Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I think I've still got some craftsman 19v batteries and a charger from like, 2009. If they're the same system as yours you're welcome to them if you can find a way to get them there, it's unlikely I'll remember to get them shipped but I can drop them with someone local or something.

I had them for a sawzall I used at the junkyard but it broke in like 2013 and I switched to another ecosystem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
Looks like Ryobi came out with an extended reach model with a rotating head... it actually looks really really nice.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

IIRC Torque Test tested it out and it was miles ahead of the Milwaukee, which was disappointingly weak given how nice the fuel tools usually are. I'm probably going to go with the Astro 90 degree air impact when I end up shelling out for one because it's something like $120-150 and I already have a compressor and hose.

You're probably thinking of their test of right angle impact wrenches with the Milwaukee and Kobalt, not sure who else even makes them at this point. The Milwaukee ended up being so weak it's questionable how much its worth over a regular electric ratchet, the Kobalt wasn't a powerhouse but it was a lot more powerful than the Milwaukee and provided about as much power as you can reasonably get out of a manual 3/8 ratchet with a breaker bar.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I really wish Bosch had more 12V tools in their ecosystem. I like their size and torque but only a hand full of tools that use it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

MomJeans420 posted:

It pains me to admit this because I've switched to the M12/M18 system, but my fairly old (I think ~10 years) 19V Craftsman drill / driver set is a lot more powerful than my new M12 FUEL set. I built a fence using these and only the Craftsman driver was powerful enough to get the screws all the way in. I bought the Craftsman for cheap when it already had the reputation of being much worse than the Craftsman of old, so I thought the modern M12 FUEL would be a lot more powerful despite the lower voltage. I wouldn't even recommend the Craftsman to a friend, but for me it's been abused and neglected yet had zero issues for 10 years and it still has decent power.

So either the M12 is too weak or I just lucked out on a Craftsman purchase. My Ryobi 40V yard tools have worked very well, but I don't know how well that carries over into their ratchets.

m12 is generally good but yeah it will still lack power compared to higher voltage systems.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

BraveUlysses posted:

imo the huge loving battery is a negative to me. getting to where you need to be and having room to work with it is the most important part.

also big thanks to sharkytm for giving me the honda valve tool, he even covered the shipping.

LOL. I should have checked the thread before PMing you. Glad it got there, and like I said, pay it forward.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Suburban Dad posted:

Is the Ryobi cordless ratchet decent? Looking to buy one. Matches my current batteries but looks quite a bit bigger than other brands ratchets since it uses the same batteries as my drill, etc. Thoughts on getting a one off outside the current eco system?

I have a whole bunch of Ryobi stuff but I have stayed away from the ratchet because the battery design just doesn't lend itself to a ratchet that can get into tight spots. If anything I would say go with the extended reach unit since it keeps the battery further away from the work end. I think maybe the cordless ratchet segment is perhaps best served by slimmer 12V tools.

Does anyone have any thoughts on siphon feed vs pressure pot media blasters? I have a cheapo siphon feed unit, but it jams up a lot even with fine coal slag media. It also doesn't seem to have quite enough oomph to blast rusty iron parts efficiently. I am feeding it with a pretty big compressor (240V motor, 60 gallon tank). Should I be adjusting the pressure regulator down? It is currently set to ~90 psi.

Does anyone have a good way to get grease out of a wire brush/wire wheel?

PBCrunch fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Nov 10, 2021

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

PBCrunch posted:

Does anyone have a good way to get grease out of a wire brush/wire wheel?

Liberal use of brake clean / parts cleaner.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Dip it in gasoline, it makes the first spark after cleaning extra exciting

Seriously though, a good soak in wd40 followed by rinsing with acetone will remove all but the most stubborn gunk.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

slidebite posted:

I really wish Bosch had more 12V tools in their ecosystem. I like their size and torque but only a hand full of tools that use it.

Frickin' same, my 12V Bosch kit does 90% of the work around the house now and I went so far as to put in a product request for a 12V 3/8" ratchet. That was about six months ago and I got a polite but very form letter so I am not holding out much hope for one to be produced any time soon.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
I thought the point of the new m12 fuel ratchet was that it just zipped stuff on/off and was the only one that was rated to hand torque stuff on/off as well? So you get it started/finish it and do the rest with the tool. I know nobody listens to that and everyone uses them to manually torque away at the beginning/end anyway but I thought that was the pitch.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Suburban Dad posted:

Is the Ryobi cordless ratchet decent? Looking to buy one. Matches my current batteries but looks quite a bit bigger than other brands ratchets since it uses the same batteries as my drill, etc. Thoughts on getting a one off outside the current eco system?

I've used both it and my LXT (18v) Makita back to back.

