Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The UK does pretty well by perceptions of public sector corruption standards

How much of that is the perceptions bit and how much is reality is a different matter, as is how much of that is due to the UK being an 'advanced economy' which means corruption is really rich people owning what used to be the public sector as opposed to average people having to bribe the gas board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Yeah those metrics are such transparent arsewash. Sure, in Afghanistan you have to bribe the local Taliban big man so that you don't get night letters thrown through your window, but that's really small potatoes from an economic perspective in contradistinction to the systematic fleecing of the public that happens under mega-capitalism

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I find it very hard to believe there is a significant portion of people in the UK who think that the government would ever do anything to help them and not just line their own pockets, but I find it much easier to imagine that there is a significant portion of people who see this as the only thing any government ever could do and so it isn't corruption, it's just government.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
It's easier to imagine the end of Britane than the end of grubby men in hotel lobby bars exchanging briefcases of cash for political favours

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's not corruption when it's presented as choice. I think the difference is colourful comparison websites.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
gently caress the BBC https://twitter.com/rachelmsavage/status/1458426209952468995?t=wVe8Bj7Z4O-0sjwQ9gqdeg&s=09

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Guavanaut posted:

How much of that is the perceptions bit and how much is reality is a different matter, as is how much of that is due to the UK being an 'advanced economy' which means corruption is really rich people owning what used to be the public sector as opposed to average people having to bribe the gas board.

Good to see Germany in the top 10 there, a country so not corrupt that Siemens famously reported their bribes to foreign countries as deductible business expenses until the law changed in 1999. Fortunately there have been no further examples of corruption in the country since. If any of our friends from the Scandinavian politics thread are reading they can probably enlighten us on one or two recent incidents of political corruption coming out of 3rd-ranked Sweden as well.

e: Maybe those rankings are right and these really are among the least corrupt countries in the world of course, which is pretty depressing.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

kecske posted:

had an email from Octopus today saying that my 12 month fixed rate is ending and since the energy market is so volatile the monthly rate for next year is more than double what it is now, then ended by saying if I shopped around I could find a cheaper deal elsewhere lol

at least if it gets too cold I can chuck a match on the outside cladding for a bit of warmth

Any idea what you're going to do? According to Martin Lewis all of the fixed rates, even from Octopus, are likely to be higher than the price cap, so it's better to just fall into the variable rate. Though someone here said that the price cap isn't applicable to renewable energy.

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE

Guavanaut posted:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

big scary monsters posted:

e: Maybe those rankings are right and these really are among the least corrupt countries in the world of course, which is pretty depressing.
I think there's three factors, the first is that one, it is comparative, so the USA, where multiple metropolitan police forces just decided they wouldn't be responding to crimes in districts that didn't vote for them getting a budget increase, and the rural ones just use asset forfeiture laws to steal people's poo poo, still manages to scrape the top 25.

The second is it's perceptions of, so having to pay a £20 bribe to cross a border is seen as grubby and corrupt, but someone handing a £20m contract for passports to their wife's brother's company isn't, the 'advanced economies' can afford to keep that sort of thing at a distance for most of the people who write letters to the paper and therefore count.

The third is that, like everyone else, transparency international has a whole bunch of their own biases.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Guavanaut posted:

I'm glad they waited until the yellow was blinding before they switched from white to black font

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wonder sometimes if I am going to end up a tax nutter as I age because the only thing the government spends money on is the stupidest loving poo poo.

Tax the rich just because it makes them unhappy, throw it into a hole because the government just gives it to rich people otherwise.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Tax the rich just because it makes them unhappy, throw it into a hole because the government just gives it to rich people otherwise.

This is like halfway to MMT

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Guavanaut posted:

I think there's three factors, the first is that one, it is comparative, so the USA, where multiple metropolitan police forces just decided they wouldn't be responding to crimes in districts that didn't vote for them getting a budget increase, and the rural ones just use asset forfeiture laws to steal people's poo poo, still manages to scrape the top 25.

The second is it's perceptions of, so having to pay a £20 bribe to cross a border is seen as grubby and corrupt, but someone handing a £20m contract for passports to their wife's brother's company isn't, the 'advanced economies' can afford to keep that sort of thing at a distance for most of the people who write letters to the paper and therefore count.

The third is that, like everyone else, transparency international has a whole bunch of their own biases.

Yeah I'm sure that's all true. It's also fun to see tax havens like the Bahamas, Seychelles, Ireland, Netherlands and the UK up at the top of the chart. I guess if you merely (and legally) facilitate corruption elsewhere it's fine.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Kin posted:

Any idea what you're going to do? According to Martin Lewis all of the fixed rates, even from Octopus, are likely to be higher than the price cap, so it's better to just fall into the variable rate. Though someone here said that the price cap isn't applicable to renewable energy.

it looks likely that the price cap is going up by another £300 in a matter of months so I guess I'll fix again when it expires since you wouldnt want to be on a variable rate in whatever that energy market looks like. I'm wary of trying to find the lowest deal since all the small providers are circling the drain at this point.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

big scary monsters posted:

Yeah I'm sure that's all true. It's also fun to see tax havens like the Bahamas, Seychelles, Ireland, Netherlands and the UK up at the top of the chart. I guess if you merely (and legally) facilitate corruption elsewhere it's fine.
I guess a fourth might be if you're talking absolute or relative quantities of corrupt dealings. Like in absolute pounds or dollars or cheeseburgers the London Zone 1&2 property market alone has more corruption money swirling around it than a big chunk of Africa, but in relative terms that's a few percent of the economy and most people won't personally be in someone's pocket extralegally because of a planning application, whereas there are places where the corrupt parts of the economy show up openly in more places than the supposedly legit parts, and don't even have the decency to disguise themselves as "the gas bill's gone up again, oh well".

