Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

FunkyAl posted:

With those, I don't think there was a studio! When they talk about at least the earliest ullmans it sounds like David Silverman and a very few other people doing the animation. These drawings look Silverman-y, it may just be that he was animating most of it and had more control than he would with a studio.

That would definitely make sense. It's kind of strange how those shorts had the more "perfected" look of the more compact and fluid animation design, like you can see how much more three dimensional they move when he's doing the animation. I don't know why Klasky-Csupo had such a had time with reproducing that other than just lack of talent. It's almost like they took a step back when KC did the first and second seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Annabel Pee posted:

I just looked this up, so min wage in 1994 was $4.25, min now is $7.25. $5 an hour is equivalent to $9.33 an hour today, seems low but I don't remember if the joke was that?

I dunno, don't ask me how the economy works.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I think this has come up in the thread before, but the Babysitter Bandit episode was supposed to be the premiere. they got back the animation and it was so incredibly lovely that the episide had to be redone entirely... just wildly off-model and badly done. it almost sank the show before it even started.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Empty Sandwich posted:

I think this has come up in the thread before, but the Babysitter Bandit episode was supposed to be the premiere. they got back the animation and it was so incredibly lovely that the episide had to be redone entirely... just wildly off-model and badly done. it almost sank the show before it even started.

Did they ever release that version?

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
i think there were clips of it on the season 1 dvd

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I want to say Brooks in particular took one look at it and was like, "wtf is this poo poo send it back and make those fuckers do it again or everyone is fired".

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

mycophobia posted:

i think there were clips of it on the season 1 dvd

Oh yeah wow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_aRpQIIAq8

That looks more like an episode you'd try to sell to the network or something and not a fully finished episode.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Still looks better than season 33 animation.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

AHH F/UGH posted:

That would definitely make sense. It's kind of strange how those shorts had the more "perfected" look of the more compact and fluid animation design, like you can see how much more three dimensional they move when he's doing the animation. I don't know why Klasky-Csupo had such a had time with reproducing that other than just lack of talent. It's almost like they took a step back when KC did the first and second seasons.

I wonder if the change from doing 5 minute shorts to doing 25 minutes of animation is part of the reason. If you look at television animation, it wasn't exactly a high point. You had stuff like G.I. Joe with very stiff animation that made heavy use of reusing shots, you had stuff like the Super Mario Super Show which had a ton of errors in every episode. I could be wrong about that though.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

https://youtu.be/QByngWaOs_8

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I think the new one is supposed to be a parody of A Serious Man, but I don't know that movie so I can't say how closely it follows it. Also, it does another opening with the Fargo text too. The whole episode feels a lot more like a Fargo than anything else.

The bad guys kill and graphically chop up the rich Texan's body over a debt he owes the main one (Brian Cox)

Ned finds a ton of money in a bag in the woods and donates it to the orphanage in the name of his grandfather (Ned Flanders the 1st). He gets on the news and draws the attention of the bad guys who lost the money years ago or something. The bad guys rough up Comic Book Guy to find out where Flanders is, and he calls Fat Tony to complain about not being protected for his protection money.

The bad guys get Flanders' address, but lose it and wind up at the Simpsons and kidnap Homer instead. The bad guys call Ned and threaten Homer's life to get their money. Marge starts looking for Homer.

Ned starts dating the orphanage owner (Cristin Milioti) who is a Minnesota stereotype. They go back to her place but he finds out she's married to Sideshow Mel and they have an "arrangement".

Fat Tony confronts the bad guys at a donut shop where Marge is looking for Homer. Disco Stu, the Springfield mobster, and Mr. Burns are killed in the shootout. Marge finds Homer's company ID badge after the bad guy leaves.

TO BE CONTINUED

Not a ton of jokes in this one, but because it's aping Fargo, it's :siren: actually not too bad an episode :siren:

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

PostNouveau posted:

I think the new one is supposed to be a parody of A Serious Man, but I don't know that movie so I can't say how closely it follows it. Also, it does another opening with the Fargo text too. The whole episode feels a lot more like a Fargo than anything else.

The bad guys kill and graphically chop up the rich Texan's body over a debt he owes the main one (Brian Cox)

Ned finds a ton of money in a bag in the woods and donates it to the orphanage in the name of his grandfather (Ned Flanders the 1st). He gets on the news and draws the attention of the bad guys who lost the money years ago or something. The bad guys rough up Comic Book Guy to find out where Flanders is, and he calls Fat Tony to complain about not being protected for his protection money.

The bad guys get Flanders' address, but lose it and wind up at the Simpsons and kidnap Homer instead. The bad guys call Ned and threaten Homer's life to get their money. Marge starts looking for Homer.

Ned starts dating the orphanage owner (Cristin Milioti) who is a Minnesota stereotype. They go back to her place but he finds out she's married to Sideshow Mel and they have an "arrangement".

Fat Tony confronts the bad guys at a donut shop where Marge is looking for Homer. Disco Stu, the Springfield mobster, and Mr. Burns are killed in the shootout. Marge finds Homer's company ID badge after the bad guy leaves.