If you're not already bought into an ecosystem, its A-OK since you're already on Ryobi, definite buy.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

I have the extended length, M12 fuel ratchet and it is ok, I guess? Kinda heavy and and the motor itself doesn't put out a ton of torque. But with the extended reach you have a long lever to yank on, if you dare. I might like it more if I needed to spin bolts every day?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

kastein posted:

I think I've still got some craftsman 19v batteries and a charger from like, 2009. If they're the same system as yours you're welcome to them if you can find a way to get them there, it's unlikely I'll remember to get them shipped but I can drop them with someone local or something.

I had them for a sawzall I used at the junkyard but it broke in like 2013 and I switched to another ecosystem.

Thanks but I'm going to move to the M18 drill anyway, I've just been waiting for my 19v craftsman to die and they are surpassing all expectations. I can pick it up after not using it for a year and there's seemingly no battery loss, which I'm assuming can't be true but I don't even remember the last time I charged the batteries. If only I had purchased a lotto ticket the same day I picked these up because they were cheap and available at the local store.

builds character posted:

I thought the point of the new m12 fuel ratchet was that it just zipped stuff on/off and was the only one that was rated to hand torque stuff on/off as well? So you get it started/finish it and do the rest with the tool. I know nobody listens to that and everyone uses them to manually torque away at the beginning/end anyway but I thought that was the pitch.

I'm assuming that's the point but I did use it to remove the bolts for my OEM roof rails and it did that as long as I did a "tighten first, then loosen" sequence

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

MomJeans420 posted:

Thanks but I'm going to move to the M18 drill anyway, I've just been waiting for my 19v craftsman to die and they are surpassing all expectations. I can pick it up after not using it for a year and there's seemingly no battery loss, which I'm assuming can't be true but I don't even remember the last time I charged the batteries. If only I had purchased a lotto ticket the same day I picked these up because they were cheap and available at the local store.

I'm assuming that's the point but I did use it to remove the bolts for my OEM roof rails and it did that as long as I did a "tighten first, then loosen" sequence

Does anyone make a 19V to M18 battery adaptor? No reason to toss a good tool. (Channeling my inner The post apocalyptic inventor)

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Before I spend way too much on a shop vac to dedicate to detailing and general shop cleanup- is there a good heavy duty vac that anyone would recommend?
I have the small 5 gal, but I always seem to miss the power of the larger vac I gave my brother.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-...1956B/308710795

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

the spyder posted:

Before I spend way too much on a shop vac to dedicate to detailing and general shop cleanup- is there a good heavy duty vac that anyone would recommend?
I have the small 5 gal, but I always seem to miss the power of the larger vac I gave my brother.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-...1956B/308710795

I have a rigid slightly smaller than that one. It's powerful (6 hp, 14 gallon)and great except for some really, really annoying things. One, the filter just pushes over a nub but there's nothing locking it on. You collect too much junk and the filter just falls off, sending dusty poo poo out the other side. Not great when it happens indoors. Then there's the holder with all the attachments. Gets in the way and is cumbersome when emptying it. I've resigned to throwing all that poo poo into a 5 gallon bucket and carrying it separately. Two things I hadn't really thought about before buying.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

MomJeans420 posted:

Thanks but I'm going to move to the M18 drill anyway,

Hell ya they're loving baller.

Like they hold charge forever and have more than enough torque for my needs.

I do wish the low end strength was lower but that's just the tool muses telling me to get an electric screwdriver.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Right now the M18 metal-cutting circular saw is my favorite power tool. It'll slice through heavy steel pipe or thin sheet metal, with no burr and no heat. I legit believe it could cut through 1" steel road plate (very slowly). I use the carbide-tipped ferrous blade as a utility saw for steel, aluminum, 2x4s, whatever. I even cut some carbon fiber/foam sandwich panel the other day, and it cut it very cleanly, no chipping and hardly any delamination.

Use the Milwaukee blades, though. I've had cheap carbide blades strip teeth very easily.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BraveUlysses posted:

m12 is generally good but yeah it will still lack power compared to higher voltage systems.

The number makes them seem two thirds as powerful, but they’re actually more like three fifths, three cells in series versus five.

Every brand is guilty of the “20V MAX” lie with “12 V” tools.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Doesn't every milwaukee owner have a mix of M12 and M18 tools? Comes down to weight and power on a tool-by-tool basis.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ryanrs posted:

Doesn't every milwaukee owner have a mix of M12 and M18 tools? Comes down to weight and power on a tool-by-tool basis.

What’s the point in sticking with Milwaukee for eighteen‐volt tools? It’s not like the two lines share anything besides the minor tidiness of the combination charger.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
hellooooo red and black

antoolfa

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Platystemon posted:

What’s the point in sticking with Milwaukee for eighteen‐volt tools?

Because they make sure you bust that nut.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Suburban Dad posted:

I have a rigid slightly smaller than that one. It's powerful (6 hp, 14 gallon)and great except for some really, really annoying things. One, the filter just pushes over a nub but there's nothing locking it on. You collect too much junk and the filter just falls off, sending dusty poo poo out the other side. Not great when it happens indoors. Then there's the holder with all the attachments. Gets in the way and is cumbersome when emptying it. I've resigned to throwing all that poo poo into a 5 gallon bucket and carrying it separately. Two things I hadn't really thought about before buying.

