Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

whichever one of you loving nerds buys that poo poo better scan it into a pdf and upload it to the forums or imma take your water mark my loving words

martin shkreli already bought it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Mister Speaker posted:

martin shkreli already bought it

i searched my heart, i know it's true :sigh:

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Imperial Suk doctor Vinnie Boombatz

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

It helps to be amenable to 90s and 60s kitsch. D2K is a very shallow adaptation of the book that nonetheless wants to remind you of the book

It's fun for what it is. It's another version of dune to compare against the others which is fun

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

the overnight cultural rehabilitation of the miniseries going on rn is almost as pathetic as 'The Prequels Are Good'. remove yourself from my sight!

Baudolino? That's a blast from the past.

I see his eye for quality has not improved

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Fuschia tude posted:

In England,Shropshire, Wroxeter, two 18teen year old boys are still entering an abonend bunker as they always will be, world without end.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

If you have absolutely no money then the Dune Miniseries is probably the best adaptation of Dune you could hope to make.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Alchenar posted:

If you have absolutely no money then the Dune Miniseries is probably the best adaptation of Dune you could hope to make.

the videogames were better and cost less to make :colbert:

the heebie-gbs
Apr 23, 2007

♫ twerrrmmmmm ♫
       /
:sax:

Ramc posted:

It was fall again, and with the changing of the leaves the ancient Frank Herbert dared.

Braving the teeming water-fat masses of the outside world he made his way and at altar of the fish-wife goddess he made his demands of the barista.

"The spice." he hissed, his voice a dusty rasp, almost a whisper. "It must flow."

The servant prepared his beverage- the spice coffee- and the cinnamon and nutmeg smell of melange teased his nostrils.

"So, uh, sir, do you want your senior discount?" the barista inquired

"The geriatric discount??"

"Uh, yeah, so that's ten cents off..."

"Ah-h-h-h" Frank smiled in triumph, producing- just as he had foreseen- an additional coupon and slid it across the counter.

Deals within deals...

jfc jumping on this post resurrection train because my god it's perfect

the heebie-gbs
Apr 23, 2007

♫ twerrrmmmmm ♫
       /
:sax:

Fuschia tude posted:

“There is nothing better than imagining other worlds,” he said, “to forget the painful one we live in. At least so I thought then. I hadn’t yet realized that, imagining other worlds, you end up changing this one.”
-Baudolino from Baudolino, and also basically Paul Dune from Dune

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Alchenar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRy18Euw6W4

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Greatest school play ever filmed.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

the guild does not take your orders

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

better acting than dunc paul

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So in their little galactic jihad, I guess the spice-addicted Fremen had to take loads of the spice melange around with them to get their fix like the Jem Hadar? Is that ever a problem or is it just, oh we put some in the MREs. After this all kicks off, are Fremen still exclusively born on Arrakis?

Also, I've never seen geriatric to mean "life-extending" in any context except Dune. Is that an archaic usage of the word, or Herbert-only.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

zoux posted:

Also, I've never seen geriatric to mean "life-extending" in any context except Dune. Is that an archaic usage of the word, or Herbert-only.

As far as I can tell, unique to Herbert (the word "geriatric" is relatively new). It's not an improper use of the word, though, since it's derived from the Greek gḗras, meaning "old age".

Something about Iranian state media being Lynch Dune fans is funny to me.

https://twitter.com/Seamus_Malek/status/1458394115075416066

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
One million deaths are not enough for Stockwell!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

zoux posted:

So in their little galactic jihad, I guess the spice-addicted Fremen had to take loads of the spice melange around with them to get their fix like the Jem Hadar? Is that ever a problem or is it just, oh we put some in the MREs. After this all kicks off, are Fremen still exclusively born on Arrakis?

I don’t think it’s ever mentioned. They must have had spice with them or they’d die, and Fremen food is always infused with spice. So yeah, in the MREs, why not.

The Fremen hosed a lot of people during the jihad. That was kind of the whole point of it. But it doesn’t seem like there are ever “offworld Fremen”. Offworld kids wouldn’t have the eyes of Ibad and they definitely wouldn’t be trained in the traditional ways of the desert and all that. Maybe there’s something in Messiah or Children that I’m forgetting, but it doesn’t seem like the jihad caused any real spread of Fremen culture. The opposite really, after a period of Fremen all over the place they kind of turn inward under Leto, go back home and eventually dwindle away with the desert. They’re desert creatures and need to change if they want to live elsewhere.

