's a 2FA code I want to copy), and if I twist my wrist to turn on the screen without looking, the message will go away.

Getting around the screen is a bit unintuitive. The double tap to start a timer never works first try. I miss having a physical button that would just take you to the home screen if you pressed it enough.

I have it set to show me the weather, which works about 30% of the time.

I don't know what it looks for to check "stress" levels, but it's wanted me to do relaxation exercises when I was sitting watching TV with a beer, which is about the most relaxed I could be barring when I do yoga.

The one time I used it to track a walk, I went 0.7 miles and it tracked 0.9 miles. That off by 29%.

It did know that my "battery" was at 0 the day after a party where I was hung over in bed until the afternoon, so that worked properly.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

I've tried to do a quick read through the thread, but have a pretty specific question I didn't see an answer to.

I'm looking to buy a watch for my type 1 diabetic lady. She's got a dexcom g6, which has full comparability with our Android phones. She's currently running a Samsung S20. I've done a bunch of basic google research and see nothing but contrary opinions on the best for what she needs. She's also very slight of build, so smaller watches are better. I've been looking at the 40mm Galaxy fit 2.

I know it's kind of a reach, but if anyone here has experience with t1d, Android, dexcoms, and watches, I'd appreciate the hell out of any recommendations.

Edit: lte totally not needed, she'll be near enough to her phone most of the time, and this is pretty much just for blood sugar alerts.

Roundup Ready fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Nov 15, 2021

Kupo!
Sep 14, 2009

Just follow me through this wall, I can show you things
no mortal eyes were meant
to see.

Roundup Ready posted:

I've tried to do a quick read through the thread, but have a pretty specific question I didn't see an answer to.

I'm looking to buy a watch for my type 1 diabetic lady. She's got a dexcom g6, which has full comparability with our Android phones. She's currently running a Samsung S20. I've done a bunch of basic google research and see nothing but contrary opinions on the best for what she needs. She's also very slight of build, so smaller watches are better. I've been looking at the 40mm Galaxy fit 2.

I know it's kind of a reach, but if anyone here has experience with t1d, Android, dexcoms, and watches, I'd appreciate the hell out of any recommendations.

Edit: lte totally not needed, she'll be near enough to her phone most of the time, and this is pretty much just for blood sugar alerts.

I am a small wrist having person with T1 and a G6, so here’s what I know.

You’re probably going to want to pick up a Fitbit Versa/Sense compatible with the Glance watch face , which is what I used mostly when I was on Android. There is the ability to use it with Dexcom Share, which is the fastest data source in my experience. Fitbits don’t have great build quality, but are smaller and have nice color screens, and being owned by Google may eventually help them integrate into Android for notifications and controls? I never got audio controls working when I used it two years ago, maybe they fixed that.

If you pony up for a Garmin, you could use the NightscoutWatch2 watch face, but Garmin devices seem larger than the Fitbit devices, but will probably last longer. Some of the more expensive Garmins (maybe a Venu? Venu Sq?) might be okay? I used a Vivoactive 3 and was fine, but guys can get away with bigger watches. I thought it was a worse smart watch and better fitness watch than my Versa 2. Dexcom launched some sort of official data source for Garmin devices recently, but it’s for Vivoactive 4 and up, so I can’t comment on how it works.

I will say that I occasionally had to gently caress with the Fitbit app to force Glance to sync. I don’t recall doing that as much with the Garmin. It might have had to do with the crap Bluetooth on the Pixel 3 I used for the Fitbit.

I’m not aware of any Tizen/Samsung Dexcom apps/watch faces to scrape Dexcom data. I sure there are some, but that is a weird corner of wearables that I never looked into. With it being effectively dead platform, I can’t recommend you waste time or money on it.

Honestly, I also wouldn’t bother going for an official Wear OS device right now because Dexcom loving sucks at official Android support, and they don’t pretend not to. You’re almost certainly going to be better off with community developed solutions for Fitbit or Garmin.

