Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Dr. VooDoo posted:

During his testimony the defense had Rittenhouse put on a fake display of crying and being a reluctant killer. His actions he photographed while violating his bail release terms (that this same judge hand waived away as it was happening in real time and the photos were being posted) shows otherwise. The judge won’t allow it to be admitted
right? on stage he's all 'i'mma innocent baby boy-oy-oy-oyyy!!" but the second he gets off it's all "violence now!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Does Kyle still have the AR-15?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Thom12255 posted:

Why would anyone deprave him of his second amendment rights?

I have no idea, I want to say it's no longer in his possession, but... well... *gestures at the entire clusterfuck around the little murderers trial*

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

If it’s anything like the Zimmerman trial he’ll get it back after he walks and it’ll become a holy relic to right wingers and be placed up for bid for tens of thousands of dollars

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
Pretty sure him still having an ar-15 is one of the least problematic and upsetting things that is coming out of this trial

Kale
May 14, 2010

Thom12255 posted:

https://twitter.com/justinbaragona/status/1458517562107564036

Judge really gives off the look of someone who'd like Kyle.

You really just can't make this poo poo up.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1458536994833850369

I was hoping he would hold off on signing it so that BBB could get signed along with it but lol. The CTC would've been really helpful next year.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
His AR-15 would be a great use case for civil asset forfeiture laws.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Thom12255 posted:

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1458536994833850369

I was hoping he would hold off on signing it so that BBB could get signed along with it but lol. The CTC would've been really helpful next year.

He can't--if Congress is in session and he doesn't sign a bill within 10 days (or veto it) it becomes law anyway.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Judge agrees with the defense for Rittenhouse that using pinch and zoom on an iPad showing the video the defense submitted isn’t fair because it alters the image to make it more clear :laffo: literally “you can’t do that because it makes their evidence say something different than they’re claiming it does!”

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Judge agrees with the defense for Rittenhouse that using pinch and zoom on an iPad showing the video the defense submitted isn’t fair because it alters the image to make it more clear :laffo: literally “you can’t do that because it makes their evidence say something different than they’re claiming it does!”

you are loving kidding

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

alf_pogs posted:

you are loving kidding

He said it changes the pixels.

Sir John Falstaff posted:

He can't--if Congress is in session and he doesn't sign a bill within 10 days (or veto it) it becomes law anyway.

I forgot about that, guess he has held it off for as long as he can.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Thom12255 posted:

Stuff like this always makes me wonder if these people are aware that their field is complete bullshit.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Is there a way to declare a mistrial based on judge misconduct? Or some other recourse when it's this blatant in favor of one side?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

VitalSigns posted:

It's cool how you can just say whatever you want about murder victims in court and this isn't prejudicial because you already killed them so their constitutional rights can't be violated more

I've said it before and I'll say it again: The American legal system is profoundly hosed up in many ways and this is one of them.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Youth Decay posted:

Is there a way to declare a mistrial based on judge misconduct? Or some other recourse when it's this blatant in favor of one side?

So... best we can realistically hope for at this point is a hung jury, right?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
They're showing the video un-zoomed now.

Edit:

Kyle: "I can't see it."

lol.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Thom12255 posted:

Ehh, the prosecution and the defense are disagreeing over whether pinch-to-zoom is upscaling or upsampling, the latter of which is a modification of the underlying image. Personally, I think the defense is just playing dumb to muddy the waters, but the prosecution isn't going to have difficulty finding an expert ready to testify to the fact that pinch-to-zoom just makes the pixels larger.

e: Oh jesus, they just went ahead with this? loving lol. And please, somebody hook this prosecutor up with a copy of VLC player.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Nov 10, 2021

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Randalor posted:

So... best we can realistically hope for at this point is a hung jury, right?

I think the prosecution can request to dismiss charges without prejudice and try again later but I don't see this particular higher letting that fly.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Baronash posted:

Ehh, the prosecution and the defense are disagreeing over whether pinch-to-zoom is upscaling or upsampling, the latter of which is a modification of the underlying image. Personally, I think the defense is just playing dumb to muddy the waters, but the prosecution isn't going to have difficulty finding an expert ready to testify to the fact that pinch-to-zoom just makes the pixels larger.

e: Oh jesus, they just went ahead with this? loving lol. And please, somebody hook this prosecutor up with a copy of VLC player.

Kind of a dumb distinction, because unless they have a display that has the video's native resolution, playing anything in fullscreen is always upscaling the video!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Baronash posted:

The prosecutor was bringing up statements of Rittenhouse's that the judge had refused to allow heard by the jury without prior notice. The prosecutor was being an rear end in a top hat and knowingly risking a mistrial.

Baronash posted:

That's probably the right call :confused:

Baronash posted:

You sure do have an obvious side here despite the overwhelming evidence of the judge being full of poo poo and clearly biased.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Bottom Liner posted:

You sure do have an obvious side here despite the overwhelming evidence of the judge being full of poo poo and clearly biased.

The prosecutor also sucks, doesn't make Rittenhouse any less guilty but does make it easier for the judge/defense (who are essentially the same at this point) to muddy the waters.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Fame Douglas posted:

Kind of a dumb distinction, because unless they have a display that has the video's native resolution, playing anything in fullscreen is always upscaling the video!
Oh yeah, the fact that the judge is giving thought to this is :wtc: level BS. I would think that something as basic as "how does video evidence work" would have been the subject of some mandatory judicial education, but here we are.

Bottom Liner posted:

Nah, I'm discussing current events for fun on an debate and discussion forum. Kyle Rittenhouse should go to prison, probably won't, and there is literally nothing that could be said on this dead comedy forum that would in any way influence the outcome, so I'm gonna keep having fun discussing trial procedure (and this poo poo prosecutor, oh my god).