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

Alchenar posted:

Greatest school play ever filmed.

That's a lot goofier than I remember it being.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

I Greyhound posted:

That's a lot goofier than I remember it being.

The whole shebang is like that, it kind of blends into the context

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

skasion posted:

I don’t think it’s ever mentioned. They must have had spice with them or they’d die, and Fremen food is always infused with spice. So yeah, in the MREs, why not.

The Fremen hosed a lot of people during the jihad. That was kind of the whole point of it. But it doesn’t seem like there are ever “offworld Fremen”. Offworld kids wouldn’t have the eyes of Ibad and they definitely wouldn’t be trained in the traditional ways of the desert and all that. Maybe there’s something in Messiah or Children that I’m forgetting, but it doesn’t seem like the jihad caused any real spread of Fremen culture. The opposite really, after a period of Fremen all over the place they kind of turn inward under Leto, go back home and eventually dwindle away with the desert. They’re desert creatures and need to change if they want to live elsewhere.

yeah the Jihad ultimately destroyed Fremen culture. by the time of God Emperor they don't really exist in any meaningful way except as an ersatz tourist attraction. "museum Fremen."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Yeah, like the BG, the Fremen got what they wanted and it wrecked them. When your whole culture is based on thriving in absolute poverty and harboring a grudge against the rest of civilization forever, how are you going to cope with being handed wealth and status?

the overnight cultural rehabilitation of the miniseries going on rn is almost as pathetic as 'The Prequels Are Good'. remove yourself from my sight!
Boo this man. Boo, I say!

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

skasion posted:

Dune Messiah discusses how the mundane bureaucracy of government gets suffused with Paul's cult on a galactic scale. The Fremen sweep through the galaxy spreading the word of their savior and those planets that don't get razed or destroyed are indoctrinated (or else). So even on a planet far off from Arrakis, if you wanted to get a building permit to expand your business you'd have to contend with someone at local government who has drunken the cool-aid. This seeps into every aspect of daily life, much like Cold War authoritarian states.

edit: Herbert touches on this, but like a lot of things in the Dune universe, doesn't go into great detail.

The Fremen Jihadists would absolutely need a daily spice bump if they were to survive going off world. Spice in the MRE's is a good idea, but again, Herbert never discussed this.

Automatic Slim fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Nov 10, 2021

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Automatic Slim posted:

Dune Messiah discusses how daily bureaucracy government and gets suffused with Paul's cult on a galactic scale. The Fremen sweep through the galaxy spreading the word of their savior and those planets they don't raze or destroy are indoctrinated (or else). So even on a planet far off from Arrakis, if you wanted to get a building permit to expand your business, you'd have to contend with someone at local government who has drunken the cool-aid. This seeps into every aspect of daily life, much like Cold War authoritarian states.

edit: Herbert touches on this, but, like a lot of things in the Dune universe, doesn't go into great detail.

The Fremen Jihadists would absolutely need a daily spice bump if they were to survive going off world. Spice in the MRE's is a good idea, but again, Herbert never discussed this.

Yeah there's a line where Paul is recounting other famous "emperors" like Hitler while comparing their "Crusades", and casually mentions the Fremen have wiped out like 50 other religions.

Speaking of spice, the whole point of it was the wealthy used it in their food constantly for it's life extending effects, so it's not impossible that Paul could just stop "selling" spice to the houses and instead feeding it to the soldiers for however many years it takes. I think the whole point is the Guild, the BG, maybe the Great Houses sat on massive, massive stores of spice since the Guild only took payment in Spice, but once the Guild was neutered suddenly the supply is way higher.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 10, 2021

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/BonerWizard/status/1458303484508340225

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
Do the Fremen have to survive while on their Jihad? They don't need spice MREs if they're just going somewhere to fight and die for the cause.