As for me, I’ve moved to the (kinda flaky, but official) iOS/Apple Watch integration for myself these days. Having to delay OS updates to use the official app, or using the hacked Reddit version of the Dexcom app to remove the OS check along with the lovely Bluetooth of my Pixel 3, or terrible battery life of my Pixel 4 was too much hassle. Dexcom views iOS as their primary platform from what I can tell, and the Apple Watch benefits from that.

I wish you luck.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Kupo! posted:

I am a small wrist having person with T1 and a G6, so here’s what I know.

You’re probably going to want to pick up a Fitbit Versa/Sense compatible with the Glance watch face , which is what I used mostly when I was on Android. There is the ability to use it with Dexcom Share, which is the fastest data source in my experience. Fitbits don’t have great build quality, but are smaller and have nice color screens, and being owned by Google may eventually help them integrate into Android for notifications and controls? I never got audio controls working when I used it two years ago, maybe they fixed that.

If you pony up for a Garmin, you could use the NightscoutWatch2 watch face, but Garmin devices seem larger than the Fitbit devices, but will probably last longer. Some of the more expensive Garmins (maybe a Venu? Venu Sq?) might be okay? I used a Vivoactive 3 and was fine, but guys can get away with bigger watches. I thought it was a worse smart watch and better fitness watch than my Versa 2. Dexcom launched some sort of official data source for Garmin devices recently, but it’s for Vivoactive 4 and up, so I can’t comment on how it works.

I will say that I occasionally had to gently caress with the Fitbit app to force Glance to sync. I don’t recall doing that as much with the Garmin. It might have had to do with the crap Bluetooth on the Pixel 3 I used for the Fitbit.

I’m not aware of any Tizen/Samsung Dexcom apps/watch faces to scrape Dexcom data. I sure there are some, but that is a weird corner of wearables that I never looked into. With it being effectively dead platform, I can’t recommend you waste time or money on it.

Honestly, I also wouldn’t bother going for an official Wear OS device right now because Dexcom loving sucks at official Android support, and they don’t pretend not to. You’re almost certainly going to be better off with community developed solutions for Fitbit or Garmin.

As for me, I’ve moved to the (kinda flaky, but official) iOS/Apple Watch integration for myself these days. Having to delay OS updates to use the official app, or using the hacked Reddit version of the Dexcom app to remove the OS check along with the lovely Bluetooth of my Pixel 3, or terrible battery life of my Pixel 4 was too much hassle. Dexcom views iOS as their primary platform from what I can tell, and the Apple Watch benefits from that.

I wish you luck.

That's all super informative, thank you!

It just seems like such a simple thing for integration and a huge market being left out. I've heard the G7 is going to be directly android compatible, something about working directly with Alphabet on the os or something, so hopefully this gets better in the future. Appreciate your response, at least you've given me a direction to focus my further research.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
How flexible is the Withings hybrid notification dot?

The current Scan Watch with the big black dial and glow hands is what they're looking at, but I don't know where to tell someone to go for checking one out.

Kupo!
Sep 14, 2009

Just follow me through this wall, I can show you things
no mortal eyes were meant
to see.

Roundup Ready posted:

That's all super informative, thank you!

It just seems like such a simple thing for integration and a huge market being left out. I've heard the G7 is going to be directly android compatible, something about working directly with Alphabet on the os or something, so hopefully this gets better in the future. Appreciate your response, at least you've given me a direction to focus my further research.

I just remembered: there is official Garmin support from Dexcom now, so that may tempt you. I got a random email about it literally last month. I can’t test it because it needs a newer watch than I have, but here’s their info page: https://www.garmin.com/en-US/dexcom-ciq/

Interestingly, Dexcom promised Fitbit integration years ago. Where is it now? :iiam:

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

sweart gliwere posted:

How flexible is the Withings hybrid notification dot?

The current Scan Watch with the big black dial and glow hands is what they're looking at, but I don't know where to tell someone to go for checking one out.

What do you mean by flexible?

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Origami Dali posted:

What do you mean by flexible?

I'm assuming the size and PMOLED nature of its smart dot would limit your ability to read a text thread or get more than an icon/title combo for non-essential app notifications.

