Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sakurazuka posted:

Blue Reflection 2 is 100% certified gay if anyone was wondering, no 'friends forever' trophies here.

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Blue Reflection 2 is 100% certified gay if anyone was wondering, no 'friends forever' trophies here.

meruru is 100% certified gay also.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Astria's Ascneding: Fruit War II

OK, I'm now beyond chapter X and all main classes are now unlocked. The story is still incredibly loopy, but first: Mechanics!

1.) Eko is: The White Mage

Nothing surprising here. Eko learns more healing skills and that's it.

2.) Kress in: The Dark Knight Returns

Was the Dark Knight ever truly gone? At this point it became obvious to me the devs didn't really know what to do with some characters. With some effort I found ways to put meaningful classes on the more gimmicky characters like Alassa (Summoner/Chronomancer) and Kaydin (Explorer/Alchemist) and the other five were mostly straightforward (Who in their right mind wouldn't make Dag Moar Wizard a Black Mage but instead make Alecsoldier the Soldier into one? Those aren't really choices.), but then there is Kress.

Kress gets only warrior-oriented melee choices, like Alec, and not even the attempt is made to fit the three available choices to her gimmick: Ulan gets three possible variations on her Paladin-theme, Kress gets one Paladin-light, one pure Warrior and well, Dark Knight.

As Dark Knight was the only class promising to keep gifting her skills close to her skillset, that's now what our favorite lizard gal got. Instead of using her normal swords she now swings the same loving gigantic two-hander Alec gets, because quite clearly all the good ideas went into other classes and by AA-logic "Paladin" means "huge axe or floating rocks" while melee is "sword".

Anyway, skill trees. The Dark Knight tree has some defensive-skills to resist damage better, but also a lot of sacrificial skills where you either sacrifice yourself or others for some gain. It's basically a dark mirror of the other Paladin-classes.

3.) The UI in: Warning, Collapse imminent!

And now the bad news: After going through multiple skill trees worth of skills, the skill selection in battle will slowly break. Again it seems the devs did not think things true or skimped on testing, because if you have characters with lots of skills, sooner or later the interface will stop being able to keep up. The most visible effect will be: You go down a growing list of skills, try to do something more than just selecting, e.g. using CP to power up your spell and oops, suddenly the skill list is blank.

It's scary at first until you notice the skills and all selections you made are still there, just invisible. Another obvious thing: As you have no option to re-group your skills, the game just basically dropping new skills in chronologically makes a huge mess. Dagmar now has fire skills at the very top, but also a bunch of new fire skills slapped in near the bottom, since the game does not recognize fire skills from two different trees as belonging together.

The choice of making the skill UI just this one long vertical menu turns out to not work very well after a certain threshold is reached! The end result is now I'm spending more time scrolling through my endless lists of skills then actually fighting a battle.

4.) AA Says: Sequence Breaking is Not Very Appreciated, Player

Another thing the devs did not really take into account is fast travel: As you can freely and at any time teleport between major landmarks, you actually can totally ignore the game telling you to go somewhere and teleport there directly. This is something the game really does not like, I have found. In one instance, I missed a boss fight the game put where it expected me to go and important NPCs at the place I was teleporting to just did not spawn. For a while I was running around confused, thinking I accidentally softlocked myself, until I left the place on foot and accidentally triggered the boss battle event coming from the wrong side. Devs, please! Just lock teleporting to plot-important areas if you want players to actually go there! :shepface:

5.) Translate, What?

I'm playing the German translation, and even here the game demands to be silly and weird at times. Sometimes a couple English words will suddenly show in a submenu somewhere, sometimes you ask yourself nonsensical questions like "is Harmony the same city as Harmony" because the translators suddenly used two different translations for the same thing. Then the translators growing despair at having to translate the game's ever more sillier words becomes apparent if you follow the story along. The bad fruit puns turn into bad German fruit puns and it all goes downhill from there.

By the way, did you know Aries is the Ram? I hope you have some knowledge about basic Astronomy/Astrology/Mega Man, because the game fully expects you to know both the Latin and plain old English/German names of all twelve Zodiacs. The writers like to use both interchangeably, is what I'm getting at. Virginis and Leo you may get from context, and Gemini is basic knowledge thanks to Capcom, but stuff like Aries may surprise you if you didn't pay attention in Astrology School.

