Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i mean yeah it's naked greed - same as charging more for new emulators on the online service. they charge it because people will pay for it, and they can. people who want it will pay for it. the same could be said for lots of things - DLC, updates, whatever - why not release it as a value-add instead of a new charge?

the general answer is that if the market will bear the company charging for something, they'll charge for it. how an individual feels about the value proposition can vary from "this feels sleazy/nintendo is loving us again" to "the devs would starve to death if the publisher didn't charge/only entitled assholes would balk at paying $x for Y"

i generally feel like game companies go way too hard on new charges and executive bonuses and not near hard enough on value-adds for customers and treating their employees well. i just kinda complain about it and then pay anyway cause i can absorb an extra $40 a year or whatever without trouble. at least nintendo doesn't brag about their record breaking profits while laying people off; for that reason i'm not near as annoyed as i am with other companies when new charges show up, so i'm not annoyed enough to stop buying stuff

idk how applicable the "executive bonus" thing above is to gamefreak but afaik japanese companies aren't as bad about it as american ones. i basically dont buy big-budget american games on release any more cause most of those companies are doodyheads imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I wouldn't say japanese companies are better about things, there's just somewhat different expectations and roles for company heads that alter how the same fundamental stuff plays out. Like how technically mass layoffs are seen as more of a bad look but they just instead exert internal pressure to get people to quit.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

that's an interesting point! it hasn't occurred to me how "convince people to quit" could cover for layoffs in some, uh, not great ways

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Dunno. Everyone who pre-ordered it from Amazon, no matter which of the three versions (regular, steelbook, collector's edition) got an email on Saturday saying their copy might be having a shipping delay. Rumor is that a shipping container didn't arrive on time or something.

Amazon still shows my Collector's Edition arriving on Friday, and I am taking that day off from work to play it. (I rarely take days off for a video games anymore but with Thursday being a national holiday, I figured take Friday off to make a four day weekend of it.) If it does get delayed I'll probably run to Wal Mart and grab a copy and chuck it on SA-Mart when my collector's edition arrives.

Should I preorder the standard edition on Best Buy for same day pickup just in case and cancel it if there is a steelbook version available at launch?

Usually I wouldn't give a poo poo. But I want to beat this game before FFXIV: Endwalker, so every day is precious time.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

mycophobia posted:

when has it ever not been basically the same rom

its always been bad to sell a double pack of the same game.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
howver that beding said nintendo stays winning

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Achmed Jones posted:

idk how applicable the "executive bonus" thing above is to gamefreak but afaik japanese companies aren't as bad about it as american ones. i basically dont buy big-budget american games on release any more cause most of those companies are doodyheads imo

thank you for your service king. we'll show them whaht for.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

hatty posted:

I never understood those that buy both. Just coordinate with your friends/family, that’s why there’s different versions in the first place

But the games have regularly have pokemon there is only one of - eg: the box legendary, so unless you've got a friend who's willing to give that up without you giving yours up in return, there's not enough to go around, unless you want to play through the game a second time.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
If you think about it, if you pay to play video games it's actually you that's getting played

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Just get a cheater to trade you the stuff you need instead of spending $60 to flip the flag you need to trade with yourself.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Hey 100 how are your thoughts now this far into FFX?

I was going to play again but the unskippable cutscenes pushed me to actually play FFX-2 for the first time and I'm liking it. I miss Blitzball though.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

If they haven't made all the mainline games in this fashion I'd be shocked.

Achmed Jones posted:

that's an interesting point! it hasn't occurred to me how "convince people to quit" could cover for layoffs in some, uh, not great ways

In places like the US it also means not paying unemployment for those people. :capitalism:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
"This is the funniest poo poo I've seen in years"

I feel bad for your life.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Bust Rodd posted:

Pokémon Sword was one of the first games I played on Switch and I got to the 3rd gym and realized it was a baby game for little babies and sold it.

Which one wasn't?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

Should I preorder the standard edition on Best Buy for same day pickup just in case and cancel it if there is a steelbook version available at launch?

Usually I wouldn't give a poo poo. But I want to beat this game before FFXIV: Endwalker, so every day is precious time.

There really is no way to tell. I guess there's nothing stopping you from ordering the standard edition and then exchanging it if Best Buy has a steelbook on the shelf.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

mycophobia posted:

the games are still made for children, but you grew up. can't be too mad about it imo

While this is true, there also wasn’t online trading with randos when I was a kid so it at least made sense to trade with friends in person. These days kids can buy one version of the game and still trade for every Pokémon even if they don’t have a friend with the game, it makes having version exclusive Pokémon kind of dumb.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Evil Fluffy posted:

If they haven't made all the mainline games in this fashion I'd be shocked.

In places like the US it also means not paying unemployment for those people. :capitalism:

Probably not the GB gens. Depending on version every monster has different sprites in those versions and space was a legitimate concern.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I got over 50 hours in Sword, I don't remember much of any of it, but the DLC ruled. Also doing quick multiplayer fights in the Wilds. First Pokemon I ever played though so yeah.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Diamond/Pearl was kind of the first gen where you no longer needed a friend with the other version, because of the global trading system

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
the hype bonus sustained my blue and gold playthrus as a kid because i was a kid and every other kid was playing it. i didnt play any other pokemons until sword/shield came out and i played shield and it was really boring but i still beat it for some reason. im playing fire red on and off and the nostalgia bonus is enough for that i think

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

GTS is a good idea in theory but 90% of the time it's people putting up their rare stuff requesting an impossible trade in order to brag.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Probably not the GB gens. Depending on version every monster has different sprites in those versions and space was a legitimate concern.

They were still likely coded as a single game, with a copy then used to make the other version. If space would've allowed them to just have a single code with flags to toggle I'm sure they'd have tried to go that route (assuming they didn't try and hit those space concerns then change course).

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I always the difference between pokermans games was one would have half of the pocketmens and the other game had the other half of the porkrangoons

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

No. 1 ANIME HATER posted:

I always the difference between pokermans games was one would have half of the pocketmens and the other game had the other half of the porkrangoons

shut the gently caress up

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

No, there's just, like, five or six pikmins per generation that are exclusive to each version and a few cosmetic textures

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Dec 22, 2021

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

mycophobia posted:

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Bring Dragon Quest Monsters back!

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

mycophobia posted:

LOL no

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

:imunfunny:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

mycophobia posted:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Pretty cool that Nintendo is hosing buttmad nerds for double pokesterman games

The Nintendo winning never ends

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Pretty cool that Nintendo is hosing buttmad nerds for double pokesterman games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4mY4FHyT80

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Why do they call it a Pokemon when you poke in the ball and out of fight the mon

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

mycophobia posted:

the hype bonus sustained my blue and gold playthrus as a kid because i was a kid and every other kid was playing it. i didnt play any other pokemons until sword/shield came out and i played shield and it was really boring but i still beat it for some reason. im playing fire red on and off and the nostalgia bonus is enough for that i think

firered f tw. heartgold also is win.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Gen 5 ruled

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Heartgold is the best Pokemon game. They should have never evolved past those graphics.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
a friend lent me heartgold and its sitting in a drawer. ill play it someday

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

why does the best console forum always get so hostile lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

mycophobia posted:

a friend lent me heartgold and its sitting in a drawer. ill play it someday

You should give it back to your friend, that’s their retirement fund you’ve got sitting in a drawer