I wonder how many of those religions are "genuine" religions vs BG implanted cults. Once the cult/religion is established on Arrakis, any variant on another planet becomes a threat. It's probably easier to subdue, without force, great powers (the Guild, the BG, the Great Houses of the Landsraad) than it is to subdue the religious fanatics of any other backwater planet with nothing to lose.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

skasion posted:

The whole shebang is like that, it kind of blends into the context

It's necessary. If you don't have the budget for big sets of vfx or any of the things that DV uses to establish that this world is strange and different then you have to dress everyone up in goofy costumes and tell them to act really weird.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

YoursTruly posted:

Do the Fremen have to survive while on their Jihad? They don't need spice MREs if they're just going somewhere to fight and die for the cause.

Fremen are dependent on Spice, but so were most modestly well-to-do families in the Galaxy, I thought? And I don't think it takes a ton of Spice to keep them coherent. I'd imagine a nice Spice coffee to start the day is probably enough, and it's basic and essential enough to be an indispensable part of their rations regardless of whether they're fighting on or off Arrakis. And if that's not enough, they can raid the palatial kitchens of the local administrative center for dietary Spice supplements, since anyone who was anybody added a little to their food.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Automatic Slim posted:

So even on a planet far off from Arrakis, if you wanted to get a building permit... you'd have to contend with someone at local government who has drunken the cool-aid.

This Fremen HOA is why houses on Tupile are so expensive!

E: vvvvvv

Actually, if you Fremillenials didn't waste money on avocado spice toast...

threelemmings fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Nov 10, 2021

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
A handful of spice will buy you a home on Tupile, so I don't think the middle class is putting spice in their morning coffee. I assume it's as rare and expensive as whatever Satanic elixir keeps Henry Kissinger and Nancy Pelosi alive.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Alchenar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIzTat3OD3w

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Alchenar posted:

It's necessary. If you don't have the budget for big sets of vfx or any of the things that DV uses to establish that this world is strange and different then you have to dress everyone up in goofy costumes and tell them to act really weird.

yeah, like in star trek

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

pro-click

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

YoursTruly posted:

I wonder how many of those religions are "genuine" religions vs BG implanted cults. Once the cult/religion is established on Arrakis, any variant on another planet becomes a threat. It's probably easier to subdue, without force, great powers (the Guild, the BG, the Great Houses of the Landsraad) than it is to subdue the religious fanatics of any other backwater planet with nothing to lose.

There’s no evidence that I’m aware of that the BG do this. They don’t invent religions out of whole cloth. They insert their agenda into existing religions and cultures in a more subtle way.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Jewmanji posted:

There’s no evidence that I’m aware of that the BG do this. They don’t invent religions out of whole cloth. They insert their agenda into existing religions and cultures in a more subtle way.

Yeah I got the impression that the majority of their mission was less about inventing religions and more about emphasizing stuff that's already common in many religions like "this mysterious wise woman who knows your ways is different and spiritually powerful and good for you" Less them creating the religions and more them slowly guiding it and educating themselves so they can ingratiate themselves to the peoples' faiths on different worlds easily.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 10, 2021

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

YoursTruly posted:

there were only a few million fremen total and they each had like a thousand-kill quota, plenty hard enough to keep that up when you're not going through the psychic DTs

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Alchenar posted:

It's necessary. If you don't have the budget for big sets

This is an odd comment because the sets were all built from scratch on the largest soundstage in Europe. There are zero location shots in the miniseries. The palace at Arrakeen might have been one of the largest sets ever constructed at the time.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Neo Rasa posted:

Less them creating the religions and more them slowly guiding it and educating themselves so they can ingratiate themselves to the peoples' faiths on different worlds easily.

This is actually a subtle point I hadn't thought deeply about before. A lot of Jessica's skill and talent in the book comes from being highly educated, she talks about recognizing accents and languages and root words, and uses those inferences to work people. Recognizing chakobsa words is how she knows how the ritual should go.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

there were only a few million fremen total and they each had like a thousand-kill quota, plenty hard enough to keep that up when you're not going through the psychic DTs

Daily Fremen Schedule:
Death
Death
Death
Death
Death
Spice Lunch
Death
Death
Death
Coffee Service
Death
Death
Sand Shower….

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Is there a scene in one of the books where a fremen warrior sees a body of water on another planet for the first time and goes crazy? Or am I misremembering it?