Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

ronya posted:

If that's how the memetic censor works, it's be obviously noticeable IRL - people halting mid-sentence and such

I think this is a special case, since Tessa's actually face-to-face with the Woman herself. It must cause a lot more cognitive dissonance than usual to have a name you're about to say erased from your mind.

Ocean of Milk posted:

It seems obvious to me that this is not at all what Tessa's actual dream was, but instead all staged by goops to tilt her (even further).

That would be counterproductive. Tessa is already so tilted that she's about to become completely broken and be useless for whatever Goops' purposes are. The reason Goops initiated this was to get her to calm down enough to stay functional.

So I'm inclined to say this is the real dream, because Goops would've made it a lot more pleasant if she was going to fabricate things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ocean of Milk
Jun 25, 2018

oh yeah

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

That would be counterproductive. Tessa is already so tilted that she's about to become completely broken and be useless for whatever Goops' purposes are. The reason Goops initiated this was to get her to calm down enough to stay functional.

So I'm inclined to say this is the real dream, because Goops would've made it a lot more pleasant if she was going to fabricate things.

My suspicion is Goops is trying to change Tessa from a depressed wreck who thinks she failed the world because she wasn't good enough and is full of hate for herself into a being full of resentment for the world by turning said hate outwards instead, perhaps by making her believe that she was in fact always good enough but that fate simply decided to betray her or that she will/must always fail for no reason at all.

Like yeah, you can't do anything with a depressed wreck, but you can't do anything with a happy Tessa full of love and sympathy for the world either. What use would Goops have for someone like that? You gotta give her energy by fueling her with hate, only then can you turn her into a weapon to fight against the world with.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Yeah this seems to be a really special case. Like if something akin to this happened outside, she wouldn't even reach "you're the one who makes magical girls", she would have teetered off way before now.

Really goes to show how strong that censor is that you can be face to face with her, literally looking into her eyes and talking with her, and be completely unable to say her name.

I also agree with the earlier conversation that if this is just goops loving with her it kinda... weakens the moment? I dunno I think it's way more interesting if, yeah, this is her Dream and all that means for Tessa specifically, as well as the girl in white and the world in general

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

rannum posted:

I also agree with the earlier conversation that if this is just goops loving with her it kinda... weakens the moment? I dunno I think it's way more interesting if, yeah, this is her Dream and all that means for Tessa specifically, as well as the girl in white and the world in general

Yeah I agree with this. It would cheapen Tessa's arc significantly if she becomes an evil magical girl because goops "tricked" her with a completely fake dream. Of course goops is manipulating her but so far she's been able to do that with telling the truth.

Nothing in the dream seems out of place. It fits what we know of Tessa pretty well. There's no compelling reason to suspect what we've seen so far is a lie.

If Goops wanted to make her hate the girl in white or her friends with a fake dream, I don't think she would have been nearly this subtle about it.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Nov 1, 2021

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I think that Cube is a good writer and knows that giving your villains an internally consistent motivation to be evil is good writing. So Goops most likely has legitimate grievances against the Founder which she will share with Tessa in order to manipulate her into helping achieve her goals. Making poo poo up about her is not necessary.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

My guess for the fuzzy-eye censor here is that it's actually working the other way from how we normally see it. Tessa was going to ask if she's the Founder, but while in the dream she's blocked from any knowledge of the City. That the barrier between the two sets of knowledge goes both ways.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Tenebrais posted:

My guess for the fuzzy-eye censor here is that it's actually working the other way from how we normally see it. Tessa was going to ask if she's the Founder, but while in the dream she's blocked from any knowledge of the City. That the barrier between the two sets of knowledge goes both ways.

Does this imply that the Founder is outside the outer barrier? That she can only reach out to citizens and grant powers through dreams? Is the barrier keeping her out?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
"she" could be recontextualizing Tessa's original dream to mess with her, but I dunno what more you need to really do to her.

