Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.

snugglz posted:

I’m kinda speechless.

That's an incredible gift - it would be super easy to insert a crass joke, but I'm not going to.

I'd go thru that and find the most well used item in there, something with character, go get it framed up in a shadow box and give it back to your friend as a memento.

Advent Horizon posted:

Unf. They were out of red when I bought and I had a time crunch. I love that.

Sorry about your back :(

It's super sexy - the wife even commented that we should try to find that powdercoat finish to do something fun for our son - like get his wagon coated to match..

and thanks - I'm finally feeling a bit better like I can move - about 8 months ago I got diagnosed with a pinched nerve, I guess it flared back up, the interval of this one was a bit less and I didn't have those jolting spasms like last time - guess I'm learning to cope.

LobsterboyX fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Nov 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

FasterThanLight posted:

SK Tools makes a ratcheting 6 point wrench. They're a bit expensive, but everything I have from SK has been excellent. Been tempted to grab some in more common sizes.

hell yeah. SK was making Craftsman Professional series wrenches before they switched to chinese poo poo. My set from the mid 90's looks brand new.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Any strong feelings on ramps? It looks like Harbor Freight has two options: Steel, 6500lbs or Plastic; 13,000lbs.

I believe the last time I bought a set (lost long ago in a move) they were RhinoRamps (Plastic, 12,000lbs) which ... were fine?

I think I'd rather have the extra capacity and I probably trust the stability of the plastic ones (whether HF or RR) more, but the ability to stack and save some space on the steel ones look nice as well.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

The Rhinos stack together, at least the ones I have do.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
anyone have a honda k-series valve adjustment tool? there's like 12 brands all selling the same loving tool but it's gone from an 8 dollar tool to 25 which is stupid. anyone willing to loan one to me and i'll mail back when done?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

BraveUlysses posted:

anyone have a honda k-series valve adjustment tool? there's like 12 brands all selling the same loving tool but it's gone from an 8 dollar tool to 25 which is stupid. anyone willing to loan one to me and i'll mail back when done?

Which one? If it's the 10mm socket with screwdriver, I've got one you can have. I bought it, used it on my Fit once, and never touched it again.

Alltrade 648827 10mm 7-1/2-Inch Jam Nut Valve Adjustment Tool https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002Q8TU0/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_CY1PANS3XMJBWX01QMMF?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
That's what I've got.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Does anyone have a recommended toolset for doing an alignment? I feel like it shouldn't be too horribly complicated, a digital level should do for camber, caster I can't do anything about either way but should be measurable from the strut body itself (this is probably wrong), and I'm not sure what to do about toe but it seems like it should be simple enough. I know the string thing for making sure both wheels on a side are in alignment but I'm not sure about making sure the right and left are in alignment.

I'm not worried about race-quality perfection, just being able to get it within spec per the FSM. Since I've moved to a small town taking the car to the shop to get stuff fixed has become more of a pain because it requires scheduling out weeks in advance and getting a ride since there's not really such a thing as uber/lyft/traditional taxis, so I'd rather just do it myself if I can.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

I'm in a similar situation and have even been considering a tire machine. But for alignment I'm looking at paco motor sports hub stands about $1k

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I bought my own mounting and balancing machines as cast off equipment from local repair shops. I've got... 550 bucks into the pair I think. No regrets.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

If I had a place to put them, I'd absolutely do the same. But my garage is full and they'd have to be outside.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Has Harbor Freight pretty much stopped issuing coupons? I bought the portable media blaster the other day and I couldn't find any coupons for the blaster or any of the media. And almost all the media was sold out.

I got the portable media blaster and a 50 pound ($48) bag of soda, it didn't work for my application (taking paint off alloy wheels), so I got some fine coal slag at Tractor Supply. It was about $10 per bag and did the job.

I'm thinking about getting the Bauer dual action polisher and the demo SDS, but I can't find coupons for those either.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
More or less, they still offer a single item coupon on holiday weekends and stuff, but they've moved onto the "every day savings" model which basically puts them on part with lower mid grade stuff like craftsman.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

No more always available 20% coupon? That's how you know inflation is hitting

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
They stopped doing coupons quite a while ago now I thought?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Yea it was last week? Or was it a decade ago? Who the gently caress is messing with the time thermostat?

IIRC its been a couple of years now.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

They mostly seem to do 30% OFF!!!!a single item under $10 now, so yeah, meaningful coupons have definitely been gone for awhile.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

drat, how did I miss that

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I see posts as early as 2019 complaining about coupons getting harder to find but it looks like they started phasing out the big coupons end of last year.

