Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

Ryaath posted:

After about 2 hours trying to figure out why my Aluminum factory would overload the refinery feedback loop of water when everything SHOULD be balanced, I realized that I'm pulling Bauxite directly from the freight station, and, standing there watching a train delivery, YUP, output pauses for no reason when a train is unloading... interrupting Bauxite enough that I get too much water in the refinery loop.

Double belt the outputs from the Station to an Industrial Container. The goal being to empty the station as quickly as possible into your new buffer. You can stack as many of these as you feel necessary. Do the same thing on the miner side with the inputs to the station there so you also don't have the loading pause affecting your transport rates on the upstream side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryaath
Apr 8, 2003

Zaepho posted:

Double belt the outputs from the Station to an Industrial Container. The goal being to empty the station as quickly as possible into your new buffer. You can stack as many of these as you feel necessary. Do the same thing on the miner side with the inputs to the station there so you also don't have the loading pause affecting your transport rates on the upstream side.

Did exactly this on the output. Didn't even think about the input though! Thank you kind internet stranger.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ryaath posted:

interrupting Bauxite enough that I get too much water in the refinery loop.

So solving the bauxite output from the train station will help, but too much clean water feeding in from your extractors can be a problem even if everything is running continuously.

Here's a diagram of the simplest aluminum water setup that won't jam, clog, or break from too much water. This is a side-view, so if you have a line of refineries the waste water line is going around the side.

Why this works:
1. The valve on the waste water line means that you have a large section of pipe that fresh water can't intrude into. In operation the waste water line should generally not even fill all the way up, and the scrap refineries will always be able to push water out right away.

2. Note that there isn't a valve on the fresh water supply line. This is on purpose. If your refineries only need 150 m3/m of fresh water, set that by changing the clockspeed of your water extractors. No valve means the waste water supply can fight against the fresh water and win.

3. Important: The jog on the fresh water indicating it's coming from below is there on purpose. If your water extractors are above your factory for some reason, I believe it will be a problem. If so I it might be fixable by using an unpowered pump (which cuts head lift to zero), but I'd have to experiment.

4. The pipes in this setup run a bit inefficiently in terms of flow rate. If you are within 50 of the max flow rate on either the waste or fresh water line, you may need to upgrade to mk2 pipe, or run another line if already using mk2.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Literally the instant I think “Hmm, I should probably increase power capacity and/or add some batteries”, poof, grid power tripped :haw:

My least favourite thing, getting a power grid going again.. drat it!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I haven't yet unlocked Aluminium and poo poo. You can put too much of a thing into the blender?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

I haven't yet unlocked Aluminium and poo poo. You can put too much of a thing into the blender?

Part of the Aluminium production line produces water as a byproduct, and another part also requires water. The system as a whole needs to take in more water than the byproduct produces, so you need to feed it with pumps, but if you pump too much in then the byproduct output will fill up and the system will get clogged and stop producing.

There's a similar loop with sulphuric acid in the nuclear production chain.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I played 46 hours since update 5 went to experimental. drat. I think I might roll it back to early access and use what I have learned to start fresh and play stable and amass cable and ingots.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I really hope they add something to help with sorting the train signals (maybe highlighting the train segments affected by path or block signals) because I keep managing to crap it up occasionally.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
It's been a while since I used trains, can you manage them from anywhere fat controller style, or do you have to physically hunt them down to change settings

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Azhais posted:

It's been a while since I used trains, can you manage them from anywhere fat controller style, or do you have to physically hunt them down to change settings

You gotta jump in them if you want to drive them manually, or you can set their schedule in the train or from a train platform for trains on that rail loop.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Starting to work with trains. I have a station that I can pilot theb train to manually, but when I add it to the schedule it says unable to find route or whatever. Is there a good guide to working with trains? This is on the experimental branch.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

RVT posted:

Starting to work with trains. I have a station that I can pilot theb train to manually, but when I add it to the schedule it says unable to find route or whatever. Is there a good guide to working with trains? This is on the experimental branch.

