Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
You can't buy Windows 11 for ARM at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Fame Douglas posted:

You can't buy Windows 11 for ARM at the moment.

Oh. Would buying a Windows 10 license work? It's a little annoying to not be able to customize the system.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
I don’t know much about it but I put Elex on my gog/steam wishlist while watching early stuff for Elex2. It popped up 80% off yesterday ($9.99) and when I looked it seemed to have a half/half review on Steam, but its price is making me wonder if I would gain anything from buying it & playing it in prep for Elex2 (whenever its ready, nbd). I looked in Games but didn’t have much luck because I’m phone-posting via AwfulApp and don’t have search!

It is Windows software, obviously, but I do much better with Goon-reviews since we all have a lot more in common than we want to admit 🤪! Is Elex worth :10bux: for a play through? Yes or no=fine, but a bit of reasoning is nice, too!

Edit:
Apparently I was looking at GoG; Steam now says “mostly positive” and has more than just a trailer video. I musta had a glitch out on my phone or something. Any insight is still appreciated, though.

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Nov 10, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

DerekSmartymans posted:

I don’t know much about it but I put Elex on my gog/steam wishlist while watching early stuff for Elex2. It popped up 80% off yesterday ($9.99) and when I looked it seemed to have a half/half review on Steam, but its price is making me wonder if I would gain anything from buying it & playing it in prep for Elex2 (whenever its ready, nbd). I looked in Games but didn’t have much luck because I’m phone-posting via AwfulApp and don’t have search!

It is Windows software, obviously, but I do much better with Goon-reviews since we all have a lot more in common than we want to admit 🤪! Is Elex worth :10bux: for a play through? Yes or no=fine, but a bit of reasoning is nice, too!

Edit:
Apparently I was looking at GoG; Steam now says “mostly positive” and has more than just a trailer video. I musta had a glitch out on my phone or something. Any insight is still appreciated, though.

I’ve never played it but you might have better luck asking the steam thread which is kinda a general catch all games thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3908833

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

fletcher posted:

My screen saver, auto-lock, and monitor auto-off started working yesterday out of nowhere. Don't recall installing any Windows Updates, or updating any drivers. So weird!

I have windows 11 on my laptop, and it seems to be sleeping at times i don't expect it to - so as an experiment, I plugged it in, and set it to "display off after 5 min, power off never when plugged it" - and left it running something heavy. Five minutes later the fan spins down, and it's definitely asleep.

I mean, the display is definitely off, I'll give them that much.

Oh , and regarding Elex, I haven't played it but generally trust Rockpapershotgun - not that I always agree with them, but their reviews feel like a real person played a game and then wrote about the experience, which is rarer than you'd hope. The title kind of gives away his take, here: In its opening hour ELEX finds new ways to be terrible

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

MarcusSA posted:

I’ve never played it but you might have better luck asking the steam thread which is kinda a general catch all games thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3908833

That’s great! I didn’t know there wasasuch! Appreciate the link, too.

Edit:

Computer viking posted:

Oh , and regarding Elex, I haven't played it but generally trust Rockpapershotgun - not that I always agree with them, but their reviews feel like a real person played a game and then wrote about the experience, which is rarer than you'd hope. The title kind of gives away his take, here: In its opening hour ELEX finds new ways to be terrible

Thanks, man. I’ll check out RPSg, too…my internet was so bad for a decade since they stopped making physical copies to sell at stores I haven’t played a game made after 2011 (Skyrim, 11/11; I played WoW but had to haul my desktop to my sister’s house for patches & expansions). I recently have been playing lots of catchup following “Top 10 games everyone must own,” “Top 5 games for an old laptop,” etc. I spent more than I wanted (or meant) to, but it’s been a lot of fun during Covid lockdowns and downtime.

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Nov 10, 2021

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Oh yeah, then you have a lot of things to try - there's been some fun games this decade (like any decade since the 70's, but you get what I mean).