6.) Classes are in School

Now we already started to amass some help classes, thanks to us having to beat up a Clown Golem at some point, and the game shows another sign that the devs may have written more checks than their creative bank accounts can cash: The game simply stops coming up with ever more poo poo to tack on your characters and instead a help class i just a diminished version of a main class. It's a neat way to get some skills you may have missed (Alassa got some additional healing to her time powers, for example) and the third skill tree you get is nicely simplified so you aren't going to be too confused, but there are also zero surprises.

At least the game spares you from having to change your main weapon and all of your equipment yet again, the new subclass is strictly just a helpful little add-on. And now I'm curious what the last step in unlocking classes will be, as you can't really get any lazier than this. Maybe I should give Alec Black Mage as subclass just for kicks?

After those very minor issues, the story, as always told in Obfuscation Mode so I don't have to spoiler everything:

The Story So Far

-After declaring war on the fruitloops, the loopy bastards struck back and are more annoying then ever
-There may be more than one faction of dumb bastards, it turns out. Our glorious group of dumbasses decides to go investigate the group centered around a flying city we can't actually reach. Perfect choice! Are we being bribed by the other faction of Bad McEvil Guys?
-We learn more about the villains' plans: Fruits = Bad, Conquest/Massdeath = Good. Yikes. Our guys basically go "We do not understand, this makes no sense" every time they interact with the fruitloops. :allears:

-At one point the game shoved in an entire martial arts contest arc in extremely compressed miniature format. At least it was short? I think the writers just wanted to make sure the player doesn't ignore these two very important game mechanics*.
-Due to a masterful decision to hunt the one faction we cannot physically reach, the story then grinds to a halt for a while while the demi-smart protagonists try to find a way to the last city on the map.
-We learn more about magic fruit then we will ever need.
-Alec manages to make the bad guys call themselves fruitloops, he is now my favorite character
-Alec thinks the owner of a fruit plantation may be evil because he doesn't like the fruit they're growing.
-Everyone just kind of ignores him, stupefied into silence by his logic. He is not my favorite character anymore.

-Kaydin rebuffs several attempts of evil birdmen to recruit her to their cause, by essentially just sighing and rolling her eyes. She is now my favorite character.
-After multiple dungeons, sleuthing in multiple cities, and multiple failed attempts to use our magic flying panther "Katana" to reach the flying city, we eventually pokevolve our flying magic animal into a more advanced form for better flying
-The Bad Guys are concerned the player may not realize their plan of "kill everyone, turn into God" shows properly how evil they are and a bunch of magic lions are slaughtered to no real purpose, really.
-At this point the devs decide hunting after dangerous chaos cults must be boring, so now you're suddenly playing R-Type.
-It's kind of fun, if you're into this kind of thing**
-We beat up a Clown Golem. Of course after landing we're still a billion miles from the target. Dungeon time!

*They are not important.
**I am, but are you?`

Conclusion for this session:

Game still good, but boy may I regret ever saying this if this continues. At one point I had to redo a bossfight because the game suddenly froze and did not want to resume even after 15 minutes of waiting. Nope, restart solved everything. The growing list of technical problems I'm encountering makes me think that either the game was rushed, or that something in the planning stages went horribly wrong. The story would seriously piss me off if the entire thing wasn't so completely bafflingly insane. Especially the part with the fruit war had me go "is it the 90s again, let me check my calendar"

if you don't know what the last sentence means, go play Breath of Fire II

Libluini fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Nov 9, 2021

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Oh so my skills just randomly disappearing in Astria Ascending wasn't just a weird "Barudak exclusive bug" along with stat upgrades not showing.

In Undernauts I think Tactician makes a neat off-tank, but like, you don't really need an off tank since Bulwark is two different kinds of main tank, including an off tank, and Ninja exists. I really like this system for classes and swapping, I just hope they make a couple more classes next go round and make concentration less bad feeling to interact with. I'm in the end game now and definitely feeling that I'm gonna go for all achievements in this game. Its nice and leisurely cheevos.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Barudak posted:

Oh so my skills just randomly disappearing in Astria Ascending wasn't just a weird "Barudak exclusive bug" along with stat upgrades not showing.

In Undernauts I think Tactician makes a neat off-tank, but like, you don't really need an off tank since Bulwark is two different kinds of main tank, including an off tank, and Ninja exists. I really like this system for classes and swapping, I just hope they make a couple more classes next go round and make concentration less bad feeling to interact with. I'm in the end game now and definitely feeling that I'm gonna go for all achievements in this game. Its nice and leisurely cheevos.

Shouldn't be too hard. I ended up getting all but two of the achievements just by playing naturally through the game and postgame, and the last two weren't a big grind.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Barudak posted:

The amazing thing is, both the skills and whatever you did before the glitch is still there and counted by the game, so after the first few seconds of surprise, you can just ignore this and power through.