If you can get there manually it's probably a signals problem. Make sure your train isn't trying to pass through any signals backwards (you can make a two-way signal by putting the signal pole on both sides of the track). If there are no signals, make sure it's the only train on the network.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

If you have one engine on the train, the track needs to be circular (suffices if you put loops at the end of a single track). If it's one open ended track, you need an engine on each end.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Wow new patch added something I never expected in vanilla:

quote:

Implemented a generic world grid alignment for Foundations by holding CTRL when placing them

(Not a thing I care about at all, but nice for the graph paper obsessives.)

Also silica now does 200 stacks.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Klyith posted:

Wow new patch added something I never expected in vanilla:

(Not a thing I care about at all, but nice for the graph paper obsessives.)

Also silica now does 200 stacks.

How will this work for existing maps I wonder? Could it be based off the foundations that the hub is on or something?

That would be cool though I hate not having foundations line up so I always build from a central point out.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

priznat posted:

How will this work for existing maps I wonder? Could it be based off the foundations that the hub is on or something?

That would be cool though I hate not having foundations line up so I always build from a central point out.

I assume it's going to line up with the x/y/z coordinates of the world map. Your existing foundations may or may not be in line with the global grid.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Tenebrais posted:

I assume it's going to line up with the x/y/z coordinates of the world map. Your existing foundations may or may not be in line with the global grid.

Yeah most likely. Wouldn’t really help existing maps that much then. Good for new builds though!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Gonna make kibitz happy, he always forced his stuff to match the grid by using mining machines since they only rotate to grid points. So he'd put one down and run foundations however far from there to his base to keep everything to a grid

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Part of me is tempted to start over to fix my misaligned mass mess of foundations, notably using this new feature, so I don't have to deal with gross clipping

The other part of me thinks the perfect uniform foundation grid is a bit sterile to look at anyway?? idk

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

priznat posted:

Tenebrais posted:

Yes, it's using the world map's x/y coordinates. Only. No z. Vertical height is still totally arbitrary based on the ground level you're pointing at when you put down a new foundation. So you can have walls lined up from across the map, but not floors.

100 engine units is 1 meter, so it just snaps to the nearest coords divisible by 800.

Ciaphas posted:

The other part of me thinks the perfect uniform foundation grid is a bit sterile to look at anyway?? idk

Yep, we have a world full of cool geography and scenery that doesn't line up with a grid. And while I totally get that not everyone cares about integrating a build with the local terrain to look all architectural and aesthetic, I also can't imagine it makes life easier to be locked to a north-south grid when building near a NE-SW cliff. A world grid makes terrain more of a hassle I'd think.

Like, when I'm building rail lines I generally try for straight and level. But when there's stuff in the way I veer in slow arcs by rotating 10-20 degrees, and laying another straight along that line for a while. (Before U5 I was using micromanage to do small rotations.) This seems to me way easier than building a zig-zaggy section of grid foundations to go around.

TBQH I have always been completely mystified by the whole point of a world grid. What purpose does it actually serve, other than satisfying the OCD?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Probably because people have been asking for it since forever, and it's not a huge hassle to add if you already have a coordinate system in the game anyway.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Klyith posted:

TBQH I have always been completely mystified by the whole point of a world grid. What purpose does it actually serve, other than satisfying the OCD?

It is absolutely for satisfying OCD.

It could also help if you're building a new facility too far away from an existing one to just extend it but near enough that they might grow in toward each other anyway, and this would help them align when they meet. Even if you never actually do that it's satisfying to know you could.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

So long the snapping to the world grid is optional (they say you need to hold CTRL after all), why not.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I just unlocked tiers 7 & 8 for the first time last night :woop: planning on trying to put up the shittiest possible alclad setup just so i can get a hoverpack unlocked & built ASAP

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Collateral Damage posted:

Probably because people have been asking for it since forever, and it's not a huge hassle to add if you already have a coordinate system in the game anyway.

Not mystified why the devs added it, mystified why people want it in the first place.

(I'm somewhat surprised by the addition... but mostly because their version is very meh and basic. I didn't expect them to half-rear end it, when in Q&A vids they'd said that they mostly were concerned about UI & usability for the feature. A non-custom grid locked to world coordinates is certainly a solution, but it doesn't need a lot of deep thought on the details. Like, if I did care about a world grid I'd still want to use the mod version.)

