Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
The only good reviews are negative ones and I have no interest in a positive review of anything ever, honestly.
I want to know what people hated so I can think "hmm, do I hate that thing?" and make a decision based on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Taear posted:

The only good reviews are negative ones and I have no interest in a positive review of anything ever, honestly.
I want to know what people hated so I can think "hmm, do I hate that thing?" and make a decision based on that.

This honestly seems like a miserable way to consume media

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This honestly seems like a miserable way to consume media

But it's more efficient :mitt:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Efficiency should absolutely never factor into how you approach a piece of media though. Just loving watch/listen/read things and form your own opinions instead of letting others dictate them for you.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Efficiency should absolutely never factor into how you approach a piece of media though. Just loving watch/listen/read things and form your own opinions instead of letting others dictate them for you.

Weren’t you literally just gushing about how much you love RLM, the source from which all the bullshit media opinion channels on the internet got their spiel? Idgi

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

Taear posted:

It’s not just that, but how could someone actually trust any opinions from someone if they only ever express positive ones. You’d have only half their perspective, and of those positive takes you’d never be able to trust their position because of how much incentive there is to give positive review.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

skasion posted:

Weren’t you literally just gushing about how much you love RLM, the source from which all the bullshit media opinion channels on the internet got their spiel? Idgi

in fairness to RLM, they don't really just poo poo on stuff anymore. most of their jokes are just about how they are a bunch of out of touch doughy white guys and they're pretty forgiving in general.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Nah, gushing fandom reviews are cringe but they aren't nearly as bad as five hour long 'this is why this thing sucks' video reviews constructed out of deliberate misunderstandings of what the media is supposed to be.

At least with genuine fandom someone is being happy about something.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

skasion posted:

punishedkissinger posted:

in fairness to RLM, they don't really just poo poo on stuff anymore. most of their jokes are just about how they are a bunch of out of touch doughy white guys and they're pretty forgiving in general.

Also it's not exactly hypocritical to still be a fan of RedLetterMedia while also hating the garbage internet review-rant cargo cult that spawned from people thinking they could do that too, only they misunderstood what RLM was trying to do, or are grossly media illiterate, or just had lovely personal and/or political views that they couldn't keep a lid on. Liking RLM and loving despising someone like The Critical Drinker are two vastly different things on opposite ends of a wide spectrum.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
let us imbed star trek episodes as the background to our're posts

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Dear Alex Kurtzman,

Please give us the next episode of Prodigy early this week so we can end this stupid derail about what various vapid e-pricks we do and do not like.

Thanks.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
At least we get Disco Season 4 next week. :unsmigghh:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
exciting if true lol

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

skasion posted:

I like watching them react to batshit b-movies, I could care less what they think about the new Star Trek/Wars/Marvel/etc.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I like watching them react to batshit b-movies, I could care less what they think about the new Star Trek/Wars/Marvel/etc.

It's not about caring about what they think or even agreeing or disagreeing with them. It's about appreciating the analysis of the movie or show from their perspective. If you appreciate their perspective on b-movies it's still a good perspective for tent pole movies. RLM is one of the few prominent review houses that can separate the scales of quality and enjoyment.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

i mostly linked that video because i havent seen lower decks and found it funny that they used that thing from when they were making fun of discovery, and assuming that wasnt creative editing and mariner actually does directly quote them in that scene then it makes me curious what the writing team of LD thinks of discovery. not in a tribalistic "oh they dont like discovery i will watch their show now" way, just that it would be interesting to have 2 star trek shows airing at the same time and actually in conversation with each other. particularly because discovery is such an empty, hollow shell of a show with all the trappings of a thematic and/or emotional core but nothing to really show for it, so seeing this cartoon thats actually trying and (apparently? allegedly?) succeeding at it have something to say would be interesting.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
It was just mostly out of context clips edited to sound like they're direct quotes.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Lower Decks has made a couple jokes that are hard to read as anything but mocking Discovery though.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

Lower Decks has made a couple jokes that are hard to read as anything but mocking Discovery though.