Is the scrolling just way smoother than my assumption, or do they have really precise icons, or some zooming trick I didn't imagine etc?

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Is there a simple wristband based heart rate sensor that doesn't require you to connect it to the internet and just constantly displays your heart rate? Or should I just get something like a Polar H9 chest band heart rate monitor and connect it to the gym cardio equipment or my phone to read out my heart rate?

Garmin & Fitbit's wrist heart rate monitors seem kind of more complicated than what I'd really be interested in. I'm pretty uninterested in using the device outside of cardio exercise.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Uthor posted:

My Fitbit Inspire HR just stopped working after 2+ years, so I got a Garmin vívosmart 4 as a replacement. I haven't used it exercising, yet, but I don't think I like it much day-to-day?

More griping about this. Decided to check my sleep history and I've been getting 8 hours of sleep every night with a consistent bedtime! That includes the day I had a late Zoom chat with friends and went to bed 30 minutes later than it recorded. That includes when I saw The Matrix and wasn't even in my house until 1.5 hours after it said I went to bed. That includes Xmas morning when the dog woke me up at 2:30 am and I couldn't fall back asleep for like 3 hours after (recorded me as sleeping).

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
Garmin just released the Instinct 2 but I honestly cannot tell the difference between it and the Instinct 1.

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/775421

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So I’m going to go off script and ask about under-mattress sleep trackers in the wearables thread, mainly because I don’t THINK there’s a better place and the audience MAY be similar. If push comes to shove I’ll feign ignorance and say I was considering a wearable sleep tracker all along :smug: I’m not… I don’t want to wear a watch to bed :(

I’m thinking about getting the Withings under mattress sleep tracker just to start keeping tabs on my sleep cycles. $100-something doesn’t feel terribly outrageous on this little experiment.

My question though, is mainly around folks who use these to track their sleep in a household with pets. My dog sleeps on my bed (and in my regular spot, specifically) and obviously does dog sleep things while I’m working during the day. Now this sounds like a ridiculous question but… Is the system smart enough to know that this isn’t me? The whole thing will be pointless if the app or tracker is like “yeah you sleep like 18 hours a day but you toss and turn a lot”

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Martytoof posted:

So I’m going to go off script and ask about under-mattress sleep trackers in the wearables thread, mainly because I don’t THINK there’s a better place and the audience MAY be similar. If push comes to shove I’ll feign ignorance and say I was considering a wearable sleep tracker all along :smug: I’m not… I don’t want to wear a watch to bed :(

I’m thinking about getting the Withings under mattress sleep tracker just to start keeping tabs on my sleep cycles. $100-something doesn’t feel terribly outrageous on this little experiment.

My question though, is mainly around folks who use these to track their sleep in a household with pets. My dog sleeps on my bed (and in my regular spot, specifically) and obviously does dog sleep things while I’m working during the day. Now this sounds like a ridiculous question but… Is the system smart enough to know that this isn’t me? The whole thing will be pointless if the app or tracker is like “yeah you sleep like 18 hours a day but you toss and turn a lot”

You need to calibrate the sensor with you on the bed to register your user so, unless your dog weighs as much as you do, you won't get false readings cause of that.

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

I'm with you on not wearing the watch to bed. Our Beautyrest mattress came with a "free" sensor kit https://www.amazon.com/Beautyrest-Sleeptracker-Monitor-Wearable-Free-Intuitive/dp/B06VXH15YC that works well enough to track our sleep patterns. Although if a kid kicks me out of bed it will monitor their vitals and not realize an adult left.

I don't understand why these mattress sensors aren't more popular than wearing a watch. While we haven't subscribed to any analytics and the Sleeptracker website is now SEO garbage under new ownership, the things continue to work well enough and sync to our phones.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Picked up the Withings Sleep and just reporting back that, as mentioned, it doesn't seem to be triggered by the dog, though I'm not certain exactly how sensitive it will be in all situations given only part of my bodyweight is directly over top of it, and even if it's attempting to compensate by calibrating for the weight of the mattress I can still see edge cases where it could be fooled. Or maybe it's way better at this than I give it credit for, but either way it looks like it fits my needs.

