Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Balloon Time Hooray!
Apr 18, 2007
Maybe you're not an ugly human being but a good looking ape... with exceptional verbal skills.

Balloon Time Hooray! posted:

Thinking about upgrading from my current build, replacing both my main PC (for work at home, gaming, amateur streaming/video editing) and reusing the older parts to replace an even older Phenom II PC I've been using as a HTPC/emulation machine in the living room. I'd be carrying over a bunch of stuff from the existing build to the new PC, including the case SSD & HDD, and GPU. I also just have some extra parts around (a Silverstone ml07B case, a Dark Rock Pro 3 cooler), so using those to save on cost would be cool.

Existing PC:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor (Purchased For $0.00)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V 86.15 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (Purchased For $0.00)
CPU Cooler: EVGA CLC 120 CL11 58.87 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (Purchased For $0.00)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard (Purchased For $0.00)
Memory: Patriot Signature 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3-1600 CL11 Memory (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Intel 730 Series 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Crucial BX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB AERO Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S Mini ITX Desktop Case (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: Silverstone SFX 450 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $0.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-11-05 13:34 EDT-0400

I've modified the the GPU cooling with the EVGA C11 cooler and a Kraken bracket to replace the blower which was crazy loud, when I realized I might be stuck with this card for awhile. I'm happy enough with its performance that I don't feel the need to upgrade with the GPUpocalypse going on, so that'll carry over.

So here's the plan :

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor ($300.00)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler (Purchased For $0.00)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Neo Forza FAYE 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($99.99 @ Newegg Sellers)
Storage: Western Digital WD_BLACK SN750 SE 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB AERO Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S Mini ITX Desktop Case (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS 650 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($68.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $668.96
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-11-05 13:45 EDT-0400

and the old stuff in the HTPC:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor (Purchased For $0.00)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V 86.15 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (Purchased For $0.00)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard (Purchased For $0.00)
Memory: Patriot Signature 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3-1600 CL11 Memory (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Intel 730 Series 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4 GB GAMING Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: Silverstone SFX 450 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $0.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-11-05 13:25 EDT-0400

(includes a SIlverstone ML07B case I have sitting in the garage)

Anything seem awry? I suppose I could wait for better deals but the price drop at Microcenter on the 5800x is tempting. Looking at the reviews, the 5800x trades blows with the 12600k in a lot of tasks, is much more power efficient and is overall a cheaper platform. Regardless I'm sure I'll see a massive bump going from the 4690k. I don't need the latest and greatest since I'm sticking with the 1080 anyway. Also not entirely sure what I'll do with my old Phenom build.

Edit: It looks like the Dark Rock Pro 3 I have would need a AM4 bracket, and might not even fit with my GPU cooling on the rear, so now I'm looking at a 280 AIO to mount in the front. The EVGA 280 CLC looks pretty well regarded and good value for ~$80 on amazon

No one replied, so I went ahead and did it since it must've not been blatantly offensive to anybody. Got it to post on the first try, so that's nice.

I did run into a couple unanticipated issues,
  • I should've gone with a SFX power supply with this case, the AIO cooler hoses come out vertically and push against the PSU underneath, so the GPU PCB is bending under the stress since there's just not quite enough clearance. It was really tough to get it in, but it's plugged in fully and screwed in, so ok.
  • Second, I got an AM4 mounting bracket for my dark rock pro 3, and when tightening the mount, I heard a crack. It crushed and broke some of what I'm assuming are VRM heatsinks. Highlighted in red are the two affected areas with the approximate area that broke off, which were chunks of metal. I took off the cooler off and got the chunks out, which were resting on the cpu/socket. The VRMs (lighter parts in the middle) themselves looked unaffected, so I decided to put the cooler back on and give it a try anyway because the damage had been done, and it seemed to work regardless. So maybe should've gone with a different cooler for this board, and I'm going to have to monitor the MB temps I suppose since those heatsinks are compromised

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Ended up picking up a Lancool II Mesh. Seems to have pretty good reviews, and was only $80 on Woot (+$6 shipping).

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh
How are Gigabyte's Intel motherboards? I recall hearing about an issue with a bad bunch of power supplies, and some complaints about their RMA process, but I can't tell if they're valid issues or just that people with bad experiences are more likely to talk about them. I was considering the Z690 AORUS ELITE AX DDR4 for an Alder Lake build so I was curious.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Cabbages and Kings posted:

quick question, which I hope I am overthinking.

I have a Corsair RM750 PSU in a gaming PC currently running a 3080.

