Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Having such a poo poo dress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Snout is such an rear end in a top hat. Absolutely zero attempt to try and talk with his friends and help them work through their issues, poo poo, we still don't know what corpselady's horrible fortune from the orc was because Snout hasn't loving bothered to ask. Instead he's just happy go lucky and carefree, ignoring the pain his friends are going through, because he wants to go fishing.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

So they were all awestruck at the place they walked to, but then apparently went to sit down and be sad sacks while Snout hosed off to eat and then go over to find fishing rods.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
I feel like this is somehow a response to us making fun of Snout just going off for simple soft boi vegetable adventures after they got into town. Now Mookie is having a temper tantrum because he didn't want to advance any plot

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Advance the what now?

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Twelve by Pies posted:

Snout is such an rear end in a top hat. Absolutely zero attempt to try and talk with his friends and help them work through their issues, poo poo, we still don't know what corpselady's horrible fortune from the orc was because Snout hasn't loving bothered to ask. Instead he's just happy go lucky and carefree, ignoring the pain his friends are going through, because he wants to go fishing.

In any other story this would serve to show just how selfish Snout is.

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
Christ, the little happy fishing fantasy is the most pathetic thing yet, what an absolutely feeble imagination. This applies to Snout AND Mookie.

Corpsemom looks like she's been driven insane, staring into the nothingness of the WHITE VOID, laughing uncontrollably. Arudak giving the sleaziest bedroom eyes at Snout. Just horrid.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
It's really strange how, out of context, it would seem like Snout is supposed to be being sort of self centered in this interaction. Like, it's telling that in Snout's imagination, he isn't envisioning them as just being happy, he's imagining Arudak and the Ink Witch giving him attention specifically. He's imagining then being like "thanks Snout, you're so helpful and special for trying to solve our complicated problems by bothering us into fishing."

Also sort of amusing is that, in contrast, the Ink Witch seems to be sad purely out of empathy for Arudak's feelings. Unless something happened we weren't shown, she's sad because he's struggling and she's not sure how to help, which makes her and Arudak's relationship innately seem more compelling. Snout just immediately went for the most surface solution possible after ignoring them for a while, with seemingly no understanding of the fact that his approach is so lacking and selfish.

It's a childish solution but also deeply incurious.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Snout's major trait is his curiosity. Which is why he hasn't asked corpselady why she's sad.

Snout's other major trait is his kindness. Which is why he's ignoring his friends in favor of stealing vegetables and fantasizing about going fishing.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
He's going to go mope for a week or two, and then the others are going to apologize for being too self-absorbed to realize just how nice he was being, aren't they?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

loving pull out your lovely notebook and talk to your sad depressed friends. Someone already said that mookie's writing is grossly infantilising Snout and it's as true for him sticking his face into glass and making cartoon faces at (free??) food as well as for thinking Ink Witch, Arudak and Kaiandamom and dad and corpsemom will feel better if they all just play with toys together.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Absolutely howling that "remembered for your kindness" Snout went on a loving jamboree and then eventually remembers to find something to cheer up his depressed companions and picks something poo poo.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I saw this thread had 4000 posts since I looked at it last. I pondered catching up with the story, which I dropped a long time ago, to see what progress had finally been made.

But I decided against it. I was finally free of Snout's boring slog, so what was the point of diving back in? I don't care about the characters, the story/mystery, or any of the repetitive bad moments I used to make fun of.

So, congratulations, comic. You were too boring to read or make fun of even for a guy who read a phone book once because his dad was taking too long sorting out his stamp collection.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
In the hands of any other writer, we'd get an entire storyline building up to the comedic scenario of four vegetarians going fishing. Mookie being the writer that he is, there's a stupid and self-serious explanation for why an entire nation of vegetarians do it, the protagonists still have no reason to do it themselves, everyone's awkward and depressed, and also it doesn't happen.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaart

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

evilmiera posted:

I saw this thread had 4000 posts since I looked at it last. I pondered catching up with the story, which I dropped a long time ago, to see what progress had finally been made.

But I decided against it. I was finally free of Snout's boring slog, so what was the point of diving back in? I don't care about the characters, the story/mystery, or any of the repetitive bad moments I used to make fun of.

So, congratulations, comic. You were too boring to read or make fun of even for a guy who read a phone book once because his dad was taking too long sorting out his stamp collection.
Snout went to the library! No, the other library. Nothing relevant happened there.

