Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/HannaLiubakova/status/1457620928616140805

How accurate is this thread? Is this footage from today?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Seems like something to that effect really is happening.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Yes, it’s from today. They bussed in several hundred people, concertina wire and riot police. There’s the main group on the border crossing and several smaller groups breaching the border through the forests. This will end in tears for everyone involved - the Polish government had shown it’s more than happy to dance to Luka’s fiddle.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Lots of tweets with videos linked in this article: https://www.welt.de/politik/ausland/article234909996/Belarus-Bilder-wie-2015-Migranten-auf-dem-Weg-zur-Grenze.html

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

In more Poland news, another ECJ judgement against the Polish government.

https://www.politico.eu/article/poland-judicial-independence-european-court-human-rights-rapid-action/

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

TearsOfPirates posted:

The Slovenian prime minister has decided to put grave flowers onto the grave of people who have decided to give their life dedicated to Nazi Germany on the 1st of November and not to the people who defended the country (the communists).

Dude, I know that you hate the communists, but come on.

https://twitter.com/JJansaSDS/status/1455268943187296259

Don't do this.

"Look it's either USA or Russia at this point, no third party possible"

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
There is only one party in Russia

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/jsrailton/status/1457724336836595716

Belarus gets the best people.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
lol.

do you think they put him up in the Lee Harvey Oswald apartment

Nitrox posted:

There is only one party in Russia

whoa now, the green anarchy cat party would like a word

Qtotonibudinibudet fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Nov 10, 2021

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
A client wished us a „happy independence day” and I’ve never felt the cultural gap between this country and the west more than while reading those words

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

At least someone makes them uncomfortable, dont do this

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
Future is looking increasingly bleak with current gas prices and this immigration crisis. The former would be used to blackmail western Europe, whose politicians have failed to so far invest into renewables and/or nuclear, the latter will be stuck expending manpower and money to keep illegal immigration at bay. I'm certainly not looking forward to getting conscripted.

And then there's also a pandemic to contend with.

e: but not nowhere near as bleak as for those illegal immigrants, who might actually get shot by Belarusian troops (my opinion) if they tried to go back. And winter is almost here.

jonnypeh fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Nov 11, 2021

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Starting Monday we’re effectively banning from buildings larger than 1500 sqm people without a certificate proving vaccine or natural immunity. Even if that is just a food supermarket. Frankly, I didn’t believe they’ll have the balls to do that - going to be interesting to see how the population feels by Wednesday.

In terms of gas though, I think that’s a temporary problem. France is already looking to build more nuclear plants, and I wouldn’t otherwise write improved energetic self-sufficiency off despite U.K. leaving the EU (they are pro-nuclear as well, and could 2v1 Germany with France’s help).

The Belarus crisis, however, looks increasingly bleak, and it this point the best I can hope is that Polish and Belarus commandos won’t end up waging guerrilla warfare amidst the freezing Middle Easterners.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Why are EU greens so dumb? I literally saw a euronews piece about a year ago celebrating France shutting down 6 nuke plants. My reaction was, what good did that do exactly? They are carbon neutral

As for Belarus, these kinds of actions lead to previous year revolt in the first place, we are heading full stop into the abyss.

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Nov 11, 2021

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sekenr posted:

Why are EU greens so dumb? I literally saw a euronews piece about a year ago celebrating France shutting down 6 nuke plants. My reaction was, what good did that do exactly? They are carbon neutral

German greens are religiously anti-nuclear, which one of the reasons why the “green taxonomy” of energy sector investments has been delayed - they’re trying to mark nuclear red without enraging the French, while at the same time establishing “green natural gas”. Some of their arguments make sense, in particular the concerns about nuclear waste disposal or transition funding, but a fair number of them, and majority of anti-nuclear energy folklore otherwise, is based around illogical assumptions that that Chernobyl or Fukushima represent state of art nuclear plant engineering. At least it has been a while since I’ve seen someone earnestly bring up the mortality stats.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Starting Monday we’re effectively banning from buildings larger than 1500 sqm people without a certificate proving vaccine or natural immunity. Even if that is just a food supermarket. Frankly, I didn’t believe they’ll have the balls to do that - going to be interesting to see how the population feels by Wednesday.

In terms of gas though, I think that’s a temporary problem. France is already looking to build more nuclear plants, and I wouldn’t otherwise write improved energetic self-sufficiency off despite U.K. leaving the EU (they are pro-nuclear as well, and could 2v1 Germany with France’s help).

The Belarus crisis, however, looks increasingly bleak, and it this point the best I can hope is that Polish and Belarus commandos won’t end up waging guerrilla warfare amidst the freezing Middle Easterners.

Closing off grocery stores would be a ballsy move. I only have a handful of LV friends online but over half of them (admittedly >35 and ethnic RU, for what it's worth) have been reposting anti-vax quotes and photos almost incessantly since May.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

Closing off grocery stores would be a ballsy move. I only have a handful of LV friends online but over half of them (admittedly >35 and ethnic RU, for what it's worth) have been reposting anti-vax quotes and photos almost incessantly since May.

That’s like the prime demographic for Latvian vaccination resistance, primary language split being especially measurable. However, the truth there is simple and quite sad - our government took a year to step down from formal (“high”) Latvian in their pandemic communications, and is still merely debating whether if Russian speakers with weaker education deserve to receive any information at all in the language they know best. And so they’ve had to make by with what they have - bitter compatriots, half a dozen overworked journalists writing in Russian, and the whole propaganda apparata of Russia and Belarus. It has gotten so bad here over the course of two years that I have even had seen Joe Rogan podcast episode touted about as an advisory.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Thank Ukko that the fifth Finnish nuke reactor should finally start pumping electricity into our saunas next year, it's going to be only 12 years late from the plan! Thanks Areva! :france:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olkiluoto_Nuclear_Power_Plant#Unit_3

So Lukashenka made a thinly veiled threat "what do you suppose would happen if we cut their gas supply?" which was quickly denied by Moscow, where the message was that this was just Batka talking loosely by himself and Russia can be relied on.