Lower decks has made fun of almost every Trek series, so it's not like they're playing favorites.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Super Deuce posted:

I’m curious why it’s good to watch only positive reviews of things. That seems... kind of the opposite of review.

You misunderstand what I'm saying. He is quite critical of things but outside of a few examples that deserve it (such as Code of Honor, certain SG-1 episodes like Emancipation, or Into Darkness) he tries to keep a more, hmm, let's say professional tone so it feels more like an actual review of the material presented and less of a "ugh, this did not do the imagined thing in my mind, therefore it is trash that must be destroyed and all who enjoyed it are wrong and have terrible opinions, and they smell bad too".

I can think of several reviews where he clearly isn't impressed with the work he's reviewing, but he frames it in a way that both sides should be able to enjoy his video. Though I will admit I only started watching his reviews within the last 4 or 5 years, and I know his early Voyager reviews are a lot more opinionated. I also haven't watched any Voyager so it doesn't mean anything to me :shrug:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

A.o.D. posted:

Lower decks has made fun of almost every Trek series, so it's not like they're playing favorites.

They read more as Discovery is bad than loving mockery to me, but I could just be projecting my own opinions.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Grand Fromage posted:

So has Discovery itself, weirdly enough. Season 3 has several lines like this. Like when they get to Fed HQ and they ask Burnham if she’s prone to emotional exaggeration

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

skasion posted:

So has Discovery itself, weirdly enough. Season 3 has several lines like this. Like when they get to Fed HQ and they ask Burnham if she’s prone to emotional exaggeration

Eli the Medical AI is definitely descended from The Doctor

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
My favorite is when she practically turned to the camera in the first episode or two of season 3 and said “I’m different now”.

And then she reverted to the same old poo poo.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Alchenar posted:

Nah, gushing fandom reviews are cringe but they aren't nearly as bad as five hour long 'this is why this thing sucks' video reviews constructed out of deliberate misunderstandings of what the media is supposed to be.

At least with genuine fandom someone is being happy about something.

I mean I don't watch any videos ever, I'm talking written reviews.
I hate having to dedicate my time in that way I guess.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Red letter media, I would say critiques both positive and negatively based on what they think is a good movie or show. Star trek is Mike's main thing but it is obvious that he loved the TNG era and DS9 along with ToS movies.

They reviewed the first few seasons of Discovery and Picard but have stopped because they always come to the same conclusion: this isn't what they want out of trek and it isn't for them.

They always approached the critiques from the point of mechanics of film making and script writing. Usually dunking on themselves by saying obviously wrong specific details and technobabble. They are usually fairly good and they actually love a lot of very good movies, but they have their biases. Such as Jay liking terrible horror movies.

Half in the bag is a good place to go to see their humor at work toward criticism.

Either way, if you had watched the reviews they don't say anything bad about people liking new trek but they aren't reviewing them anymore because they as they put it two old white guys who want a different style of star trek. Where the pacing, tone, and message is very different.

I don't care if you love them or their critiques but they aren't deserving to put on the same as like half of these star trek channels who literally are "black woman make show bad."

If you want someone who is the opposite and loves the nue trek I recommend jessie gender on YouTube.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Erulisse posted:

For a second I thought there was another, good RLM, that didn't do a take "Data was never Picard's friend because Picard never had any friends, therefore PIC bad" but then you hit me with "slightest glance" and yep, same dumb idiots.

Yes at the slightest glance that Mike guy obviously loves TNG era trek. You don't need to be so... abrasive about this?? It's fine?

Erulisse posted:

And as usual, you keep reading things that aren't there.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
Sincere question, because I don't know jack about RLM outside of "those guys who did the SW prequel breakdown vids": Why is it every time someone mentions RLM in a thread it ends up in a slapfight about whether or not RLM is good/sucks?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

because goons

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

My Second Re-Reg posted:

Sincere question, because I don't know jack about RLM outside of "those guys who did the SW prequel breakdown vids": Why is it every time someone mentions RLM in a thread it ends up in a slapfight about whether or not RLM is good/sucks?

