Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Synthbuttrange posted:

The first two issues set up a lot of big things that it was hard to pay off, then its last issue got cut off and sold as a standalone event issue?

Basically. But if you were reading it monthly it works out okay, It's just weird titling issues that I don't understand. Was it not selling well? Did people not buying Way of X buy the standalone that would probably be super confusing to people who hadn't read Way of X?

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Nov 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I assume there’s enough Onslaught nostalgia that it sold better than issue #5 of Way of X, with a percentage of people not knowing it was a continuation of that book. It’s also possible that Si wanted more pages to finish his story, and it would be easier to justify with a one shot instead of the usual downward slope of an ongoing.

I think it was a smart move. Made it feel like the third prong in the “Everything is going wrong” hype when Trial of Magneto and Inferno were being advertised.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

Sandwolf posted:

Don’t miss Planet Size X-Men

Seconded. Esp if you are any kind of a Magneto fan.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

If someone admits to having nostalgia for Onslaught it's ban on sight tbh. :blastu:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

JordanKai posted:

If someone admits to having nostalgia for Onslaught it's ban on sight tbh. :blastu:

What if I'm nostalgic for the Onslaught boss fight from Marvel Vs Capcom?

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the official line from hickman is that he built the sand castle and had plans for how to kick it over. however, everyone loved the sand castle so its inevitable destruction has been delayed indefinitely. sooner or later some boring rear end in a top hat is going to send the x-men back to westchester, but for now krakoa isn't going anywhere.

Yeah, he said that he had things planned out as a 3 arc story, but everyone was so into the first arc that he just kinda went "ok, then, since no one but me is interested in moving forward, I guess i'm leaving?" Like he did with "all hope lies in Doom", 100% "the X-Men always lose" was where things were going to end up.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

What if I'm nostalgic for the Onslaught boss fight from Marvel Vs Capcom?

Or the action figure.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Open Marriage Night posted:

Or the action figure.

Or the great comic book storyline.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

The losers from the X-Men poll are going to be in their own book called Secret X-Men in February.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

It's just a one-shot, but it's still cool.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Ok this comic is taking the piss right? It has to be & I am enjoying it way too much

Spoilers for X-MEN UNLIMITED: INFINITY COMIC ISSUE #10 & #11

Xavier and his "Charley Horse" practically falling into Magneto's arms? Sauron and Black Mamba having a moment?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Time to drop Excalibur I think. I've held on because I love the team but I cannot bring myself to care or bother with the story. It's just not my thing.

But hasbro please hurry the gently caress up and give me a legends Cap'n Betsy.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Sloth Life posted:

Ok this comic is taking the piss right? It has to be & I am enjoying it way too much

I'm digging it too, and you left out Wolverine stabbing himself not once but twice. Gerry Duggan has been doing good work lately.

Hope nobody lands in the hole when it's all done!

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Regarding Hellions, is Orphan Maker an accelerated growth child or an developmentally arrested adult? Either way, should be interesting to see what happens when Krakoan legal policy runs headlong into the X-Men's propensity for sending unstable personalities into highly volatile combat situations

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I think Orphan Maker's gonna go in the hole and it's going to be very upsetting. :(

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

OnimaruXLR posted:

Regarding Hellions, is Orphan Maker an accelerated growth child or an developmentally arrested adult? Either way, should be interesting to see what happens when Krakoan legal policy runs headlong into the X-Men's propensity for sending unstable personalities into highly volatile combat situations

Orphan-Maker had only been in about a dozen issues of X-Factor and X-Men before Hellions, so he hasn't gotten a lot of attention in terms of character development until now. Maybe even the Simonsons themselves don't have a clear idea of what Orphan-Maker's deal is.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Whoever mentioned how dark last month's Hellions was, I would recommend that they skip today's issue.

This book is very very well written.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

JordanKai posted:

Orphan-Maker had only been in about a dozen issues of X-Factor and X-Men before Hellions, so he hasn't gotten a lot of attention in terms of character development until now. Maybe even the Simonsons themselves don't have a clear idea of what Orphan-Maker's deal is.

He was also in a few issues of Generation X, but yeah, his entire publication history prior to Hellions was 14 comics over 20 years and his deal hasn't really been explained.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
To my (admittedly limited) knowledge, Orphan-Maker's whole deal is that he is a mutant whose powers are/will be ridiculously dangerous in some unspecified way; assume he has, like, Kill-All-Life-On-Earth Vision or some poo poo. Nanny has arrested his development by putting him in the Orphan-Maker armor, which stops his aging and so prevents him from reaching the level of maturity at which his powers will manifest.

What that says about his development is... kinda fuzzy; he's always been portrayed as childish, but whether that's because he's being kept a literal child or because that's simply how Nanny has always socialized him is sort of up in the air. Mix in the wildcard factor of 'died in Otherworld, came back Different' and honestly, any guess is as good as any other.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I think Nanny has kept him emotionally stunted. It's unclear how old Orphan-Maker really is, too.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
hellions is the only time he's ever been more than a one-off villain. so, the specifics of what's going on with orphan maker were never explained. even the bit about his mutant power being too terrible to allow to manifest came from hellions.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i do appreciate that hellions has acknowledged that nanny is a person stuck in a hosed up cyber suit and not an egg person. why is she back in a copy of that suit after having died? because that's the way she likes it.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

hellions is the only time he's ever been more than a one-off villain. so, the specifics of what's going on with orphan maker were never explained. even the bit about his mutant power being too terrible to allow to manifest came from hellions.
Kind of? In the conclusion of the plotline that introduces them (X-Factor #40) Nanny says that Orphan-Maker was in one of Mister Sinister's orphanages and he determined that Peter was "too potentially dangerous... too uncontrollable even to be a Marauder" and so Sinister planned to destroy him before Nanny rescued him and "found a way to help me... to keep me from growing into what I would have become."

