Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Built digitally following the instructions created by Carbohydrates in this post in the LEGO thread, rendered in Max/Arnold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Cool. Did you use LDD?

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

No, https://www.mecabricks.com/ actually. Free, runs in browser, and lets you edit/export other uploaded designs, or start your own from scratch. Supports saves and everything. That's where I got the LEGO X-Wing I posted earlier, someone else had built it digitally. I plan on buying a bunch of custom instructions for Star Wars ships and building them in Mecabricks for a little editing (colors mostly, to differentiate ships from each other) and export to Max. This was a test, my first time trying to build something reasonably "pro" from scratch following custom instructions.

I know of LDD and stud.io, I'm sure I'll get in to them eventually if/when mecabricks stops working for me, but for now it's worked well enough.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Right. LDD is free and pretty sure it has the same features as the one we used on Lego Movie2...but browser based is handy.
Apart from some of the procedural modeling, everything was modeled in LDD.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

Respect! The Lego Movie / 2 / Batman are obviously huge inspiration and reference for my extremely-early-stages project. What did you work on?

Some MOCs I'll probably buy later offer LDD files along with instructions (which is all I need, zero plans to build any of this stuff physically, and it'd be nice not to have to build things digitally either)... how easy is it to export out to more traditional 3D software? And what was the procedural workflow like? My LEGO Star Wars project calls for the rebel base on Yavin at several scales, as well as the surrounding forest. No way that's getting done without some procedural hacks.

I've seen stuff like this:
https://vimeo.com/436987803

But I've never even touched Houdini, so whether I can do anything with the knowledge that it's possible is an open question.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I mostly worked on optimizing the RBD workflow and then some time on creating procedural piles of lego.
I only have a couple of shots, as I got an attractive offer elsewhere and left before the movie was finished. (In fact, before they had even decided on act2 & 3).
We had a full brick library in Houdini, along with stud information, etc...which meant we could use the studs to create constrains and getting quite realistic physics.
One of the neater things was to group similar style bricks in for 'particle' sims. So you'd create a sequence of bricks that would represent the various stages of the sim and it would
We would often look-dev those in LDD and we could export scenes from LDD and pull them into Houdini. (Although in most cases, we just pulled the brick ID's.)
Just checked and LDD exports some weird format, but I remember looking at couple of years ago and there's converters available.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos

Listerine posted:

Figuring out some toon shading with Redshift is on my list of things to do whenever I can find the time, last time I looked this is literally the only tut I could find on the topic that wasn't garbage. But you have to pay for the patreon.

https://entagma.com/rendering-101-pt-24-building-non-photorealistic-shaders-in-redshift/

They have a lot of other good training stuff so one month of patreon might still be worth it.

Wanted to give you another update on this: using this method heavily modified, combined with an inverted hull method (thanks ray switch!) for dynamic outlines has seemed to get some pretty decent looking NPR! Haven’t scaled it up beyond some some serious R&D on a couple of assets, but I think I’ll be able to adapt to all the things we need.

Only big thing left is outlines that can be art-directed. I tried my best to do some Houdini wizardry to generate curves from normals edges, but I’m nowhere near good enough to make that work cleanly. So I think the constant and silhouette outlines are going to end up on the 2D side.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Are there Montreal houdini people here? I'm wondering how pertinent the stuff I do in houdini can be and have some impostor syndrome going on.

Apr 7, 2019

Unity bought Weta
https://blog.unity.com/news/welcome-weta-digital

"The unified tools and the incredible scientists and technologists of Weta Digital will accelerate our mission to give content creators easy to use and high performance tools to bring their visions to life. This pipeline has been developed with an artists-first mentality and the result is an incredible set of tools capable of the pinnacle of visual effects (VFX) forged within the uncompromising schedules of hundreds of film and TV productions.

Our goal is to put these world-class, exclusive VFX tools into the hands of millions of creators and artists around the world, and once connected with the Unity platform, enable the next generation of RT3D creativity. Whatever the metaverse is or will be, we believe it will be built by content creators, just like you."

I'm finding it hard to imagine how Weta's internal VFX tools are going to translate to a realtime game engine for the public. Or maybe I just don't understand their tools well enough?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

500 posted:

Unity bought Weta
https://blog.unity.com/news/welcome-weta-digital

"The unified tools and the incredible scientists and technologists of Weta Digital will accelerate our mission to give content creators easy to use and high performance tools to bring their visions to life. This pipeline has been developed with an artists-first mentality and the result is an incredible set of tools capable of the pinnacle of visual effects (VFX) forged within the uncompromising schedules of hundreds of film and TV productions.

