Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I just want my RP2+ already.

Or at least some more drat reviews!

I wish the screen were bigger but its not the end of the world. It being 4:3 is a pretty big deal to me though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Who knew that the Retroid Pocket 2+ would be the last of the 4:3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFnATHcO9oo

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 9, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The United States posted:

Who knew that the Retroid Pocket 2+ would be the last of the 4:3

Pouring one out for the 4:3.

TBF though once they start getting more powerful for the PSP you'll need the widescreen.

So you'll need two of these! One for GC and below and one for the PSP and PS2 stuff.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

My biggest problem is I want one of these devices but I just can't justify getting one. I have an OLED Vita for PSP/PSX and general emulation, I have a 3DS for DS, I have a Wii U for Wii/GC and I have a Switch for the current stuff I want. The only thing I would want a handheld for is PS2 and Saturn emulation and there's maybe 4 games across all 3 systems I care about, and my Surface can run those well enough.

If I could pay $500 to run every system but the Switch in the same form factor it'd be worth it, but until then I'm already invested in what I have.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
If you have an OLED Vita you don't need any of these chinese handhelds yeah

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
But. BUT.

You could still get a few.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I'll disagree with that because I wasn't happy with how GBA and SNES ran on my Vita.

Most of the stuff ran OK but some not so much.

It is pretty amazing how well the Vita has held up for homebrew stuff though.

Rolo posted:

But. BUT.

You could still get a few.

As a treat.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
The steam deck controls are ridiculously ergonomic, but the only problem is that they look really stupid, which is par for the course for anything that is really comfortable.

MarcusSA posted:

I just want my RP2+ already.

Or at least some more drat reviews!

I wish the screen were bigger but its not the end of the world. It being 4:3 is a pretty big deal to me though.

I don't get the whole 4:3 thing. Could someone explain? Is it an aesthetic thing where if everything is nice and neat it feels like an actual product instead of a cheap knockoff? Or some thing about how it's the perfect resolution to upscale games and stuff etc?

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Has anyone replaced the screen on their OLED Vita? That's the only thing that worries me long long term.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Cory Parsnipson posted:

The steam deck controls are ridiculously ergonomic, but the only problem is that they look really stupid, which is par for the course for anything that is really comfortable.

I don't get the whole 4:3 thing. Could someone explain? Is it an aesthetic thing where if everything is nice and neat it feels like an actual product instead of a cheap knockoff? Or some thing about how it's the perfect resolution to upscale games and stuff etc?

It’s the aspect ratio for almost all older systems and handhelds (excepting PSP and GBA) so a 4:3 screen will display them properly without black bars on either side.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

There are many many games that I wouldn't play a lot of sitting at a PC, but using it on the couch i would play through while having TV on in the background

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

If the "you" here is in reference to forums user Walla and their situation they describe with the hardware devices they already own, then you are correct. If "you" means "anybody reading this post," I don't think that is true.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Walla posted:

If I could pay $500 to run every system but the Switch in the same form factor it'd be worth it, but until then I'm already invested in what I have.

My friend, you can pay much less than that for something that runs all those systems including the switch

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

MarcusSA posted:

I'll disagree with that because I wasn't happy with how GBA and SNES ran on my Vita.
I thought GBA was fixed? Oh no.

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

If the "you" here is in reference to forums user Walla and their situation they describe with the hardware devices they already own, then you are correct. If "you" means "anybody reading this post," I don't think that is true.
I thought the emulators were pretty much solid now? If that's not the case then yeah, something that can do SNES and GBA isn't bad.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Oh it might be but I haven’t tried it in a long while because it wasn’t where I thought it should be.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

flavor.flv posted:

My friend, you can pay much less than that for something that runs all those systems including the switch

Oh I know. :) My Switch is even the original version so I could hack it myself, but i have this thing about modifying live systems. I only mod my devices after support has ended.