I think a lot of their criticism comes from a place of feeling like modern franchise filmmaking is led by an all out attempt to just cynically pander to fandoms to the detriment of anything interesting or artistic (they even kind of recognise that those star wars prequel vids, which amounted to "why won't they just give the fans what they want", ended up kind of a monkey's paw) - which I guess suggests that people who buy into your marvels or modern star wars or whatever are all huge rubes.

But also because goons

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
They have been pretty clear that they don';t see marvel movies as movies and instead as templated product. Which uh... yeah, it is a formula, which apparently we aren't tired of yet.

Though the reviews of the newer ones are slowly going down

edit: I just get annoyed cause I've seen some outright "DIVERSITY KILLING STAR TREK" rants by some channels, and they never seem to get poo poo on, instead it is RLM. I mean if you want to talk about lovely reviewers, there are a ton of them out there that can curdle your milk.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

RLM aren't anti-diversity, but they are very clear that they don't put any value on diversity or representation when it comes as part of a templated product (I think they are wrong on this, but I don't think it's an unreasonable position to hold for someone who just wants to look at the film as a piece of media).

e: they aren't even mean about the MCU films - they watch and review them for what they are, which is a simple 'did you have fun watching or not?'

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Nov 10, 2021

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I've read a couple of the Picard books and while not the best they all seem like better plots than whatever we got for the show.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

RLM is correct that the Picard Data friendship wasn't prominent until the movies, because the movies had to pare down the ensemble, Data was a popular character, and Stewart and Spiner were influential friends in real life.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Arglebargle III posted:

RLM is correct that the Picard Data friendship wasn't prominent until the movies, because the movies had to pare down the ensemble, Data was a popular character, and Stewart and Spiner were influential friends in real life.

Really it starts in First Contact. In Generations, Picard is pretty short with him and tells him to get his poo poo together in the big scene they share. Geordie is still very much Data's after hours pal. First Contact has a similar dynamic too, Picard doesn't launch some mission to rescue Data and naturally assumes he's been deactivated/assimilated/whatever until they use him to lure Picard back to the hive.

And you know, one film where they're the central players would be fine (overall quality of the first two outings not withstanding) but then they repeated it again for the next two.

If the films were all you'd seen in your prep for writing on Picard, you could be mistaken for over estimating the significance of their relationship. On the show, he's a valued crew member, and Picard takes an interest in his growth and well being of course, but they're hardly soul mates.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I know PIC really lays it on thick as far as their deep connection and friendship, but really I think Picard himself would go to the ends of the galaxy to solve a mystery/complete a legacy/whatever for any of his bridge crew that may have died tragically. It's less "Data and Picard are BFFs" and more "Picard has a deep emotional connection to the members of his crew," which is also something we've seen multiple times on TNG.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

"Data... Do you recall a certain summer week we spent traipsing the corridors, our hands in one another's back pockets?"

"Fondly, sir."

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Picard S1 never actually establishes why Data made that painting with Soji in it, given he had no connection to the android colony at all.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Alchenar posted:

Picard S1 never actually establishes why Data made that painting with Soji in it, given he had no connection to the android colony at all.
She was grown from Data's neurons, which is the connection. I mean, make of that what you will.

On Picard's love for Data, I mean it's completely plausible that a character like that would get a lil softer in his old age. And I think part of what they're going for is him regretting that he wasn't more openly fond towards his crew back on the Enterprise. But yes I would agree that even with that in mind the transformation is a bit drastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Alchenar posted:

The more important question is why wasn't it of Lal his actual daughter? Like even if they didn't want to include Lal at all maybe have the painting be of Soji in Lal's clothing or some poo poo to at least acknowledge her.