Our goal is to put these world-class, exclusive VFX tools into the hands of millions of creators and artists around the world, and once connected with the Unity platform, enable the next generation of RT3D creativity. Whatever the metaverse is or will be, we believe it will be built by content creators, just like you."

I'm finding it hard to imagine how Weta's internal VFX tools are going to translate to a realtime game engine for the public. Or maybe I just don't understand their tools well enough?

The headline should be : Unity buy some of Weta tools, named a large chunk of their RnD dept, including 275 engineers/software peeps. Weta will continue as Weta FX with ~1700 or so artists, still primarily owned by PJ.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Slothful Bong posted:

Wanted to give you another update on this: using this method heavily modified, combined with an inverted hull method (thanks ray switch!) for dynamic outlines has seemed to get some pretty decent looking NPR! Haven’t scaled it up beyond some some serious R&D on a couple of assets, but I think I’ll be able to adapt to all the things we need.

Only big thing left is outlines that can be art-directed. I tried my best to do some Houdini wizardry to generate curves from normals edges, but I’m nowhere near good enough to make that work cleanly. So I think the constant and silhouette outlines are going to end up on the 2D side.

Hey I just found a couple other items, first this popped on my twitter feed which I thought was nifty (though maybe not of particular use)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSrtJ3C0MPo

but it brought me to this other video by the same person on cel shading in Houdini. Haven't had time to watch it yet but might have some ideas for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lw6XBWL3i3s

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

I'd appreciate some advice!

I'm trying to make this thing so I can print it. I'm using 3D Studio Max, mostly because it's what I know, but I don't feel like it's a great tool for this. I was trying to do some low-poly forms for it and use Open Subdivision to smooth everything out afterwards, and if this were a flat form that'd be more than enough for the job, but the part I'm getting absolutely screwed up on is the areas where the design tucks under itself at intersecting points.

I can kinda nudge things around on the low-poly version and put edges in, but it's a lot of manual work and I don't really like what's happening in the areas where the design creases in on itself:

Is there a better way of doing this? I've been considering ZBrush but while I know I could smooth some pinched areas out I know it'd also be an equally nightmarish amount of masking work to do.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Harvey Baldman posted:

Is there a better way of doing this? I've been considering ZBrush but while I know I could smooth some pinched areas out I know it'd also be an equally nightmarish amount of masking work to do.

Dynamesh with high resolution settings would handle the intersections to create an object with a single continuous surface, but with that complex an object, autoremeshing would probably be frustrating if you wanted really straight edges.

If you only need the printed part to have the stencil shape, and not preserve the height differences, I would use that geometry in a boolean operation on a plane to get the stencil shape, and then extrude it to the desired height.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

Listerine posted:

Dynamesh with high resolution settings would handle the intersections to create an object with a single continuous surface, but with that complex an object, autoremeshing would probably be frustrating if you wanted really straight edges.

If you only need the printed part to have the stencil shape, and not preserve the height differences, I would use that geometry in a boolean operation on a plane to get the stencil shape, and then extrude it to the desired height.

I sadly need to print the whole thing, depth and all, including the areas where it dips under itself.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Harvey Baldman posted:

I sadly need to print the whole thing, depth and all, including the areas where it dips under itself.

I would then do one of two things, personally. (I'm sure everyone else in this thread have better approaches.)

1) Dynamesh in Zbrush with really high settings, so that any loss of sharpness at the 90 degree edges is less than the printer's settings are able to resolve.

2) Methodically boolean the pieces together in software of choice. Will be slower than method 1 above only because boolean operations are kind of finicky and trying to do one operation with all the parts might produce weird results, so I would be doing it pairwise until all pieces are united.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Id model it with as many overlapping objects as you need, then when it's done use tyflow to turn it into a vdb with an extremely high density, watertight/single volume, 20m poly+ object. That will give you good control over the blending between intersecting objects too, then use the new max remeshers and auto retopology to bring it back down to a manageable polycount before printing.
Max is better at retopo than zbrush since 2022.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Nov 11, 2021

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Any recommendations for a cheap 3d scanner to get reference models of bottles (as in standard liquor/wine bottles)?. Doesn't have to result in a usable model, just a good base to work from to build the actual model on top of.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
You'd probably need to use some scanning spray or some gold bond powder or something, but a revopoint pop should work for you. If you've got an iPhone x or later there's a few apps to use the lidar in the selfie cam as well.