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

The amount of dirty money that flowing through London alone must boost the U.K. up the corruption ladder.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like when it's all buried in fifty zillion layers of abstraction that should count as more corrupt than just a guy with an AK saying "give me money or I will shoot you"

Like that is at least honest?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I read somewhere yesterday that the wholesale gas prices have halved since last month from $300 per something (can't remember what!) to about $160 per something, so no telling what the energy companies might do.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Tarnop posted:

I'm subscribed to Novara on YouTube, but all their video titles are basically "ANOTHER thing to get MAD about" and I just end up rolling my eyes and scrolling past. My anxiety levels are much more under control since I started doing this in general.
I'm trying to clean up my twitter because I might have to actually start using it for freelancing / work, but also there are a bunch of funny / interesting accounts I don't want to stop following, and I still have that brain disorder where I see tweets and think 'this is important, my 50ish followers need to know about this' so I basically need to clear out my retweets.

Having been reflecting on this for a while, half the problem is that so much of this is public facing. Like on my podcast subscriptions, nobody's going to notice that I follow praxiscast or transhfuture, but on twitter I feel like one chud could look at my likes and follows, see names like Sinan or Ash Sarkar and instantly put together an argument for why I should be harassed, or why my followers should be harrassed for following me.

Sometimes I think the entire internet would be vastly improved if some kind of very focused emp took out every comment section.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I'm trying to clean up my twitter because I might have to actually start using it for freelancing / work, but also there are a bunch of funny / interesting accounts I don't want to stop following, and I still have that brain disorder where I see tweets and think 'this is important, my 50ish followers need to know about this' so I basically need to clear out my retweets.

Having been reflecting on this for a while, half the problem is that so much of this is public facing. Like on my podcast subscriptions, nobody's going to notice that I follow praxiscast or transhfuture, but on twitter I feel like one chud could look at my likes and follows, see names like Sinan or Ash Sarkar and instantly put together an argument for why I should be harassed, or why my followers should be harrassed for following me.

Sometimes I think the entire internet would be vastly improved if some kind of very focused emp took out every comment section.

Why not have separate twitter account for work / personal?

I have 3. One in my real name (rarely used), one for my political hot takes, and an alternative one for when I get blocked by someone (which so far is when someone does an automatic 'block everyone who follows whoever') but want to see their twits. That said, I have managed to stop myself signing in at all for a few weeks now.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I continue to strongly advocate for no online presence more advanced than a forum.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

The drive to get Dacre the position that he's been promised continues...

https://twitter.com/rogerkline/status/1458525546841878533

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

You just need two accounts - I have one for my business, and one for my personal (which is mostly following accounts like that and complaining at companies).

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I read somewhere yesterday that the wholesale gas prices have halved since last month from $300 per something (can't remember what!) to about $160 per something, so no telling what the energy companies might do.

It has dropped significantly and the price of futures contracts has too, but the sting is that the energy firms that have picked up customers during the market collapse will get reimbursed for the cost of doing so. They are paid by a tariff that'll be applied to next year's bills. So even if prices go back to normal, we'll all have to pay (number of customers of failed firms)*(cost of all their gas while it was more expensive than the price cap)/(number of customers in the gas market) extra.

Kin posted:

It is applicable, unless you've specifically chosen a tariff it isn't applicable to.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Novara are a business, they need clicks to survive, and clickbait titles do that. It’s a little eye-rolly, but it doesn’t really matter.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I don't normally venture into twitter but the Wellcome Collection has an exhibition that features, among others, this artist, whose art i rather enjoy. I saw this and thought of this thread

https://twitter.com/davidshrigley/status/1449268015770607617

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I am not an art person but I know what I like.

https://twitter.com/davidshrigley/status/1451064321392402438

And I like this image. (click through)

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/1458541727061577732?t=ggdxdXGbub60uk_uvyaAUg&s=19

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

They ID'd the drunk MP by her silhouette. I wonder why she wasn't named?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Our hard working MPs that really deserve that second salary.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

fuctifino posted:

Ed: .seems I was probably wrong

Anyway, Are Brave Boyz get pissed all the time so how is it disrespect?

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Nov 10, 2021

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
To be fair the whole point of Gibraltar is getting pissed up.

Why is it a conspiracy to not identify her?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

fuctifino posted:

I'm guessing because what is just a gossip story to try and make Labour MPs look as bad as Tories passes into almost-certainly-actionable if you're going to claim that someone had to be wheelchaired off the plane and they're fairly certain Charlotte Nichols would sue if they named her but it's too juicy a detail to leave out.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

How the hell do you get that drunk. I've been in some states but always managed to get home under my own power.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
Accusing someone of being drunk can be libellous unless you can satisfy a judge that they were actually drunk.
Newspapers will describe a public figure as "tired and irritable" when they are caught urinating against their own wheelie bin at 3am.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

bessantj posted:

How the hell do you get that drunk. I've been in some states but always managed to get home under my own power.

anecdotally, being drunk (not even like super double blackout drunk, just, you know, drunk drunk) does that to some people. i knew a couple of folks for whom drinking even a bit more than their norm would inadvertently turn into a prolonged battle with their own vestibular system

nurmie fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Nov 10, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you put me on a plane to gibraltar to spend time with the troops I think I would also do anything to avoid it.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
She's a lightweight (mod N.B. this is not a fat joke)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

bessantj posted:

Clearly, you have never passed out after drinking nearly an entire bottle of whisky on an empty stomach because you're on a diet and whisky was the lowest calorie drink you could find...

Or been out celebrating your 35th birthday, slipped in the ladies bogs and knocked your head and had your equally pissed friend running screaming into the main bar "she's dead she's dead" and been hustled out the back entrance by the bar staff who kindly found a taxi for you with said pissed friend giving them the directions.