And yeah, watch tracking might work for some people but I just can't stand the feeling of wearing a watch to bed. It gets caught if I shove my arm under my pillow as I do sometimes, etc. Apple's strategy of my watch being my sleep tracker AND my daily fitness tracker is really weird because technically if I want it tracking my daily metadata AND my sleep I have to charge it while wearing :q: .. I'm being a bit facetioius because obviously it's not a rigid regimen but.. still weird.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
The only fitness tracker that i've found doing a good job on sleep tracking/all day use was my jawbone up, which did a better job by inertial movement than other hr equipped trackers(apple watch included). Shame they self destroyed after a few months, otherwise they would be perfect.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
I think all SleepNumber beds have sleep tracking, while I understand the tech I still think it is absolutely nuts that our bed can figure out our heart and breath rate though an air tube.

And honestly, I have found the sleep metrics helpful. Probably not as actionable as I can make it, but it is nice to know that it's not all in my head when I feel like garbage at work and have no idea why.

Also, the SleepNumber was worth every penny, I have no idea why people find them so divisive, we have never slept better in our lives.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I have one and it’s Ok? Main problem is that my SO and I have different numbers and she sleeps weird so sometimes the bed gets off centered.

Granted we only have the queen so maybe the king is a lot better.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

MarcusSA posted:

I have one and it’s Ok? Main problem is that my SO and I have different numbers and she sleeps weird so sometimes the bed gets off centered.

Granted we only have the queen so maybe the king is a lot better.

We have a king iLE, so yeah, things may differ significantly on other models.

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

Very basic questions as I consider getting a wearable: can you program a FitBit Charge 5 to vibrate if your heart rate falls below a certain threshold while exercising? I need nudges when I exercise and I’ve liked treadmills because your running speed is sort of forced upon you. I’m trying to replicate that experience outside. Does it have any other tricks along those lines?

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

I don't even know if this is the right thread, but my spouse just got a Garmin Venu 2S for running and fitness tracking. She has been using a FitBit clip-on device for steps and was excited about combining the functionality of that and the old Garmin running watch into a single device.

Problem is she spends all day at a treadmill desk, and to my surprise keeps her wrists stable enough to type that nearly no steps are recorded. She doesn't want to put the watch on her ankle or in a pocket because being able to see her data (steps, texts, emails, etc) while she works is an important part of why she got the device in the first place. Apparently Garmin doesn't support footpod data updating step counts outside of a tracked activity.

Does anyone know of a workaround for this short of buying an HRM Pro? She's not going to want to wear a chest HRM strap all day. Alternately, are there any fitness device manufacturers (e.g., Suunto) who do support footpod step data outside of a tracked activity? This seems like a very basic function to expect these days when WFH is so common, so I'm baffled that Garmin doesn't support it.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Xiaomi makes (or used to make because I had a pair) shoes with a built in tracker

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Shofixti posted:

Very basic questions as I consider getting a wearable: can you program a FitBit Charge 5 to vibrate if your heart rate falls below a certain threshold while exercising? I need nudges when I exercise and I’ve liked treadmills because your running speed is sort of forced upon you. I’m trying to replicate that experience outside. Does it have any other tricks along those lines?

Charge 5 pretty much does what you want automatically via its Zone notifications (Fat burn -> Cardio -> Peak)

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Anyone gotten their Ionic refund payment yet? I sent mine back about a month ago.

A MINIATURE LLAMA
Jul 30, 2009

IT'S SO TINY

Maneki Neko posted:

Anyone gotten their Ionic refund payment yet? I sent mine back about a month ago.

Check your spam email, IIRC it doesn't come from an @fitbit.com address and, by default, looks very shady.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Has Garmin stopped with the Vivoactive line? The 4 was released in 2019.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

FogHelmut posted:

Has Garmin stopped with the Vivoactive line? The 4 was released in 2019.

There was some rumory discussion about a new Vivoactive coming sometime in 2022 usually seems like every 2-3 years.