I have a Corsair RM850x in a box, to be put in that PC to support an upgrade to a 3090.

The RM750 and RM850x appear to have identical outs. My question is:

Is it probably fine to disconnect the power feeds from the RM750, swap in the RMX850, and connect the same power cords I have been using on the RM750?

I'm guessing they are identical-ish parts. This would spare me significant de-snaking and de-ziptieing of power cords and probably cut the time to do this in half.

The 750 will then go in a Core i5 box with the 3080, and I will use the cords from the 850 there.

RM750:

RM850x:

Butterfly Valley posted:

You're not overthinking it because loving around with PSU cables can destroy your PC and the answer in most cases would be an absolute no.

However, I've specifically checked Corsair's website in the past for info about this subject, and they have a chart which lists the intercompatibility of their PSU cables. In my specific instance I would have been fine swapping the SF600 for the SF750 without changing the cables over, but you should absolutely go and find that chart and check for yourself because it depends on the age and model of the PSU.

This is fascinating. I would have looked at those identical back panels and instantly swapped without thinking about it (or at least told someone else to do that, maybe if my $2000 worth of parts were on the line I would be more paranoid)

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
yeah it's genuinely one of the dumbest things about pc building and almost completely undercuts some significant fraction of the appeal of a modular power supply in the first place, lol.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

pairofdimes posted:

How are Gigabyte's Intel motherboards? I recall hearing about an issue with a bad bunch of power supplies, and some complaints about their RMA process, but I can't tell if they're valid issues or just that people with bad experiences are more likely to talk about them. I was considering the Z690 AORUS ELITE AX DDR4 for an Alder Lake build so I was curious.

That's at least a different audio chip, the one on my Aorus Z590 pops on start up and wake up. Their software is kind of poo poo, their app center continually tries to install Norton. Otherwise, not completely terrible?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

All motherboard software is poo poo so that's kind of a wash

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Rinkles posted:

Ended up picking up a Lancool II Mesh. Seems to have pretty good reviews, and was only $80 on Woot (+$6 shipping).

Never heard of “Woot;” is it like “Wish” or “AliExpress?” Both of which apps I have and use to buy weird tech poo poo with LEDs and non-essential or non-important stuff. Some stuff is like Christmas in August because it shows up three months late but only cost $3 six months ago (like some Japanese screwdrivers specifically for pulling apart an old Toshiba laptop). I had forgotten I even ordered them, but I was able to use both 4GB RAM chips to bump my Dell from 6->8GB. Now I just need to find a compatible SSD because I’d forgotten what “boot speed” was and my 5400 HDD in the laptop is torturous waiting on Windows boot…

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Woot is owned by Amazon and offers rotating daily deals

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

change my name posted:

Woot is owned by Amazon and offers rotating daily deals

Neat! I’ll look it up then!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The Lancool II doesn't come with a back fan, I'm guessing that's something I should rectify?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yes you should definitely have a rear exhaust fan

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes you should definitely have a rear exhaust fan

Got suggestions for something cheap but effective?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Dang, that's a good deal. Yeah, I'd put the Lancool II Mesh a tier above the P400A and 4000D Airflow, but it's usually around $120 so I didn't mention it.

edit: Get an arctic P12.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Alarbus posted:

That's at least a different audio chip, the one on my Aorus Z590 pops on start up and wake up. Their software is kind of poo poo, their app center continually tries to install Norton. Otherwise, not completely terrible?

Thanks, I guess if you don't notice your motherboard that's a good sign.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

edit: Get an arctic P12.

PWM or regular?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Rinkles posted:

PWM or regular?

PWM. Not sure what kind the Lancool II Mesh ships with but PWM enables you to finely tune fan speeds with a fan curve.

edit: The RGB version of the Lancool II Mesh uses 3-pin fans. That uses DC voltage control to control fan speed in three stages. I guess PWM on the exhaust fan would be unnecessary then, but if it's just a buck more, then you may as well.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Nov 10, 2021

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Gamers Nexus pointed this out but if you're looking to build a Ryzen system, the 5800x is on sale for $330 at Micro Center right now. It's also like $360-380 on Amazon.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Alarbus posted:

