Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Goa Tse-tung posted:

mine's Comrade because it was hilarious hearing the announcer say it and it goes with the anime designs...

My nickname is "dog". I thought it was like a cool "dawg" but no, it is literally just "dog". It is hilarious hearing the announcer go "Welcome back dog" like im some kind of lowlife, which I kinda am I guess but still.

GigaPeon posted:

So someone explain to me how Rivals work. Someone on the Discord said they beat one my times, but I don't see it under My Rivals. I did some Rivals races myself and I don't see my winning times under My Rivals either.

For you to receive a notification that someone has beaten your time they need to have set you specifically as the rival a.k.a the ghost that they race against. If they just beat your time you won't get a rival notification.
The way it works is that you go to the track, select rivals, then you select your rival and you can filter top, times close to yours, friends, club members and finally club members + your friends. So you need to pick someone that you specifically want to beat. Hope that makes sense.

TjyvTompa fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Nov 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

TorakFade posted:

huh, apparently having "PENIZON" on the vanity plate doesn't trigger the anti-profanity filter. That is good.

In much worse news, I crash to desktop constantly. First it was before even getting to the main menu, I updated Windows with some non-essential updates and I finally got through the intro/character selection/first car selection, but as soon as it was loading the open world it crashed again.

That sucks.
Run it as admin, I stopped having crashes when I did that. Really loving annoying though because I had to redo the intro like 4 times

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Endbuster posted:

is there a goon discord?

The Marvel one's got a channel: https://discord.gg/RT6DQaXW

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
DF's analysis of the PC version is out:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2021-forza-horizon-5-pc-best-settings-series-x-compared

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

quote:

Additionally, there's no reason why the RT reflections for Forza Vista and the garage couldn't have been extended to gameplay - indeed, one of our amazing DF supporters shared with us a mod for enabling them in-game, and it works. Crowds also update at 30fps on all platforms, and for a title that concentrates so much on fidelity and performance, synchronising them to current frame-rate would be ideal.

Uhh I'mma need to find this mod

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

I did everything in my Festival playlist but there's still a 1 listed on the icon in the menu. Is that a glitch?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I managed to get the drive all roads but 4 are missing.. RIP I'll get to them someday I did a quick scan and fuckit I'm not going to spend hours on it.

edit: nope it just SAID i got it.. I'm still showing 99.5.. Ugh I hate the fact I want this achievement.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Nov 10, 2021

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

This game, like the last (but worse), has way way way way too many lines of dialogue and they're all delivered very poorly an a somewhat offensive, inaccurate accent. There are waaaaay to many pauses in between lines of dialogue (that I'm sure were stitched together) so you'll listen for 5 seconds, think it's finally over, and then you get another 5 seconds of "mi padre" this or "familia" that in a bad accent. It really gets frustrating, especially when you're doing an event for the 3rd time because an AI car drove straight into you again.

And then after a race I just wanna listen to some bangers on Hospital radio and someone will start yelling in my ear about some fake Mexican history, pull me to the event screen, talk my ear off, then auto set the GPS which will begin yelling directions at me.

In addition to the random times where my velocity goes straight to 0 (I assume d/cing from or swapping lobbies), the game just loves to take control away from you ALL THE TIME. Just give me a loving popup or something, I don't need to be forced to mark this event on my loving map.

Just to be clear, I loving love this game and nothing beats a nighttime drive at 200mph with DnB blasting while I do some multi-track drifting.

ten_twentyfour fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 10, 2021

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I started yesterday, managing to finish the opening after like 4 crashes. I still need to run the game as admin, and probably quit discord to have it be stable. Even today I had a random hang of the whole pc while just driving the map, the music stuttered, then the road ahead stopped rendering, and I guess I was too slow on the ctrl alt del cause even that didn't kill it before everything stopped responding.
Maybe today's visual C++ update will help? I'm loving what I've managed to play so far, it's just some small frustrations that dampen it a bit, plus having a small amount of time to actually play.