I thought the emulators were pretty much solid now? If that's not the case then yeah, something that can do SNES and GBA isn't bad.

I've never had any issue, but the list of games I play is pretty tiny. Everything runs mostly smooth, but I do run into audio issues with the mGBA core pretty frequently.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Retroarch's gpsp core had broken dynarec on Vita for a long time and it was fixed in..late 2019 I wanna say and got a lot better.

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

I’ve got a slim Vita, so I guess I’d be mainly looking for something that costs less than replacing it with an OLED Vita. :v:

I’ve run into a few issues with SNES, but GBA seems pretty solid on Vita from the few games I’ve tested, and Genesis/MD and 8-bit stuff seem to run well on just about anything these days. IIRC Genesis was even pretty solid on PSP with Picodrive.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

GBA is amazing on the PSP, zero input lag or audio delay. I don't know how they did it, but you can 100% rhythm heaven no problem. Fifteen years later no other emulator can match it

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

flavor.flv posted:

GBA is amazing on the PSP, zero input lag or audio delay. I don't know how they did it, but you can 100% rhythm heaven no problem. Fifteen years later no other emulator can match it

I played through a lot of mother 3 on PSP and had no issue with the rhythm combat

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015

Pablo Nergigante posted:

It’s the aspect ratio for almost all older systems and handhelds (excepting PSP and GBA) so a 4:3 screen will display them properly without black bars on either side.

Ah ok. I haven't played that much on a portable but the GBA and SNES games' aspect ratio don't seem to bother me that much. Is it really that bad? Man this is kind of fascinating me right now.

E. Oh yeah, what do you guys think about screen overlays that fill in the black bars with some nice wallpapery stuff?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Cory Parsnipson posted:

E. Oh yeah, what do you guys think about screen overlays that fill in the black bars with some nice wallpapery stuff?

I do it for handhelds (like the GB border or SGB stuff) but I don't for consoles

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Cory Parsnipson posted:

Ah ok. I haven't played that much on a portable but the GBA and SNES games' aspect ratio don't seem to bother me that much. Is it really that bad? Man this is kind of fascinating me right now.

Pretty much was what I was needing to tidy up my RG351P. The overlay packs that someone released a while ago (Retro Game Corps has a whole section about them) was pretty exhaustive. Wish there was more GBC/GG overlays but life is life.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
I forgot what the deal with the Polymega was, was it just stolen emulator code or something more?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0REPSKWW4xM

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Cory Parsnipson posted:

I don't care for it. If you're obsessed with filling the whole screen in to the point of distraction, you might as well just play stretched

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

I forgot what the deal with the Polymega was, was it just stolen emulator code or something more?
Originally claimed to be an FPGA design but backpedaled to software emulation. Repeated delays. Hype video "accidentally" used stock arcade footage and not a direct capture from the device.

I don't think there was any serious claims of stolen emulator code other than they couldn't possibly do Saturn emulation otherwise.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Today is the 11/11 sale on AliExpress so if you're going to order something that will take 2 months to get to you, might as well order it today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JmoRlPLHt0

Also the PlayDate is PlayDelayed again
https://twitter.com/playdate/status/1458857960705183748

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Originally claimed to be an FPGA design but backpedaled to software emulation. Repeated delays. Hype video "accidentally" used stock arcade footage and not a direct capture from the device.

I don't think there was any serious claims of stolen emulator code other than they couldn't possibly do Saturn emulation otherwise.
Ok that must have been another system then. Gotta say, it seems to be just a low end x86 box with custom software, but it's pretty slick software.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Nov 11, 2021

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Also the PlayDate is PlayDelayed again

With the Steam Deck and Playdate both announcing this week that they're pushed back to 2022, I wonder how much longer until Analogue announces the (third) delay of the Pocket. (Analogue's last delay announcement said "Pocket will have some hands-on features and reviews coming before it ships" and uhh we're getting awfully close to that alleged "December 2021" ship date and not a peep about hands-ons or reviews.)