Baronash fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Nov 10, 2021

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Dr. VooDoo posted:

This is literally a joke from Liar, Liar. Only this time it works.

Defense: Objection! it would be devastating to my case!

Judge: Sustained!

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I watched the NYT video and honestly it's just kinda, yeah, this stuff happens pretty much everywhere in the US, same thing happens in affluent areas in red states. It doesn't really matter. Local control is enshrined in the way we govern and no poo poo people use it for lovely things. That's the US constitution.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

These are only state charges right? The Feds can charge him as well correct?

Jesus poo poo this judge should be removed from the bench for obstruction of Justice

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Nov 10, 2021

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

They need to stop using Celsius, no one in America who doesn't have a science degree knows from Celsius and they just go 'oh, 3-4 degree increase isn't bad, more warm summers for me!' because we all think in Fahrenheit.

STOP USING CELSIUS YOU loving EGGHEADS NOONE GETS IT BUT YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Is this IPAD the same screen the police detective originally viewed it on or verified to be the same? This is bonkers.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

TulliusCicero posted:

These are only state charges right? The Feds can charge him as well correct?

Jesus poo poo this judge should be removed from the bench for obstruction of Justice
ALL judges are like this we just rarely see it.
i think it was a brittany spears trial (?) where everyone thought the judge was being big and bombastic because of the attention and so many lawyers came out to say "no, judges are just like that"
almost like a job with unchecked power and no consequences attracts the wrong sort of people...

Tactless Ogre
Oct 31, 2011

Oracle posted:

They need to stop using Celsius, no one in America who doesn't have a science degree knows from Celsius and they just go 'oh, 3-4 degree increase isn't bad, more warm summers for me!' because we all think in Fahrenheit.

STOP USING CELSIUS YOU loving EGGHEADS NOONE GETS IT BUT YOU

Seriously.; yeah. Selling it in Celsius doesn't get through to those boneheads until you mention (Cx9/5)+32.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Panzeh posted:

I watched the NYT video and honestly it's just kinda, yeah, this stuff happens pretty much everywhere in the US, same thing happens in affluent areas in red states. It doesn't really matter. Local control is enshrined in the way we govern and no poo poo people use it for lovely things. That's the US constitution.

"It is what it is" doesn't seem like a reasonable response even if this is not a surprise for you personally. Additionally, the messaging from Dems is explicitly to solve these problems, that it happens in red states isn't as relevant because "gently caress the poor" is their platform, there is no dichotomy, they are in fact, living their horrible values when they vote down housing and school funding.

It's not a massive revelation to me either but maybe we can do more than shrug and go back to brunch. I'm sure you have more nuanced thoughts on the topic and it would be cool if you posted them.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
I highly recommend everyone (who wants to and can stand it) watch the videos of the shootings (and of rittenhouse stuff before + during the protest) rather than the media walk-throughs or trial summaries.

Warning, contains violence. Video chops together several individual videos/angles. I set it to start about a minute or so befpre the first shooting, when Rittenhouse runs across the screen, fleeing from Rosenbaum:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ferrn7Shyk#t=6513s

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Thom12255 posted:

That thing is going to sell for $1 Million at auction, and the Chud who buys it will name it something dumb like "LibTears".

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Cranappleberry posted:

I highly recommend everyone (who wants to and can stand it) watch the videos of the shootings (and of rittenhouse stuff before + during the protest) rather than the media walk-throughs or trial summaries.

Warning, contains violence. Video chops together several individual videos/angles. I set it to start about a minute or so befpre the first shooting, when Rittenhouse runs across the screen, fleeing from Rosenbaum:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ferrn7Shyk#t=6513s
go on. how is the media manipulating this?

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

InsertPotPun posted:

go on. how is the media manipulating this?

It's more that the media gives an incomplete account. Much of the video, images amd explanation given by major media orgs or individual pundits lacks full context. The prosecution at also leaves out a lot (partially due to the judge not allowing things).

Also a good idea to read Wisconsin law on self-defense and it's limitations.

I believe that Rittenhouse is morally, factually and legally guilty but will be acquitted because of poor prosecution and the judge.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I think it's wild that the Rittenhouse trial is getting so much more coverage than the Ahmaud Arbery trial.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Mellow Seas posted:

Yeah, "oh we pay fine" doesn't really cut it when you're talking about a job that requires specialized training, specialized licensure and a willingness to spend weeks at a time away from your family. That poo poo has to pay really well.

I wonder if the uptick in marijuana use in the US (although it's not gigantic) is reducing the pool of CDL-eligible workers. This graph shows "use within the last 30 days" (which is a pretty good approximation of "people who won't pass a drug test") going up from about 6% to about 10% between 2008 and 2017 - it's probably continued to increase since then:

According to industry data, 43% of adults 21+ in America (including states where it is fully illegal) have used Cannabis in the last 6 months.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
Love how all these bad-rear end "MOLON LABE" types turn into crying weaklings who absolutely can not stop talking about what a big, useless, cowardly jelly donut the are they moment they are on the stand.

Remember when George Zimmerman said he had no idea how to handle a child half his weight with his MMA practice? Oh no your honor I'm just a big donut who can't defend himself at all, boo hoo, also LIONS NOT SHEEP 3% MOLON LABE AMERICAN BADASS.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Everybody is an Alpha male until they become Beta males on the stand. Also I cringed making this joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
I mean I don't know how you get to be an adult without realizing that anyone who talks about how much of a badass they are is a coward and a pushover who's driven by fear and insecurity.

If you're actually dangerous you don't talk about it unless it's your job, like a prizefighter.