Will apply to the goon club when I unlock those

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

tl;dr basics:

- a bit of a lazy port with more detailed options missing
- no RT during gameplay unless modded
- no DRS (which is a bummer)
- higher resolutions are more taxing on CPU because of extra LOD which is quite unusual in games (might explain the stutters I get on extreme with my venerable i58600k)
- 4k30 requires a 2080, 4k60 a 3080

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

ten_twentyfour posted:

This game, like the last (but worse), has way way way way too many lines of dialogue and they're all delivered very poorly an a somewhat offensive, inaccurate accent. There are waaaaay to many pauses in between lines of dialogue (that I'm sure were stitched together) so you'll listen for 5 seconds, think it's finally over, and then you get another 5 seconds of "mi padre" this or "familia" that in a bad accent. It
I kinda predicted this would happen but was still upset when I noticed this was yet another game with terrible Hispanic accents and the mid sentence language switching, which does happen, but not in the way seemingly anyone making videogames (or some movies) can figure out.

I think I’d rather them just have American English accents instead of this because yeah it’s eyeroll worthy at the best of times.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Mr. Neutron posted:

4k60 a 3080

I tried this for a while, it works but the card literally heats to the maximum limit temperature and sounds like a turbine

pretty though

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

while going through looking for tjyvtompa's times on the leaderboard in road racing, i was quite impressed to see he had the 6th best time in the world on panoramica sprint in d class. so i set out to beat him.

get absolutely dumpstered, fuckboi :woop:

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
PSA : the forza edition racing truck that you may have gained from wheelspins (I did) isn't actually considered a truck by the game. So don't waste your time doing PR stunts with it for the daily thing, it won't count. You'll need one of the 2 trucks on sale in the autoshow.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I had to check and see if the old Z is still in but I guess now it's a wheelspin car or something? I wanna do a Devil Z build again

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Does weather happen outside of missions? Haven't seen any in the open world yet.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Thom12255 posted:

Does weather happen outside of missions? Haven't seen any in the open world yet.

Yeah, when I did the S2 speed trap for forzathon it was sandstorming, which certainly enhanced that experience.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Got the legendary sundress from a wheelspin :toot:

Thom12255 posted:

Depends on the season, we're in HOT season currently so it's mostly random duststorms in the desert

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I'm guessing we might get some weather once the seasons change. Got a wet season coming, from what I gather. Storm season or something too?

efb

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I'm in Baja. There's more to the map than just this right? I can't scroll away very far so I'm hoping it just gets unlocked later.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

skooma512 posted:

I'm in Baja. There's more to the map than just this right? I can't scroll away very far so I'm hoping it just gets unlocked later.

Baja is a small part of the map yes.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Goa Tse-tung posted:

I tried this for a while, it works but the card literally heats to the maximum limit temperature and sounds like a turbine

pretty though

It's really weird--I'm a 3080/4k60 rear end in a top hat like I was in FH4, but for some reason FH4 made my card constantly spin to ridiculous volume to deal with temperature/demand spikes whereas FH5 just sort of goes into a moderately high baseline and stays there. Dunno what changed.

Also, is anyone having trouble getting Festival stuff to pop? I've completed three Arcade events and like ten different truck PR stunts by this point and they won't actually fill out. I'm 36/38 already so it's not like I have anything to gain from it, it's just weird.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the servers are in a state of half-death yes

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Servers were a bit slow for me yesterday with long wait times between playground events but the hour I played today it wouldn't even connect to Horizon Life.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Can I ask about how placing at the end of races works with the game at large?

Basically:
1. For progression, does the game care about you winning 1st place in races, or just that you complete them?
2. Does anybody have a graph or something that compares payouts for placing at the end of races vs AI difficulty increase? Like, if I'm playing against Unbeatable AI, what place to I have to get to earn the same money as placing 1st against the easiest AI?

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Nov 10, 2021

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Well yes, 4k60@max settings is going to lock the 3080 at nearly full usage throughout the benchmark. Mine is really not that loud however (evga 3080 ultra)

From what I read in the comments on that DF article both FH3 and FH4 continued to be optimized for quite a while after release so I am expecting the same here.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Zeether posted:

I had to check and see if the old Z is still in but I guess now it's a wheelspin car or something? I wanna do a Devil Z build again

it's supposed to only be a reward for owning all the Nissans in the game but there are a poo poo-ton on the auction house for cheap.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
What car and strategy is yielding the most skillpoints right now?

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat

GreatGreen posted:

Can I ask about how placing at the end of races works with the game at large?

Basically:
1. For progression, does the game care about you winning 1st place in races, or just that you complete them?
2. Does anybody have a graph or something that compares payouts for placing at the end of races vs AI difficulty increase? Like, if I'm playing against Unbeatable AI, what place to I have to get to earn the same money as placing 1st against the easiest AI?

1. For progression of the "main game story" you need accolade points which you get for almost everything. There is no requirement or bonus for winning races to advance anything with a small caveat that there's some accolades and seasonal races for winning some races under certain conditions.

2. I don't have a chart but the increase in payout for better placement is negligible. Your real money maker is wheelspins imo which you get when you level up, which you get for xp, which is also only minorly or not at all affected by final placement.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

They have unlockable horns that are Windows 10 notification sound, and the MS Teams ringtone

I don't know if people can hear your horn in MP, but that sounds like a hilarious way to psych people out and make them think the game is gonna crash or that work is calling.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
I spent 20 minutes trying to find a barn over by the Jungle and completely failed.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

skooma512 posted:

They have unlockable horns that are Windows 10 notification sound, and the MS Teams ringtone

I don't know if people can hear your horn in MP, but that sounds like a hilarious way to psych people out and make them think the game is gonna crash or that work is calling.

They can for sure hear you, if someone's mic'd up I usually get a reaction in Horizon Open when I blare e1m1 at the start of every race.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Thom12255 posted:

I spent 20 minutes trying to find a barn over by the Jungle and completely failed.

Try using the drone mode in the start menu to fly up high and get a better vantage point

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Professor Beetus posted:

They can for sure hear you, if someone's mic'd up I usually get a reaction in Horizon Open when I blare e1m1 at the start of every race.

:hellyeah:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I have 1 barn find left (trukk) and no clue how I get the notification for it. I probably have to complete one of the long rear end races I haven't done yet maybe.. It hink it's the dirt one get to the other point in the set time one

Oh no I'm just a moron it's sitting there I must have found the barn but never entered it oddly.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Nov 10, 2021

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
So it seems like they've eased up the requirements for seasonal rewards, right? Assuming future seasons are similar to this one. I almost never got the 80% reward in FH4 cause I didn't do the trial or online adventure and almost never touched the playground. But now it seems like there's just a lot more stuff to get the points you need, so you can just do the things you like doing instead of having to grind.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Love this incredibly dumb unstoppable machine.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 10, 2021

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

The boss fight in the soccer stadium is dumb. That is all.

Oh I also made my driver into an adult Tina Belcher somehow.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Got all roads discovered now. For anyone still looking for the last few spots, check out this fell in the top right corner, just above the round road marker:

For some mad reason, that tiny sliver didn't get unlocked when I drove through that road before, and it's not necessarily the kind of road you go through too often. I found the tip about this one online, when stuck at 577/578. Apparently this tiny bit staying grey the first time is a classic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Applied for GRCC as FunsoBan

1/ how does online racing work if I tend to use manual, and some tougher settings? Do i get matched against others using those settings too?

2/ The radio sucks

3/ Better than FH4

4/ Is there any benefit to getting more than 26 points in the current season thing? I got both cars, but there are a few more points available, but nothing to use them for?