I've been watching them slowly move their tools from the main Chicago brand to like 20 different captive "brands" and those brands are all specifically excluded from the coupons for quite a while. I basically gave up on the coupons years ago because of that.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Does anyone have a recommended toolset for doing an alignment? I feel like it shouldn't be too horribly complicated, a digital level should do for camber, caster I can't do anything about either way but should be measurable from the strut body itself (this is probably wrong), and I'm not sure what to do about toe but it seems like it should be simple enough. I know the string thing for making sure both wheels on a side are in alignment but I'm not sure about making sure the right and left are in alignment.

I'm not worried about race-quality perfection, just being able to get it within spec per the FSM. Since I've moved to a small town taking the car to the shop to get stuff fixed has become more of a pain because it requires scheduling out weeks in advance and getting a ride since there's not really such a thing as uber/lyft/traditional taxis, so I'd rather just do it myself if I can.

If you do a string gauge the full length of the car you'll start by tweaking in the strings relative to the center of the wheels or hubs (provided the width front to rear is the same). This makes your toe measurements at each corner relative to the chassis so it won't crab.

Toe plates are the one that get front and and rear in spec but messed up relative to each other.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

So basically all I would need is a digital level, a nice long piece of paracord, something to attach it to, and maybe something to put under the tires so you can fine-tune the toe more easily without jacking up the car? I am in a situation where whatever I get has to fit in a tiny shed area and be hauled out into the driveway and back so size is a factor. Especially since I frequently end up taking my cars over to a friend's garage because it's a garage rather than a driveway and it snows a lot here.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

So basically all I would need is a digital level, a nice long piece of paracord, something to attach it to, and maybe something to put under the tires so you can fine-tune the toe more easily without jacking up the car? I am in a situation where whatever I get has to fit in a tiny shed area and be hauled out into the driveway and back so size is a factor. Especially since I frequently end up taking my cars over to a friend's garage because it's a garage rather than a driveway and it snows a lot here.

Alignments need to be done with the weight on the car's suspension, so something slippery that allows the wheels to move easily.
No personal experience, but I've *heard* that two pieces of plastic cut out of an old windshield wsher fluid jug, with some liquid soap sandwiched between them works pretty good.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

I've *heard* that two pieces of plastic cut out of an old windshield wsher fluid jug, with some liquid soap sandwiched between them works pretty good.

Can confirm....have used milk jugs and car soap. It's not great, but it's something.

I don't do it enough to get anything specific, because I just need things on enough to make it 2-ish miles to the tire/alignment shop.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Black trash bags work well as turn plates.

I've used a cheap aluminum box level for camber. Drill and tap some holes for set screws and use some geometry to figure where to set them. The bubble's centered when the camber's right.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
We stacked up linoleum tiles to get a level surface (and then had fancy slip plates and scales). Then used a laser string deal, which set up on the rear wheels. So we set rear toe first to make the lines parallel to each other and the hubs, then used those lines for front toe.

Personally I plan to make my own set of laser strings that use a hanging setup like regular strings but then project a laser plane forward so that I'm not basing the alignment off the position of the rear hubs.

I replaced the struts on my sister's car a few years ago when I was in canada and had basically no tools with me and aligned it with toe plates I made of plywood and test driving. I wonder if it's been on an actual alignment rack, I'd kind of like to see how I did.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
I know the general consensus of the Harbor Freight tap & die set is "avoid at all costs," but I'm wondering if you guys have any opinions on it for general thread cleanup. I'm not even talking reshaping threads, more just chasing them to get rid of machining gunk. I figure they'd probably be alright as long as I'm not trying to actually cut any new threads, yeah?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I know the general consensus of the Harbor Freight tap & die set is "avoid at all costs," but I'm wondering if you guys have any opinions on it for general thread cleanup. I'm not even talking reshaping threads, more just chasing them to get rid of machining gunk. I figure they'd probably be alright as long as I'm not trying to actually cut any new threads, yeah?

Taps and chasers aren't the same thing. Sounds like what you want are chasers. While you can get away with threading taps and dies for that (I certainly have) they remove more metal. Like, if part of a thread is rolled over a threading tap is likely to cut it off, where a chasing tap will form it back into place.

But if that's not in the cards for you, the HF set for doing what you're asking is a lot better than nothing. But not necessarily a LOT better.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Motronic posted:

Taps and chasers aren't the same thing. Sounds like what you want are chasers. While you can get away with threading taps and dies for that (I certainly have) they remove more metal. Like, if part of a thread is rolled over a threading tap is likely to cut it off, where a chasing tap will form it back into place.

But if that's not in the cards for you, the HF set for doing what you're asking is a lot better than nothing. But not necessarily a LOT better.

Any recommendations on a metric set that won't break the bank?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Not that is means much, but these are the ones Snap On rebrands: https://www.amazon.com/Kastar-971-Metric-Thread-Restorer/dp/B003QHQEPE

They have poo poo QC. Just like HF. So if you buy a set, open it up and check ALL of them for damage/messed up threads and return/exchange that poo poo until you get a full working set.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

In a pinch, you can take a bolt with the same thread pitch and cut some slots into in along the length of the screw with a cut-off wheel.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Motronic posted:

Not that is means much, but these are the ones Snap On rebrands: https://www.amazon.com/Kastar-971-Metric-Thread-Restorer/dp/B003QHQEPE

They have poo poo QC. Just like HF. So if you buy a set, open it up and check ALL of them for damage/messed up threads and return/exchange that poo poo until you get a full working set.

This is great info, thanks. I'll probably throw it on the 'long-term tool goal' list, but this:

Frank Dillinger posted:

In a pinch, you can take a bolt with the same thread pitch and cut some slots into in along the length of the screw with a cut-off wheel.

ain't a bad idea. Might do some research on fasteners and go buy a fistful of bolts.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

If you do that make sure to deburr the slitted bolt before you chowder all your threads instead of clearing them.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Any opinions on gearwrench 120xp non locking flex ratchet vs the 84 or 90 tooth locking ones?

Is the detent on non locking ones good enough? I've only ever used the old floppy snap on ones and hated them.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

When I was a machinist I’d use forming taps rather than cutting taps to chase threads. Never seen them sold as a set though. If you’re just chasing threads that you cleaned out before chasing, quality shouldn’t matter a ton. Cutting taps can also work but like mentioned they’ll probably cut thread and if the hole is bad can also start new threads.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Is the Ryobi cordless ratchet decent? Looking to buy one. Matches my current batteries but looks quite a bit bigger than other brands ratchets since it uses the same batteries as my drill, etc. Thoughts on getting a one off outside the current eco system?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Project Farm liked it, and it’s probably the one tool where I considered that.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Suburban Dad posted:

Is the Ryobi cordless ratchet decent? Looking to buy one. Matches my current batteries but looks quite a bit bigger than other brands ratchets since it uses the same batteries as my drill, etc. Thoughts on getting a one off outside the current eco system?

I have one and like it. It's better than any air ratchet I've ever used. Granted, non of those were new, but they were tool truck.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
imo the huge loving battery is a negative to me. getting to where you need to be and having room to work with it is the most important part.

also big thanks to sharkytm for giving me the honda valve tool, he even covered the shipping.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

IIRC Torque Test tested it out and it was miles ahead of the Milwaukee, which was disappointingly weak given how nice the fuel tools usually are. I'm probably going to go with the Astro 90 degree air impact when I end up shelling out for one because it's something like $120-150 and I already have a compressor and hose.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

BraveUlysses posted:

imo the huge loving battery is a negative to me. getting to where you need to be and having room to work with it is the most important part.

Yeah that's my concern with it, it looks massive.

Thanks for the feedback. Might have to mull it over and watch some videos then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

IIRC Torque Test tested it out and it was miles ahead of the Milwaukee, which was disappointingly weak given how nice the fuel tools usually are. I'm probably going to go with the Astro 90 degree air impact when I end up shelling out for one because it's something like $120-150 and I already have a compressor and hose.

It pains me to admit this because I've switched to the M12/M18 system, but my fairly old (I think ~10 years) 19V Craftsman drill / driver set is a lot more powerful than my new M12 FUEL set. I built a fence using these and only the Craftsman driver was powerful enough to get the screws all the way in. I bought the Craftsman for cheap when it already had the reputation of being much worse than the Craftsman of old, so I thought the modern M12 FUEL would be a lot more powerful despite the lower voltage. I wouldn't even recommend the Craftsman to a friend, but for me it's been abused and neglected yet had zero issues for 10 years and it still has decent power.

So either the M12 is too weak or I just lucked out on a Craftsman purchase. My Ryobi 40V yard tools have worked very well, but I don't know how well that carries over into their ratchets.