When she opened the door to meet "her", Tessa pretty clearly was straight up believing she was committing suicide. She went outside wanting to be killed so it'd all be over, so I think simply not killing her completely subverts all her expectations and makes her more open to directly manipulate.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
I'm wondering a little about just how evil Goops is. I mean, she's obviously evil and all, but it seems the woman in white is miserable and lonely, anemone is messed up, and the whole system relies on continually creating these sacrificial lambs in the form of magic girls. If she's trying to break the system, my theory is she's one of the originals who had something awful happen, and is planning to use Tessa as a means to break things open and put an end to the whole thing. She just doesn't care what she does or who she hurts to get there.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Bonster posted:

I'm wondering a little about just how evil Goops is. I mean, she's obviously evil and all, but it seems the woman in white is miserable and lonely, anemone is messed up, and the whole system relies on continually creating these sacrificial lambs in the form of magic girls. If she's trying to break the system, my theory is she's one of the originals who had something awful happen, and is planning to use Tessa as a means to break things open and put an end to the whole thing. She just doesn't care what she does or who she hurts to get there.

Yeah I think that's a good theory. It's been noted in comic how immature she seems, so her being a failed magical girl would fit really well with that. Personality wise she might be in the same place she was when they originally tried to give her magic. And if she has been constantly exposed to everyone's nightmares for however many years this has been going on, Goops probably has tons of trauma heaped on top of that.

So yeah if something like that is the case, I could see her doing whatever it takes just to stop her own suffering.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

My understanding has always been that the Founder probably IS the barrier. She's sacrificing herself to keep whatever's creating the monsters (goops or something else) sealed up and not a threat to the outside world. The censoring occurs to protect the lie about the rest of the world being hosed up, and keep everyone striving to protect the last stand.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-page-7

Well, I guess if anyone would know what that's like...

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
She was convinced pretty quickly, considering how much she apparently angsted over whether or not to give her the power.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Well admittedly it seems she had already made her decision before giving her the dream.

Unless she's almost meguca'd a gal, only to go '...Actually nah' and boot them out. Seems like it'd cause people complexes though.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

With the power of forgetting that's active, maybe the Woman in White gives out dreams like candy and only decides after a series of dream interviews. This dream was Tessa's final call-back.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Well, your dream-resume is impressive, but I'm afraid you're not a good dream-fit for our magical role at this moment. Please dream-apply again in a few months and we can dream-reevaluate where we stand then.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Lots of Magical Girls wash out because they get fed up having to upload their dream-resume onto the dream-website only to have to manually enter it all again on the next page.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Imagine giving Tessa powers because you think she can't possibly get more isolated. Boy, I bet Girl in White feels stupid now!

Goops is doing the same thing though.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

girl dick energy posted:

She was convinced pretty quickly, considering how much she apparently angsted over whether or not to give her the power.

someone directly telling you what they think would be in their own best interest and why can be a pretty compelling factor, if that's what you actually care about

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Ragnar34 posted:

Imagine giving Tessa powers because you think she can't possibly get more isolated. Boy, I bet Girl in White feels stupid now!

Goops is doing the same thing though.

Pretty sure the Girl in White doesn't really have a choice here. It looks like she has seen this situation play out too many times to not know what will happen, and has been avoiding it, but now that that Dream is happening (Like I said, I think desire is a big factor and one that the GiW has no control over), she probably must have to grant her powers.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I think the WiW needs magical girls enough that if a really really potentially powerful one is loudly saying 'I have heard the problems you expect me to have, now let me sign on the dotted line' she's going to go ahead.

I don't think the WiW has literally no choice, I think magical girls are literally the only line of defense between humanity and nightmare monsters in this city. And she's choosing to grant powers to those who want them, to fight that, rather than let humans be completely wiped out.

From a very, very cold perspective, it's better for Tessa to knowingly accept the possibility of suffering and wipe out a bunch of monsters that would otherwise kill people, than to take the high road and insist you know better than her, even if you totally do know better than her and can see how her friends will definitely all die. I mean, it's not even like Tessa not being there would have saved them from Goops!