So at least the notion that Nanny was somehow protecting Peter/the world from his mutant powers was baked in pretty early, but never really developed.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Did they ever explain what the Otherworld Deaths did to you. Other than being a convenient Reboot button?

They made it sound like you would be multiversally unique or something.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
They didn't elaborate and then just totally dropped the characters who suffered from it because who gives a poo poo about following up right?

no I'm not still mad about Rockslide why do you ask

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
It's a cool secret and I hope they don't reveal it ever, although at some point some writer might be like , "AND IT'S WOLVERINE'S FARTS LOL" or something.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I thought it was a setup for a heel turn of one of the main good guys (dies in OW, comes back evil)

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I just expect it's like that kid in the Ultimate story where he wakes up one day and no one's around because his mutation is to exude death rays that completely breakdown human dna or something. It's a coin toss as to which of being stuck in a containment suit and having to hang around Nanny forever or getting to hang with Wolverine and drink a six pack before he puts you out of your misery is the better option.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

Did they ever explain what the Otherworld Deaths did to you. Other than being a convenient Reboot button?

They made it sound like you would be multiversally unique or something.

Rockslide seems to be starting over from a blank slate, and Gorgon was briefly shown having a panic attack in Way of X, though that was at least partially induced by Fabian Cortez amping his telepathy in a public setting.

That said, didn't the Hellions die in Arrako (or the demon dimension it was in at the time), not Otherworld? I know they noted it still affected their resurrection process, but I had assumed it wasn't as severe as Rockslide or Gorgon's deal.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

glitchwraith posted:

I had assumed it wasn't as severe as Rockslide or Gorgon's deal.

You assumed correctly. And it got easily reversed by Tarn, eventually. There's a world of difference between reborning way more aggressively and being reborn from a complete empty slate because your mind backup got corrupted.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
tarn's such an arrogant shithead that i'm really looking forward to him getting a proper comeuppance. storm making him admit defeat in a duel isn't nearly enough.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

glitchwraith posted:

That said, didn't the Hellions die in Arrako (or the demon dimension it was in at the time), not Otherworld? I know they noted it still affected their resurrection process, but I had assumed it wasn't as severe as Rockslide or Gorgon's deal.

Only Nanny, Wild Child, and Orphan-Maker (and I guess Sinister) died in Amenth/Arakko. A new Sinister killed the rest as soon as they got back to Krakoa, so they didn't experience any change.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

And Tarn only undid Wild Child's thingo, Nanny and OM are still otherworld'd.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

It is fun to see oddball characters like those getting some good material and love here. And yet, the raddest dude of the 90s Gambit, mon ami, does not get any good material lately I hear, in Excalibur etc. So we gotta get Gambit in on some stuff, so he can be in the hearts and minds of the fans at least in the same league with Nanny and Orphan-Maker. It's Gambit time.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
in theory having a tricky dude around would be nice for all the fae bullshit excalibur has to deal with, but that's not really how the book has gone.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

in theory having a tricky dude around would be nice for all the fae bullshit excalibur has to deal with, but that's not really how the book has gone.

In fact, I'll say it's been gone literally nowhere and it's had 25 issues to do so. The plot has no apparent planning whatsoever, key points keep being thrown around and discarded just as fast, and much like X-Corp everyone talks like robots.

The only saving grace that kept me reading was the pretty art, but I think I'm checking out now.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Heavy Metal posted:

It is fun to see oddball characters like those getting some good material and love here. And yet, the raddest dude of the 90s Gambit, mon ami, does not get any good material lately I hear, in Excalibur etc. So we gotta get Gambit in on some stuff, so he can be in the hearts and minds of the fans at least in the same league with Nanny and Orphan-Maker. It's Gambit time.

Mr. and Mrs. X was really good.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I'd definitively read a Kelly Thompson Excalibur.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Dawgstar posted:

Mr. and Mrs. X was really good.

The writing was great but oh god the art was so bad some issues it really killed my enjoyment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I read All of the Marvels last week and I'd recommend it. It's a book length recounting of Wolk's takeaways from reading every Marvel comic. There's nothing that won't be familiar to the Marvel fans in this thread but as a critical evaluation of the idea of Marvel as a singular fictional universe and how their comics have responded to social changes since the 60s it's a good read. Wolk also manages to spotlight interesting Marvel comics from every era and added a few things to my reading list (Priest's Black Panther, the original Shang Chi comics).

I think the really big miss for me is that a lot of Marvel comics authors have interesting political approaches in them, such as Nocenti's work being inspired by Chomsky or Ewing's takes on inclusivity and gender identities, and it doesn't dive into that but I suspect that if one really wanted to tackle that it'd be a different book.

On the other hand, Wolk makes the point that every Marvel comic, even the absolute trash, has something about it that rewards the reader. I think this is a great critical approach to take when doing something like reading through decades of Iron Man or any Fantastic Four issues not associated with Kirby or Hickman.

Anyways, I've read some good Marvel stuff recently, particularly Starlin's original Warlock comics from the character's pre-Starlin inception until his battle with the Magus and I love how radically different it was from its contemporaries and how you can feel Starlin struggling against the corporate figureheads through the page.