Also, we got so bored with the comic we did a 180 on the thread rule to keep things about the current comic instead of the last comic and somebody's going through the archives of the original comic.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

Absolutely howling that "remembered for your kindness" Snout went on a loving jamboree and then eventually remembers to find something to cheer up his depressed companions and picks something poo poo.

The best part too me is this isn't exactly what happened, or if this is what Mookie was going for he messed up.
Look at the order of the panels, what should be happening is:

Snout sees his friends are sad, imagines them being happy fishing together only for them to not respond when he offers to go fishing, showing just how depressed they actually are.

What the comic actually shows however is Snout imagining them happily fishing, being caught off guard that they're sad, sheepishly offering to go anyways and acting defeated that they won't.

This means that Snout didn't intend to cheer them up with fishing, he actually forgot that they were sad and got the rods for no other reason than he wanted to go fishing.

And he still hasn't asked..ummm... Kaianda, what the seer said too her.
I also had too look up her name, the story made a big deal out of it and never brought it up again.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Billy Gnosis posted:

TheHan posted:

No way is he gonna draw all those flowers every time, I give this look 3 more pages.

Someone's optimistic. I give it at most one more page before it's drastically simplified or reverted.

Just coming back to this to point out you were exactly right. He literally only managed to draw corpsemom’s new outfit—flowers and all—one time, before simplifying it down to just a flower belt.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Giant Ethicist posted:

He's going to go mope for a week or two, and then the others are going to apologize for being too self-absorbed to realize just how nice he was being, aren't they?

the beauty of terraciano's writing is that he always wants to have it both ways. he wants snout to learn important moral lessons, but also doesn't snout to ever be wrong and have character flaws. ostensibly this would be a story about testing his resolves in terms of supporting his friends and learning to be a better friend himself, but also snout has a whopping two character traits and half of them are "kindness", so the entire visual language of the comic makes it seem like he's being excluded from the friend group, literally by panel borders even, to give the impression he didn't have a choice in not being there for his friends.

this is like a story about empathy by someone who doesn't understand the concept

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Giant Ethicist posted:

Yeah we’ll probably get some variation of Snout being sad that everyone is sad and not doing the thing he wants to do, then they see he’s sad and they decide to make him un-sad by doing the thing he wants.

Which, man, I can’t even begin to unravel how screwed up that is.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Pulsarcat posted:

The best part too me is this isn't exactly what happened, or if this is what Mookie was going for he messed up.
Look at the order of the panels, what should be happening is:

Snout sees his friends are sad, imagines them being happy fishing together only for them to not respond when he offers to go fishing, showing just how depressed they actually are.

What the comic actually shows however is Snout imagining them happily fishing, being caught off guard that they're sad, sheepishly offering to go anyways and acting defeated that they won't.

This means that Snout didn't intend to cheer them up with fishing, he actually forgot that they were sad and got the rods for no other reason than he wanted to go fishing.

I also had too look up her name, the story made a big deal out of it and never brought it up again.

We are not at the point yet where mookie completely forgets what happened in the pages prior to this so there's no reason to treat this as stupidly as that. Snout went on a fun stroll for himself, thought fishing sounds cool and will cheer his friends up, and didn't realise their poo poo isn't the kind that gets fixed with childish playtime.

Mookie has been making references to obscure bits of DD and has talked about how he wanted to do this or that with this chapter or set of pages. So the comic isn't poo poo because he forgot or whatever, it is poo poo because he made it this way consciously.

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.

Pulsarcat posted:

Did he ever talk to her about that weird shared dream? Or for that matter, tell Ink Witch that he named her? You'd think those things would be more important than "oh look fishing rods!"

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

It's great that in between crashing into the lake and moping over to an ork fishing village, Corpsemommy had time to do her eyeliner. If this comic were any good, Arudak would grab Snout's notebook, write "YOU FORGOT BAIT, SHITHEAD" over some lovely drawing of a carrot and Snout would bawl his way back to the tree he fought 2 years ago.