In no particular order, and with varying system requirement:

Opus Magnum is a neat if sometimes frustrating puzzle game. Hades is a "run around and hack monsters apart" game with great writing. Factorio is mostly about the joy of designing and improving huge systems, with a spot of tower defense and vehicular alien slaughter; runs ok on a mid-range microwave, and is great multiplayer. Rimworld is even less demanding on your system, but it's a great, deep, "idiots trying to survive on a hostile planet" base building game. I liked both the new XCOM games, but the second one was better in every way.

Cities Skylines is sim city but the only really hard part is managing the traffic while still making your huge sprawling city look pretty. Europa Universalis and Crusader Kings both let you rule a medieval country and try to make do, but the former focuses on the expansion and country, while the latter is more about the intrigue and idiocy of the rulers. Oh and endless space and endless legend are fun, somewhere left of Civilization with weirder story and better battles. Hell, even Civ 6 has grown up into a good game. 5, too. And 4.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Nov 10, 2021

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

lord funk posted:

Oh. Would buying a Windows 10 license work? It's a little annoying to not be able to customize the system.

No. You can’t buy any version of windows for arm; windows arm is officially only available to OEMs for pre installation on arm devices. Using it in a VM to get windows on a Mac is an unauthorised work around; that’s why people are using the Dev preview to do it.

Microsoft seems to have absolutely no intention of providing any sort of offical arm windows version to end users; but they also appear to be turning a blind eye to this work around. That may change at any time however.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I enjoyed Elex quite a bit but I’m a sucker for their games such as Gothic. It’s pretty much in the same vein.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Computer viking posted:

Oh yeah, then you have a lot of things to try - there's been some fun games this decade (like any decade since the 70's, but you get what I mean).

In no particular order, and with varying system requirement:

Opus Magnum is a neat if sometimes frustrating puzzle game. Hades is a "run around and hack monsters apart" game with great writing. Factorio is mostly about the joy of designing and improving huge systems, with a spot of tower defense and vehicular alien slaughter; runs ok on a mid-range microwave, and is great multiplayer. Rimworld is even less demanding on your system, but it's a great, deep, "idiots trying to survive on a hostile planet" base building game. I liked both the new XCOM games, but the second one was better in every way.

Cities Skylines is sim city but the only really hard part is managing the traffic while still making your huge sprawling city look pretty. Europa Universalis and Crusader Kings both let you rule a medieval country and try to make do, but the former focuses on the expansion and country, while the latter is more about the intrigue and idiocy of the rulers. Oh and endless space and endless legend are fun, somewhere left of Civilization with weirder story and better battles. Hell, even Civ 6 has grown up into a good game. 5, too. And 4.

The fun thing was that although I didn’t even have a Steam account until 2020, the first games I bought were all 80s/early 90s games that I sat “second chair” for in jr high because I didn’t have a DOS system! It’s where I found GoG looking them up, and then found a Mass Effect deal that piqued my curiosity into all the games I’d seen people raving about years later!

Thanks for the suggestions, btw. I’m fat-fingering my way through Control and Rise of the Tomb Raider right now, games I got free when joining Amazon Gaming in preparation for playing New World in a couple of months when it settles down!

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

DerekSmartymans posted:

The fun thing was that although I didn’t even have a Steam account until 2020, the first games I bought were all 80s/early 90s games that I sat “second chair” for in jr high because I didn’t have a DOS system! It’s where I found GoG looking them up, and then found a Mass Effect deal that piqued my curiosity into all the games I’d seen people raving about years later!

Thanks for the suggestions, btw. I’m fat-fingering my way through Control and Rise of the Tomb Raider right now, games I got free when joining Amazon Gaming in preparation for playing New World in a couple of months when it settles down!

Your namesake's latest game Line of Defense is in closed beta, sure to release any time now! :v:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Fruits of the sea posted:

Your namesake's latest game Line of Defense is in closed beta, sure to release any time now! :v:

My Desktop Commander rig is ready and waiting! :D

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

The Lord Bude posted:

No. You can’t buy any version of windows for arm; windows arm is officially only available to OEMs for pre installation on arm devices. Using it in a VM to get windows on a Mac is an unauthorised work around; that’s why people are using the Dev preview to do it.

Microsoft seems to have absolutely no intention of providing any sort of offical arm windows version to end users; but they also appear to be turning a blind eye to this work around. That may change at any time however.