I own both, and an einscan se, and the phone (used, from a fellow goon actually) and pop were the cheaper choices. The einscan is something like 719 on Amazon for a refurb though. All pretty good and should work fine.

Cheapest option is still gonna be photogrammetry though. Building a mesh is a pain but the initial cost is basically a camera and some light.

Also, there may already be models of the bottles out there. I bought one a few years back when I needed a Johnny walker red bottle for my drunk superman hot toys.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Any Blender experts here? I am trying to model a real world camera (a drone camera that has 20mm focal length (35 mm equivalent)

I want to work out what height the drone was from a photo and then recreate that scene in Blender (real measurements are important) I measured the aerial top down photo area in Google Earth and then used a site (link below) to get a height of 360 metres (it's above the sea so a flat plane.)

https://www.scantips.com/lights/fieldofview.html#top

When I add a 20mm (35mm camera) in Blender I have to set it to 620 meters distance to get it to fit a plane the same area the same as the drone image.

What am I missing here?

jarlywarly fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Nov 26, 2021

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Use a proper camera matching tool. Im not sure how knowing the field of view can tell you anything about the camera height. What did you measure if its above the sea too?
I googled 'blender camera match script' and it seems like there are a lot of options.

There's also a process to do it manually but it's kind of long winded and I use max. If you're willing to share the photo I can give some quick pointers that might make it easier, probably involving editing the image before you start.

Don't forget drone photo metadata usually has coordinates embedded - they're not perfect but you'll be within 15ft and can manually refine from there.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Nov 26, 2021

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

cubicle gangster posted:

Use a proper camera matching tool. Im not sure how knowing the field of view can tell you anything about the camera height. What did you measure if its above the sea too?
I googled 'blender camera match script' and it seems like there are a lot of options.

There's also a process to do it manually but it's kind of long winded and I use max. If you're willing to share the photo I can give some quick pointers that might make it easier, probably involving editing the image before you start.

Don't forget drone photo metadata usually has coordinates embedded - they're not perfect but you'll be within 15ft and can manually refine from there.

Unfortunately I don't have the metadata I have a download from YouTube.

I know the drone make mode (DJI Phantom 3) and that the camera was the onboard.

I found the location in Google Earth, used terrain features (its partially on the coast and has other features like reefs) added it as an overlay, matched up the features and used the ruler tool measure horizontally and vertically.

If you know the the dimensions of the field of view and the focal length of view you can calculate the distance from camera to subject (ie drone to ground) is my understanding

This is a screen grab from the video

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
You could try camera motion tracking and then add a couple of tracking markers whose distance you know and try setting the scene scale that way.

Here's one quick video about camera tracking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lY8Ol2n4o4A

Wheany fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Nov 26, 2021

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

You also need to know the lens distortion.

Apr 7, 2019

Can you be sure the original footage wasn't cropped at all? If they did any cropping it would make the image appear to be shot with a longer focal length.

If you're trying to recreate the scene, maybe using the blender-osm plugin would help? I'm pretty sure it imports at real-world units, and you get the terrain as well as the buildings (although the buildings are typically represented by low-resolution boxes). I'm not an expert, but I feel like combining this with wheany's suggestion to track the footage and generate a camera path would get you pretty close.

There are also tools like fSpy, which has a Blender import plugin, but I feel like it might be kind of tricky to use on your image since it requires drawing straight lines over building features, and you only have very small buildings to play with.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Mostly I am trying to work out why Blender puts the drone at over double the height that other tools do. I feel I am making some fundamental error somewhere.

Apr 7, 2019

Ok, I had to go and find the same video so I could figure out what numbers to put in the calculator (it looks like you're trying to do some UFO detective work, which makes this a lot more exciting)

Anyway, I did the measurements myself and got a value of roughly ~620 metres using the tool you provided, which matches your blender estimate. I think mine might be incorrect, though, after comparing to other drone footage at similar heights. Either way, maybe this will give you some insight into what is going wrong.

I did the same thing as you and measured the approximate area in google maps (646m wide, 364m high), then googled the specs of the phantom 3 (20mm lens, 35mm equivalent), then set the aspect ratio to 16:9, 1920x1080, like the guy mentioned he used on YouTube.

edit: holy crap that image looks big. oh well i don't think i can change it now sorry

Only registered members can see post attachments!

500 fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 27, 2021

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
A project which has consumed a phenomenal amount of my time over the last 18 months is finally launching.