Tenebrais posted:

It could also help if you're building a new facility too far away from an existing one to just extend it but near enough that they might grow in toward each other anyway, and this would help them align when they meet. Even if you never actually do that it's satisfying to know you could.

Ah that's a good use. Not a thing I ever think about because I build factories spread way out, but it's also possible to finish the game without ever leaving one area. If the plan is to industrialize the whole North Forest, being able to merge multiple locations would be useful.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I like everything just so, and thus this addition is a big get for me. I already had a primal drive to align foundations to a grid on a global level so before I just used the compass to get as close as possible to true orthogonal.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Hey folks, how are you getting coal down to the starter base on the Rocky Desert start. The coal nodes are super daunting!!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Mayveena posted:

Hey folks, how are you getting coal down to the starter base on the Rocky Desert start. The coal nodes are super daunting!!

If you really need to bring it down, foundations and conveyor lifts, lots of them. It's not going to look pretty.
Use it for power (with the crater lakes for water) and just bring power lines down, or find some other iron nodes closer by for steel production.

There's other coal nodes a bit further away, on the edge between rocky desert and northern forest that are easier to bring around.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I used a tractor for my setup there.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The four nodes north (2x pure and 2x normal)? There's a pure iron node near by. Generate power, generate steel stuff, and send everything plus the surplus coal down (if there is any) via conveyor.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Mayveena posted:

Are you aiming for the coal nodes in the big V-shape bay, or at Crater Lakes?

For either one there's water right there, so the smart thing is to build your power plants over there and string powerline back to your base. And then coal also makes transportation easy by fueling an autopilot tractor. The tractors are pretty fuel-efficient so you can easily get home & back on one fuel load.

In the bay there's a pure iron node, so you could also put your first steel foundries right there and ship steel ingots / items back home. Or send the coal back and do everything at your main base.

Note that the rivers in the rocky desert are actually really good roads for a tractor, they're shallow enough to drive along. Except for some spots like the lake or the twisty canyon area.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Klyith posted:

Are you aiming for the coal nodes in the big V-shape bay, or at Crater Lakes?

For either one there's water right there, so the smart thing is to build your power plants over there and string powerline back to your base. And then coal also makes transportation easy by fueling an autopilot tractor. The tractors are pretty fuel-efficient so you can easily get home & back on one fuel load.

In the bay there's a pure iron node, so you could also put your first steel foundries right there and ship steel ingots / items back home. Or send the coal back and do everything at your main base.

Note that the rivers in the rocky desert are actually really good roads for a tractor, they're shallow enough to drive along. Except for some spots like the lake or the twisty canyon area.

Yeah that makes way more sense than the way I was thinking of it. I'll look for the iron node as well. Thanks everyone!!! I've never used a tractor in game, I'll have to look into them.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Experimental to EA on November 23

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

At the aluminum stage; at this stage though I think I'm going to take what I've learned and start a new file on Experimental, now that we have a release date.

Wish I could blueprint buildings. Got a rather nice looking building making ~20 modular frames/minute I want to copy over :shobon:

(e) i'm having an internal debate about using that one-foundation-grid thing or not, and it is a raucous argument lol

(e again) I'd really miss mods tho. My exosuit and handheld Efficiency Checker :negative:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 12, 2021

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts

Ciaphas posted:

Wish I could blueprint buildings. Got a rather nice looking building making ~20 modular frames/minute I want to copy over :shobon:

Satisfactory-Calculator Map has a blueprint feature for copy/pasting buildings between different saves. I've started over a few times and I like to import my favorite buildings from old saves when I unlock trains on a new save.

To use it you load a game in the save viewer, toggle the types of buildings you want to be included, and select a region to save as a blueprint file. Then load the other save file, and load the blueprint file, and paste it at its original location. (I think there's a feature to take construction materials from your storage.)