I don't actually doubt Russia's word on this, energy sector is what keeps Russia running and cutting the gas would be like mutual assured destruction - good to have as an insurance in case everything goes to hell, but not something that you want to use if you can avoid it because it's one helluva escalation. What I do wonder though is if Lukashenka's act was really planned by Moscow anyway, though - Germany hasn't accepted the Nordstream 2 pipe into use yet but the threat of Belarus cutting their pipeline could speed things up at Bundestag?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Same thoughts, I wonder if this is a 5D Nordstream 2 push.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
According to Gascade there are pretty big jumps lately in the volume of gas supplied through the Yamal-Europe pipeline. Today, for example, it plunged 40%. The same happened a couple of weeks ago, and the explanation from Gazprom was that it was by request of one of their customers.

https://tass.com/economy/1343607

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
Big Atlantic article primarily about Belarus.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Poland truly is built out of poo poo and sticks - President of the National Bank decided to urgently release a commemorative coin/bill depicting the migrant crisis on Belarus border.

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo
just... why? :psyduck:

szary
Mar 12, 2014
That's an understatement, it's actually a coin/bill commemorating the (Heroic) Defense of the Eastern Polish Border :poland:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Why didn't you ingest eastern Poland ?

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Osmosisch posted:

Big Atlantic article primarily about Belarus.

It's a good read, if only it really was primarily about Belarus. :smith:

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
All the attention on a troop buildup on the Ukrainian border still doesnt make much sense. The most aggressive claims are around 100k troops, still half of the size of the Ukrainian army. I don't know if Zelensky is brining attention too it now or if its based on actual activity.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Vasukhani posted:

All the attention on a troop buildup on the Ukrainian border still doesnt make much sense. The most aggressive claims are around 100k troops, still half of the size of the Ukrainian army. I don't know if Zelensky is brining attention too it now or if its based on actual activity.

I would say both armies are lacking in the experience department however Russian airpower on it's worst day is far better than Ukraine's in sheer size. And that in itself is enough to cause a crisis on the ukrainian defense. You can't expect conscripts to pull a Sabaton 40:1. However they will definitely be baptized in machine gun fire.

This is however without joke another Russian vacation on the border and just like any Russian vacation a load of bored slacks men will be sitting on a foreign border doing nothing but drawing swastikas and jerking off.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Polish border guards apparently using water cannons, that's a yikes with the current weather

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

News are reporting that the people stuck on the Polish-Belarus border were throwing stun grenades at Polish border guards, which sounds like nonsense to me. Has anyone seen a video of that actually happening?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

News are reporting that the people stuck on the Polish-Belarus border were throwing stun grenades at Polish border guards, which sounds like nonsense to me. Has anyone seen a video of that actually happening?

Polish border guards were also using flash grenades, so it might be one of them that didn't work. However, some say it's a Czech grenade, the same as the ones that were used in Belarus by the police during protests. Not clear if Poland also uses them.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I don’t think anyone’s questioning stun grenade usage, or that a subset of the overall group, mostly young men, is being edged on and armed by Belorussians. While Polish state propaganda is playing the “ungrateful savages” card, it’s clear many Kurds don’t understand what they signed up for and why they’re not being let in with their families, considering sums of up to 30.000 USD changed hands.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I would say both armies are lacking in the experience department however Russian airpower on it's worst day is far better than Ukraine's in sheer size. And that in itself is enough to cause a crisis on the ukrainian defense. You can't expect conscripts to pull a Sabaton 40:1. However they will definitely be baptized in machine gun fire.

how quickly we forget the valiant cyborg troops of the Donetsk airport :(

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Vasukhani posted:

The CIA director went to Moscow and Johnson and Macron released public statements warning Russia not to attack Ukraine, which is something they wouldn't do as a favor to Zelensky, this is probably because their intelligence is telling them Russia is planning something -- and probably using the refugee crisis as a distraction.

Though it is absolutely hilarious if it's all because grandpa has been sitting inside the bunker for too long and watching his own propaganda channel "scream about Ukraine for an hour" shows and is now ready to invade Ukraine to save them from russophobic NATO lapdog homonazis

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
A small scale mobilization in Estonia. Some exercises, patrolling the border and laying barbed wire. I'm not invited.

That article by Anne Applebaum was great. How well we're going to weather the storm depends a lot on how well Biden is going to succeed domestically lest the orange man returns. And I'm not seeing that going well.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

https://meduza.io/en/feature/2021/11/16/trust-fall

quote:

Thus, rather than promoting vaccination by imposing a single policy from above, proposals are being gathered from the regions and coordinated, explained a Meduza source close to the Presidential Administration. In particular, he said, there’s a desire for “grassroots” proposals that seem “eccentric.”

To give examples, Meduza’s source pointed to authorities in the Khabarovsk territory raffling off three tons of coal to vaccinated residents

HELL YEAH THREE TONS OF COAL

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Congratulations on your win! You weren't home, so we left it on your door step.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Isn't that how it works? And then you shovel it down the coal chute?

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
https://www.bellingcat.com/news/uk-and-europe/2021/11/17/inside-wagnergate-ukraines-brazen-sting-operation-to-snare-russian-mercenaries/

That's a nice summary of Ukrainian operation to entrap Russian mercenaries. Unlucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

That seems ill-advised, seems like the Russians might've decided the have to do something to get their guys back