Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Mantis42 posted:

The last real action movies are coming out of Southeast Asia.

E: did you just use "nominally" to mean normally?

yeah i'm a dumbass n bad at english.

also correct. The Raid movies owned and were super good, i should rewatch them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

vyelkin posted:

it has been one movie that has been out for like four days

this is the f-35 modernization program of pop culture

lol

lmao

it's only not doing well because MEN! hate WOMEN

Xaris has issued a correction as of 22:23 on Nov 9, 2021

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

vyelkin posted:

it has been one movie that has been out for like four days

Every state in our country has a factory producing parts needed to build a Kingo.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
lady ghostbusters discourse is back on the menu boys. awooga. 2016 is BACK

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Feldegast42 posted:

Why are the libs so loving insane about Eternals? I don't get it
Because it's a DC style cosmic spacegods that are way above humanity movie but done as a Marvel formula movie and they can't handle it also they are atheists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lfs40o-HQ8

Frog Act posted:

I recently watched the incredible and tense samurai film Harikiri (1962), a movie about ronin learning that feudal inequality is all consuming and that bushido is merely an illusion the elite use to justify their callousness and cowardly selfishness. one of the key points is the now impoverished ronin’s grandson dies since he can’t afford any medicine, which is why he demands to commit suicide in the forecourt of a prosperous clan, and the grandson’s name was Kingo and it really hosed this whole Kingo discourse up for me

Harikiri is extremely up this thread’s alley and it might be my favorite samurai movie ever for the wonderful way it undercuts myths about feudal honor and it’s willingness to explicitly attack the hypocrisy of the elite
Yeah Harakiri/Seppuku owns, especially the part where he's pointing out all the times he cut the hair of his rivals, which is supposed to be such a terrible ignominious defeat that they are supposed to commit suicide out of shame, only for them to go "oh I have tuberculosis, I gotta stay home for a while" while waiting for their hair to grow back.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
as i understand, cgi blood is much easier to work with on set because with squibs, you have to re-rig the squibs and change everybody out of their bloody costumes every time you do a new take. plus i think insurance costs more with squibs since you're setting little explosives off next to your actors and all that. they sure do look nice though

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

interesting that eternals outperformed other disney flicks this year in the opening days only to piss that advantage away over the weekend the implication is that no one actually believed the film critics when they said it was bad and had to be told it sucked by their friends in order to take the disrecommendation seriously which is very lolworthy

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Xaris posted:

lmao

i like how theyre all just forgetting that wonder woman and captain marvel happened i mean sure we misogynists would forget that but youd think people who tie the success of female directed superhero movies to real world social justice would find such counterintuitive data points to warrant further discussion

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 215 days!

Knight posted:

The real reason everyone goes to watch punchman movies: to cry. The audience, the cast, even the studio execs were crying. im cryning

Eternals is the most important movie of the 22nd century

Disney: It's just so inspiring for a women to be cast as a powerful hero and we have to milk that for all it's worth because it's the only reason we're doing it.

Me:

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Xaris posted:

lol

lmao

This poo poo is made by robots.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
who cares about reviews and review scores anymore. I don't know anyone who still respects them or thinks they indicate anything. every once in a while someone will talk about Roger Ebert

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I thought eternals was doing well at the box office?

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

i think it underperformed expectations

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
we will see if the word of mouth theory is correct by how much it drops on the second week. spiderman likely won't underperform, but i am hopeful that batman does and that this is the beginning of the end for these terrible movies. morbius comes out a month before batman and that will probably bomb.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Xaris posted:

lol

lmao

an entire ecosystem of coddling MCU superfans. The Snydercult took on hollywood sickos, won and were vindicated.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

vyelkin posted:

lol

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

The United States posted:

Because it's a DC style cosmic spacegods that are way above humanity movie but done as a Marvel formula movie and they can't handle it also they are atheists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lfs40o-HQ8

Yeah Harakiri/Seppuku owns, especially the part where he's pointing out all the times he cut the hair of his rivals, which is supposed to be such a terrible ignominious defeat that they are supposed to commit suicide out of shame, only for them to go "oh I have tuberculosis, I gotta stay home for a while" while waiting for their hair to grow back.