Amusingly, my Windows RT Surface still gets updates, and is apparently going to be supported through 2023.

It’s attached to a gooseneck in the kitchen for displaying recipe websites. Before that, it’s only use was playing chess via Chess.com

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Amusingly, my Windows RT Surface still gets updates, and is apparently going to be supported through 2023.

Wait. What? Not the OG?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Perhaps this goes here and maybe someone will be able to help me out.

As succinctly as possible, then: I booted up an old PC of mine built in 2014-2015, with Windows 8.1. Apparently Microsoft never shut down the Windows 10 upgrade servers after the free upgrade period ended, so I’ve been attempting to upgrade to 10 because I can’t even update my graphics drivers on 8.1 right now and few things run on it. Hell I can’t get steam or my BIOS utility to connect to the internet. Anyway, the upgrade attempt has failed five times. I have no idea why.

I did some research and took a lot of the suggestions that were feasible for me to take—my mobo was manufactured before Windows 10 came out so I flashed my BIOS (the latest BIOS was 2016 but was a beta so I flashed to the version just before that), I did all the Windows updates, I turned off Windows Defender. It always makes it to 73% installed and just fails, but gives no error code or reason why.

Now I have no idea where to go from here, I want to get this thing upgraded to 10 because it is still more powerful than my newer laptop and I can’t run my usual work programs on 8.1. Any ideas, or am I SOL?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
If you still have your Windows key, just wipe the drive and do a fresh install of 10.

You can also use this utility to read your Win 8.1 key https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Fame Douglas posted:

If you still have your Windows key, just wipe the drive and do a fresh install of 10.

You can also use this utility to read your Win 8.1 key https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

I'm pretty sure I did the install of 10 that my machine upgraded to 11 from with a Win 7 CD key, like a year after the upgrade window hypothetically closed.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
10 and 11 still accept 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 keys for fresh installs.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Thanks all. I’ll just try a fresh install, didn’t know I could use my windows 8 key. I suppose I could have gotten it off MSDN? Either way I had been hoping not to lose some of the programs I have, though I don’t have anything of importance on there worth backing up, so a fresh install it is

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'm pretty sure I did the install of 10 that my machine upgraded to 11 from with a Win 7 CD key, like a year after the upgrade window hypothetically closed.

Yeah they kinda just didn’t shut down the servers and never spoke of it again. And I wish I could upgrade to 11, don’t think it supports the CPU I have. My newer laptop doesn’t even have a supported CPU but meets all other requirements, even the CPU speed and number of cores. Can’t imagine my slightly older CPU in my PC will be supported on these grounds, but I guess I’ll squeeze out what life I can get from it because it’s too old to upgrade, I’ll have to start from scratch with a new mobo.

e: will doing a fresh install possibly fix the issue my BIOS flash caused where now it hangs up/freezes randomly for like a minute each time, and then recovers?

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Nov 11, 2021

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I bypassed the supported hardware check and am running Windows 11 with the machine I built to play Skyrim. I'm even getting updates. Go for it.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
What modern higher-compression compression format would normal users be most likely to figure out? I'm specifically looking for something better than .zip / .gz, and I don't know if people would be more likely to be willing to deal with .7z, .xz, .rar or .zst.

I'm in a mostly Mac / Linux environment dealing with huge volumes of very compressible data, and the effort of getting people to use zstd instead of gzip has been really fruitful. What's the situation in Windows-land?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Every now and then when I try some filesystem operation explorer (probably?) will just hang. The most recent case I’ve noticed it was when I was going to create a new folder, the explorer window or file dialog will just hang for like 30+ seconds. I believe I’ve also seen file copy hangs, where everything just takes 30 seconds to start copying (even if it’s local disk to local disk and both SSDs), which in hindsight I’m wondering if it’s related. It’s not a complete system hang, you can keep doing other stuff, but opening another explorer window often doesn’t work.

I originally attributed this to maybe something weird about using a spanned volume (on two EX920 SSDs), but this also occurs on a single nvme ssd on my new rig. The old rig is a 9900K and this is a 5700G, so two completely different chipsets/drivers, completely different brands/models of SSD (both very nice TLC/DRAM models), etc.