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Blotto_Otter posted:

With the Steam Deck and Playdate both announcing this week that they're pushed back to 2022, I wonder how much longer until Analogue announces the (third) delay of the Pocket. (Analogue's last delay announcement said "Pocket will have some hands-on features and reviews coming before it ships" and uhh we're getting awfully close to that alleged "December 2021" ship date and not a peep about hands-ons or reviews.)

Do not speak this curse to life

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Countblanc posted:

Do not speak this curse to life

I am merely the prophet, not the doer.

(I recently had to help some in-laws score an OLED Switch to give their kids for Christmas, because even a minor update of a five-year-old game console manufactured by the oldest, most stable videogame company in existence is hard to come by these days. Assuming the worst when it comes to new electronic gadgets for Christmas season seems like the safest bet going right now.)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

People sure to put a lot of faith in Analogue.

Like I’m sure they will deliver a product someday but what they’ve shown so far is not inspiring.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mqkkjnu

There's a big sale on at aliexpress, the 351v got me tempted

edit: found an even cheaper deal

flavor.flv fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 11, 2021

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

People sure to put a lot of faith in Analogue.

Like I’m sure they will deliver a product someday but what they’ve shown so far is not inspiring.

Pre-pandemic they managed to announce and ship three consoles and even got the NT Noir made and shipped during the pandemic, so I think the faith is warranted. But I do grow weary of these delays.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Is there a good recommended solution for streaming poo poo from my PC to a handheld I can play on the couch? Not really for major PC games, but more for more robust emulation than what's available handheld (PS2, enhanced + widescreen PS1, 3DS, etc)

Steam Deck is huge and also not available. I've heard the RGB10 max + a good wifi dongle does the trick, but I figure it might get annoying having the dongle sticking off the top the whole time. Obviously I could just play on my computer, but it's nice to hang out on the couch and watch TV or whatever.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

CodfishCartographer posted:

Is there a good recommended solution for streaming poo poo from my PC to a handheld I can play on the couch? Not really for major PC games, but more for more robust emulation than what's available handheld (PS2, enhanced + widescreen PS1, 3DS, etc)

Steam Deck is huge and also not available. I've heard the RGB10 max + a good wifi dongle does the trick, but I figure it might get annoying having the dongle sticking off the top the whole time. Obviously I could just play on my computer, but it's nice to hang out on the couch and watch TV or whatever.

Why do you need the dongle? RGB10 Max has wifi.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Why do you need the dongle? RGB10 Max has wifi.

Moreso I've heard that the wifi in it is lackluster for streaming from a PC, and so a dongle with stronger capabilities is needed to make it really feasible. Maybe I heard wrong?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Moreso I've heard that the wifi in it is lackluster for streaming from a PC, and so a dongle with stronger capabilities is needed to make it really feasible. Maybe I heard wrong?

Okay, yeah, looks like if you want 5GHz wifi you need a dongle. This streaming guide from RGC might be helpful.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

You could always try the Steam Link app to stream to your phone? On my home network, its surprisingly solid in terms of input latency and as long as you have your emulators set up to launch via steam, you can stream over the Steam Link.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ChaosArgate posted:

You could always try the Steam Link app to stream to your phone? On my home network, its surprisingly solid in terms of input latency and as long as you have your emulators set up to launch via steam, you can stream over the Steam Link.

I’ve had terrible luck with Steam Link so if it doesn’t work you could try Moonlight or Parsec.

Parsec seems to work really well and is free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Seems like we talk almost exclusively about handhelds itt, but I have a HK1 Box (aka Makeup Box) on the way that I'm going to use as a console for my living room TV setup. I had previously been using RetroPi with a Raspberry Pi 4 4gb, but this $45 Android TV box should wind up doing a better job. I've got some Xbox 360 controllers from Goodwill and one of the generic usb receivers and I'm ready to loving rock.