The only equipment-related glitch I've found is in the shops only: Sometimes the shops will display the wrong stats, e.g. you're carrying a +40 axe and the shop has +50 and +60 axes, and the shop will try to tell you the better axes actually make your character worse. If there are more than one stat affected by a piece of equipment, sometimes one of them will be displayed wrong, sometimes both, sometimes both will be correct. Luckily the equipment menu works a lot better than the shops (who are so glitched, sometimes the "ka-ching"-sound just stops playing midbuy and never comes back) and you can just look at and equip stuff normally.

Overall it's also a good thing all shops after the first one will have at least two versions of each possible piece of equipment, so you an just compare stats in the shop. This allows you to realize when the game really does mean the equipment you're looking at is worse than the one you're carrying, and when it's just taking the piss. :v: (This is because the glitch isn't random: It just reverses +/- signs. And I tell you quite frankly, if you're just recovering from eye surgery this is a bitch rear end glitch to notice on a portable screen.)

Something about the story I forgot to mention because I can't really despoiler it by embellishing:

Our intrepid explorers of the nature of drug abuse learn that there are more than one chaos cult threatening the world the following way:

-Chaos cultists stab each other off-screen (The party: "Weird. Why are those chaos-worshipers so chaotic?")
-Both of them turn out to be the sons of various party members.
-The party decides this may be important and go investigate the still living one.
-The trace eventually leads the party to the outskirts of the capital city and an old, abandoned house.
-A secret pathway leads to an underground dungeon lair filled with monsters and confused soldiers
-At the very end the party finds one of those psycho-maps crazy people in movies often make, explaining the Bad Guy plan in great detail. Eventually our zeroes "get" what the chaos plan is (steal all summons, kill everyone, turn into god, rule over the ashes) and the player goes finally since they already knew this for hours
-After some time some of your party suddenly go "wait a minute, this huge creepy statue of a bird woman looks very familiar somehow" and everyone realizes that it's the statue of the bird woman involved in this, the chaos cultists apparently worship her as a god already!
-Since this is the exact same thing Leader Lizard from a couple chapters ago wanted (become god, bla bla bla), the party very slowly realizes that there must be more than one faction, and both of which are competing
-Ulan's brother is evil. I'm betting on it now.
-At this point the game goes back to it's favorite thing: Fruits. See my last post for the rest.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Nov 9, 2021

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

I immediately went to go check what burly bear men are in the game and I don't know why I thought I'd find any.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

I never even heard of Blue Reflection but maybe I'll check it out

Golden Goat posted:

I immediately went to go check what burly bear men are in the game and I don't know why I thought I'd find any.

Nevermind.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Well maybe Bastard Bonds 2 will exist some day.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

Well maybe Bastard Bonds 2 will exist some day.

Maybe it'll be good too

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

the creator of that was a really nasty 'gater back in its prime and has also gotten busted for being comedically racist (in that it's ridiculous how unabashedly awful he was to the point of it being kind of ludicrous it took people ages to catch on) like multiple times so hopefully not tbh

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Mix. posted:

the creator of that was a really nasty 'gater back in its prime and has also gotten busted for being comedically racist (in that it's ridiculous how unabashedly awful he was to the point of it being kind of ludicrous it took people ages to catch on) like multiple times so hopefully not tbh

Oh drat I didn't know that dude was such a poo poo.

E: Complete with #NotYourShield poo poo

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mix. posted:

oh lmao welp, gently caress that and go to hell, i hope a better bear game by a better person comes out

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Can we all just agree that Luciflower is an excellent and stupid pun?

Thank you Undernauts

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I've gotten through the first real dungeon heartscape of Blue Reflection 2 and it's been pretty good so far. "Relaxed" is what I would call the story and pacing, but fortunately, there are no other video games coming out in 2021 so I can take my time. I'm happy that they kept the best track from the first game as the main base music. Despite very clearly having a $20 budget, I think the dreamlike art direction and postprocessing effects really work in the game's favor, and it ends up looking pretty good on PC. The principal cast seems all right so far although Rena is quite obviously the best. The combat is quite easy and I haven't even come close to dying, but I'm not really expecting to be challenged by this game. Hopefully there's a way to shortcut the Sailor Moon transformations later on since those will get old fast. Bizarrely there are somehow instafail stealth missions in this 2021 JRPG, but nothing has been too egregiously terrible yet. The soundtrack is another banger. Nothing revolutionary here but the game's a vibe all its own.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There's an option for changing transformation types right from the start, to 'once per battle', once per exploration' or 'not at all'. It's the last option in the gameplay section I think.