Is this the Elite or the Pro? Cause apparently the Pro, which is the more premium model, has thermal issues, and maybe some kind of defect. I was considering picking up the Pro, because it's discounted on Amazon.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
My faithful but crusty old PC (an i7-860 system from ibuypower that was a Black Friday special in 2009) is getting increasingly unstable. I'm old now and not into building my own stuff anymore. I read the material about prebuilts in the OP, but I'm still leaning in that direction. Basically I'd like a desktop that is capable of midrange or at least light gaming, plus the usual office tasks. I want what I think everyone wants from a prebuilt: A) a decent case, with reasonably solid, standardized (replaceable/serviceable) components, with parts that actually meet their claimed specs; B) everything competently assembled and configured, with OS installed so it's ready out of the box; and C) lack of bloatware or spyware or weird proprietary poo poo. Does anyone have a system builder they can recommend? I'm not necessarily looking for the rock bottom cheapest system, I'm willing to pay a little more if it actually gets me quality components and assembly.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Number_6 posted:

My faithful but crusty old PC (an i7-860 system from ibuypower that was a Black Friday special in 2009) is getting increasingly unstable. I'm old now and not into building my own stuff anymore. I read the material about prebuilts in the OP, but I'm still leaning in that direction. Basically I'd like a desktop that is capable of midrange or at least light gaming, plus the usual office tasks. I want what I think everyone wants from a prebuilt: A) a decent case, with reasonably solid, standardized (replaceable/serviceable) components, with parts that actually meet their claimed specs; B) everything competently assembled and configured, with OS installed so it's ready out of the box; and C) lack of bloatware or spyware or weird proprietary poo poo. Does anyone have a system builder they can recommend? I'm not necessarily looking for the rock bottom cheapest system, I'm willing to pay a little more if it actually gets me quality components and assembly.

B will be the biggest issue. Everyone seems to gently caress up to some extent on a relatively frequent basis, and things can come loose in shipping. There are ultra expensive prebuilts like Falcon Northwest that presumably do better, but you're paying more than a little more for them. For everyone else (and probably even Falcon Northwest and similar expensive SIs), I'd double check their work upon receiving the system and make sure that everything is seated properly, no loose connections, no loose screws, etc, before turning the system on.

With that said, I'd look at systems with an RTX 3060 or 3060 Ti in them, like this one: https://www.newegg.com/abs-ali570/p/N82E16883360205

ABS is newegg's house brand. I've seen some positive reviews of them, and some goons have been happy with their systems, but I've also seen some reports of loose cables and that kind of thing from time to time. They use standard off-the-shelf components (though the motherboards typically have a slightly altered product code that makes flashing their bios more difficult than it needs to be), and there's no bloatware that I'm aware of. I would trust them over ibuypower.

I've also heard good things about Skytech. It looks like you can use their custom gaming PC configurator to build a PC with a 3060 for less than $1500. I'd recommend for your purposes the Mark V with an Intel i5 11400 CPU, one of the mesh cases, the Hyper 212 CPU cooler (the dark rock coolers would be quieter if that's what you want), the Asus Prime B560-Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3600, the RTX 3060 or 3060 Ti (The 3060 can run everything out right now at 1080p smoothly, while the 3060 Ti can do 1440p more reliably than the non-Ti), and leave everything else the same. That comes out to $1448 to $1548. This is actually more reasonable than I was expecting. It's about $50 more than equivalent ABS prebuilts, but you're getting a bigger SSD, which makes up for that added cost. And the build quality seems pretty decent based on the reviews I've seen.

edit: That ABS PC actually just dropped in price slightly and I did my math wrong anyway like an idiot. ABS is a decent bit cheaper than Skytech. Impressions of ABS' prebuilts have been generally positive but not glowing. It's a bit hard to justify a $1450 PC with a 3060, but it's easier to justify a $1550 3060 Ti PC (There's nothing on Newegg that matches that at the moment). So the Skytech with a 3060 Ti still gets my vote for a fairly powerful midrange gaming PC.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Nov 10, 2021

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Is this the Elite or the Pro? Cause apparently the Pro, which is the more premium model, has thermal issues, and maybe some kind of defect. I was considering picking up the Pro, because it's discounted on Amazon.

I have the Z590 Aorus Pro AX because it came with the newegg bundle, I was comparing it to the Z690 the OP asked about. I'm not super thrilled with it, I was really happy with the Asrock on my old 8700k.

I'll have to check that video out. As a result of needing to trade in my office for a nursery, I'm in ye olde basemente with a much cooler environment, so hopefully I have extra free cooling.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Alarbus posted:

I have the Z590 Aorus Pro AX because it came with the newegg bundle, I was comparing it to the Z690 the OP asked about. I'm not super thrilled with it, I was really happy with the Asrock on my old 8700k.

I'll have to check that video out. As a result of needing to trade in my office for a nursery, I'm in ye olde basemente with a much cooler environment, so hopefully I have extra free cooling.

