Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
In ds1 if someone kindled a bonfire you'd get an estus and if you got 100 points from kills you'd get a humanity. But it was something like 1 point for a humanoid enemy, more for black knight type guys and the area boss had to be alive so you'd really only see at best 1 an area.

Ds3 you get an estus if someone rates your message iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

It's interesting that the new maiden has one more eye than Fromsoft maidens usually do and it's an indication that she has her own agenda this time

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I forget if it was DS1 or DS3 - I think 3 - but you also got Estus for killing a red invader.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

So the moonlight great sword will only be available to those people who got lucky enough to get in the network test?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the quality-of-life improvements in regards to weapon skills/arts, NPC summons, locomotion and fast travel around the world while still keeping loads of hidden dungeons and secrets to explore, all look like the Souls game I always wanted to play but didn't want to slog through the more tedious repetitions and boring combat. Looks like a lot was taken from Sekiro and Nioh, which owns a lot---love what they did for combat systems in those games so it's great that those larger vocabularies of fighting are being carried over.

Watched the Dan Ryckert video and laughed that when he finally beat the boss it was through classic DS1 type strafing circles around a boss struggling to track him. Probably won't be how all the bosses are---that Godric fucker looks sick. Just find it funny that the old school "stick to a big guy like glue and clip through while slashing like a moron" tactics still work even in these newer fights.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

GodFish posted:

You get healed if somebody rates your message in DS3. Sometimes you'd get a free Estus if you've killed enough PVE enemies in a row, but as far as I know nobody knows the actual formula for it.

Killing a phantom gets you one Estus charge, killing a Blueboi as an invader gets you two charges. They're sunnyd pinatas basically.

go for a stroll
Sep 10, 2003

you'll never make it out alive

Pillbug
I'm ready to admit this looks sick as hell. All the fromsoft magic plus the open world enthusiasts can try running up every slope at a 45 degree angle or whatever.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I think everything will be alright.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I think the block/parry mechanic, jumping, and fast flowing nature of this combat is going to make me miss sekiro a lot. This is definitely DS4 though, and I’m so excited that they’ve fully embraced magic.

If one thing is crazy clear, From Soft has silenced the critics saying their game needs an “easy difficulty” mode. The game can be made easier (go full ranged magic, use summons and +/- coop) or harder (commit to full melee build) as the player sees fit. Be who you want to be. All ways of being are playing the game the right way. That’s significantly more nuanced and intelligent than an easy difficulty button in a settings menu.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I'm excited about everything I've seen so far.

But there is so much to this game that I fear I will not take full advantage of it all. What a problem to have.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Oh my god. If you want to see an epic boss fight, go watch the last three minutes of Vaatividya’s video. Starting at 28:00. How the hell does From animate bosses and players like that.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Hope you can shut off the compass or if you can't it's higher on the screen.

Blind Rasputin posted:

Oh my god. If you want to see an epic boss fight, go watch the last three minutes of Vaatividya’s video. Starting at 28:00. How the hell does From animate bosses and players like that.

That guy was in the gameplay trailer and preview and was impressive from what little was shown there.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Blind Rasputin posted:

The change to flasks is..simply awesome. I watched Skillup’s video and totally agree with him. Usually the flaks mechanic makes leaving a bonfire feel like an expedition of attrition: go as far as you can before running out of flasks, then go back or maybe get to the next bonfire.

Elden Ring? Killing packs of enemies or a difficult enemy grants flask refills. Literally a keep going, keep fighting, keep exploring mechanic. He says it dramatically increases uptime and in this open world type game, it’s truly made perfect.

loving awesome.
This was exactly the thing that made The Surge 2 my favourite Soulslike of all time

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Blind Rasputin posted:

So the moonlight great sword will only be available to those people who got lucky enough to get in the network test?

Huh?

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Playing Sekiro I kept thinking"This is so anime." Awesome Anime from the 80s!

There's just a flow to everything, and in the right frames it feels and looks awesome

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Blind Rasputin posted:

The change to flasks is..simply awesome. I watched Skillup’s video and totally agree with him. Usually the flaks mechanic makes leaving a bonfire feel like an expedition of attrition: go as far as you can before running out of flasks, then go back or maybe get to the next bonfire.

Elden Ring? Killing packs of enemies or a difficult enemy grants flask refills. Literally a keep going, keep fighting, keep exploring mechanic. He says it dramatically increases uptime and in this open world type game, it’s truly made perfect.

loving awesome.

That was also supposed to be the point of blood vials being drops, but they forgot to put in the part where you refill to your cap for free at checkpoints.

Dabir fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Nov 10, 2021

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
I would really like to play this game

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Fextralife’s 10:00 video is very good. Mostly spoiler safe, and if you want totally spoiler free they’ve made it so you can pause the beginning list and just read that.

