Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I need advice on a miter saw. My wife enjoys woodworking as a hobby and she has asked for one. Lowe's has Metabo (formerly Hitachi) saws on sale right now and I've read good things.

There's a 10" for $299 and a 12" for $350.

Is the extra 2" worth spending $50 more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

I have the 10" Metabo HPT slider and it's great. Unless she's going to be cutting really wide stock, that one is probably fine.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Literally A Person posted:

For blasting wood all over the place like planing and grinding and poo poo I find that this mask https://www.webstaurantstore.com/3m...jhoCVJMQAvD_BwE

These are my favorite also. I don't like the full face shield respirators, and I don't need them since I'm not working with highly caustic chemicals and making meth. It's also nice that they're cheap, so if they get nasty, you can chuck them.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

For a few bucks more you can get the same mask with a quick release lever for the straps. I won't go back.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

tracecomplete posted:

I have the 10" Metabo HPT slider and it's great. Unless she's going to be cutting really wide stock, that one is probably fine.

Thanks. She probably won't be doing super large projects so I think the 10" should work.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

12" blades are more expensive and using the saw itself might be a bit intimidating with all that exposed blade in your face. Or hers. But for that once or twice ever that she'll need a saw big enough, it'll be there. You know the saying, "Buy it and they big lumber projects will come."
Why don't you ask her?

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

me your dad posted:

Thanks. She probably won't be doing super large projects so I think the 10" should work.

When I say "less capacity", fwiw, I mean "I can only cut one 2x12 at a time". It's more than fine for basically anything most people will fine-woodworkishly do. I've only gone big on it when doing carpentry crap in my house, like cutting long, tall boards for garden edging and stuff.

One of the particular benefits of that saw (and why I bought it) is that it's zero rear clearance, so it can just butt straight up against a wall. Saves a lot of room, but if you're not used to miter saws you might not realize it can do that.

tracecomplete fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Nov 10, 2021

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
I see a few reviews on that saw saying that the miter detents have a fair bit of slop, which is more important to a woodworker than say a carpenter.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
So one thing to keep in mind when thinking about a 10'' vs a 12'' is that capacity isn't just about how wide a board you can cut, it's also how tall. If you ever see yourself wanted to cut 4x4, or perhaps thick table legs, some 10'' sliders are unable to do so without needing to flip the wood which can introduce accuracy and cut quality issues. I found myself regretting not getting the 12'' version of my 10'' Makita slider when doing some outdoor projects last fall that involved a lot of 4x4.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
I bought a used DeWalt 12" single bevel recently because the sliding 12" and other newer 12" saws are all so goddamn huge.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

more falafel please posted:

I've seriously considered this for beard reasons, do you like it?

Sorry, I don't have that. Hell, I'm not convinced it's a real product.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Trabant posted:

Sorry, I don't have that. Hell, I'm not convinced it's a real product.

Haha there's an even more minimal and silly looking one. The model 100
https://duckworks.com/resp-o-rator/

Last I looked at them it seems they use a proprietary filter which would be a bit of a pain and expensive. Some guy on youtube had a video on how to hack it up so you could put 3m filters onto it

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Can anyone recommend a set of heat resistant work gloves with fairly good dexterity? I'm thinking like Mechanix style. Ideally would be good up to around 215*C for working on my 3d printers and light duty heat gun work for same. As such, I really need to be able to manipulate fiddly screws and small parts.

Captain Organ
Sep 9, 2004
cooter. snooper.

Deviant posted:

Can anyone recommend a set of heat resistant work gloves with fairly good dexterity? I'm thinking like Mechanix style. Ideally would be good up to around 215*C for working on my 3d printers and light duty heat gun work for same. As such, I really need to be able to manipulate fiddly screws and small parts.

Setwear makes gloves called the hothand which are made for working on theatrical light fixtures (similar or higher in temperature to what you describe). I never used them when I was in the business but lots of people like them, and they are probably the closest thing to 'fairly good dexterity' for hot work that you'll find. Kind of spendy for gloves though.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

if I want to cut some plexiglass and acrylic without a dremel is my best bet one of those scoring knives that look like oversized razor blades or can I get away with using any large sharp knife

I'll probably be going 1/16" on the polycarbonate sheet, not sure on the acrylic since it's supposed to be the base of the spray booth
edit: looking even further at materials I think I'll probably go with a 1/16" hdpe sheet for the base

the paradigm shift fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Nov 11, 2021

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Table saw or band saw.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Mr. Mambold posted:

Table saw or band saw.

