Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Surely a Conservative PM wouldn't blow up the entire country to deal with an internal party issue :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
lol I loving love how there's nothing he won't torch to not get a rap on the knuckles

Go Boris go

Now fire the nukes straight up in the air and let them fall like lawn darts across the nation, that'll keep the papers occupied for another four minutes or so!

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

sinky posted:

Surely a Conservative PM wouldn't blow up the entire country to deal with an internal party issue :ohdear:

Yeah normally they blow up other countries

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

SixFigureSandwich posted:

Yeah normally they blow up other countries

That's more of a "Labour PM" kinda thing lately

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Failed Imagineer posted:

Lot of people gonna be having an Imagination Xmas this year

Forget presents at xmas; we've just re-fixed my nan's energy tariff and with a bit of wrangling it's risen £800pa, the default rollover would have been a £2000pa rise.

Fortunately younger members of the family were on hand to a. sort out the best deal (essentially impossible if you don't have the internet, which at 96 she doesn't) and b. have a whip round to foot some of the additional cost.

How many other people won't be so fortunate; if the temperature drops for any significant period people will genuinely freeze this winter.

Can't help but feel all the polling collapses might have an awful lot more to do with hard realities than any awareness of Westminster intrigues

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
i wish they could use some picture, any picture, of bojo that didn't have his nipples showing

it's disgusting. he can go around smuggling peanuts and getting praise and adulation, but when i do it? instantly hated, loathed, for the crime of having perky baps

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

the article posted:

Soubry said she understood the public appointments system because she was involved in picking candidates during the David Cameron-led governments. The policy then was that if candidates “were supporters of the Labour party they would not be appointed”, she said.

"I never thought the leopards would eat my face!"

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
When I were a lad the only time a PM ever made an address to the nation it was to announce their loving off. Praying that those days will again return.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Barry Foster posted:

lol I loving love how there's nothing he won't torch to not get a rap on the knuckles

Go Boris go

Now fire the nukes straight up in the air and let them fall like lawn darts across the nation, that'll keep the papers occupied for another four minutes or so!

"Uhm well the uhm the erm missiles... *harrumphs* Well... well they are flying. Hallelujah. Erm. Hallelujah."

*Messes up hair a bit more, pulls a face*

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Shyrka posted:

Um excuse me I was told I could only fail upwards? Please can this be prioritised?

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Shyrka posted:

Lol holy poo poo theres no connection between actions and consequences for these people is there? Literally blackballing oposition MPs for years, then fucks off out of the party and expects to be treated differently.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

CGI Stardust posted:

i wish they could use some picture, any picture, of bojo that didn't have his nipples showing

it's disgusting. he can go around smuggling peanuts and getting praise and adulation, but when i do it? instantly hated, loathed, for the crime of having perky baps

No wonder the Special Relationship went to poo poo

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Mr Phillby posted:

Lol holy poo poo theres no connection between actions and consequences for these people is there? Literally blackballing oposition MPs for years, then fucks off out of the party and expects to be treated differently.

That's, like, the most fundamental realisation necessary to understand these freaks in particular and neoliberal ideology/politics in general, yea

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Boris-meat

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

https://twitter.com/AngusMacNeilSNP/status/1458175035051491331?s=20

Daily Mail front page for 2 days in a row focusing on Cox not Putrid Minister.

given boris's dodgy links to the BVI that are still under scrutiny by the standards commissioner I'm not sure this is a good strategy; more like somebody else is trying to get what they can definitively prove into print and hope speculation on the rest follows

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/CouncilCulture/status/1458439503555739655

Jonathon Pie writer Andrew Doyle has got a new show on GB News that definitely won't be "HIGNFY but *every* joke is the attack helicopter one".

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
These wokes these days want to cancel everything amirite, also yellow bird puppet had vaccine cancel him!

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Rustybear posted:

Forget presents at xmas; we've just re-fixed my nan's energy tariff and with a bit of wrangling it's risen £800pa, the default rollover would have been a £2000pa rise.

Fortunately younger members of the family were on hand to a. sort out the best deal (essentially impossible if you don't have the internet, which at 96 she doesn't) and b. have a whip round to foot some of the additional cost.

How many other people won't be so fortunate; if the temperature drops for any significant period people will genuinely freeze this winter.

Can't help but feel all the polling collapses might have an awful lot more to do with hard realities than any awareness of Westminster intrigues

had an email from Octopus today saying that my 12 month fixed rate is ending and since the energy market is so volatile the monthly rate for next year is more than double what it is now, then ended by saying if I shopped around I could find a cheaper deal elsewhere lol

at least if it gets too cold I can chuck a match on the outside cladding for a bit of warmth

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Rather than some baroque conspiracy, it seems much more likely that a few people from MdR were tasked with running into him at a pub, going 'hey we're lawyers too,' buying him a few drinks, stifling the looks of concern about how many he's getting through, and then just convincing him he should settle.

Which does make him the perfect centrist candidate, since he strikes me as being entirely gullible and will believe whatever his new friends are telling him. Like the old footage of him at university where he was appearing at pro-palestine gigs and saying things that seemed good. I suspect he was only saying those things because that's what everyone around him was saying.

Now he's surrounded by melts and wreckers, and they're the ones being nice to him, so he's doing that. And because he has no actual ideology apart from "I want to be in charge and it's my turn," he has no answer or rebuttal when Luke Nukem turns up with a foundationally dumb idea dressed in the rhetoric of sounding intelligent. He is essentially a man who's entire political ideology is "oh OK, that sounds good."

Again, if there's any MI5 inflection on his politics it's far more likely that they just got a few undercover spooks to set up a dinner party, invite him to it, and then talk his ear off about how bad the dreaded left are.