I love, love what he said. There is a lot of stuff copied from Bloodborne, demon souls, all the dark souls, and sekiro. Sometimes whole bosses basically. But it’s not out of laziness or cheapness. It’s not DS4 with copied and reskinned assets. He says instead, this is clearly supposed to be the culmination of From Soft’s life’s work. This is all of everything they’ve ever thought of all together in one place and it’s simply beautiful.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

All the Souls chat is in here now, so

You really gotta see this
https://www.redbubble.com/i/t-shirt/Soulsfest-by-WalnutSoap/32084586.BLLJT

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

GodFish posted:

In ds1 if someone kindled a bonfire you'd get an estus and if you got 100 points from kills you'd get a humanity. But it was something like 1 point for a humanoid enemy, more for black knight type guys and the area boss had to be alive so you'd really only see at best 1 an area.

Demon’s Souls you get a full heal up from a rated message

DS1 you get… NOTHING but the little icon on the message changes with more ratings

DS2 you get about a life gem’s worth of healing

Bloodborne you get a full heal

DS3 you get a full heal

Sekrio you get a partial heal

Joan posted:

It's interesting that the new maiden has one more eye than Fromsoft maidens usually do and it's an indication that she has her own agenda this time

Excuse you, the Doll was fulla eyes

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Ohhhh my gooood

They turned poise back on.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Blind Rasputin posted:

, this is clearly supposed to be the culmination of From Soft’s life’s work. This is all of everything they’ve ever thought of all together in one place and it’s simply beautiful.

:trumppop:Wrong! That's this beauty of a Magnum Opus.

https://youtu.be/G_395DCBLF0

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
Glad this is getting an extra month of polish. The Vaatividya video shows plenty of grass texture and foliage pop-in on PS5 and the boss fight in the cave at the start of the video seems to drop to sub-30 fps even though there isn’t much going on on-screen.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Mulva posted:

It's Luck.

e: Other big stat thing would probably be that Strength is what determines carry weight.

That said weapons and spells do list Arcane as a possible scaling stat

I'm more interested in the defensive stat that's just called "Death". Resistance to instant death effects maybe?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I cannot wait for the test to start. Seems like it's at a not awful time here too.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

RatHat posted:

That said weapons and spells do list Arcane as a possible scaling stat

I'm more interested in the defensive stat that's just called "Death". Resistance to instant death effects maybe?

I’d say it’s like DS1 curse or Sekiro’s terror.

Huge temptation to watch every bit of footage available. Even now I feel like I know too much even if it’s just information confirming what I assumed.

Happy that they gave my boy Prod a preview code tho.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Just watch it. I don't regret a thing. Elden Ring only releases once and ya gotta stay on the hype train.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I’ve been watching it and loving every second of it

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

huh posted:

Just watch it. I don't regret a thing. Elden Ring only releases once and ya gotta stay on the hype train.

🚂the game is gonna be pinmp🚂

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Yeah, nearly every video even those 30 minutes long just barely scratch the surface. They stick to nearly all the bosses seen in trailers, and make a point that the world is so full of hidden dungeons and spoopy castles and places that there’s just no way whatsoever to be spoiled right now. Same with spells and weapons, I’ve seen maybe 10? There’s tons more, especially with the way weapon arts can be custom added to weapons.

Just watch! It’s really the most kickass video game YouTube there is right now.

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008
Going to pick arcane warrior for my first build and accidentally gimp his stats like all the other games.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
I'm so loving hyped for shield counters guys. After BB and Sekiro I'd been worried about their greater and great de-emphasis on defense but between sweet as gently caress shield skills and poise returning I can finally be a big sexy tanky gently caress again. Well, as tanky as you can get in Souls.

And Miracles are back to not being poo poo! They haven't been worth casting since pre-patch DSII!

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Mircales were decent in DS3. Esp with the dlc miracles

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Miracles in this are a mix of Miracles and Pyromancy, and also have a bunch of weird and cool beast/dragon poo poo. Like there's a big claw attack, and a dragon head that blasts out flames, and a dragon head that screams really loud. They are cool as heck at the very least, which is a bonus. The fact they can also just blow fools up is a bonus.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
faith-based spells are 'incantations' now and include both the equivalent of dark souls miracles & pyromancies (which are entirely faith-based here as incantations, instead of scaling with both faith & int as in dark souls)

a lot of these preview videos said magic is good all-around without being OP, but incantations seemed generally stronger than sorceries

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

gently caress yeah the mounted combat looks sweet. Can't wait to joust some bitches off their horses, I hope there are mounted emotes

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Blind Rasputin posted:

All ways of being are playing the game the right way.

I don't think you realize the backlash from the ~souls community~ this statement could cause.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Good GOD the map screen looks beautiful

I am so upset I didn't get an invite email :(

nopants
May 29, 2004
are there any youtube videos that show the faith based spells?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I am wondering about the resistances.

Immunity seems to very likely mean poison resistance, and is raised by Vigor. Seems straightforward, but I might be wrong.

Focus is raised by Mind, and while my initial thought is Focus-resistance might be magic based, it's listed separately from Magic Resistance, which is raised by Intelligence. So maybe Focus increases your resistance to anything related to the focus bar, like Weapon Arts?

Robustness is also one I'm not sure about. Does it affect poise? It's raised with Endurance just like Physical Defense.

Death is probably what it sounds like, resistance to curse or its equivalent. It's raised by Arcane, which seems to be the new Luck. Blue Blood Sword build when?