Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

call of the night is cute, and good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

how did you lose a Karen namtab

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Someone destroyed a horcrux

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there have always been vampires

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

DoubleDonut posted:

don’t crap your pants if you see a vampire

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Aurora posted:

how did you lose a Karen namtab

The coward Julias managed to trick me into lowering my guard, he then applied a limiter to stop me achieving my full power.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I also think one of the admins slowed me down again too.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Karen’s power grows with every passing day

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Finished the Higurashi VNs recently. There's some clumsy writing in places but it's a wonderful, heartful work and I'm boggled that a large amount of what people have to say about it is instantly ignoring all of that for either the spooky gore or shouting UMINEKO UMINEKO UMINEKO

Then I found out what the remake is about. :ok:

The point of this post is, Ryukishi07 was a more powerful writer in 2005 than in 2020

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Power is fleeting

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Every VN writer gets one weird pseudo-adaptation that they personally guide off the rails in an awkward way due to them not usually working with anime

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

when are we gonna get a bunch of werewolf anime. cmon

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Patware posted:

call of the night is cute, and good
:yeah:

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Mix. posted:

When Netflix adapts bloodborne

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you think about it, if there was one vampire everyone would become a vampire

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Mix. posted:

never

so i hope you enjoyed sirius

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Mix. posted:

Gotta keep this furry anime trend goin another year or two

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
The Bigfoot anime

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

the monkey's paw curls and we get a twilight anime in the vein of castlevania

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Acerbatus posted:

If you think about it, if there was one vampire everyone would become a vampire
the latest two magic the gathering sets are literally werewolves vs vampires

one of the main vampires is like "you idiots if everyone gets turned into a vampire who will we feed on?" which I think is great

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

one of the main vampires is like "you idiots if everyone gets turned into a vampire who will we feed on?" which I think is great

This has already been solved: sardines!

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

imagine being lame vampires who can't feed on each other

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

jealous?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Tonfa posted:

Finished the Higurashi VNs recently. There's some clumsy writing in places but it's a wonderful, heartful work and I'm boggled that a large amount of what people have to say about it is instantly ignoring all of that for either the spooky gore or shouting UMINEKO UMINEKO UMINEKO

Then I found out what the remake is about. :ok:

The point of this post is, Ryukishi07 was a more powerful writer in 2005 than in 2020

people focus on the spooky gore because the anime adaptation is largely the more popular version of higurashi and, well. in contrast umineko's anime was a total flop so you get a way more vocal fanbase for the vn and manga, and people are way more interested in engaging with the meaningful parts of the text in those than the most vocal chunk of the western higurashi anime-only fanbase who view kai as a downgrade for not really being a bloody horror story anymore

as for ryukishi's non-higurashi stuff, i don't think he's actually gotten a ton worse it's just that higurashi has a wide glut of extended material and like. ryukishi when he's just, writing poo poo, is inconsistent to say the least. mainline wtc vns are his best stuff because he generally does a good job constructing a world and cast and what he wants to do thematically from the start. if you look at something like the prototype for higurashi, it's sorta cute but also completely incoherent, and for a smaller thing there's higanbana, which is a mix of genuinely fun and interesting stories and like. some absolutely bizarre messes where it's hard to understand what actual point he's trying to make. but like for what little of ciconia is out it's significantly better than stuff like sotsugyou so while i'm not really inherently high on him as a writer anymore i don't think he's lost it, you just have to view him to a similar spot as like, kotaro uchikoshi, in terms of quality and consistency. not everything he writes is a banger and in fact some of it is kind of unreadable but he's usually worth keeping some kind of eye out for if he hits

Motto posted:

Every VN writer gets one weird pseudo-adaptation that they personally guide off the rails in an awkward way due to them not usually working with anime

dont worry, absolutely none of the staff on any higurashi anime beyond the old adaptation of chapters 7 and 8 have ever understood what they were doing with it either and passione actively made decisions to make sotsugyou more like the first season of the 2000s anime which i doubt alleviated any of the issues with its script. there are some pretty noticeable differences between the anime and manga in terms of how some stuff is presented, even within the very first arc, and while i'm not sure it makes sotsugyou good it at least explains why the anime can feel so. bizarrely detached. the manga straight up gives characters more emotion a lot of the time and does actually kind of address the question of why shion never commented on rika's choice of academy being the one she had to escape from like it was an actual prison

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 10, 2021

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZT94_yTOls

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

im happy for you. my oshi said my name this week too

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

this cult anime is wild. all these angels with business suits. I will be disappointed if it's not revealed that Tesla is the one in hell given the presence of Edison in Heaven.

TV Zombie fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Nov 10, 2021

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

TV Zombie posted:

all these angels with business suits

Nothing wrong with that

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

lol

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Namtab posted:

The coward Julias managed to trick me into lowering my guard, he then applied a limiter to stop me achieving my full Karen power.
So what you're saying is you spoke to the manager

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Talking to julias is a mistake

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

yeah this is probably more fair, i'm still just stunned that the rich ensemble cast of higurashi was turned into only two characters existing in a capacity that isn't just a receptacle for capricious suffering

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tonfa posted:

yeah this is probably more fair, i'm still just stunned that the rich ensemble cast of higurashi was turned into only two characters existing in a capacity that isn't just a receptacle for capricious suffering
i mean that isnt really a fair summary of sotsu even with its many many issues. its focused on rika and satokos relationship so theyre the only characters who get any real focus or catharsis. thats like, fair. its not like sotsu existing destroys the development and catharsis the other characters got in the original game. its not a remake, despite their weird false advertising shtick.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
Nipah

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the satoko x rika focus of sotsugyou is the good part. the bad part is that sotsugyou's story structure is miserable to experience and some of its narrative decisions are kind of questionable, even moreso in the anime where they remove much of the context that's present in the manga's version of the same script and punch up the misery to the point that they turn satoko's bedroom into a literal prison cell

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Endorph posted:

i mean that isnt really a fair summary of sotsu even with its many many issues. its focused on rika and satokos relationship so theyre the only characters who get any real focus or catharsis. thats like, fair. its not like sotsu existing destroys the development and catharsis the other characters got in the original game. its not a remake, despite their weird false advertising shtick.

It's annoying because it's a sequel. If it adhered to the themes of the work it's based on at all it would not needlessly victimize its entire cast to deliver a character vignette. Someone going sicko mode in SotsuGou has nothing to do, with that character.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Tonfa posted:

It's annoying because it's a sequel. If it adhered to the themes of the work it's based on at all it would not needlessly victimize its entire cast to deliver a character vignette. Someone going sicko mode in SotsuGou has nothing to do, with that character.

see i agree a lot of parts of it are just unnecessary and lame but i also can't give sotsugyou too much poo poo for it because that's what a lot of extended higurashi material was already doing. i give it more license to exist than most of the console arcs, even if i also do not really like it either

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tonfa posted:

i mean i agree a lot of it is pointless in sotsu but some amount of the violence is justified because its meant to be a metaphor for how two people who love each other can hurt each other and the people around them. and most of the worst bits of it seem to be largely the anime staff, not the original scirpt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
sotsugyou needs to be like half as long and not have any of the bits that are just retreading the original because that's what really takes it down from like. messy side story to disappointing and almost unwatchable. like i shouldn't be dropping something because five episodes in it's just repeating things i've already read and watched but done more boring. and the whole idea they tried to set up that it works as a first foray into watching the series was such a ridiculous thing to state for something so integrally tied into events and themes set up in the original lol