It’s not really the end of the world but any idea what’s going on there? Would be nice to fix if it’s something simple.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Twerk from Home posted:

What modern higher-compression compression format would normal users be most likely to figure out? I'm specifically looking for something better than .zip / .gz, and I don't know if people would be more likely to be willing to deal with .7z, .xz, .rar or .zst.

I'm in a mostly Mac / Linux environment dealing with huge volumes of very compressible data, and the effort of getting people to use zstd instead of gzip has been really fruitful. What's the situation in Windows-land?

7-zip.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I hosed up. Put it on USB and checked if my system was UEFI, determined via the Panther folder and the text file within it that it’s BIOS. Then accidentally wiped the partition, and Windows 10 won’t install from a MBR. I’m trying to find the tool and do a conversion so I can install 10, but I can’t boot up the PC now because Windows is wiped. So I have to convert it…I thought there was a tool I could download to do this but apparently not? I can’t find a download anywhere. Is it a tool or is it done manually?

Edit: to clarify, the text file in the Panther folder said the boot was BIOS, but on the boot install attempt for Windows 10, the installation insists it’s UEFI and I need to convert the USB drive with the installation files to UEFI

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Nov 13, 2021

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Paul MaudDib posted:

Every now and then when I try some filesystem operation explorer (probably?) will just hang. The most recent case I’ve noticed it was when I was going to create a new folder, the explorer window or file dialog will just hang for like 30+ seconds. I believe I’ve also seen file copy hangs, where everything just takes 30 seconds to start copying (even if it’s local disk to local disk and both SSDs), which in hindsight I’m wondering if it’s related. It’s not a complete system hang, you can keep doing other stuff, but opening another explorer window often doesn’t work.

I originally attributed this to maybe something weird about using a spanned volume (on two EX920 SSDs), but this also occurs on a single nvme ssd on my new rig. The old rig is a 9900K and this is a 5700G, so two completely different chipsets/drivers, completely different brands/models of SSD (both very nice TLC/DRAM models), etc.

It’s not really the end of the world but any idea what’s going on there? Would be nice to fix if it’s something simple.

I've had this too. Usually it's like creating or renaming a folder inside an Open File dialog so I blame myself but that's not quite right.

Growing pains.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

life is killing me posted:

I hosed up. Put it on USB and checked if my system was UEFI, determined via the Panther folder and the text file within it that it’s BIOS. Then accidentally wiped the partition, and Windows 10 won’t install from a MBR. I’m trying to find the tool and do a conversion so I can install 10, but I can’t boot up the PC now because Windows is wiped. So I have to convert it…I thought there was a tool I could download to do this but apparently not? I can’t find a download anywhere. Is it a tool or is it done manually?

Edit: to clarify, the text file in the Panther folder said the boot was BIOS, but on the boot install attempt for Windows 10, the installation insists it’s UEFI and I need to convert the USB drive with the installation files to UEFI

You can boot the USB drive either in MBR or UEFI mode. That determines whether Windows will install on a GPT partitioned system. So either boot your USB drive in Legacy mode, or:

If your Windows drive is partitioned as MBR, you can simply delete all partitions in the installer and click "next". If that doesn't work, press Shift + F10
diskpart
list disk
select disk (your drive)
clean

to delete everything.

After that, re-run setup and click next when it asks about partitioning.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Fame Douglas posted:

You can boot the USB drive either in MBR or UEFI mode. That determines whether Windows will install on a GPT partitioned system. So either boot your USB drive in Legacy mode, or:

If your Windows drive is partitioned as MBR, you can simply delete all partitions in the installer and click "next". If that doesn't work, press Shift + F10
diskpart
list disk
select disk (your drive)
clean

to delete everything.

After that, re-run setup and click next when it asks about partitioning.

Not sure I can even do that, the PC doesn’t boot because it wiped Windows 8; maybe it will when I put the USB drive back in because it should automatically boot from there. But without it the keyboard and mouse won’t even power up for me to go to BIOS because I can’t press [DEL].

I don’t remember if I deleted the system reserved partition or not, but I did format the other partition, didn’t delete it. I think I did delete the other partition after that to see if it would install, and it gave me the same error.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Twerk from Home posted:

7Z archive format
LZMA2 compression
7-Zip as the application to manage archives, compression, and decompression.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Paul MaudDib posted:

Are there any network drives mapped or anything like that? Even if it's neither the source nor destination of a file action, Windows will attempt to connect and enumerate its contents, and File Explorer will stop responding until it finishes or times out.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Toast Museum posted:

Are there any network drives mapped or anything like that? Even if it's neither the source nor destination of a file action, Windows will attempt to connect and enumerate its contents, and File Explorer will stop responding until it finishes or times out.

yes, several.

of course going to disconnect those drives, it immediately lags out when I right-click the drive as it tries to connect and enumerate, that's the exact same behavior and I just never made the connection, thanks!

so for the other person, one thing I recommend doing at home is to map your network drives either via IP directly, or to put the hostname/IP pairs into your windows hosts file. If the other system is up but it's taking too long to resolve it, that will fix that problem.

my problem case is the other machine isn't powered on at all, so it's presumably trying to connect and waiting for timeout. I do run OpenWRT on my router but I don't know if that gets me anywhere in terms of a service that can resolve a system as being definitively offline more quickly? I suppose maybe instead of using a hosts file, it would be better to put into some kind of dns daemon conf on the router? I think that would un-fix my other problem actually (since it can't be instantly resolved) but maybe for the other machines using dns properly would be a better solution.

Anyway I guess the fix is to disconnect those drives, then.

cc:

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I've had this too. Usually it's like creating or renaming a folder inside an Open File dialog so I blame myself but that's not quite right.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Not sure I can even do that, the PC doesn’t boot because it wiped Windows 8; maybe it will when I put the USB drive back in because it should automatically boot from there. But without it the keyboard and mouse won’t even power up for me to go to BIOS because I can’t press [DEL].

I don’t remember if I deleted the system reserved partition or not, but I did format the other partition, didn’t delete it. I think I did delete the other partition after that to see if it would install, and it gave me the same error.

Try putting the keyboard into the top or left most USB ports. Often they're the ones that the bios can use without issue because they're on a USB 2 controller. Depending on your systems' I/O they may be under a ps/2 port.
Once you can use the keyboard on boot you can either get into the bios or boot menu to select your boot device.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Rexxed posted:

Try putting the keyboard into the top or left most USB ports. Often they're the ones that the bios can use without issue because they're on a USB 2 controller. Depending on your systems' I/O they may be under a ps/2 port.
Once you can use the keyboard on boot you can either get into the bios or boot menu to select your boot device.

These ports on the back of the mainboard are usually black, while other ports are often blue, yellow or red. In addition, many Bios menus have the option of directly selecting a boot device with the F12 key. F10 might also be worth a try, as that often opens setup as well.

And the drive you want to clean is your Windows drive, not the USB install stick.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Nov 13, 2021

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Ynglaur posted:

7Z archive format
LZMA2 compression
7-Zip as the application to manage archives, compression, and decompression.

Also WinRAR opens 7zip archives which is good because that's what normies might have already.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Over time I hope that our good example dissuades people from using WinRAR in favor of 7-Zip. If they're using WinRAR it's at least possible they use an archive format other than ZIP.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

The Windows 10 installer USB stick, if you made it with the standard Media Creation Tool, is able to boot into both legacy BIOS and UEFI. If you made your USB stick some other way like converting a disc ISO, forget that and use the MCT.

To convert a drive to GPT, you can use diskpart and the command convert gpt (which is destructive). Or you can convert a drive non-destructively with the Win10 commandline tool MBR2GPT:
1. Get to a safemode command prompt either with the USB Installer, or from within windows using Settings > Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Command Prompt from within Win10.
2. run mbr2gpt /validate
3. run mbr2gpt /convert
(Obviously this is useless if you don't have the OS installed yet, but figured I'd mention it.)

edit: also is sounds like some BIOS setting may still be messing things up. Check that the sata controller is set to AHCI mode, not IDE emulation or RAID mode. Mobo RAID on older systems was frequently incompatible with UEFI booting.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Nov 13, 2021

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Converting is entirely unnecessary if that person is reinstalling. Just use the clean command and start fresh, or delete all partitions in the installer (at least the 11 installer will then automatically convert the disk, not sure about 10)

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Klyith posted:

The Windows 10 installer USB stick, if you made it with the standard Media Creation Tool, is able to boot into both legacy BIOS and UEFI. If you made your USB stick some other way like converting a disc ISO, forget that and use the MCT.