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Man, aluminum production would be so much easier if you could just dump overflowing water. Getting that part set up is the worst because you need valves on basically everything, and it has to work perfectly or the whole thing shuts down. Imagine if your smelters shut down if they got too much ore so you had to throttle your miners to make it exact

That said, I can't wait to restart for update 5. The rocky desert spot is my favorite, you run a little north from the spawn to that previously mentioned V-shaped bay and you got everything. you got those coal nodes next to a pure steel node, some concrete and plenty of water in the north, and then you have a ton of resources on the south side of that giant canyon, and some starting oil nodes on the north wall of the canyon. The ground around there is either mostly flat, or completely vertical which makes building easier, you got caterium and crystal close by

Looking at a map, I had no idea how many oil wells there were on the north coast though. That's crazy. I literally made an elevated foundation road to the oil islands for my major oil production, I could have just built platforms over the north coast.

The only thing I don't like about that spot with the 4 coal nodes and 1 pure iron node by the bay is the amount of fog at basically all times.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Setting up the item mall. Figured out a trick where factory carts are almost tolerable to drive on rough terrain if you pulse your acceleration in short bursts. If you get greedy and try to accelerate for more than a second it will almost certainly spin out and you'll end up wasting time.

Pretty basic design at least for now, not everything is hooked up yet but it's easily expandable. Ai splitters on the left, mergers going to the sink on the right. Set every left input to the item you're storing, center as any undefined, right set to overflow and it will all sort itself out.
my friends and i were using a similar setup, but we had to switch to dedicated inputs once the sorter became saturated.

the final (?) design is 15 columns of containers, each centered on a foundation. two industrial storage with a regular in between facing the opposite way so lifts can connect all 3. the smart splitters are about 6m above the containers and the mergers for the overflow are above the splitters, connected to the splitters by lifts. lifts connect the splitters and the containers. the sorting system is up high to leave room for catwalks and a hypertube on top of the containers, running the length of the whole stack to provide easy access to the splitters.

aligned with the lower inputs of the upper industrial storage are alternating smart splitters and mergers providing direct input and overflow to each container from train stations and/or constructors/assemblers/manufacturers.

the whole thing is elevated off the ground floor by 6m so players can walk under it and the bottom storage is accessible via catwalks on both sides. and finally there's a stair tower and hypertube at the input end of the stack.

it's a monster, but we're also starting to run conveyors on a level about halfway up and put train stations on a massive platform just below the top of the containers so they're not all that large anymore.

Roof level with hypertube:

Street level stairs and hypertube:

Bonus pic of the conveyor level:

Street level with conveyors yet to be relocated (I love the new building parts):

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
*rolls ankle* *gains 15lbs* *apologizes to TFLC* *rolls ankle*...

A Moose posted:

Man, aluminum production would be so much easier if you could just dump overflowing water. Getting that part set up is the worst because you need valves on basically everything, and it has to work perfectly or the whole thing shuts down. Imagine if your smelters shut down if they got too much ore so you had to throttle your miners to make it exact

That said, I can't wait to restart for update 5. The rocky desert spot is my favorite, you run a little north from the spawn to that previously mentioned V-shaped bay and you got everything. you got those coal nodes next to a pure steel node, some concrete and plenty of water in the north, and then you have a ton of resources on the south side of that giant canyon, and some starting oil nodes on the north wall of the canyon. The ground around there is either mostly flat, or completely vertical which makes building easier, you got caterium and crystal close by

Looking at a map, I had no idea how many oil wells there were on the north coast though. That's crazy. I literally made an elevated foundation road to the oil islands for my major oil production, I could have just built platforms over the north coast.

The only thing I don't like about that spot with the 4 coal nodes and 1 pure iron node by the bay is the amount of fog at basically all times.

Technically speaking you could package + sink the waste water? That'd be a pretty big pain though and require belting or shipping in some plastic if you're doing on-site processing for the aluminum.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

DarthRoblox posted:

Technically speaking you could package + sink the waste water? That'd be a pretty big pain though and require belting or shipping in some plastic if you're doing on-site processing for the aluminum.

You know what, I never thought of that. Seems like roughly the same amount of effort to just doing it normally though, even if you're using the bauxite deposit on the arch by the oil islands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

DarthRoblox posted:

You can, but that requires the use of oil to make the empty containers and there are generally easier ways to get rid of it. My favorite is to grab the nearest limestone node, make a bunch of refineries set to the wet concrete alt recipe, then sink the resulting concrete. Pure ingots for basically any other resource also works but I think concrete gets rid of the water with the least number of refineries.