According to Hardware Unboxed it had higher temps than even the Gigabyte UD, which is like two tiers below. And then there's the buildzoid video, but I'm not sure if it's a major issue in normal use cases.

The amount of USB 3 ports it has is nice, at least. It's 40% off on Amazon, making it cost as little as the UD.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Nov 10, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The Z690 Aorus Pro appears to have fixed the thermal problems, and Buildzoid quite likes it, actually (though mainly for overclocking reasons):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0pluVy5EFg

The Aorus Elite appears to be very similar to that but with maybe a couple overclocking features missing. It's probably decent, though I'm not sure what exactly it's doing that, say, an MSI Pro Z690-A won't do for $50 cheaper.

homeless
Jan 2, 2005
not so much
I get manic after ordering parts, ugh. I posted a Ryzen 5600x build which I got excellent feedback, one thing I noticed is that I ordered 3600MHz CL18 memory instead of CL16 or lower. Is that a big performance tradeoff? If not, any fuckery needed besides setting an XMP profile?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

homeless posted:

I get manic after ordering parts, ugh. I posted a Ryzen 5600x build which I got excellent feedback, one thing I noticed is that I ordered 3600MHz CL18 memory instead of CL16 or lower. Is that a big performance tradeoff? If not, any fuckery needed besides setting an XMP profile?

Yeah I feel bad about maybe posting too much in this thread, but these are expensive things and I would like to make sure I'm not making mistakes.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
don't feel bad? this is the pc building thread u can post all you want about building pcs. it's great.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
as for cl 16 v 18 the 16 will perform a small amount better but i don't think not to a significant degree, and it might be viable to tighten up the timings depending on what kinda ram you get, there's a whole rabbit hole to go down with a for purpose timings calculator tool.

you can go lookup 16 v 18 here and there.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

homeless posted:

It’s not enough to stress over. Difference is minimal enough where I wouldn’t go through the hassle of returning.

Rinkles posted:

Yeah I feel bad about maybe posting too much in this thread, but these are expensive things and I would like to make sure I'm not making mistakes.

Better you post your questions now than later in a panic after you gently caress up and we can’t help you.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Rinkles posted:

:justpost:

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Is it a good or bad sign that Alder Lake CPUs have been in the Newegg shuffle?

homeless
Jan 2, 2005
not so much
Same Rinkles, same.

Thanks again everyone.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

There was a really good x570 deal on Woot ($100 for a new Asus Prime X570 AM4), but it didn't have wifi so I didn't want to gamble. OP says built in is better. Is it a significant difference? Good wifi is pretty important to me. Looking at amazon, PCIe wifi cards aren't cheap either.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Number_6 posted:

I got an IBuyPower 3070 rig back in April through Newegg, and it has been doing fine with temperatures and performance every day. I was lucky enough to bargain for an upgraded PSU (650->750), I bought a Win10 PRO upgrade from LODGE NORTH here on SA Mart for $5 (working Win7 key, still viable), and recently had a free upgrade from 16GB 3200 RAM to 64GB from a family members last WFH box. I use dual, mismatched TVs as monitors, but both run at 1080p/60fps and I have rarely seen temps go higher than 45°C even playing Control (my newest generation game right now). I have had no customer service stories because even my last IBuyPower prebuilt (December2010) worked fine and never had anything come up except for a memory upgrade that was my fault in the first place and I fixed it myself, too.

I have seen (ITT!) some folks have a hard time with the company, but anecdotally my two IBP systems have been flawless and use primo parts through Newegg sourcing.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Rinkles posted:

There was a really good x570 deal on Woot ($100 for a new Asus Prime X570 AM4), but it didn't have wifi so I didn't want to gamble. OP says built in is better. Is it a significant difference? Good wifi is pretty important to me. Looking at amazon, PCIe wifi cards aren't cheap either.

You probably want a B550 board anyway. I’d shoot for integrated.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

B will be the biggest issue. Everyone seems to gently caress up to some extent on a relatively frequent basis, and things can come loose in shipping. There are ultra expensive prebuilts like Falcon Northwest that presumably do better, but you're paying more than a little more for them. For everyone else (and probably even Falcon Northwest and similar expensive SIs), I'd double check their work upon receiving the system and make sure that everything is seated properly, no loose connections, no loose screws, etc, before turning the system on.