To convert a drive to GPT, you can use diskpart and the command convert gpt (which is destructive). Or you can convert a drive non-destructively with the Win10 commandline tool MBR2GPT:
1. Get to a safemode command prompt either with the USB Installer, or from within windows using Settings > Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Command Prompt from within Win10.
2. run mbr2gpt /validate
3. run mbr2gpt /convert
(Obviously this is useless if you don't have the OS installed yet, but figured I'd mention it.)

edit: also is sounds like some BIOS setting may still be messing things up. Check that the sata controller is set to AHCI mode, not IDE emulation or RAID mode. Mobo RAID on older systems was frequently incompatible with UEFI booting.

Thanks for this, I’ve had guests staying in the office this weekend but am gonna give this a go today.

When you give the non-destructive method (this is one I was going for), do you mean I can hit a command prompt without a bootable OS?

e: found answer to that question, so my follow-up question is, does the mbr2gpt command only work if windows is detected on the drive? Because mine is wiped, and it didn’t recognize any of those commands.

Can I convert the usb stick on another computer?

e2: I can’t even get to bios now. It keeps trying to repair Windows because Windows isn’t there anymore, and it skips straight to that without running the bios. I can get the repair GUI to take me to a repair from installation or recovery file, but of course it doesn’t recognize the file on the stick

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Nov 14, 2021

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

e: found answer to that question, so my follow-up question is, does the mbr2gpt command only work if windows is detected on the drive? Because mine is wiped, and it didn’t recognize any of those commands.
I'm not positive if will work, but the only reason to use mbr2gpt is on a drive with windows & data. If you've already deleted your old C: drive, use diskpart and clean to wipe the drive fully.

quote:

Can I convert the usb stick on another computer?
No, you don't convert the USB stick. If the stick was made with the Media Creation Tool, it is properly formatted and will work in both legacy bios and UEFI mode. If it wasn't, put the stick in a different computer and use the MCT.

quote:

e2: I can’t even get to bios now. It keeps trying to repair Windows because Windows isn’t there anymore, and it skips straight to that without running the bios. I can get the repair GUI to take me to a repair from installation or recovery file, but of course it doesn’t recognize the file on the stick

I think you situation is this:
• the HD isn't completely clean, you still have a windows boot volume but no system drive
• you aren't actually booting from the USB stick, you're booting from that volume on the HD which tries to repair (and fails)

So you want to get into the BIOS by hammering either del, or some other key as specified in your mobo manual, at boot. Potentially after hitting the reset button if it instantly goes into windows repair. Then you need to change boot order / use the boot menu to boot from the USB stick.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah it’s not giving me a chance to go to BIOS or it’s ignoring me completely and going to repair. I’ll keep trying.

And I’m going to the MBR2GPT tool because the Windows PE told me in partition selection that it couldn’t install on any partition, system or partition 0. It gave no reason. So failing conversion to GPT, I’m wanting to get back to booting from the stick to try another goon’s suggestion that I just delete all partitions and create a new partition. I was avoiding that before because from previous experiences I thought it wasn’t a good idea to mess with the system reserved partition. Is that not true?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

I was avoiding that before because from previous experiences I thought it wasn’t a good idea to mess with the system reserved partition. Is that not true?

This is 100% not true, Windows will create all the required partitions (EFI, recovery and boot) if you just click next. And you will even get the current style, with a larger recovery partition and the recovery partition at the end of the partition table if you do that instead of whatever happens to be present from earlier installations (Microsoft changed their layout recently). Converting anything only has disadvantages, start fresh. You don't need any partitions from an earlier installation and don't gain any advantage from having them.