Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Blinkz0rz posted:

it's sincerely surprising to me that folks itt think that anything can be built, released, marketed, and sold without being involved in meetings

like, do you just want to be ticket jockeys and have no say in the work you do?

The big meetings devolve into vision bullshit and circular conjecturing and speculation, especially as more management and director types are pulled in. May just be that every org I’ve been in has been dysfunctional but big meetings have seemed to serve more as pageantry and signaling ones importance rather than for decision making and deep work necessary to make complex things. For my projects to succeed, I need to organize the pieces I’m responsible for more directly with the people that matter and most of that has been through long form living doc collaboration and a series of separate 1:1s with people that get into the weeds. Bigger meetings near kick-off and release/increments can give the less useful types a feeling of skin in the game and good will towards the project but that’s as much as needed, more involvement beyond that yields diminishing returns and usually becomes actively harmful to the success of a hard thing being accomplished. I’ll eat the status meetings between the two and make sure engineers on my projects are protected and have open calendars that are clear. And if a meeting doesn’t have a clear agenda with a decision that needs to be made, I unilaterally cancel it or remove as many people from it as I can

biceps crimes fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Oct 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

prom candy posted:

I would rather do a full days worth of coding (5 hours) than attend a one hour meeting.

Your manager likely feels the same if they came up from a development background.

gay_crimes posted:

And if a meeting doesn’t have a clear agenda with a decision that needs to be made, I unilaterally cancel it or remove as many people from it as I can

This is the thing to do if you can do it.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

ultrafilter posted:

Some meetings are necessary, but they don't have to be as plentiful or as badly run as most meetings are.

This is extremely true and ultimately this

gay_crimes posted:

And if a meeting doesn’t have a clear agenda with a decision that needs to be made, I unilaterally cancel it or remove as many people from it as I can

Is the right approach to dealing with it. If you don't have ownership of the meeting, you should feel empowered to decline something if the invite list is too large and there's no clear direction.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I don't mind meetings if what's being discussed is relevant to everyone in the meeting. If you have an hour long meeting where 15 minutes are relevant to one group of people, 15 minutes are relevant to another group of people, 15 minutes are relevant to another group of people, and 15 minutes are relevant to another group of people, oops, that's actually four different meetings and should be scheduled as such.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

prom candy posted:

I would rather do a full days worth of coding (5 hours) than attend a one hour meeting.

*2 hours

and it depends on the meeting vs the current thing i'm working on. i will happily sit quietly in a meeting to have a break from trying to resize an annoying div it whatever

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

we have a weekly status meeting with government customers but there was a tendency for a few of us to get offtrack with long technical discussions with the government architecture guys, so we set up a separate design meeting with just the few of us to chat about technical stuff as needed. over time all of the original people except me left while all the other people from the status meeting all started coming for some reason. none of these other people either understand the platform well enough or care to get into any sort of technical discussion. so now we just have a meeting where every week a dozen people dial in to verify that there is nothing on the agenda except maybe asking for updates on items from the status meeting two days ago. i have not spoken a single word in this meeting in probably six months. none of the people running or participating in this meeting were here when it was started so none of them even know why it exists. we're just gonna keep doing it until the end of time for no reason other than there being a recurring item on the calendar

Fellatio del Toro fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Oct 29, 2021

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Blinkz0rz posted:

it's sincerely surprising to me that folks itt think that anything can be built, released, marketed, and sold without being involved in meetings

like, do you just want to be ticket jockeys and have no say in the work you do?

I think every team needs a ticket jockey or 2 just to crank through things. It's just that you also need a couple of folk who are interested in what you're doing and why you're doing it as well. Otherwise you just crank out what product want and product are dipshits.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Fellatio del Toro posted:

over time all of the original people except me left while all the other people from the status meeting all started coming for some reason.

I think there's a whole other type of person that tries to get into as many meetings as they can because they either don't want to do their actual work, or they don't have any actual work.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

we have a weekly status meeting with government customers but there was a tendency for a few of us to get offtrack with long technical discussions with the government architecture guys, so we set up a separate design meeting with just the few of us to chat about technical stuff as needed. over time all of the original people except me left while all the other people from the status meeting all started coming for some reason. none of these other people either understand the platform well enough or care to get into any sort of technical discussion. so now we just have a meeting where every week a dozen people dial in to verify that there is nothing on the agenda except maybe asking for updates on items from the status meeting two days ago. i have not spoken a single word in this meeting in probably six months. none of the people running or participating in this meeting were here when it was started so none of them even know why it exists. we're just gonna keep doing it until the end of time for no reason other than there being a recurring item on the calendar

If you're the one who created it, you could probably just cancel it? Or stop showing up?

