Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I think I may be enjoying the new campaign, because I vaguely remember dreaming about watching some Critical Role stuff last night, the contents of which are either forgotten, stupid or irrelevant but when I woke up this morning I had 2 minutes of active zone minutes showing on my fitness tracker, so my heart rate was bumping above usual and into exercise levels for a few minutes last night during whatever was the climax of said dream. Which was fun, if slightly mystifying to think about.

That aside, have the cast ever given a reason why they follow a strict seating procedure for new campaigns now, where they lay out a seating pattern in episode and follow it religiously throughout the entire campaign? I enjoyed the more informal seating of the first campaign, where everyone would just sit wherever as they arrived from work (or occasionally from awards shows) and you'd get different energy episode to episode because different people were beside each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

tsob posted:

That aside, have the cast ever given a reason why they follow a strict seating procedure for new campaigns now, where they lay out a seating pattern in episode and follow it religiously throughout the entire campaign? I enjoyed the more informal seating of the first campaign, where everyone would just sit wherever as they arrived from work (or occasionally from awards shows) and you'd get different energy episode to episode because different people were beside each other.
I don't think that was ever true? As far as I can tell (from skimming through various episodes) the only seating change they ever did in campaign one was Sam moving to the left side of the table in episode 43. You might be remembering how in the early days, it was pretty common for one or more people to be absent so various odd pairings would arise from that.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Volte posted:

I don't think that was ever true? As far as I can tell (from skimming through various episodes) the only seating change they ever did in campaign one was Sam moving to the left side of the table in episode 43. You might be remembering how in the early days, it was pretty common for one or more people to be absent so various odd pairings would arise from that.

That could be it, yeah. I haven't seen the early episodes in about 2 years now, so it probably just got mixed up in my mind. I do wish they used more informal seating night to night regardless now though.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Keep in mind that campaign 1 was originally a pathfinder 1e game on the pre-streaming days. Pike was a cleric of Sarenrae, which was a pathfinder Dieity. I'm pretty sure they have the specific blessing of Hasburo for the D&D specific stuff, the rights to the names on Paizo's stuff is probably a bit uglier.

Hellbore
Jan 25, 2012
Sarenrae already got an official rename to Raei in their Wildemount book, but since that makes it a Wizards thing now, she'll just be "the Everlight" on stream and in their own products.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Raei isn't necessarily a Wizards-owned thing, they don't automatically own everything that gets mentioned in a book they publish (or else they would own all of Wildemount). But it seems like Matt is shying away from using names for the gods at all, so I don't know if it would come up on stream anyway.

Volte fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Nov 9, 2021

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Bert and Fearnie :allears:

Quixote
Feb 22, 2005

Lotus Aura posted:

Bert and Fearnie :allears:

https://twitter.com/Shardanic_Art/status/1456736413106335744

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I keep track as best I can of player HP in fights. I don't always get it right, especially if characters take a short rest, since I don't know how much they get back, but those final two hits to Bertrand would indeed have taken him to exactly zero with all the damage he'd taken before.

When Liam had Orym kick in the door to the room, I thought something was a little off about Matt's reaction. He said a very soft "Okay...", and had a very "Oh boy, they're doing this..." expression on his face as if he wasn't expecting this or didn't want it. I think it's because he knew that the "dwarf" was really dangerous, made to be the hero-killer. He didn't need to rig a nat 20 roll, this guy was built to beat Bertram from the start.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Critical Role bad. Also racist.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Flesnolk posted:

Critical Role bad. Also racist.

Would you care to elaborate?

Or just gonna drive by shitpost?

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
gabagool

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I keep track as best I can of player HP in fights. I don't always get it right, especially if characters take a short rest, since I don't know how much they get back, but those final two hits to Bertrand would indeed have taken him to exactly zero with all the damage he'd taken before.

When Liam had Orym kick in the door to the room, I thought something was a little off about Matt's reaction. He said a very soft "Okay...", and had a very "Oh boy, they're doing this..." expression on his face as if he wasn't expecting this or didn't want it. I think it's because he knew that the "dwarf" was really dangerous, made to be the hero-killer. He didn't need to rig a nat 20 roll, this guy was built to beat Bertram from the start.