it’s so good. the subsequent coverup by the hypocritical clan leaders. the broader commentary on the perverse relationship between war and prosperity. the way it undercuts the genre’s prevailing regard for the samurai class by painting them as venal, small, dishonest and cruel, it all just works so well on a thematic level

even setting aside the abstract implications of the story and characters it’s just a loving great movie. the beginning is so tense and the twist is incredibly deft, and the cinematography draws out the tension in such a brutal way I couldn’t even finish it the first time I watched. also even though it fundamentally disdains violence, the violent acts are incredibly well filmed and demonstrate both the skill of the ronin and the ultimate futility (and irrelevance) of the martial skill everyone goes on about

Masaki Kobayashin is easily one of my favorite directors for that movie alone and I’m gonna start working my way through his filmography, Kwaidan is super famous too and I haven’t seen much Japanese horror from the 60s that isn’t goofy kaijus or super abstract ghost stuff

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I saw Jigoku at an all night horror movie marathon one year and thought that was pretty good

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Xaris posted:

lady ghostbusters discourse is back on the menu boys. awooga. 2016 is BACK

they are making a new one with the strangers thing main character

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
i don't really get how people can see and be annoyed by MCU superfans and then go and be the exact same type of annoying superfan, but for a different set of comic book movies instead

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Casey Finnigan posted:

i don't really get how people can see and be annoyed by MCU superfans and then go and be the exact same type of annoying superfan, but for a different set of comic book movies instead

People would get politically active but the political system broke.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Casey Finnigan posted:

only nineteen months until indiana jones 5

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I love my gay dad, Phastos

Enola Gay Dad

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

AnimeIsTrash posted:

man, I didn’t even like the Junior Ghostbusters the first time around

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Tankbuster posted:

an entire ecosystem of coddling MCU superfans. The Snydercult took on hollywood sickos, won and were vindicated.

won a one way ticket to netflixville

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Casey Finnigan posted:

snyder freaks or whatever poo poo are very stupid too, yes. but it's largely monolithic.

anyways i'm a john carpenter superfan. i get to stand tall and smug

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

AnimeIsTrash posted:

lol. good for them making those figgies

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Judakel posted:

i've never seen cgi blood look good

I'm pretty sure night comes for us used cgi blood and it looked great

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

mastershakeman posted:

I'm pretty sure night comes for us used cgi blood and it looked great

no it didnt

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

on the one hand there's the action director who lifts, on the other hand there's the multi-year output of the disney corporation. impossible to tell being a fan of these things apart.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
lifts mounds of dogshit and puts it onscreen

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Judakel posted:

i've never seen cgi blood look good

not only does it look like trash but it's piss easy to make gallons and gallons of fake blood out of completely harmless materials
and the way it incorporates into a scene works so much better viscerally to draw the viewer in

which is not to say there aren't places where I've seen fake blood used effectively (exclusively or in conjunction with practical effects) but it needs to be part of an overall stylistic choice rather than just a shortcut

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYYuyvyr2HY

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

not only does it look like trash but it's piss easy to make gallons and gallons of fake blood out of completely harmless materials
and the way it incorporates into a scene works so much better viscerally to draw the viewer in

which is not to say there aren't places where I've seen fake blood used effectively (exclusively or in conjunction with practical effects) but it needs to be part of an overall stylistic choice rather than just a shortcut

they're cost-cutting on insurance and union labor, mainly

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Xaris posted:

snyder freaks or whatever poo poo are very stupid too, yes. but it's largely monolithic.

anyways i'm a john carpenter superfan. i get to stand tall and smug
snyder freaks can handle the henotheistic cosmology of the snyder dc movies and eternals

john carpenter also makes movies about people with superpowers, it's just they're all villains

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

The United States posted:

snyder freaks can handle the henotheistic cosmology of the snyder dc movies and eternals

john carpenter also makes movies about people with superpowers, it's just they're all villains

well yeah superpowers are monstrous

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Judakel posted:

they're cost-cutting on insurance and union labor, mainly

I wouldn't have even considered that. That's lame. The extensive network of union work that is associated with giant productions is arguably one of the only non-terrible parts of the industry

to imagine the next Savini or Bottin could be smothered out of the industry because the producer wants save a buck

damned shame

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

josh04 posted:

on the one hand there's the action director who lifts, on the other hand there's the multi-year output of the disney corporation. impossible to tell being a fan of these things apart.

................................................................... why does it matter that a director lifts weights lol?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Judakel posted:

lifts mounds of dogshit and puts it onscreen

But enough about your posting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

MacheteZombie posted: