Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Mr. Pardiggle posted:

Is it worse or about the same with making you sign in with a MS account and having to disable all the weird privacy things? Thinking of jumping to 11 but I can only image they have more things that you’re default opted into.

Pretty much the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Well, I've loosely followed this thread, but I'm due to install a new SSD for primary boot drive anyway, so maybe it's win 11 time.

Any must-knows that I might not have seen? Looks like StartAllBack is good, but 5 bucks?

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Deviant posted:

Looks like StartAllBack is good, but 5 bucks?

Use Win11 without for a few days, then install SAB for the 30-day eval, and those $5 will seem like a no-brainer.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

What's their obsession with focusing on touch anyway?

People are doing cancer research and designing spacecraft on touchscreens because I saw them doing it on a tv commercial.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Deviant posted:

Any must-knows that I might not have seen? Looks like StartAllBack is good, but 5 bucks?

Remember that you paid ten dollars for the privilege of being called a tightwad and a doo-doohead by yours truly

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Deviant posted:

Well, I've loosely followed this thread, but I'm due to install a new SSD for primary boot drive anyway, so maybe it's win 8 time.

I made a small alteration to your post to provide an analogy from the Windows 7 days.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Deviant posted:

Well, I've loosely followed this thread, but I'm due to install a new SSD for primary boot drive anyway, so maybe it's win 11 time.

I mean the taskbar thing is at worst mildly inconvenient. People are having meltdowns over it on the feedback hub tho so I expect buttons not grouping will be added later as an option.

It's overall better than w10 performance and feature wise.

E: Just checked the Ungroup Taskbar Buttons feedback post and the official reply from MS is perfect:

"We really appreciate the time you took to share this feedback with us. We've detected you're sharing multiple problems and/or suggestions within a single feedback entry. Please resubmit your feedback such that each problem and/or suggestion has its own feedback entry."

yeah annoying isn't it?!

Vic fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Nov 10, 2021

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Vic posted:

[citation needed]

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
They removed way more features than just taskbar grouping, though. Without StartAllBack, I wouldn't be able to have my taskbars at the sides of the screen. I'm already lacking in horizontal space, I don't want a bottom taskbar taking up screen real estate.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Vic posted:

I mean the taskbar thing is at worst mildly inconvenient. People are having meltdowns over it on the feedback hub tho so I expect buttons not grouping will be added later as an option.

E: Just checked the Ungroup Taskbar Buttons feedback post and the official reply from MS is perfect:

"We really appreciate the time you took to share this feedback with us. We've detected you're sharing multiple problems and/or suggestions within a single feedback entry. Please resubmit your feedback such that each problem and/or suggestion has its own feedback entry."

yeah annoying isn't it?!

The number of 'inconveniences' that MS has introduced to Windows over the years has stacked up to the point where Windows itself is nothing but an inconvenience that now requires an increasingly large stack of third party software and specific configurations to make it do what Windows 7 did better. If I'd make a list of all the 'minor inconveniences' Windows has introduced over the years as opposed to just making a checkbox in a settings panel somewhere, I'd probably hit the character limit on posts.

But at least we have round corners and HDR support I guess.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Nov 10, 2021

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I'm mad about the taskbar too, and have been using r-hand taskbar since 16:9 monitors became a standard.

But it's a minor thing not a dealbreaker for me and I expect that to be added later :shrug:.

Between that and win11 getting rid of 20gb bloat, storage sense, better search, getting rid of the w8 like start menu and better settings panel I'd say it's an upgrade.

I never really had a big problem with windows since XP (obv skipped vista and 8) and slight changes to my workflow never took me more than a few days to get used to. I'm using a lot of keyboard shortcuts tho.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Windows 11 is on a yearly feature update cycle, so you'll have to wait a year for new features like a movable taskbar (if they even add that, current Insider builds do not offer that feature). It's not a minor thing to me at all.

The new start menu is a significant regression from the Windows 10 menu, it's terribad. Especially the wasted space at the bottom for "recent files" that can't be configured away.

Windows 10 and 11 seem to use the same amount of space, search is just as bad in 11 and Storage Sense is a 10 feature.

The Settings panel isn't really better, I find it to be way more annoying to use because everything is broken out into individual sections and the list will jump back to the top when you press the back button.

Basically, the only new Windows 11 feature I like is having native DNS-over-HTTPS.

Also, let's not even talk about the dumb half-baked new context menu. How do you even ship something like that in a final product.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Nov 10, 2021

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The company I work for is just finishing up a massive upgrade of its entire IT infrastructure, so since the first insider build dropped I've been using 7, 10 and 11 on a daily basis, and other than the taskbar I'm curious as to what these apparent unceasing issues are that I'm not having.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yes, the many UI regressions are why people don't like Windows 11. Under the hood, it's just another version of Windows 10, albeit a bit slower at the moment.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Nov 10, 2021

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Speaking of UI regression, it's annoying that I used to be able to right-click anywhere on the taskbar to open the task manager and now it's only on the Windows button.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
Windows 11 has improved the quality of my erections.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Less Fat Luke posted:

Speaking of UI regression, it's annoying that I used to be able to right-click anywhere on the taskbar to open the task manager and now it's only on the Windows button.

We should just put StartAllBack in the thread title and OP. Sorts out most niggles.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

WattsvilleBlues posted:

We should just put StartAllBack in the thread title and OP.

:yeah:

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

It's there a solid winner between StartAllBack, Start11, and Open-Shell/Classic Shell?

Also, does StartAllBack really cost money or is it a WinRAR situation?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Less Fat Luke posted:

yeah that annoyed me too, yet another thing fixed by startallback though

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Heran Bago posted:

It's there a solid winner between StartAllBack, Start11, and Open-Shell/Classic Shell?

Tbh, idk! 😜 Seriously, though, I didn’t remotely get to the end of trial, it was $5 and made such a difference I paid for it after like six days. It’s that much of a difference to me.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Heran Bago posted:

Start11 is really lacking in taskbar features and doesn't respect certain Windows settings (like having animations disabled globally, the start menu will always open with an animation), it's not a good option at this point in time. Maybe in a few months.

DerekSmartymans posted:

Tbh, idk! 😜 Seriously, though, I didn’t remotely get to the end of trial, it was $5 and made such a difference I paid for it after like six days. It’s that much of a difference to me.

Very much the same, StartAllBack is essential.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I've been trying to diagnose those audio glitches that appeared with Windows 11, and this time around, I came across a whole lot of people being convinced that the fTPM on AMD CPUs causes this and disabling it fixes it.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Seems unlikely. What audio glitches are you experiencing?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Fame Douglas posted:

Seems unlikely. What audio glitches are you experiencing?
Sounds like occasional buffer underruns, where the last buffer loops like 3-4 times, before it catches up and continues playing. It's been an issue since the very first Windows 11 build I've used (22000.51 or whatever). That didn't happen on Windows 10. I hoped that it's just a development thing that'll eventually go away. But so far not.

I'm not getting any DPC/ISR latency spikes in LatencyMon, so it's not the NVidia driver (or any other) being a pain in the rear end.

I'm currently running fTPM off to see whether that does something.

Other people are convinced that it's G-Sync being enabled, so v:shobon:v

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

So far, I haven't noticed no more glitches of the kind I'm complaining about, since I turned fTPM off.

(Then again, it's probably gonna happen when I hit submit, like always when I'm posting about resolving an issue.)

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Annoying W11 thing #12462: Sometimes the log-in screen straight-up won't show up when I spacebar past the time and date. Just shows the background. Restart fixes it, though.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I set up a new-in-box Win 11 Lenovo. Holy gently caress was that annoying. Im already not wanting to ever do it again.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone noticed it restarting mpvy itself much more frequently? Several times now I've found the tablet that I left sleeping has rebooted even though I managed to get Win10 to not do that randomly any more

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
My laptop is now like that tv in Poltergeist.

I turn off the monitor and it's back on in 3. Turn it off and it's back on again. Then it does this bright flash of light.

It used to do the random wakes on w10, sometimes with a jitter like it was a CRT getting degaussed. The flash of light, without turning on is all new in 11.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)
Will I have any issues installing this next to an existing Ubuntu partition?

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
well last night I went and did it, primary machine now runs Win11. had some initial hang-ups due to some UI fuckery that I hadn't fully uninstalled before the upgrade, but nuking all of that and replacing it with StartAllBack has been pretty solid so far :toot:

shouts out to the devs for throwing a bone to StartIsBack users, it recognized my license key immediately after installing and offered a discounted upgrade to StartAllBack. I'd have happily paid full price honestly

barnold fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Nov 15, 2021

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Im gonna test out linux for a bit. Windows 11 is just too locked down for my tastes.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

speaking of Linux, I was so happy to find GUI apps working in WSL2. And then I realized that literally every one of them I would want to use except maybe Shotwell already had a native Windows version.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

redeyes posted:

Im gonna test out linux for a bit. Windows 11 is just too locked down for my tastes.

I'd suggest a KDE spin of a major distro like OpenSUSE or Fedora (I run the former).

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I love the new terminal. I don't love the hoops you have to jump through to put things like python on your loving terminal.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'd suggest a KDE spin of a major distro like OpenSUSE or Fedora (I run the former).

I have an nvidia gfx.. I read maybe Mint or Manjaro might be best for this but I don't know for sure.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Sickening posted:

I love the new terminal. I don't love the hoops you have to jump through to put things like python on your loving terminal.
You write python and it opens store to install. What hoops?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

redeyes posted:

I have an nvidia gfx.. I read maybe Mint or Manjaro might be best for this but I don't know for sure.

It really doesn't make a difference, pretty much all popular distributions have an easy menu for installing proprietary drivers. The biggest difference is between rolling release distributions where you're always getting the latest applications and kernels (including drivers) like opensuse thumbleweed and ones with fixed releases that backport fixes to older versions (like opensuse leap, Ubuntu/Kubuntu etc.). The latter ones have worse support for new hardware than rolling release distributions and, of course, older versions of applications.

Fedora is a hybrid of both systems, rolling and fixed releases.

I'd also suggest a distribution with KDE, it's a way better desktop environment than the rest.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Nov 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Fame Douglas posted:

It really doesn't make a difference, pretty much all popular distributions have an easy menu for installing proprietary drivers. The biggest difference is between rolling release distributions where you're always getting the latest applications and kernels (including drivers) like opensuse thumbleweed and ones with fixed releases that backport fixes to older versions (like opensuse leap, Ubuntu/Kubuntu etc.). The latter ones have worse support for new hardware than rolling release distributions and, of course, older versions of applications.

Fedora is a hybrid of both systems, rolling and fixed releases.

I'd also suggest a distribution with KDE, it's a way better desktop environment than the rest.

I've run both LEAP (point release) and Tumbleweed (rolling release), and while both work great for me the odds of a mismatch in kernel and Nvidia drivers seemed a little more likely to happen on Tumbleweed than LEAP. It never meant more than a couple days lag time in my experience, and I could just boot the previous kernel and be fine, but it was a minor annoyance.