Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I always get wrecked against the kings and queens. I think the best I've done is killed the viper king once in a playthrough. Otherwise I have no strategy that doesn't get me severely hosed up then they run away.

The one thing to really keep in mind is that in WOTC they only react to actions that they can see, so Reapers/Rangers in concealment can help you set up overwatch ambushes, Sharpshooter squadsight attacks, indirect Grenadier bombardments, or free actions like the Hunter's Axe. They also take a fair amount of damage from damage-over-time effects, and are just as vulnerable to repeaters as any other enemy.

Basic Chunnel posted:

It's good to have Reapers to scout them / ensure you don't pull pods and gunslingers to take advantage of free actions. Played cannily you can get them to flee before they can do any real damage.

Yeah pod management is huge with them, because you really don't want to tangle with anyone else at the same time. I mean it's already basically the heart of the game, but Rulers really emphasize that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Kaal posted:

They also [...] are just as vulnerable to repeaters as any other enemy.

It's not a strategy so much as a "go away" button made of cheese, but this is the way to get rid of them easily. Reaper, Superior Repeater, Superior Expanded Magazine, Banish. Not literally guaranteed but a very good chance of instantly killing them, with a good chunk of damage even it doesn't outright execute, and you can do it as the starting move to break stealth.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Another WoTC tip is prioritize a training center and get things like chain shot and rapid fire which let you shoot twice. Getting the alien ruler in one go is nice but really you just want to do enough damage that it leaves before you get particularly mauled and the key to that is massive damage any way you can do it.

A more general tip is that Sparks are immune to a lot of the bullshit alien rulers can do and also they shred armor and can shoot three times.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Horsebanger posted:

Replayed XCOM 2/WOTC on the weekend and I'm just piping in to say it still owns.

Yeah I've been going back on a WOTC kick myself. I was playing around with a L/I run, but I ended up going back to C/I/Beta Strike. I just feel like Legendary forces such a specific playstyle to succeed that it ends up cutting out too much of the game. I like playing where you can come up with a good system and then fly by the seat of your pants with a little bit of everything, rather than only choosing the absolute best classes / critical abilities / important research / necessary facilities / perfect strategies / etc. I can certainly see why a lot of the L/I folks end up modding the crap out their games, first to put in all the critical GUI info that is so easy to miss, and then to put in other classes and enemies that can compete with rangers and grenadiers.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Kind of surprised that Chimera Squad wasn't released on the Switch. Was just playing it and thought I would like it on the go.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

giving long war of the chosen a shot. now, I'm not exactly good at xcom, but jesus christ, even on rookie it feels like the game hates me personally for playing it and is trying as hard as it can to get me to stop. still trucking though

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Well that Archon King is a complete prick.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
archon king is definitely the worst, guaranteed to hurt a player or two when he does his magic missile thing because you only have enough time to move one player

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I've been playing modded, complete with enemies and maps; so far haven't had any issues with pathfinders despite seeing complaints about them, though I am playing on medium. Something I hadn't known about WOTC was that you can actually buy the skill you didn't pick for ability points, so sounds like your dudes can get pretty ridiculous. I'm not sure I like that it takes away that hard choice tho.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

moist turtleneck posted:

archon king is definitely the worst, guaranteed to hurt a player or two when he does his magic missile thing because you only have enough time to move one player

Yeah i’m going to need to have a re-do of him,he pasted me.

Do all the rulers regen health in between their escapes? Viper queen had tons of health missing on my second encounter.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Yeah i’m going to need to have a re-do of him,he pasted me.

Do all the rulers regen health in between their escapes? Viper queen had tons of health missing on my second encounter.

They don't regenerate any health between escapes, so you can eventually whittle them down.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Kaal posted:

They don't regenerate any health between escapes, so you can eventually whittle them down.

Cool i think i can chip away then.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

moist turtleneck posted:

Note that a move that doesn't count as an action is a freebie, as usual with them. The Berserker Queen suit charge or grappling hooks are the main ones I can think of but there might be others. If you can stomach going into battle in more light armor, that can help you out against that particular move.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Haha gently caress you Berserker queen!

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Now wear her skin for free moves!

And quietly whisper a prayer of thanks that when she had it, her skin didn't come equipped with rockets.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Akratic Method posted:

Now wear her skin for free moves!

And quietly whisper a prayer of thanks that when she had it, her skin didn't come equipped with rockets.

On it like an unexpected flaming car bonnet.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

I’m hunting down the warlock but the mission keeps crashing the game errgh!

Also the warlock used a line i’ve never heard before “to think i once considered myself a part of your race” well that’s new for me.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I’m hunting down the warlock but the mission keeps crashing the game errgh!

Also the warlock used a line i’ve never heard before “to think i once considered myself a part of your race” well that’s new for me.

I believe that all of the Chosen are gene-modded humans who were promised rulership of the Earth if they could put down XCOM and prepare the world for the unknown threat that the Elders are worried about.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
The lore behind the Chosen is pretty loving grim if you dig into it. They were human, once, but have been so radically transformed that any memories and personality traits they retain are likely still pretty suspect and may even have been outright programmed into them.