Also what is with Snout's last expression? He looks like he caught his dog and cat cuddling, not sad.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Also apparently the most pressing thing all of them have to do in this town is hang around and mope in the general area Snout is in. Wouldn't they be exploring the town? Shopping for food? Securing lodging? Nope, all three are apparently just going to be sad on a pier near Snout so he can pester them.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

YF-23 posted:

We are not at the point yet where mookie completely forgets what happened in the pages prior to this so there's no reason to treat this as stupidly as that. Snout went on a fun stroll for himself, thought fishing sounds cool and will cheer his friends up, and didn't realise their poo poo isn't the kind that gets fixed with childish playtime.

Mookie has been making references to obscure bits of DD and has talked about how he wanted to do this or that with this chapter or set of pages. So the comic isn't poo poo because he forgot or whatever, it is poo poo because he made it this way consciously.

Yeah, you're right, I'm getting to eager to find flaws in an already deeply flawed comic.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

ScienceSeagull posted:

Did he ever talk to her about that weird shared dream? Or for that matter, tell Ink Witch that he named her? You'd think those things would be more important than "oh look fishing rods!"

He did not do the first one, as far as we know. He did do the second one, because that was when Arudak said that names are a big deal for ink witches and that she'd be excited all day. This also prompted Ink Witch to ask Snout to name her, which he then came up with the amazing name of...Ink Witch.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I think my favorite part is that this whole thing is about Snout, noted for recently not having the attention span to even keep looking out the window on a plane ride and getting so bored he chews his toes or whatever nonsense it was instead of talking to his friends, deciding to get everyone together for a recreational activity characterized by the need for patience filled with conversation with your friends.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Mookie you loving idiot, you edited the panels in the wrong order

I mean assuming your original intent was to show Snout has empathy

Jayme
Jul 16, 2008

Moola posted:

Mookie you loving idiot, you edited the panels in the wrong order

I mean assuming your original intent was to show Snout has empathy

That works so much better, holy poo poo

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
This comic is art.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

If you set out to make a comic this incompetent, I don't think you could. I think it's genuinely impossible to actively make a comic worse than this.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Twelve by Pies posted:

If you set out to make a comic this incompetent, I don't think you could. I think it's genuinely impossible to actively make a comic worse than this.

That's a real monkey's paw statement that usually ends with 9 Chickweed Lane or Moon Over June.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I stand by Legacy having dethroned Dominic Deegan as the nadir of human creative endeavor. I legit believe it's the worst and I would love to be proven wrong because I love a trainwreck.

This is legitimately worse than Sonichu in terms of artistry.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I stand by Legacy having dethroned Dominic Deegan as the nadir of human creative endeavor. I legit believe it's the worst and I would love to be proven wrong because I love a trainwreck.

This is legitimately worse than Sonichu in terms of artistry.

Agreed on all counts.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

That's a real monkey's paw statement that usually ends with 9 Chickweed Lane or Moon Over June.

I'm not saying Legacy is the ugliest, or that it has the worst content, because there's fetish comics out there with grosser stuff for sure, yeah. You can make a more repulsive comic than Legacy, but I don't think it would be worse.

Legacy is worse than those. Fetish comics exist for a purpose: to let weirdos jack off, and they barely need a plot to accomplish this. 9CL has a plot, yeah it's a lovely one, but it's consistent. Characters want to do things and do so without forgetting what they did two strips before. Even when Gay Hulk turned straight, it wasn't because Brooke forgot that he was gay, it was because he did a lovely storyline about it. When characters are introduced or appear in the strip, they serve a purpose instead of appearing and saying "I'm here" and then never mattering again.

If a person set out and said "I will make a comic with a worse plot than Legacy," they could not do it. It would be impossible. Legacy has no purpose, and doesn't have a plot, there are completely useless characters, and things contradict each other frequently. And even poo poo that's made on the fly with no planning and that contradict each other on purpose are better than Legacy! That's basically Axe Cop, which is absolutely better than Legacy (lovely opinions of the artist aside).

As someone else has stated in the thread before, Legacy is the absolute nadir of human creation. It cannot be worse than this.

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007
Much like Mookie, I reused assets and panels. Please forgive me.

*Edit*
gently caress, I forgot to erase Snout's reflection. Oh well. It's a ghost now.

Mutant Headcrab fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Nov 11, 2021

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Legacy is an antinarrative.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
As I said before; I think the best description of this comic is 'the opposite of storytelling'

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

This comic is art.

It’s the first time an artist has accidentally embraced Dadaism without realizing it in long form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

It’s the first time an artist has accidentally embraced Dadaism without realizing it in long form.

It just narrowly beat out NFTs.