Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

RatHat posted:

If the game was free this would be fine. But it cost full price

No one bought that game at full price be real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

CharlestheHammer posted:

No one bought that game at full price be real

But its never been free

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

RatHat posted:

But it’s never been free

Good

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

goblin week posted:

It’s not a loving first person game!

Hey wait a minute you’re right! It’s a third person game.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
where are the true immersive video games that speak to my personal experiences

let me play €60 US dollars to play an internet forum simulator where i post about what video games should be

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Are there any second-person games? Or is that just twitch?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

let me play €60 US dollars to play an internet forum simulator where i post about what video games should be

You can buy as many accounts as you like.

Alternatively, I think that's kind of the premise of hypnospace outlaw?

gleebster posted:

There is a cheat code you can put into tekken that puts it into second person mode and you can beat up the camera.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

gleebster posted:

the only thing i can think of are strategies and management games where you don't directly control your units/pawns and don't inhabit a particular character. so like Rimworld or Dwarf Fortress maybe

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

They got Wild Hogs on Amazon Prime

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

nurmie posted:

the only thing i can think of are strategies and management games where you don't directly control your units/pawns and don't inhabit a particular character. so like Rimworld or Dwarf Fortress maybe

That's third person, second person is you are diegetically in the scene as the person in the scene who is not the subject, but instead the person the subject is talking to.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

gleebster posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mC8QoRa8y_Q&hd=1

Good video about a good part of a good game.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

gleebster posted:

The first boss of Battletoads is fought from the boss's point of view.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

gleebster posted:

Lucas arts style adventure games are kinda second person aren’t they? You don’t directly control the character you just tell them what to do

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

There's definitely at least parts of several action games where the camera is going from the boss' perspective and you have to run away or the like.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Powered Descent posted:

This is reminding me of the people who were seriously freaked out that in that Cyberpunk game there was a mission where you had to evict people for an evil landlord, or something like that.

It's a game. You're free to play differently than your own personal ethical principles would guide you to act in the real world. Really.

I got literally booed in Games for suggesting that to someone kvetching about a mission where you put down a peasant revolt in Octopath Traveler

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

OwlFancier posted:

That's third person, second person is you are diegetically in the scene as the person in the scene who is not the subject, but instead the person the subject is talking to.

In old games like Starcraft and Warcraft the briefings and characters were actually talking to you directly, although you were still just the incorporeal "commander" giving orders.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hmm I guess, though that then raises the question of whether or not they are first person games, especially say, Supreme Commander, because the map is literally just the screen inside your giant robot that walks around on the battlefield.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Powered Descent posted:

This is reminding me of the people who were seriously freaked out that in that Cyberpunk game there was a mission where you had to evict people for an evil landlord, or something like that.

It's a game. You're free to play differently than your own personal ethical principles would guide you to act in the real world. Really.

no! you must follow real-world ethics while in game, and what you do in game represents your true character

which is why most civilised societies have agreed to shoot Rimworld players on sight

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Is that cyberpunk mission optional? Or does it feature some choice or solution where you gently caress over the landlord and help the little guy instead?
If not I think that's a pretty valid complaint. Since it's a mission antithetical to the ethos of the cyberpunk genre and source RPG and aint what a decent chunk of the players are signing on for.

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0
better watch out for those Crusader Kings folks... they're going to initiate the Horse Revolution any day now

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Specops is the Ted Rall of games.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

rydiafan posted:

Well, that answers that question. Interesting.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

nurmie posted:

no! you must follow real-world ethics while in game, and what you do in game represents your true character

which is why most civilised societies have agreed to shoot Rimworld players on sight

Excuse you but I make all of my colonies perfect oases of utopian abundance and if I had a way to peacefully dissuade ten thousand angry people with clubs from trying to steal my golden toilets I would employ it.

On the plus side if you ever do end up on the planet of angry cannibal cavemen I am extremely qualified to design you a place to live.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Don't poo poo Your Pants came out in 2009 and nothing has approached it since

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Heath posted:

I got literally booed in Games for suggesting that to someone kvetching about a mission where you put down a peasant revolt in Octopath Traveler

Goons. Goons never change.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Don't poo poo Your Pants came out in 2009 and nothing has approached it since

uh hello

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0_EWr2GJ5A

Scratch Monkey has a new favorite as of 22:43 on Nov 10, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I saw the username on the channel and I had a moment of extreme cognitive vertigo remembering the obama election animation and it's all loving CONNECTED maaaaaaaan

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

rydiafan posted:

Its author certainly belongs in this thread.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

gleebster posted:

Some old school text adventures were written in the second person, if that counts.

"You are standing in a cold, dark cell" and so on.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

OwlFancier posted:

hmmm, i wonder if by this definition Crusader Kings are a second-person POV game. or is it actually a first-person game? as in, you control the ruler who then controls the kingdom which you kinda do from that ruler's POV? i'm getting confused now :saddumb:

there also probably should be some way to deliniate the perspective from the mode of control (that is, that thing i mentioned about indirectly controlling your dudes). i wonder how an indirect mode of control would look in a first-person perspective

christmas boots posted:

Some old school text adventures were written in the second person, if that counts.

"You are standing in a cold, dark cell" and so on.

i thought about this example, but then i remembered that Disco Elysium is mostly written in the second person, and it's a third person POV game

Or Is It????

would a presense of a narrator make a game second-person? does it make classic RPGs second person games? i'm even more confused now lol

nurmie has a new favorite as of 22:56 on Nov 10, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

nurmie posted:

there also probably should be some way to deliniate the perspective from the mode of control (that is, that thing i mentioned about indirectly controlling your dudes). i wonder how an indirect mode of control would look in a first-person perspective

That would be the "vehicle camera" button in workers and resources soviet republic, or possibly if there was a spectate-only version of minion possession in dungeon keeper.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Spec ops the Line is the Dark souls of video games

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
litigating a 9 year old game and linking to the softboi sexpest

Spec Ops: the Line this thread

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Catpain Slack posted:

drat it, I forgot he was the one that made this video. :negative:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

When you think about it, what we call first-person games are actually second person - all of the action is being done from the perspective of you, the player. Characters will say "you" to the screen and be addressing the protagonist.

The real question is what a true first-person game would be like, where the protagonist is showing you what they're doing.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Catpain Slack posted:

Explain.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

RatHat posted:

But its never been free

the game Spec Ops The Line which is definitely third person which almost nobody in this thread seems to have actually played has been free on multiple game services at various points in the last decade

Queen Gnome
Jul 30, 2006

Her Lawnliness

Best reply to this University of Austin joke:

https://twitter.com/majinheathcliff/status/1457713306492342281?t=Q9gyCk90B7XoA3kX4ZOCGw&s=19

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
at this point Spec Ops The Line has entered public consciousness as "that game that critiques CoD and has That Shocking Willy Pete Scene in it"

which is why people assume its 1st person, and don't talk about all the other - much more interesting - stuff that it does really well. including some clever instances of in-gameplay and unobvious player choice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
According to IsThereAnyDeal.com, The historical low price of Spec Ops: The Line was Steam on Jan 28th, 2014, for the price of $0.00

We consider this myth

RatHat posted:

But its never been free

BUSTED