TO BE CONTINUED

Not a ton of jokes in this one, but because it's aping Fargo, it's :siren: actually not too bad an episode :siren:

I say this as a huge fan of A Serious Man. Who the gently caress was asking for a parody of A Serious Man? This would be like if they did an actual Barton Fink episode.

And yeah, none of the plot points you mention are from A Serious Man. It sounds like it's just No Country For Old Men + Fargo.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Skrill.exe posted:

I say this as a huge fan of A Serious Man. Who the gently caress was asking for a parody of A Serious Man? This would be like if they did an actual Barton Fink episode.

And yeah, none of the plot points you mention are from A Serious Man. It sounds like it's just No Country For Old Men + Fargo.

It's titled "A Serious Flanders" but it seemed all Fargo to me

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Oh yeah wow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_aRpQIIAq8

That looks more like an episode you'd try to sell to the network or something and not a fully finished episode.

Something I find charming in retrospect about the whole Simpsons concept is how nobody involved in making it has the slightest idea what goes on in a nuclear power plant.

Also drat, June Foray :eyepop:

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

AHH F/UGH posted:

They talk too about visual ideas they had that didn't pan exactly, picture frames changing every scene and kind of abstract modern things happening with doorways and the home's layout. It's experimental, and as the show gets older these choices are abandoned in favor of safer ones. KC had the best colors, and were the people who animated bart's backward talking head.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Fat Tony is a good character but dunno why he seems to pop up in so many new episodes. (Checks Simpsons wiki) apparently he was replaced by Fit-Fat Tony and I’m closing that browser tab now.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

PostNouveau posted:

It's titled "A Serious Flanders" but it seemed all Fargo to me

Why bother invoking A Serious Man at all? FarD'oh! is right there.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Skrill.exe posted:

...I was saying Barton Fink...

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Skrill.exe posted:

this really is just modern simpsons in a nutshell.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

FunkyAl posted:

They talk too about visual ideas they had that didn't pan exactly, picture frames changing every scene and kind of abstract modern things happening with doorways and the home's layout. It's experimental, and as the show gets older these choices are abandoned in favor of safer ones. KC had the best colors, and were the people who animated bart's backward talking head.

I dunno if I agree with that last part. Roman did an amazing job in so many cases...

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Skrill.exe posted:

sexpig by night posted:

this really is just modern simpsons in a nutshell.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Hakkesshu posted:

Season 10 is the last season I will watch. Like yeah, it's not particularly strong (The Alec Baldwin/Kim Basinger episode is the first time I recall thinking celebrity appearances felt super forced)

That episode is the dividing line between "good" and "terrible" for me. Also the first time I rolled my eyes at "*Homer gasp* GUEST STAR NAME!".

But season 10 did end with Behind the Laughter, so

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Why the gently caress is this a screenshot of a video and not, you know, the actual video? Like wtf, Al :lmao:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
They look so weird. Like Simpsons fanart.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
Been said before but Disney's insistence on marrying it's brands to the Simpsons via these shorts is so vile. Just complete and utter pop culture fealty.

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

Maybe we’ll at least get The Simpsons in Kingdom Hearts 4 out of it.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Put Homer in Kingdom Hearts but still have him refer to the others as "Moofy and Monald Muck"

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Hakkesshu posted:

Season 10 is the last season I will watch. Like yeah, it's not particularly strong (The Alec Baldwin/Kim Basinger episode is the first time I recall thinking celebrity appearances felt super forced), but the heart of the show is still there, and it's also the last season to feature Phil Hartman. Seems like a natural stopping point to me. They should not have continued after his death.

"Kim Bassinger, the actress who played Holli Would in the hit movie Cool World!?"

"Hi, pencil dick!"

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Season 12 is better than 10 and 11

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Sourdough Sam posted:

Been said before but Disney's insistence on marrying it's brands to the Simpsons via these shorts is so vile. Just complete and utter pop culture fealty.

This is the only acceptable mash up of Simpsons with another brand: https://youtu.be/AszF8aT6wGI

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

This is the only acceptable mash up of Simpsons with another brand: https://youtu.be/AszF8aT6wGI

Ahem :colbert::

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYBFSOXu-_0

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Hahaha oh right those are good too

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
We're just going to forget about the Critic?

This stinks!

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

AHH F/UGH posted:

I dunno if I agree with that last part. Roman did an amazing job in so many cases...

They're not bad, but they never quite hit this level

Even in less-dramatic stuff, I like what they evoke with the pink and greys

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Wow, look at that horrible lack of detail. It's like you gave a kindergartener a piece of paper and some watercolor paints. THIS is how you do real high quality animation:

https://youtu.be/fLFpTLEnrqU

Just look at how much detail you can see in the background. And those shadows, so realistic!

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Some animator drew this scene one handed

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Boy look at Homer suck on that hot dog like it’s a cock. Great TV.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I like how we were like "the Simpsons isn't the kind of show to do naked butt jokes" and then posted the Ullman bath short

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Another Bill posted:

Some animator drew this scene one handed

I'm glad they turfed the lecherous Homer thing after the early seasons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Does modern Simpsons even experiment with different art styles for one-off moments anymore, or is it always that sanitized on-model-at-all-times clean look now? Those screenshots are great.

Just throwing this here, too. I can never not giggle when he says “LOOK AT ME.:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDpb8Sas46Y