It's not 6HP.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

sharkytm posted:

It's not 6HP.

You want to be this pedantic?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
That’s marketing nonsense.

You can’t get more than two horses out of a typical U.S. outlet at nominal capacity. That can be exceeded briefly without opening the breaker, but we’re talking under ten seconds.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well actually,

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

That's like someone posting pics of their 2,000 hp civic. Just, no. It's not 6 hp.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Lol I'm not boasting about it. It's what it's marketed/rated/sold as like most other shop vacs. Point of comparison against others if nothing else.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

I know, but stuff like that can't help but get the electricians in the room riled up, heh.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Yeah that's kind of like if we all decided to measure our 0-60 time based entirely on how loud the engine is when you floor it from the line instead of the actual 0-60 time.

I can design a motor to have a crazy high "peak hp" or "developed hp" without actually having high horsepower. Those numbers are simultaneously meaningless and actually bad if they're bigger - all it means is the motor start inrush current is high. So a crummy inefficient motor with a lot of extra rotating mass is going to have a really high "developed hp" for the marketing cancer folks to fap about but not really much real horsepower.

Just use the real numbers, not the "I measured from the back of the balls" numbers the professional liars want you to use.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Next you're going to tell me these 12TB drives I just bought don't actually hold 12TB

(I know how it's calculated but it pisses me off to plug them in and see only 11TB, I got robbed of a whole TB of storage)

the spyder posted:

Does anyone make a 19V to M18 battery adaptor? No reason to toss a good tool. (Channeling my inner The post apocalyptic inventor)

That would be a very niche item, I'm sure someone with time and a 3d printer could make something but I'm going to hand these tools down to my nephew and see how long they can withstand a teenager.

Platystemon posted:

What’s the point in sticking with Milwaukee for eighteen‐volt tools? It’s not like the two lines share anything besides the minor tidiness of the combination charger.

I already have Rigid 18V batteries and they have a pretty decent tool system but I can't imagine they have the amount of tools that the M18 system has. The combination charger also sounds nice, although I have a feeling most people here have a place in their garage that looks like mine - a bunch of chargers for different batteries, all hooked to a power strip so I can at least turn them all off at the same time. My Rigid 18V work fan has been absolutely amazing though, I wish I had purchased one 10 years ago.

MomJeans420 fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 11, 2021

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Project farm liked the Craftsman shop vac and said the Bauer is the best value for the dollar but pointed out it only has a 90 day warranty which he's not a fan of. It also depends what you're picking up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSN7PXwn1yU

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

kastein posted:

all it means is the motor start inrush current is high

Is THAT what they're claiming is 6 HP? I was assuming it was just a straight up lie on the box, but that is somehow even more shameful / hilarious.

e: not you, suburban dad, but the vacuum makers

ryanrs fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Nov 11, 2021

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Yup. Literally what it is. https://www.intervacdesign.com/f4/The-Truth-About-Vacuum-Horsepower.htm

It's complete bullshit.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

lmao

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
To be fair, hp is probably at least useful for comparing different vacuums made by the same company at the same time. Not that pure power is really that important beyond "big vac for the basement/garage" vs "little vac for detailing".

To answer the question though, I've been a big fan of the Shop Vac I got about a decade ago for half off on Black Friday. You might want to just see what comes up on sale.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I'm aiming for a Black Friday deal.

Though I've found in my reading, the Rigid I have is highly recommended. Maybe I just need to spring for a wall mounted vac. My main issue is the drat things gets kicked around the shop. A wall vac would solve that, provide tool and hose storage. If I need to take one out of it's reach, I have the small rigid or a older 16gal craftsman from our barn.

https://www.amazon.com/Bissell-Garage-Wall-Mounted-Vacuum-18P03/dp/B003R3JFJO?th=1

I'll keep reading.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

kastein posted:

Yeah that's kind of like if we all decided to measure our 0-60 time based entirely on how loud the engine is when you floor it from the line instead of the actual 0-60 time.

I can design a motor to have a crazy high "peak hp" or "developed hp" without actually having high horsepower. Those numbers are simultaneously meaningless and actually bad if they're bigger - all it means is the motor start inrush current is high. So a crummy inefficient motor with a lot of extra rotating mass is going to have a really high "developed hp" for the marketing cancer folks to fap about but not really much real horsepower.

Just use the real numbers, not the "I measured from the back of the balls" numbers the professional liars want you to use.

I prefer to compare it to measuring wheelspeed increase during a clutch dump, and assuming that acceleration will be for the duration of the 0-60.

I love that they chill the motors to -30°C to get the numbers up.

yup

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Nov 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

This looks really slick. It makes hose clamps on demand out of steel wire!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=982bm_fEm7c

e: only grudgingly linking https://clamptitetools.com because the site has an annoying banner