Keir Starmer is basically Baldrick in that episode of Blackadder where they try to buy a rotten borough, but as soon as he gets to the commons the whigs take him to one side and tell him how to vote instead.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Keir Starmer is basically Baldrick in that episode of Blackadder where they try to buy a rotten borough, but as soon as he gets to the commons the whigs take him to one side and tell him how to vote instead.

I don't imagine your version of Keith becoming Director of Public Prosecutions, at the very least.
Maybe if you've got some well-connected relatives backers, you can get into Parliament but I imagine DPP is a pretty hard job to get.

I think it's more likely he's a pretty awful person who fits in well with other groups of pretty awful people, like "lawyers who think the Police aren't racist" and "liberals"

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Mr Phillby posted:

Not even MPs. 'Supporters of the Labour Party'.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Looks like Boris' address is going to be about COP, so probably not starting a trade war, today at least.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

kingturnip posted:

I don't imagine your version of Keith becoming Director of Public Prosecutions, at the very least.
Maybe if you've got some well-connected relatives backers, you can get into Parliament but I imagine DPP is a pretty hard job to get.
Reminds me of a song called

keep punching joe posted:

When I were a lad

quote:

When I was a lad I served a term
As office boy to an Attorney's firm.
I cleaned the windows and I swept the floor,
And I polished up the handle of the big front door.

I polished up that handle so carefullee
That now I am the Ruler of the Queen's Navee!

As office boy I made such a mark
That they gave me the post of a junior clerk.
I served the writs with a smile so bland,
And I copied all the letters in a big round hand.

I copied all the letters in a hand so free,

In serving writs I made such a name
That an articled clerk I soon became;
I wore clean collars and a brand-new suit
For the pass examination at the Institute.

That pass examination did so well for me,

Of legal knowledge I acquired such a grip
That they took me into the partnership.
And that junior partnership, I ween,
Was the only ship that I ever had seen.

But that kind of ship so suited me,
That now I am the ruler of the Queen's Navee!

I grew so rich that I was sent
By a pocket borough into Parliament.
I always voted at my party's call,
And I never thought of thinking for myself at all.

I thought so little, they rewarded me
By making me the Ruler of the Queen's Navee!

Now landsmen all, whoever you may be,
If you want to rise to the top of the tree,
If your soul isn't fettered to an office stool,
Be careful to be guided by this golden rule.

Stick close to your desks and never go to sea,
And you all may be rulers of the Queen's Navee!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Jonathon Pie writer Andrew Doyle has got a new show on GB News that definitely won't be "HIGNFY but *every* joke is the attack helicopter one".

Theory of nominative determinism strikes again.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Theory of nominative determinism strikes again.

I can't read his name without hearing it as "You spooky fucken Doyle" in the voice of Peter Beardsley's wife on Athletico Mince.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Two things strike me here:

1) It's another entry on the list of "people who deflect criticism by saying they're actually pretty left wing, just they're the sensible sort of lefty who doesn't like Jeremy Corbyn and then just happen to end up on Gammon TV complaining about the Woke Snowflakes With Their Eighty Genders And Communist Broadband".

2) A selling point of this show is that the news stories are 'infuriating'. The audience actively want to be annoyed by stuff. They want to sit in their homes and have fury beamed into their eye sockets. Madness.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
People love getting angry though

Hence this thread :argh:

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

yeah i mean have you seen twitter

"actively seeking out things to get mad about" is definitely not a vice that the left are immune to nor me

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I'm subscribed to Novara on YouTube, but all their video titles are basically "ANOTHER thing to get MAD about" and I just end up rolling my eyes and scrolling past. My anxiety levels are much more under control since I started doing this in general.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm mad that the cartoon paperclip assumed that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't look for things to get mad about, they just happen at me.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Tarnop posted:

I'm subscribed to Novara on YouTube, but all their video titles are basically "ANOTHER thing to get MAD about" and I just end up rolling my eyes and scrolling past. My anxiety levels are much more under control since I started doing this in general.

Yeah, I was just scrolling through Novara a few minutes ago and was wondering to myself what actual benefit I'd get from watching any more of their stuff.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Pistol_Pete posted:

Yeah, I was just scrolling through Novara a few minutes ago and was wondering to myself what actual benefit I'd get from watching any more of their stuff.

A few others that i watch/watched have turned into copy & paste click merchants, "A Different Bias" is probably the sanest one i still watch.
Though even he does the odd bit of deflection.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Hahahahahaha

He actually said this.

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1458481558524936199

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Tarnop posted:

Johnson DESTROYED by Starmer's quick thinking!! *bastani doing the youtube face*

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
No, I agree with Boris! The UK is not corrupt. Massive foreign money laundering, tax haven shenanigans and MPs being paid by companies on whose interests they'll later vote are all entirely legal - ergo, not corrupt!

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

My previous stance on Novara has been that Bastani has about 90% good takes and then the rest is melt poo poo, usually around giving some Tory MPs the benefit of the doubt or similar. Walker is about the same, and Ash has been consistently sound... until she wrote (or interviewed?) for Unherd the other day.

And yes, I've noticed the awful clickbait titles. Haven't watched any of their vids since shortly after the election. Now I'm basically done with them.

Speaking of melts:

This could be interesting. I wonder if there's actually been any reflection from the Kimono Killer, or if he's still just fundamentally a comfortable liberal (I know what my money's on). Still, his work with the Good Law Project does seem to be actually good, and he's also very good on trans rights, so I never fully know what to think of him.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Nov 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
https://twitter.com/AngelaRayner/status/1458482674981646340

*Heavy sigh*