It's a four seasons private residences in Austin, overlooking the lake. Might be on the most incredible real estate site i've seen in my entire career. I was on site again a few weeks ago with a dual 5ds setup getting some stereoscopic landscape photography from a tower that's been built - getting up at 5am for dawn and watching the sunset every night up there was pretty special.
I've been leading most of the images in Miami with everyone here, but we've had a lot of people at dbox contribute to and work on them, including some of the guys in our new Ukraine studio.

https://www.fourseasons.com/residences/private_residences/lake-austin/

We've done around 80 images in total (so far), but only the ones at this link are currently public.
One reason we've been on this for so long, and done so many images - Matthew bannister, CEO of DBOX, is the lead design architect on the project. His first built work will be a $1.4bn four seasons... not a bad portfolio opener! but basically it's been really exciting for us to go beyond a service of making images, we've been super close to this project every step of the way.
The client has been amazing, an absolute joy to work with. he's the perfect client, and that's likely because he doesnt have any real estate experience - he made his money in tech.

Fun fact - richard garriott of ultima fame lives right next door, with his mini recreation of Shakespeare's theater and a private renaissance fair type setup along the riverbank. That's all hidden in the trees in the lower left corner of the aerial image.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Dec 2, 2021

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo looks great!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Yeah both the renders and the facility itself. drat.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos
Wow dude, you continue to amaze! Great work!

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Thanks!
Hopefully, we'll have more to share soon. The fitness center/orangerie/spa is astonishing, and then the penthouse floorplan layouts are flawless. Lots of really spectacular spaces, makes the CG side a lot easier!

Sales have far exceeded everyone's expectations so there's been no need to make much of it public yet, but we will be showing it all eventually.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Does anyone know if there's a good sculpting app for Android? I'm not expecting much from it, basically I just want the 3D equivalent of a sketch app - I've started to properly explore sculpting in Blender and I've taken to it like a fish to water, so when I go to see the parents over Christmas I'd like to keep that momentum going.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Does anyone know if there's a good sculpting app for Android? I'm not expecting much from it, basically I just want the 3D equivalent of a sketch app - I've started to properly explore sculpting in Blender and I've taken to it like a fish to water, so when I go to see the parents over Christmas I'd like to keep that momentum going.

Give Nomad sculpt a go. The trial only allows one undo state, but it looks pretty handy. I had a fool around with it a while ago.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I have a client that wants to be able to view an .obj on his macbook. Rotate, zoom etc. so he can use it as reference for a sculpture
It's going to be a decimated detailed zbrush model so maybe around 1mil polys

What would be a good app for this? He's probably not super 3d literate so he probably won't mess around with Blender.
I don't have a mac so I can't test stuff out

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Sketchfab? Just do it in browser

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

EoinCannon posted:

I have a client that wants to be able to view an .obj on his macbook. Rotate, zoom etc. so he can use it as reference for a sculpture
It's going to be a decimated detailed zbrush model so maybe around 1mil polys

What would be a good app for this? He's probably not super 3d literate so he probably won't mess around with Blender.
I don't have a mac so I can't test stuff out

Autodesk has a free viewer app specifically for this kind of thing: https://viewer.autodesk.com/

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Gearman posted:

Autodesk has a free viewer app specifically for this kind of thing: https://viewer.autodesk.com/

Thanks! This looks like a good solution

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Also semi related.. but I was surprised to find that windows preview pane supports obj. Nuts!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It's because of the 3D object viewer they added a few years ago, trying to get in early on what they probably assumed would be the 3D printing craze. But if you need that functionality then hey, it does actually have a use!

the_lion posted:

Give Nomad sculpt a go. The trial only allows one undo state, but it looks pretty handy. I had a fool around with it a while ago.

I'll give that a look, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
So I've been working on a Blender animation near daily for the better part of this year and I've almost reached the end of the animation blocking phase, ready for polishing in the new year. With 3.0 I can finally start rendering in Cycles which is great, but it takes a long, long time on my 1080rtx and doesn't hit the quality I'd like. This isn't too much of a problem currently because I'm not going to be doing much more than test renders, but it will later. Obviously getting a graphics card with grunt for a reasonable price(!) in this era is out of the question, so I was wondering: Does anyone know of any reputable Blender render farms that deliver good results and aren't too arcane to handle? I've tried using SheepIt but the network stuff is so spotty that I can barely get any results. Paying a monthly fee every once in a while to get some good quality renders done at a reasonable speed would be tickety boo with me - the alternative is selling my organs on the black market for a 3080ti and I'm not quite ready to go that far.