Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

obi_ant posted:

2016 La Rioja Alta "Viña Alberdi" Reserva Rioja is another neat little bottle from Rioja.

Alberdi is great, one of the best bargains in old world wine. If you're willing to spend a little more (~35 instead of 25) the Bosconia from Lopez de Heredia is also phenomenal for the money and an excellent next step up.

Though I'm still laughing for picking up 2010 Suduiraut for $30 for 375s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Went to a wine bar to eat grilled mont d'or and drink a bunch of Jura wines from Rolet. All magnums, lots of different vintages going all the way back to 83. I enjoyed the 1992 Arbois Tradition the most; plenty of flor, good acidity, but everything in balance. The Cote du Jura Tradition from the same year was very similar, but the flor was slightly more intense which did not match the elegance of the former. The reds were great too. The 1990 and 2000 Arbois Memorial tasted like completely different wines, while both were light and very drinkable you could clearly observe the difference in concentration in the glass, with the former being pretty rosé-like.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

JohnCompany posted:

Alberdi is great, one of the best bargains in old world wine. If you're willing to spend a little more (~35 instead of 25) the Bosconia from Lopez de Heredia is also phenomenal for the money and an excellent next step up.

Though I'm still laughing for picking up 2010 Suduiraut for $30 for 375s.

I love Sauternes. I really want to have a nice cheese pairing with it. I never get the opportunity because most of the time when I open one it is a guest wondering about the small bottle and we drink it as a dessert wine.

That's also a stupidly good price on that bottle.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Last Sauterne I had I enjoyed with a Stilton, 10/10

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

So I've figured out I really like Barbera D'Asti, what are some good lowish tanin moderate acid wines in the like 15-30 range?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Trying a UK sparkling today, Fox & Fox Essence Pure Chardonnay Brut. I've bought many champagnes that taste less like champagne than this. Fine bubbles, but yikes the brett on the nose. Not blowing off either. I could perhaps return it, but meh. I'm not that sensitive to off smells. I've always figured the UK could make as good bubbly as France and the more I learn about wine the more convinced I am of it. Proudly 50/50 error in blind tastings.

Speaking of returning, I bought it because I went to the store to return my first oxed white burg. Not the grandest of bottles, Jean Monnier Beaune-Montrevenots Premier Cru 2013. As I said, I'm not that sensitive to off smells, but this was sherry deluxe.

Ola fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Nov 20, 2021

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

LionYeti posted:

So I've figured out I really like Barbera D'Asti, what are some good lowish tanin moderate acid wines in the like 15-30 range?

Sticking in that area, the houses known for Barolos typically produce non-nebbiolo wines in that price range. I've had a Roagna Barbera d'Alba and a Vietti Dolcetto that both really impressed me, those should be 20-some a bottle.

And to make two absurdly specific recommendations, I think recent vintages of the Heitz Grignolino should come in just at 30, and that's a really nice red on the softer side. If you just want to drink velvet in terms of texture there's also the Claus Preisinger Kieselstein, but I'm not sure that zweigelt in general is what you're looking for.

Jean-Paul Shartre fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Nov 20, 2021

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

LionYeti posted:

The difference between d'Asti and d'Alba is said to be lighter vs darker fruit and elegance vs scale. I find the differences only discernible if you've got them side by side. As said, Barbera is omnipresent in Piedmont and just about all producers there will have a Barbera bottling of some sort, though you may not see them Stateside. My suggestion is to taste broadly and not worry about d'Asti vs d'Alba as long as it comes from Piedmont. Finally Dolcetto will be even lower acid with even darker fruit and is worth exploring if that's what you're into; personally I prefer Barbera

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

got off on a technicality posted:

The difference between d'Asti and d'Alba is said to be lighter vs darker fruit and elegance vs scale. I find the differences only discernible if you've got them side by side. As said, Barbera is omnipresent in Piedmont and just about all producers there will have a Barbera bottling of some sort, though you may not see them Stateside. My suggestion is to taste broadly and not worry about d'Asti vs d'Alba as long as it comes from Piedmont. Finally Dolcetto will be even lower acid with even darker fruit and is worth exploring if that's what you're into; personally I prefer Barbera

To add to this good advice, think about producers. If one firm makes a d'Alba you like, you'll probably also like their d'Asti.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I've been trying to expand my wine palate these past couple of months, and while I discovered I definitely prefer whites in general, I've had a malbec wine for the first time recently, and I think it's my favorite of the reds. What exactly separates malbecs from other varieties of wines, and what do they pair well with?

My first instinct is something creamy and maybe a little sharp, like maybe pasta with a creamy white sauce, or a platter with a block of strong blue cheese, but I don't exactly know why I think that. How or where do people go about learning and expanding their culinary vocabulary? Are there any go-to books people can recommend? I'd like to further my ability to taste and pair meals through the means of language.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Blue Labrador posted:

I've been trying to expand my wine palate these past couple of months, and while I discovered I definitely prefer whites in general, I've had a malbec wine for the first time recently, and I think it's my favorite of the reds. What exactly separates malbecs from other varieties of wines, and what do they pair well with?

My first instinct is something creamy and maybe a little sharp, like maybe pasta with a creamy white sauce, or a platter with a block of strong blue cheese, but I don't exactly know why I think that. How or where do people go about learning and expanding their culinary vocabulary? Are there any go-to books people can recommend? I'd like to further my ability to taste and pair meals through the means of language.

Malbec is a grape. Other wines may be made with other grapes entirely, or a mix of grapes including malbec.

It makes for rich wines with dark fruit flavors, but it's not very tannic. Your pairings sound good. Meat works well too, especially pork, or a young cut of lamb that's not so gamey.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Holy moly, this entire time I thought the different names for wine referenced different styles of manufacturing, like spirits and liquours... they're just named after the type of grape? I'm grateful for the info, but I feel loutish now.

When it comes to meat and wine, I've mainly oscillated between reds, chicken, and different types of fish: I've happened to never give pork much thought. I appreciate that suggestion! That opens a lot more meals I can mess around with.

Lamb sounds fun to play with too, but I haven't much experience with it outside of greek restaurants. I'll have to post in another thread to see what people do with it.

Blue Labrador fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Nov 24, 2021

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Blue Labrador posted:

Holy moly, this entire time I thought the different names for wine referenced different styles of manufacturing, like spirits and liquours... they're just named after the type of grape? I'm grateful for the info, but I feel loutish now.

Most of them are named after the type of grape but some like Bordeaux or Rioja are named for where they’re made.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Lots of wines are just named whatever the winemaker enjoys as well. Yesterday I drank a wine named "Umami" and nothing else. There's no one system, which can be annoying, but the areas that do try to enforce a lot of rules and poo poo are annoying in their own way, so it would probably be a bad idea to standardize.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Blue Labrador posted:

When it comes to meat and wine, I've mainly oscillated between reds, chicken, and different types of fish: I've happened to never give pork much thought. I appreciate that suggestion! That opens a lot more meals I can mess around with.

Lamb sounds fun to play with too, but I haven't much experience with it outside of greek restaurants. I'll have to post in another thread to see what people do with it.

Braised lamb shanks are very easy to do. The Gordon Ramsey recipe is pretty fool-proof. Mashed or oven roasted potatoes on the side.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Blue Labrador posted:

Are you looking for wines with body? Chardonnay, Pinot Blanc, Gewurztraminer are some whites that can have some good body to them. Fairly cheap depending on the region.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Blue Labrador posted:

How or where do people go about learning and expanding their culinary vocabulary? Are there any go-to books people can recommend? I'd like to further my ability to taste and pair meals through the means of language.

The rabbit hole is deep my friend. Just start wherever and see where the next step takes you. Here's a fun TV show to check out (although it looks really old no, two seasons where James May from Top Gear gets to learn about wine with wine writer Oz Clarke. I've linked episode 2 since it deal with food pairing, but all the other episodes should be there if you like the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im92pI6W4XY

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Blue Labrador posted:

Almost everyone overthinks the hell out of this. Much conventional wisdom is rooted in something real (e.g. fish needs white wines), but should never be treated as more than a decent starting point. Counterintuitive pairings I have very much enjoyed: rich fish like turbot with high acid low tannin reds, dessert wines with hors d'oeuvres, Sauternes (not Barsac) with lobster, white wines (esp richer white Burgundies) with just about anything up to and including highly elaborate tasting menus. There is nothing more specific I can say other than: try as many things as possible and please take good notes and share them here. Thanks!

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

How come some wines when left overnight will become more acidic in the morning than the previous day?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

obi_ant posted:

How come some wines when left overnight will become more acidic in the morning than the previous day?

Maybe exposure to oxygen converts some acid into a slightly different acid that reacts more with our taste buds? Maybe they're just as acidic, but they've lost some of the stuff that balanced out the acidity? Maybe you're more sensitive to acid in the morning? Who knows. Wines are extremely complex and there's so many variables at play. I find I can leave most wines overnight just fine, but I killed a nice Burgundy once, even cork on and in the fridge.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Largely the same thing my brother (who's a winemaker) said when I asked him. He said acidity will rise but usually not that fast, so probably either it's warmer so you taste it more, or it opened up to show its acidity more

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I usually don't find that wines turn more acidic per se, but some white wines can lose some of their more juicy stone fruit / tropical fruit characteristics when left for a while, meaning I am left with citrus and sort of austere mineralic / grassy stuff. The loss of that implied sweetness might make it seem more acidic. Sort of the same thing sometimes happens with oak-derived vanilla/butterscotch notes for me, they sometimes turn into woody/smoky notes, which does not balance acid as much.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

re: the mousey wines import thing on the last page. The guys are just annoying and into themselves in a way that is particular to Norwegians in a hip industry, where they think they’re changing the world by selling wine or something. I went to their tasting the other week and it was loving insufferable culturally. They do work with some good producers though! Anyway, just wanted to chime in to say that it’s not you, it’s them lol

E: also this years BoJo Novo from Foillard was insane!!

straight up brolic fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Nov 29, 2021

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

straight up brolic posted:

re: the mousey wines import thing on the last page. The guys are just annoying and into themselves in a way that is particular to Norwegians in a hip industry, where they think they’re changing the world by selling wine or something. I went to their tasting the other week and it was loving insufferable culturally. They do work with some good producers though! Anyway, just wanted to chime in to say that it’s not you, it’s them lol

E: also this years BoJo Novo from Foillard was insane!!

Good to know.

I usually skip the nouveau thing, they're just not very good in my experience, and not really cheaper than the cru. I broke this rule with a bottle of David-Beaupere's nouveau and after a single glass I decided to just boil the rest into a sauce. Happy to be proven wrong.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

thotsky posted:

Good to know.

I usually skip the nouveau thing, they're just not very good in my experience, and not really cheaper than the cru. I broke this rule with a bottle of David-Beaupere's nouveau and after a single glass I decided to just boil the rest into a sauce. Happy to be proven wrong.
I can highly recommend the Foillard, it’s the only Nouveau I’ve ever actually liked unironically, and I think it’s competitive with the Cru wines. It’s at all the vinmonopolets I think, or atleast most of the ones here in Oslo

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

I can highly recommend the Foillard, it’s the only Nouveau I’ve ever actually liked unironically, and I think it’s competitive with the Cru wines. It’s at all the vinmonopolets I think, or atleast most of the ones here in Oslo

I will give it a shot. Cru Foillard has never disappointed. It seems to be selling out everywhere, but I reserved a bottle at Frogner.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I know premox on White Burgundy is a thing, but I've been running into premox on Loire Chenin and it's bumming me out. First I got burned on a bunch of cheaper older Savennières from Winebid, 2 different domaines. Recently had Marie Thibault Chenin Blanc 'Premier Nez' 2018, very natty, tasted halfway to premox being only a 2018, very one dimensional bruised apple dominated. Was expecting a stellar experience, her gamay was very memorable. I should have saved the bottle and got store credit but alas.

Is this a thing?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I have never gotten one, which probably just means I am not able to tell.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Comb Your Beard posted:

I know premox on White Burgundy is a thing, but I've been running into premox on Loire Chenin and it's bumming me out. First I got burned on a bunch of cheaper older Savennières from Winebid, 2 different domaines. Recently had Marie Thibault Chenin Blanc 'Premier Nez' 2018, very natty, tasted halfway to premox being only a 2018, very one dimensional bruised apple dominated. Was expecting a stellar experience, her gamay was very memorable. I should have saved the bottle and got store credit but alas.

Is this a thing?
premox in aged Loire is 100% a fairly common thing and is unfortunately going to happen with most aged, dry white wines at some point (hence the comparison with burgundy). You’re playing roulette after 10 years.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Oxidation will happen sooner or later, but premature oxidation doesn't have to.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

$20 Brouilly finally became available last year where I live and it's become far and away my favorite bottle to drink for any occasion.

I've already bought and drank a case and a half this year alone I think I might need help lol.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

anakha posted:

$20 Brouilly finally became available last year where I live and it's become far and away my favorite bottle to drink for any occasion.

I've already bought and drank a case and a half this year alone I think I might need help lol.

Not trying to one-up you, but WTSO has $15 Fleurie or Moulin-à-Vent sometimes. $10 villages. Free shipping where I am on the east coast. I feel you, I could drink Beaujolais all the time.

Just had some 2018 Loire Gamay-Cot aka Malbec blend from the local natty shop. Definite success here, needed some air.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Right, so, it's better, and definitely drinkable, but it still can't hold a handle to cru beaujolais. This bottle has that banana Ola is always complaining which I never really pick up in the Cru stuff.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Drinking a Hundred Suns - Old Eight Cut and it is amazing. It's everything I want out of a Pinot Noir, without a stupidly high price point. Lots of dried asian plum, cherry, tart raspberry, a touch of cola, mushrooms and dirt. The finish is also very long.

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Comb Your Beard posted:

Is this a thing?
Very late reply but anecdotally I've heard complaints about Clos Rougeard Breze being premoxed. We can point to premox because there's great variability across bottles from the same vintage - some bottles are undrinkable apple cider while others are pristine

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

obi_ant posted:

Drinking a Hundred Suns - Old Eight Cut and it is amazing. It's everything I want out of a Pinot Noir, without a stupidly high price point. Lots of dried asian plum, cherry, tart raspberry, a touch of cola, mushrooms and dirt. The finish is also very long.

That sounds great! I want it! But it's not distributed in Europe. Let's import it. But it's small volume you say? No problem, just outbid some of the American buyers. Let's see, shipping small volume, import, customs, last mile, oh god look what happened to the price point. :(

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Guys I’m drinking the Kirkland Chablis and it’s…… not bad? I wouldn’t say it’s premier cru quality (despite the label lol) as it doesn’t have the zip and steely minerality I expect from really great Chablis.

Not bad though? Am I going soft?

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002

taco show posted:

Guys I’m drinking the Kirkland Chablis and it’s…… not bad? I wouldn’t say it’s premier cru quality (despite the label lol) as it doesn’t have the zip and steely minerality I expect from really great Chablis.

Not bad though? Am I going soft?

Keep in mind 1er Cru and grand cru vineyards tend to be the warmer sites, meaning they get richer and more full bodied. They're also more frequently subjected to oak instead of stainless, which will add roundness and curb some of the citrus freshness, even if the barrels are well used. For steely, mineral chablis, pick up regular AOC Chablis.

You might know the above info, just throwing that out there. Some of the top Chablis producers from top sites can disappoint people looking for that citrus/mineral/seashell thing. Raveneau and Dauvissat, for example, can be quite creamy and rich compared to baseline Chablis. It's tough to say what's "classic" Chablis when the bottom and top ends taste so different. That's all a long way of me saying, drat Kirkland makes a 1er Cru Chablis for 20 American dollars?! I'm in, thank you! Gonna nab a bottle.

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Crimson posted:

For steely, mineral chablis, pick up regular AOC Chablis.
Louis Michel 1er crus all the way, for not much more than Kirkland!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002
True! I should qualify that by saying certain producers don't use oak, even on 1er and grand cru. Louis Michel being one of em. Piuze being another.

Edit: I take that back, just read up, I always thought Piuze was all stainless, but he does employ some oak. Michel is all stainless.

Crimson fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 24, 2021