There's a good chance that none of them were willing participants in this process; the Warlock himself was literally a child who spontaneously manifested enormous psionic powers, and the Elders threw ADVENT goons at him - ignoring a 94% casualty rate, which indicates he very much did not want to go with them - until they managed to capture him. They proceeded to begin hybridizing him via alien gene therapy in order to cultivate his powers, which caused him to become increasingly hysterical as psychic visions drove him into psychosis. This process was so harrowing that even the ADVENT research lead obliquely expressed doubt in the Elders' will, on record, in his lab notes - and that guilt ultimately drove him to go renegade and try to break the kid out of the gene therapy tank. By this point the Warlock is so powerful and so insane that he simply blows up the entire facility, research lead included, with his mind (likely via spectral zombies); the Elders are nevertheless able to control him via the invasive psionic visions they've been sending him. It is unclear how long he spent in that tank.

This dude was a kid.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I don’t think i ever learned any of that lore from the game

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Captain Foo posted:

I don’t think i ever learned any of that lore from the game

It's in the Archives that you can access aboard the Avenger.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

BlazetheInferno posted:

That would take away from my time budget of dressing up all my soldiers though

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

BlazetheInferno posted:

I've played this game for like 200 hours and this is the first I have ever heard of this. Where is there an archive??

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Mesadoram posted:

Kind of surprised that Chimera Squad wasn't released on the Switch. Was just playing it and thought I would like it on the go.

It does seem like a good title for the Switch and mobile platforms in general. Maybe we'll see it there someday.
It's a bummer that so many good Switch ports are not released simultaneously with the other platforms.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Muscle Tracer posted:

I've played this game for like 200 hours and this is the first I have ever heard of this. Where is there an archive??

Commanders quarters - Xcom archives

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
There's a surprising amount of lore tucked away in those XCOM Archives, actually. Bradford even points them out to the player in an early bit of dialogue, I just forget whether it's exclusive to the Tutorial or not.

For example, it confirms that XCOM canonically failed the Base Defense mission in Enemy Within, which implies that they managed to successfully assault the Alien Base. That or the aliens said "gently caress it, sequence-breaking"

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Archon king is daaaahn baby! I think the alien rulers DLC (plus the cosmetic pack i got with it) was pretty good,i would have liked a bit more vahlen (so i can strangle the bitch) but it was fun.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BlazetheInferno posted:

There's a surprising amount of lore tucked away in those XCOM Archives, actually. Bradford even points them out to the player in an early bit of dialogue, I just forget whether it's exclusive to the Tutorial or not.

For example, it confirms that XCOM canonically failed the Base Defense mission in Enemy Within, which implies that they managed to successfully assault the Alien Base. That or the aliens said "gently caress it, sequence-breaking"

Well to be fair, that's what happened to me on my first EW playthrough as well :v:

Turns out I was playing canonically!

Malah
May 18, 2015

TIL that I can, in fact, snap target directly at airborne units with grenades in XC1. I always replaced grenades(/engineers) with rockets later in the game because ime grenade scaling fell off a cliff later, because I couldn't hit anything in the air with them unless I could manage trick shots off other objects to bounce into splash range. >1k hours in Firaxiscom EW/1LW/2/WOTC and I've just somehow moused over an airborne enemy while trying to flashbang a floater overwatch death ball.

:psyduck:

These games are so good. They never stop delivering! I'm also wishing I had trained more Engineers early game now! gently caress!

e: jesus christ I can do it with rockets too :lol: I haven't had that lightbulb feeling of "OH poo poo YEAH!!" in like 300 hours this is great, I'm pausing mid-base assault to lmao heartily

Malah fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Nov 15, 2021

Malah
May 18, 2015

I underestimated Long War's sadism and got decked for it.

Doing base assault and I forgot that it forces a high level muton elite leader. I haven't fought LW elites in a while and have yet to encounter/autopsy them this playthrough so I didn't know their abilities.

Muton elites get squadsight and covering fire. Enemy overwatch applies at squadsight range, which is hilariously broken but understandable why it works for them and not us.

So my Rocketeer stood up to fire and got erased from downtown by a muton elite she couldn't see or hit, on her own turn. :xcom:

Malah fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Nov 15, 2021

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Oh yeah, like first action every turn needs to be a scout, unless you're 110% sure of what's out there. LW expects, insists that you be counting enemies when the pods shows for its activation scramble move.

Malah
May 18, 2015

LW ABA is such a rude mission on higher difficulty because of Itchy Trigger Finger and the forced spawns; I wanted someone with Titan Armor taking point so that they don't get obliterated by a pod reveal via ITF, but I didn't sit and wait on my next tier to build because alien research was getting gnarly. My A Team is also out because I got a terror mission in a country aliens just built a base in (still gotta take it or it'll spike continent panic! woo!!) so I'm leading with a concealment scout instead of a bulkier lightning reflexes point man.

