Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Looking at the proton db link, it apparently works fine in proton. However, you do have to do some config tweaks. First one is to the launcher to make it use the old launcher. And then the second is to alter the opening cutscene to not play. That is all the info people are submitting. I'm curious if it is just the opening cutscene that breaks or if any other cutscene in game will also break (memory is hazy on any or if they are all engine renders instead of fmv).

https://www.protondb.com/app/39210

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dramicus posted:

Often online games have other problems relating to anti-cheat. There's also https://lutris.net/ which is another way to get games running on Linux in a mostly user-friendly way. You could check to see if FFXIV works through Lutris.

OK awesome thanks!

JuffoWup posted:

Looking at the proton db link, it apparently works fine in proton. However, you do have to do some config tweaks. First one is to the launcher to make it use the old launcher. And then the second is to alter the opening cutscene to not play. That is all the info people are submitting. I'm curious if it is just the opening cutscene that breaks or if any other cutscene in game will also break (memory is hazy on any or if they are all engine renders instead of fmv).

https://www.protondb.com/app/39210

Thanks!

As I've mentioned before I currently use a Windows device and if it can be avoided I'd much rather stick with whatever steam has going. Windows is far from ideal and a little frustrating sometimes.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXExVOheCw4

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

quote:

The launch of Steam Deck will be delayed by two months. We're sorry about this—we did our best to work around the global supply chain issues, but due to material shortages, components aren’t reaching our manufacturing facilities in time for us to meet our initial launch dates.
Based on our updated build estimates, Steam Deck will start shipping February 2022. This will be the new start date of the reservation queue—you will keep your place in line but dates will shift back accordingly. Reservation date estimates will be updated shortly after this announcement.
Again, we're sorry we won’t be able to make our original ship date. We'll continue working to improve reservation dates based on the new timeline, and will keep you updated as we go.

rip

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

just got that email too. :rip:

https://twitter.com/OnDeck/status/1458515799371509762

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I am shocked!!!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah a lot of stuff is getting delayed. Like the Switch had to drop production a well

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

maybe I should just get an aya neo lol

it's not like these shortages are going away

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Aw well, that sucks but whatever.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The 7th Guest posted:

maybe I should just get an aya neo lol

I love my Neo a lot but I’d wait for the deck unless you feel like you could sell it for not much of a loss or something.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Two months is actually impressive, all things considered!

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

More like Steam Dreck!!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

I love my Neo a lot but I’d wait for the deck unless you feel like you could sell it for not much of a loss or something.
my concern is that this is going to be the first of several delays/shortages :X

my spot in the queue moved to Q2 2022 which could be as late as june. bleh

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
drat rip

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The 7th Guest posted:

my spot in the queue moved to Q2 2022 which could be as late as june. bleh

Fwiw I don’t think the Neo is even caught up with orders so it could be a month + for that.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Incredibly hosed up that I may not have this by Elden Ring’s launch.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
No Deck? Aw heck.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

Fwiw I don’t think the Neo is even caught up with orders so it could be a month + for that.
Bwaaaahhh

I guess I'm stuck with Steam Linking to my phone for a while. the big problem there is the kishi's L2 trigger has fallen off and broken for good, and the wifi interference living in a major metropolitan city is loving wretched

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Apple is also still having issues. I ordered a new phone 2 weeks ago and they gave me a 5 week lead time for it. That’s like nearly 2 months after launch too.

Good luck with Christmas everyone lol

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

The 7th Guest posted:

I hope not but it's very realistic. So many things are sparse or unavailable since a while now with no end in sight.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

The 7th Guest posted:

It could be, but it's not like the Polymega or Amico, the Deck clearly exists as a product and a good number of people already have one. The two month delay isn't bad given that, right now, there's a six month lead time on parts procurement across pretty much the entire industry.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I'm in Q2 now, oof. This global shortage is the loving worst.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

sigher posted:

I'm in Q2 now, oof. This global shortage is the loving worst.

:same: :(

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Q2 2022 :negative:

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Same, pushed back to Q2.

Answers my question of whether to wait on the Deck to play BG1 again. I have it on PC and picked it up on iPad - surprisingly good! - but a mouse-based mobile console would have been perfect!

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Makes me feel better about pickin' up the finally-just-released Isaac expansion on the Switch. I was kinda lookin' for an excuse to start over on that game but what I'm not lookin' for is an excuse not to play it for a(nother) half a year.

Vic posted:

No Deck? Aw heck.

This makes me giggle disproportionately.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I always thought December 2021 was pretty ambitious, so I kinda expected it to get delayed. All that matters is whenever it ships, I'm at the front of the line!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
lol

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
nothing to laugh about. I promised both my kids Steam Decks from Santa and there’s going to be some very sad kids on Christmas morn’.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Well that's why you don't promise your children an unreleased tech product for Christmas, silly goon!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
They’re in tears right now, knowing they’ll have to play games at sub-720p on their switch lites for another year

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Moved from December to Q1 2022, I'll county my blessings!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I went from Q2 to "Past Q2".

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I got this email and went "heh, yeah"

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

drat, back to Q2 for me. Oh well least I have a switch

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Vic posted:

No Deck? Aw heck.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Big steam deck dev conference going on right now. I haven't watched any of it but seems to go pretty in-depth. https://steamcommunity.com/steamworksvirtualconference/steamdeck?tab=live

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Information from a developer presentation Valve gave recently: https://videocardz.com/newz/valve-details-steam-deck-hardware-the-amd-zen2-rdna2-soc-is-codenamed-aerith

Relevant to a topic that has come up several times:

Valve is claiming that loading games off of an SD card will take only 18% longer than off the NVMe. Again, raw read/write throughput is one of the less important specs when it comes to game load performance. Random read/write performance as well as CPU performance are much more important, and SD cards have better random read/write performance than HDDs. I doubt Valve is trying to mislead anyone with these slides, so they probably accurately reflect the testing they've done internally, though independent analysis once the thing is out will be necessary to explore all the ins and outs of the steam deck's storage systems.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Not that Linus is the most valid of sources, but that lines up with his comment from the press day. He said that apparently some of the games were on a sd card and didn't even notice which ones were on sd versus the internal storage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
I wonder if those are just really slow SSDs or if the AMD APU chipset they are using just can't take advantage of fast NVME SSD speeds, because in terms of raw numbers eMMC storage or micro sd cards should be much, much slower