There is also the slim possibility that they might get lucky and actually kill the dwarf and he'd have to improv a new way to get rid of Bert at the end.

E: Also random thing I liked from the last ep, this little moment between Liam and Marisha

Dragonstoned fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Nov 9, 2021

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Dragonstoned posted:

There is also the slim possibility that they might get lucky and actually kill the dwarf and he'd have to improv a new way to get rid of Bert at the end.

That's easy enough. I don't think the dwarf is the beginning and end of the smuggling operation, just have the Dwarf's higher up come in and do the same thing, with a reference to "you killed my partner" or something.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I kind of want Matt to take a leaf out of Brennan Lee Mulligan's book and make this dwarf his version of Hamhead. A character Matt's Leiland spent a major chunk of time every time Hamhead was on a map in Dimension 20: Escape from the Bloodkeep trying to kill for revenge, only for Brennan to reveal afterwards that Hamhead was mostly included as a joke and had the stats of a storm giant. So even playing a level 14 character it was no wonder Matt/Leiland just ended up frustrated and embarrassed every time he tried to fight Hamhead. This dwarf is just way beyond the cast, but mostly indifferent to their poo poo and just trying to go about his business while they're obsessed with getting him.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
It always felt as if Bertrand was a temporary character but gently caress me if I'm not sad to hell and back that he's dead.

His last scene with Dorian was really sweet though.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
So any guesses or hopes for what the team name will be? I think "The Silent Bell" would be a good one.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I saw someone on twitter livetweeting them watching the VOD and going "oh... oh, boy, I'm not digging how much they're telegraphing bad stuff happening to Bertrand here"

(twenty minutes later)

"noooooo ;-;"

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

So any guesses or hopes for what the team name will be? I think "The Silent Bell" would be a good one.

Oh, I really like that, hadn't heard that one yet (just the usual assortment of dirty jokes).

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

The Mighty Tein, obviously.

Quixote
Feb 22, 2005

I keep track as best I can of player HP in fights.

This was about the only good thing about Alpha when Geek and Sundry tried that mess; the streams there had HP overlays for all the fights and updated in real time.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Quixote posted:

This was about the only good thing about Alpha when Geek and Sundry tried that mess; the streams there had HP overlays for all the fights and updated in real time.

Yeah I liked the character portraits and how they'd get more hosed up as they took more damage.

I think they stopped doing it because they also struggled to keep track of exactly what everyone hit points were in real time but that wouldn't be as much as a problem now its being pre-taped.

Also my Meatman t-shirt arrived today :yeshaha:

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Quixote posted:

Pre-pandemic they were using D&D Beyond's plugin on Twitch, which updated the HP totals in real time. They stopped because the plugin doesn't work with pre-recorded videos, and I guess they didn't feel it was worth the effort (or screen space) having someone do it manually.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

"The No Travises Club"

it's no Travises, they're allowed one

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Fresh Cut Grass and The Blades

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
oh they're prerecording now? sorry if this was mentioned already i may have missed it. any particular reason?

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Adus posted:

oh they're prerecording now? sorry if this was mentioned already i may have missed it. any particular reason?

They started doing it during the more stringent rules for media due to pandemic and stuck with it since. I suspect it makes things way easier on everyone's schedule.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
G4 announced a D&D show and since they are airing on TV I guess technically they’re correct that this’ll be the first D&D campaign on television?

Though I feel Critical Role probably gets as many viewers as a moderate cable channel anyway.

https://twitter.com/G4TV/status/1458434291193421840

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

That's the third D&D show Ify is in this month lol.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

B.Dave gets around a lot too.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
:siren:Breaking:siren:: It's Thursday!

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
It's the off week this week right?

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Flakey posted:

Thankfully no. It's going to be the last week of every month from here on out that they have their break.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Flakey posted:

I don't think that is starting until next year. Then it will be the last Thursday each month.

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013
They'll probably be off for Thanksgiving and Christmas, cause they usually do, so it's already kinda in effect.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
Oh cool I was under the impression that they were doing a 3 on 1 off thing from the start.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Flakey posted:

Oh cool I was under the impression that they were doing a 3 on 1 off thing from the start.

They said it will be the last Thursday of every month except the first month.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

How does FCG go up stairs?

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Very carefully

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

Rhonne posted: