Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
all the ocarina dungeons are scary, it's a masterclass in environment design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

the first time i got to adult hyrule and got grabbed by a redead, i shut my n64 off and went back to yoshi's story

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mbt posted:

the first time i got to adult hyrule and got grabbed by a redead, i shut my n64 off and went back to yoshi's story

I read this as got grabbed by a retard. Hope everyone's doing well

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I read this as got grabbed by a retard. Hope everyone's doing well

elf help book posted:

The idea for the game began with the name,[6] which is a pun on "goolies", a British slang term for "testicles".[7] According to designer Gregg Mayles, the name of the game materialised after he overheard someone mention "being grabbed by the goolies", and thought that it would make a suitable name for an upcoming Rare game.[8]

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

I got the tude now posted:

all the ocarina dungeons are scary, it's a masterclass in environment design.

yep. the music is all really spooky too.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
i had to mute the tv as a child to summon enough courage. don't know how link does it...

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBGaV1iL3PY

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

the day i killed the redeads in the ruins of hyrule castle town instead of cowardly running past them is the day i became a man

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOmOzWdHzHU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

god is good

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

the game that scared me the most was Earthbound because a combination of factors led me to believe that giygas was going to destroy me irl.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r59Kt95hUE

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

lmao

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

the game that scared me the most was Earthbound because a combination of factors led me to believe that giygas was going to destroy me irl.

i had a nightmare about giygas and it was cool

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bolverkur posted:

the day i killed the redeads in the ruins of hyrule castle town instead of cowardly running past them is the day i became a man

For you, the day you killed the redeads in Hyrule was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday. Or another day, I don’t remember

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

My friend would lend me his OoT cart whenever he got to a room with redeads in it bc he couldn't handle it. I would get whatever he needed from the room and then save and give it back

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

the redeads didnt scare me for poo poo but i had to get my brother to beat the first hand miniboss in the well. i was brave enough to kill the one in the shadow temple though

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Fungah! posted:

the redeads didnt scare me for poo poo but i had to get my brother to beat the first hand miniboss in the well. i was brave enough to kill the one in the shadow temple though

shadow temple scared the poo poo out of me and it felt like playing a horror game but when i finally braved through it with all the stalfos and illusions and the soundtrack i was scared shitless opening the boss door but behind it was just loving bongo bongo a big monster who loves to play bongos lol

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I wasn't ever scared of redeads except in "just picked up the key, better grit my teeth for phanto" way, but maybe I'm just okdz it looks like I was just barely a teenager when I first played it.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Redeads in the N64 games never scared me but the ones in Windwaker certainly surprised me.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

They never scared me but they’re pretty spooky

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Zelda is a creepy game series, though. lot of people experiencing the italicized end of an old horror short story in the bg like grog in OoT, that guy who gets turned to gold in twilight princess, deku butler's son, flute boy in aLttP, etc

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

I wasn't ever scared of redeads except in "just picked up the key, better grit my teeth for phanto" way, but maybe I'm just okdz it looks like I was just barely a teenager when I first played it.

phanto anxiety is far worse

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
instead of concerning yourself about the adult section of a game from 1998 concern yourself with the adult section of your life in 2021 imo

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

John Romero posted:

instead of concerning yourself about the adult section of a game from 1998 concern yourself with the adult section of your life in 2021 imo

drat. wise wirds from the saad right here

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

Zelda is a creepy game series, though. lot of people experiencing the italicized end of an old horror short story in the bg like grog in OoT, that guy who gets turned to gold in twilight princess, deku butler's son, flute boy in aLttP, etc

The whole series, to varying degrees, has this really distinctive sense of melancholy, too.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

ocarina of time kicks rear end.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fungah! posted:

drat. wise wirds from the saad right here

Lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

John Romero’s about to make you rethink your life choices.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

the hand monsters that drag you out of the dungeon were the ones that scared me

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Tales of Woe posted:

the hand monsters that drag you out of the dungeon were the ones that scared me

I get real phanto anxiety from those especially in original Zelda and aLttP

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Bicyclops posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOdamxZo_F4

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

John Romero’s about to make you rethink your life choices.

Lol

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Bicyclops posted:

I remember as a teenager I was talking about the giygas fight to my friends, hoping somebody else had played it so they'd know and could back me up, but no one had, and I was too embarrassed to say that it was hosed up and scary, so I landed on something like "weirdly abstract and emotionally draining for a kid"
which is kinda true but if I was being honest I would have just admitted it was hosed up and scary

I think the thing that scared me most in OoT was the skulltula house, but once I learned they were just people who needed help, I felt ashamed for finding them scary and I just wanted to help them. games are nice

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Ocarina of Time is so loving good and so is Majoras Mask

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Peach’s Castle has such a lonely, empty vibe. Never played a game that fully replicated that feeling.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

NienNunb posted:

Peach’s Castle has such a lonely, empty vibe. Never played a game that fully replicated that feeling.

The one room in the upper right? area where you enter the giant fish tank stage. Something eerie about it. The garden also

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

something about the n64 era of games definitely feels haunted.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

NienNunb posted:

Ocarina of Time is so loving good and so is Majoras Mask

MM is definitely my all time fave zelda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Heath posted:

The one room in the upper right? area where you enter the giant fish tank stage. Something eerie about it. The garden also

i thought that was a very relaxing room personally