LikeFunOnlyBoring
Sep 3, 2008
So, I've been having some issues with my Fitbit Sense, I'm hoping this is the right place to ask.

All the words have disappeared. I've already searched for this problem on google, and only came up with the solution to restart it, which I also already have done. The only way I found to do a factory reset is to go into the settings on the watch, but seeing as how there are no words I'm not sure how to accomplish that once I'm in the settings tab.

I was hoping someone here might have a clue as to what is happening.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Any general fitness tracker recommendations for '22 or are things largely the same as last year? Looking for Father's Day gifts to replace an aging FitBit.

Not looking for anything super fancy, the primary wants are heart rate and step counter, with water resist being a plus. Should I just look up modern FitBit vs Garmin comparisons? Any phone integration would be Android if it matters.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Takes No Damage posted:

Any general fitness tracker recommendations for '22 or are things largely the same as last year? Looking for Father's Day gifts to replace an aging FitBit.

Not looking for anything super fancy, the primary wants are heart rate and step counter, with water resist being a plus. Should I just look up modern FitBit vs Garmin comparisons? Any phone integration would be Android if it matters.

I have a garmin forerunner 245 music and that does everything I need it to. The 255 just got released as well, so you can probably find a cheapy version. Its water resistant, lasts a week or so if you dont smash the gps, there is a version that does spotify playlists, and has custom watch faces so you can display whatever data you want it to.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Takes No Damage posted:

You might do well with the MiBand / Amazfit range - cheap, long battery life, waterproof. Reviews often criticise the GPS accuracy but they're otherwise very solid.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Takes No Damage posted:

Garmin vivoactive are a decent "non-sporty" user choice since they have big screens and are designed for normal people. Just avoid the 3 series if you still find it around.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

My Series 4 Apple Watch’s battery is down to 1-day battery life and I’m looking for a replacement.

I don’t use the fitness tracking, Siri, sleep tracking, or any apps.

I *do* use the notifications functionality. It’s quite literally the only reason I wear it. Using the lovely Apple-designed watch is it’s only other use because it occupies the space on my wrist.

I tried getting my Pebble Time Steel out of storage, but apparently Apple pulled the app from the store 8 months ago and I can’t use that.

Is there anything that just does notifications, works with iOS, and ideally, can be worn with a normal watch?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Horse Clocks posted:

My Series 4 Apple Watch’s battery is down to 1-day battery life and I’m looking for a replacement.

I don’t use the fitness tracking, Siri, sleep tracking, or any apps.

I *do* use the notifications functionality. It’s quite literally the only reason I wear it. Using the lovely Apple-designed watch is it’s only other use because it occupies the space on my wrist.

I tried getting my Pebble Time Steel out of storage, but apparently Apple pulled the app from the store 8 months ago and I can’t use that.

Is there anything that just does notifications, works with iOS, and ideally, can be worn with a normal watch?

There are several brands that offer bands with notification copy but keep in mind that you will experience lag and loss of functionality jumping away from the Apple watch family. Miband are a common replacement for "pebble like" functionality.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

SlowBloke posted:

Garmin vivoactive are a decent "non-sporty" user choice since they have big screens and are designed for normal people. Just avoid the 3 series if you still find it around.

They are. I got one, albeit with the smaller screen. I wouldn't call them non-sporty so much as accessible and useful for people who aren't hardcore athletes, which a lot of the other Garmins are clearly aimed at. It's a good watch, so so battery life (5 days), good tracking and customisation.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I've had a Vivoactive 3 for 3 years now and it tells time, displays notifications, records activities, has taken a physical beating, and the battery life is still pretty good. It was originally released in 2017 though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

FogHelmut posted:

I've had a Vivoactive 3 for 3 years now and it tells time, displays notifications, records activities, has taken a physical beating, and the battery life is still pretty good. It was originally released in 2017 though.

My avoid the vivoactive 3 suggestion is more for the lack of emoji in notification(minor) and the nickel backplate(major). The 4 and newer solve both issues.