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
Comedy option, every week schedule the meeting one minute shorter...

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Your meeting is a calendar block for all the people who started coming.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

In a healthy team, improving the quality of some meetings makes other meetings unnecessary and therefore subject to elimination.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
This is the greatest thing and I will accept no disagreement.

https://twitter.com/gregisenberg/status/1456588823287275528

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Am I being pranked?

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

lifg posted:

IDGI, it looks to be every bit as stupid and incoherent as anything other pro-NFT thing I've ever read, not seeing what's special about this one in particular?

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

lifg posted:

This is the dumbest thing I've read since trump got banned on Twitter

marumaru
May 20, 2013

lifg posted:

if this poo poo becomes commonplace it might be the last push i need to go live off the grid, gently caress me

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Doing take home coding assignments for a specific job: bad

Doing hours of ~= quests =~ in order to improve my social coding score so I can think about applying for a job: lit

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

prom candy posted:

Doing take home coding assignments for a specific job: bad

Doing hours of ~= quests =~ in order to improve my social coding score so I can think about applying for a job: lit

pfft

https://mobile.twitter.com/kerckhove_ts/status/1455157451192422406

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

brand engager posted:

Am I being pranked?
I also was 50/50 on whether or not this was a troll post until this Ken M.-grade reply

https://twitter.com/gregisenberg/status/1456590282124840963

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

What's a good, collaborative, web-based JS editor? Just something simple I can use to help coach a friend through data structures/algos. I'd like it to be able to actually run the code so we can do some asserts and such as well. I've been using Codeshare, which is good, except it can't actually run code.

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

Harriet Carker posted:

What's a good, collaborative, web-based JS editor? Just something simple I can use to help coach a friend through data structures/algos. I'd like it to be able to actually run the code so we can do some asserts and such as well. I've been using Codeshare, which is good, except it can't actually run code.

It's not necessarily web-based, but VS Code can use Live Share.

You could also run VS Code inside GitPod and share the workspace. I think GitPod requires a GitHub or GitLab repo based on a quickstart template so it would be pretty easy to setup. I'm pretty impressed with GitPod.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

one of the best coders I worked with was a huge factorio junkie...

prom candy fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Nov 6, 2021

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

prom candy posted:

one of the best coders I worked with was a huge factorio junkie...

Factorio, the SRE simulator? The game where you can play Sandstorm on a number of light entities with enough commitment to write some kind of transpiler to do it? That Factorio?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Wait I quoted the wrong post

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Vulture Culture posted:

I also was 50/50 on whether or not this was a troll post until this Ken M.-grade reply

you really overestimate cryptobros

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

marumaru posted:

you really overestimate cryptobros
When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a thumb.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

CompNFTIA

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Vulture Culture posted:

What if I put on the chain that Greg Isenberg is a big idiot who should never be listened to? Hypothetically.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
What do you think the blockchain smells like haha do you think it gets embarrassed when it poos out a new block

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Doom Mathematic posted:

What if I put on the chain that Greg Isenberg is a big idiot who should never be listened to? Hypothetically.

His smart contract will forever be tainted with such a note until consensus is broken, and he and his 7 friends who's twitters are just blockchain word salad might care.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Doom Mathematic posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ2msARQsKU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Vulture Culture posted:

When all you have is a gun, everything looks like a foot.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
So does anyone actually use Monday.com?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

lifg posted:

So does anyone actually use Monday.com?

The only people I know who say they have are non-technical types, if that anecdote adds anything.

Unfortunately I still get Jira.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
This guy is just a factory of really stupid poo poo:

https://twitter.com/gregisenberg/status/1458061300374949888

Ah yes, the legendary MVP without any P at all.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Well yeah, look at the Twitter bio:

Web3 is an immediate red flag imo

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

This guy is just a factory of really stupid poo poo:

https://twitter.com/gregisenberg/status/1458061300374949888

Ah yes, the legendary MVP without any P at all.

This pretty much worked for Star Citizen.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
The fact that you really can make money doing this kind of thing is proof that capitalism is a failed ideology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Protocol7 posted:

Well yeah, look at the Twitter bio:

Web3 is an immediate red flag imo

I had to Google what this was, and now I’m dumber because my brain instinctively killed the cells that absorbed the information. For gently caress’s sake.