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
For those who didn't look it up, The World - Yuki Kajiura (the hover text from this update) is a song(+ artist) from .hack//SIGN and the lyrics are, well:

quote:

You are here alone again
In your sweet insanity
All too calm, you hide yourself from reality
Do you call it solitude? do you call it liberty?
When all the world turns away to leave you lonely

The fields are filled with desires
All voices crying for freedom
But all in vain they will fade away
There's only you to answer you, forever

In blinded mind you are singing
A glorious hallelujah
The distant flutter of angels
They're all too far, too far to reach for you

I am here alone again
In my sweet serenity
Hoping you will never find me in any place
I will call it solitude
When all my songs fade in vain
Fly my voice, far away to eternity

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 6, 2021

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
I do think it's important tht while Tessa initially framed it in terms of 'isolation', she quickly clarified to 'my friends are fighting/in danger and I want to help' which is pretty selfless imo

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Mazerunner posted:

I do think it's important tht while Tessa initially framed it in terms of 'isolation', she quickly clarified to 'my friends are fighting/in danger and I want to help' which is pretty selfless imo

Tessa isn't a bad person, she does care about her friends. But she absolutely has a hang up about needing to be the center and most important person in her friend group. For teenager reasons not malicious ones. So I wouldn't say she is entirely selfless with her motivation for protecting her friends in that context.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

JuniperCake posted:

Tessa isn't a bad person, she does care about her friends. But she absolutely has a hang up about needing to be the center and most important person in her friend group. For teenager reasons not malicious ones. So I wouldn't say she is entirely selfless with her motivation for protecting her friends in that context.

That's true, but it read to me as if that was the answer TWIW was looking for. She keeps getting these girls that (through no fault of their own, the propaganda machine makes them this way) want power, popularity, attention, whatever, and she's looking for girls who want to protect the city. It seemed like she was hesitant to create another child soldier, especially such a powerful one, but Tessa expressing at least something along the lines of "I want to fight and protect people" was enough, even if it might have its own selfish reasons behind it.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

https://www.sleeplessdomain.com//chapter-page-8

Oho, getting to the spicy motives of goops now

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

rannum posted:

https://www.sleeplessdomain.com//chapter-page-8

Oho, getting to the spicy motives of goops now

So this is Brainhacking 101? If they don't know it's not their anger they won't stop feeling it

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Printing "Goops was right" t-shirts.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Looking to the past through purple tinted glasses

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Is Goops getting more than she bargained for? Tessa's talent for magic being too great so that Goops is no longer the one in control?

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Loving the look in the third panel where she goes from gold in the center of her pink eyes to Goops' purple. If we get a "dark magical girl" kind of look for Tessa then I hope that's part of it.

Honestly, this whole comic's visuals have been so loving cool. It's gotten so dynamic and gorgeous as it's gone on. The detail of her body escaping the panel in the fourth panel really gives a sense of depth. Everything has such a sense of motion instead of "characters standing around" which is a common issue with comics.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Yeah it's pretty clear Mary's style is genuinely just a stylistic choice (a good one, but still), and she could probably break out some crazy poo poo if she wanted to.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Im fairly sure by this point its clear Goops knows WiW personally, and has some level of animosity over SOMETHING in the past, probably to do with why goops is now in control of the inner barrier. I suspect that Goops was one of the original magical girls who knew the WiW personally and was sacrificed directly to create the inner barrier either voluntarily but not understanding forever or unwillingly. Actually, the whole corruption thing the monsters do seems to be linked to this, its just the average normal person you grab has the magic potential and mental fortitude of uninteresting rock and gets their brain/personality totally dissolved in the process. With someone who seems to have a knowledge of the process and a lot of awareness and control at the helm they might succeed.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It appears the background text is shifting from Tessa begging to be freed and generally Not Having a Good Time to lines like “I HATE YOU ALL”

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Pants Donkey posted:

It appears the background text is shifting from Tessa begging to be freed and generally Not Having a Good Time to lines like “I HATE YOU ALL”

In that we're getting Goop's memories bleeding in, I think we're also getting her thoughts and feelings there as well. IE, she's filled with hatred and rage.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/cubewatermelon/status/1458545850452480004

Wow, I can't believe Mary is actually bad.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Anime status: Gratuitous

It's the alchemical symbol for Platinum

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Goops is not a bad fashion designer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm optimistic! Things are really turning around for Tessa today.