With that said, I'd look at systems with an RTX 3060 or 3060 Ti in them, like this one: https://www.newegg.com/abs-ali570/p/N82E16883360205

ABS is newegg's house brand. I've seen some positive reviews of them, and some goons have been happy with their systems, but I've also seen some reports of loose cables and that kind of thing from time to time. They use standard off-the-shelf components (though the motherboards typically have a slightly altered product code that makes flashing their bios more difficult than it needs to be), and there's no bloatware that I'm aware of. I would trust them over ibuypower.

Thanks a lot for the detailed post! Mulling over those systems right now. That ABS deal is priced attractively and is probably "good enough" for me (500 gb SSD is kinda weak though). And I wish I had more control over the cooling options.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Word of warning/advice for anyone who gets an Aorus board: My PC just crashed twice in a row and I thought it was because of my new monitor. But after restarting, my Bluetooth was just... gone. Windows didn't even register that I had an adapter plugged in despite the integrated WiFi on my B550 ITX Aorus still working, even after restarting multiple times and trying to download new drivers. Apparently this is a known issue that I kind of discounted when buying this MOBO because I didn't think it would happen to me (it's seemingly rare but I guess not too rare)

So if this happens to you, just shut your computer, unplug it, and press the power button a few times. I have absolutely no clue why this works but it fixed everything.

change my name fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Nov 11, 2021

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

change my name posted:

Word of warning/advice for anyone who gets an Aorus board: My PC just crashed twice in a row and I thought it was because of my new monitor. But after restarting, my Bluetooth was just... gone. Windows didn't even register that I had an adapter plugged in despite the integrated WiFi on my B550 ITX Aorus still working, even after restarting multiple times and trying to download new drivers. Apparently this is a known issue that I kind of discounted when buying this MOBO because I didn't think it would happen to me (it's seemingly rare but I guess not too rare)

So if this happens to you, just shut your computer, unplug it, and press the power button a few times. I have absolutely no clue why this works but it fixed everything.

I also encountered this issue on the same board but when I was googling it I found that it was a general problem with lovely Bluetooth chipsets on mobos from all manufacturers and not specific to gigabyte. A hard power cycle always fixes it though and anecdotally I haven’t had a reoccurrence of it in a long time, maybe since the last BIOS update.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Number_6 posted:

Thanks a lot for the detailed post! Mulling over those systems right now. That ABS deal is priced attractively and is probably "good enough" for me (500 gb SSD is kinda weak though). And I wish I had more control over the cooling options.

One thing I did with both of my prebuilt computers (2010 & 2021) was not only to remove the internal packing materials, but after a thorough cleaning I took all the parts off the screwed-in motherboard (except for processor/cooler, a bit of professional assembly was expected) to look them over followed by careful reassembling and reseating everything before I ever tried to POST. I was more nervous about bending a pin or wiping off thermal paste myself if I had popped out the Intel, but POST went smoothly. Again, it may be anecdotal, but I popped it open a couple of weeks ago to upgrade a part, and it had very little dust inside and the temps are good ergo the design and airflow must be ok.

If you want, 7200rpm HDDs are cheaper-per-TB every day. I have a new m.2 1TB drive getting close to full of games, but backups, photos/videos, and documents/e-reading go on external drive(s) anyway. Even an extra 2.5” SSD of any size internally aren’t too expensive since Chia faded away, and still fast enough to not notice loading times these days.

Good luck with your new system!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

change my name posted:

Okay, actually, now I'm going insane. I hooked up my new monitor yesterday, a Gigabyte M27Q (1440p 170hz IPS panel), and so far my computer has hard locked and crashed three times already but only on the desktop/in Word etc, not when my GPU is being run at 100% in a game. This never happened on my previous monitor, what could be the cause? I'm running it at 170 hz in HDR mode but that wouldn't bust my system up, would it?

Specs are:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (Purchased For $200.00)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO CPU Cooler (Purchased For $40.00)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard (Purchased For $180.00)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (Purchased For $78.00)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (Purchased For $54.99)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB Founders Edition Video Card (Purchased For $1000.00)
Case: NZXT H210 Mini ITX Tower Case (Purchased For $50.00)
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $100.00)
Case Fan: Noctua S12B redux-1200 PWM 59.1 CFM 120 mm Fan (Purchased For $13.00)
Case Fan: NZXT Aer F 63.02 CFM 120 mm Fan (Purchased For $0.00)
Case Fan: be quiet! Pure Wings 2 87 CFM 120 mm Fan (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $1715.99

Edit: I just disabled hardware acceleration in Chrome and toggled my power allocation for my 3070 from normal to max as some other people appear to be having this problem too, will update if it crashes again

change my name fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Nov 11, 2021