I planned around three things: ITF, cyberdisk boss, psi fuckery. I figured concealment scout would let my LMG gunner and Mayhem sniper annihilate the Dreadnought and force pods to move up instead of dinging my assault/MEC on reveal. I haven't had enough extreme distance/duration engagements to know how the weird AI/perk interactions in those scenarios bc of how hard 2 pushed alpha striking, so this was, uh, a valuable reminder that not having autopsied an alien yet isn't an excuse for not knowing what perks it has.

Tbf I obliterated the cyberdisk with like a 34 crit from gauss, this plan was working fantastically until I got sucker punched by that muton elite pack because I forgot that also gets forced. I'm okay with it, pure :xcom:

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Your tales of sadistic cruelty are giving me messed up urges to play LW XCOM1 again.

KNR
May 3, 2009
Every time I feel that way I have to remind myself that LW1 also features landed larges where you start on a 3-4 tile strip of land alongside the ship with no cover and multiple alien bases which end with a dozen high level enemies jamming their way through a single door with broken line of sight.

Malah
May 18, 2015

Akratic Method posted:

Oh yeah, like first action every turn needs to be a scout, unless you're 110% sure of what's out there. LW expects, insists that you be counting enemies when the pods shows for its activation scramble move.
Normally I like to do the activate -> shoot -> run overwatch with LR to reopen the disc -> finishing shot routine on cyberdisks but I went all-in on range to protect my back-liners since I don't have power armor yet and welp!

Mission highlights so far:

Lena is strong and my friend.

Skipping past my rocketeer getting shot from a screen away from twice her health, Lena lines up a shot to avenge her fallen comrade!

LENA! I NEEDED A HIGH ROLL THERE! Low energy!! :sad:

Wait, I give my scout an Arc Thrower because I always try to capture the Sectoid Commander for thematic reasons and nobody else had room for it. I have a better idea for it, though!

Welcome to Earth! Please hold.

GET OFF MY PLANET :fuckoff: oh dear I punched that elite so hard his model vanished

Where was I?

"Looks like you're coming home with us!" :getin: what was that about keeping my conceal scout out of harm's way?

Akratic Method posted:

Your tales of sadistic cruelty are giving me messed up urges to play LW XCOM1 again.
Yeah, I had an itch to play Long War again after my latest WOTC run. Something about all the moving pieces and options to play with appeals to me; Training Roulette style setups are too random for my comfort, but I might try some RPGO madness next after how much fun I'm having obliterating things with Lena. She lucked out on NQE min-max rolls for good aim (I have a similar Rocketeer with Rapid Reaction that's really funny too) and with the Gauss Sniper (single shot magazine but HEAT + crit pierce) she's been getting some comical shots. I'll show her off later.

KNR posted:

Every time I feel that way I have to remind myself that LW1 also features landed larges where you start on a 3-4 tile strip of land alongside the ship with no cover and multiple alien bases which end with a dozen high level enemies jamming their way through a single door with broken line of sight.
I see your month one landed transport and raise you landed transport and landed abductor. That transport was probably the hardest mission I've ever done: I started in front of the goddamned open cockpit, popped motion tracker and heard floaters, so I moved forward to find six goddamned outsiders instead. :shepface: Pure dumb luck prevailed when the outsiders humped the explosive power source (blew them to hell with rockets, RIP power sources/flight computers) and the chryssalids mulched themselves on a CCS assault.

Pulling that outsider pod should have ended my campaign lmao

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

KNR posted:

I'm a profoundly broken human and loving loved those missions. I'm pretty decent at XCOM, and having the game manage to construct a situation, however contrived and overtuned*, that gives me that "oh god what how what" excitement is great.

*gently caress that Furies mission though, that's my limit

Malah
May 18, 2015

The objectively correct move here is to just kill the muton sentry with Mayhem area suppression splash damage. However: that muton is next to a rail.

What I have instead is a Kinetic Strike Module and a dream. :allears:

:frogout: Worth every second of that wound timer.

I think I'll poke around with RPGO or w/e it's called tomorrow and see what I can do with it, I'm not mentally prepared for a base defense.

Malah fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Nov 16, 2021

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I haven’t played in a while, but that last post reminded me of punching a Thin Man into a truck (which then exploded) with a MEC.

That was maybe one of the most satisfying moments I’ve ever had in either game, after playing the originals relentlessly and being in on the reboot since launch day.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Malah posted:

I think I'll poke around with RPGO or w/e it's called tomorrow and see what I can do with it, I'm not mentally prepared for a base defense.

I'd argue that you might want to play with Random Classes as a second wave option for RPGO. It's like Training Roulette in that it gives you random specialisations basically perk trees) but because the specialisations are weapon based they're at least coherent. you could even pair that with the Commanders Choice second wave option of you want some control over how your soldiers turn out by giving them acess to some supporting trees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Malah posted:

The objectively correct move here is to just kill the muton sentry with Mayhem area suppression splash damage. However: that muton is next to a rail.

What I have instead is a Kinetic Strike Module and a dream. :allears:

:frogout: Worth every second of that wound timer.

Flipping enemy ragdolls over half cover walls and robocoping them through walls at every conceivable opportunity is the entire purpose of mechs. Can you believe there were losers that picked the flamethrower?