With a bi-metal blade, 14tpi or better.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You can do it with a jigsaw, but of course this carries all the usual jigsaw problems.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

the paradigm shift posted:

if I want to cut some plexiglass and acrylic without a dremel is my best bet one of those scoring knives that look like oversized razor blades or can I get away with using any large sharp knife

I'll probably be going 1/16" on the polycarbonate sheet, not sure on the acrylic since it's supposed to be the base of the spray booth
edit: looking even further at materials I think I'll probably go with a 1/16" hdpe sheet for the base

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlC9U-K3JWo

If I was doing a straight cut, I'd score and snap. For everything else yeah a bandsaw is what you want.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

With a bi-metal blade, 14tpi or better.

Why bimetal to cut plastic?

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

canyoneer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlC9U-K3JWo

If I was doing a straight cut, I'd score and snap. For everything else yeah a bandsaw is what you want.

yeah I'm basically making a smaller square so should I get the scoring tool or can I make do with any reasonably thick and sharp blade

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Mr. Mambold posted:

Why bimetal to cut plastic?

Plastic is surprisingly mean to blades however dumb that may sound. Just in the interest of having a not lovely dull blade after the cutting process I would go with something intended to cut metal.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

the paradigm shift posted:

yeah I'm basically making a smaller square so should I get the scoring tool or can I make do with any reasonably thick and sharp blade

Glass cutters are like $5 and are pretty much just little cutting wheels. Really helpful for making straight line cuts in glass, because straight blades don't really want to bite into the material. On softer acrylic, I think you'd be fine with a straight edge and a few passes from a sharp razor.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Plastic is surprisingly mean to blades however dumb that may sound. Just in the interest of having a not lovely dull blade after the cutting process I would go with something intended to cut metal.

I have a real hard time accepting that carbide toothed blades would dull out from plastic. Oh poo poo, you're in bandsaw hss mindset and I'm thinking table saw. Oookayyyyy.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Hi tool thread, a coworker in my break room just said Makita is bad quality like Ryobi. I'm not going crazy, they're top tier, right?

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
Your coworker is a dipshit

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Rufio posted:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Rufio posted:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rufio posted:

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

My uncle had a similar complaint, I was similarly confused. apparently they had a reputation for poo poo in the 90s or something?

I told him about the coffee maker and he was intrigued.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

Rufio posted:

Your coworker is a dipshit, also possibly prejudiced against Japan?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Rufio posted:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Hi tool thread, a coworker in my break room just said Makita is bad quality like Ryobi. I'm not going crazy, they're top tier, right?

What brand do they use?
Obviously Makita is poo poo compared to (whatever the gently caress brand they use).

Also:

Hobbies, Crafts, & Houses › Tools: Quote "your coworker is a dipshit"

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Trabant posted:

Changed my mind about masks/respirators -- I found the next one:

Just needs a set of Truck Nuts mounted on the front and it will be perfect.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

SkunkDuster posted:

Just needs a set of Truck Nuts mounted on the front and it will be perfect.

This made the bile rise in my throat.

:golfclap:

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Rufio posted:

Your coworker is a dipshit, many Ryobi tools are shockingly good for the money.
And thanks to the 25% off refurb deal, I now own 4 electrostatic sprayers that I have zero idea wtf I'm going to do with. Direct Tools is using its customers as a garbage dump.

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Nov 13, 2021

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

MRC48B posted:

My uncle had a similar complaint, I was similarly confused. apparently they had a reputation for poo poo in the 90s or something?

I told him about the coffee maker and he was intrigued.

Nope, they were totl in the 90's. Best cordless (9.6 was a beast, boys), awesome corded tools. They've always been good as far as I can remember seeing/buying my first ones in 1980.
Ryobi were poo poo then when they first hit the U.S.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Current gen Ryobi is fine for the home user. I've had my drill and rattle gun since maybe 2013 and they're still going on strong.

I wouldn't expect them to last in trade use though but they're fine for someone like me screwing about in the garage.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
The company that cut/installed our quartz countertop had Ryobi tools. We were just having a single piece put in on a peninsula, and they just used some silicone to attach it, so they didn't really need many tools for my job. But we chatted about it and he said he buys Ryobi because they're made in the same factory as Ridgid vacuums, which he also uses. No idea if that's true, but I was a bit surprised to see them roll in with the green. Maybe they just don't need much from their power tools, the way a lot of other trades do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I have mostly dewalt power tools and after using my friends Ryobi stuff Id go either way if it was the situation for tools Im not using like weekly.

Same poo poo growing up, dad had Matco tools in the shop but told everyone to just buy the cheap craftsman stuff unless you were a professional mechanic. Works for some stuff, obv for some items you'd prefer the best available but most cases a cheaper tool for less use situations is better than what you would need imo.