After the introduction, the forced stealth stuff is only ever used in a couple of side quests, at least up to chapter 6 anyway.

My only disappointment with it so far is getting rid of the big kaiju fights from the first game but the story as is doesn't really support them so...

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Glad to hear it. I've got it installed and ready and waiting, and I'll pick it up as soon as I'm done with Caligula 2.

I played it pretty much all weekend, and every day I've woken up with a different Musician's song stuck in my head. I've got it bad.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Nov 9, 2021

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
No regrets.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Blue Reflection 1 was a game with decent ideas held back by being boring so if they took the same core and punched it up a bit I'm willing to believe it's a pretty good video game

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

If there's one weakness to the writing it's that it does the typical JRPG thing where it presents some concept that anybody could grasp just by looking at it, which the characters then spend the next 5 minutes explaining for the benefit of everybody who apparently skipped 100% of the dialogue up to this point. But I'm gonna let it slide because I'm in no particular rush.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Eh, better to underestimate your audience and leave a few people mildly irritated than to overestimate them and leave a bunch of people with no idea what's going on. And if there's one thing I've learned as a writer of anything whatsoever, it's that there's always going to be something you thought was self-explanatory that other people don't get

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i like how the anime said 'feelings' so much that it almost seemed self-aware. here is an actual summary of the second half of the anime, posted to the official twitter:

quote:

The ten girls, each drawn with their own 'feelings.' Girls surrounded by beautiful flowers, reflecting their 'feelings,' against the backdrop of a clear night sky... Can Hiori's hand save everyone's 'feelings?' The story that connects everyone's 'feelings' is finally in its second half.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Some anime characters turned up in BR2 so I'm back to watching the anime.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Man I hate to break this to you but I think they're all pretty dang anime.

Edit: kidding, ofc. Anyway I've heard that that Yoko Taro production is pretty good, constrained in scope and length, with maybe an encounter rate that's too high. Sound about right?igbt be the next RPG I give a go at.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
it's cute, the fifth party member is perhaps the dumbest of all and i like the pun between his role and design

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

My wish for the harem stuff in BR2 is either it wasn't there at all or they went all in and actually let me pick someone to romance, instead of just half arsing it into being a friendship gauge but you occasionally get to hold hands once you max it out.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
a hand-holding gauge...

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Sakurazuka posted:

My wish for the harem stuff in BR2 is either it wasn't there at all or they went all in and actually let me pick someone to romance, instead of just half arsing it into being a friendship gauge but you occasionally get to hold hands once you max it out.

"Those who cannot conceive Friendship as a substantive love but only as a disguise or elaboration of Eros betray the fact that they have never had a Friend."
-C.S. Lewis

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Sakurazuka posted:

wouldn't actually going all out be letting you romance all of them at once and not picking just one...

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

if you can't commit then it's not romance, just fooling around

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the big poly lobby in washington will likely take issue with that statement

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

polycules are still a type of commitment

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Only if it ends in me getting beaten up at the Christmas party

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Hwurmp posted:

polycules are still a type of commitment

then what was the point of saying what you said a post before. . .

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
hate the final dungeon of digital devil saga so much

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I never got the hate tbh. It's pretty chill.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
well either pcsx2 has some strange issue that was introduced and went unreported in the last ten years or my iso of digital devil saga is broken because it 100%, consistently, without fail, every single time, black screens after the cutscene leading into the final boss and no setting, no graphical plugin, no bugfix, no anything i change fixes it. fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Have you tried setting it to software rendering?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i just said i tried literally everything. it is not a rendering problem. software may fix the transparent walls hardware mode incorrectly renders but it sure does not fix the game flat out not loading anything past the scene with sera and the lady i still do not know the name of and will never know cause the game does not load past her introduction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Libluini posted:

By the way, did you know Aries is the Ram? I hope you have some knowledge about basic Astronomy/Astrology/Mega Man, because the game fully expects you to know both the Latin and plain old English/German names of all twelve Zodiacs. The writers like to use both interchangeably, is what I'm getting at. Virginis and Leo you may get from context, and Gemini is basic knowledge thanks to Capcom, but stuff like Aries may surprise you if you didn't pay attention in Astrology School.

As someone who has a mom this feels like a weird complaint to me but I’ll bite. What is the German name for Aries? And also what do you think is the distinction between english names and latin names of zodiac signs