Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

If Owls weren't real they would definitely be cryprtids.

Look at those little freaks, they're more ghost than bird! I love them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhj_4Lv-AEY
:gonk:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 200 days!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

If Owls weren't real they would definitely be cryprtids.

Look at those little freaks, they're more ghost than bird! I love them.

An owl shows up on the power wires from the driveway to my place to the house once in awhile. An owl also once landed in my mother's yard and let my son walk up and pet it. My mom took me to bird sanctuaries as a kid to see the eagles and such being cared for though, so that may have been a matter of experienced supervision.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Mothman is too commercial these days, my new favorite cryptid that is probably an owl is the Flatwoods Monster.

I've seen this thing recently, there are people going "These people are mentally Ill, you shouldn't be mocking them for their beliefs or what they're screaming at the top of their lungs in public" , which sounds like concern trolling. Like someone goes on a unhinged rant on the subway about how Jews are trying to make everyone gay by vaccines and people are rushing to defend the person because clearly they're mentally ill and therefor should be allowed to spew whatever bullshit they want. Sounds like either people have the decorm brain worms, or the :tinfoil: crowd is trying to use being more sensitive to mental issues as a shield to continue to harass people in public.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I'm actually trying to remember which old book I borrowed from the library that talked about Gef, but the only thing I'm finding is "Out of this World: Mysteries of Mind, Space, and Time" (1989) and I'm not entirely sure that's the one I'm thinking of.

Here's a scan from the relevant pages in the Mysteries Of The Unknown books where I'm pretty sure I first read about it, it was in both the original Ghosts books and the later collected omnibus edition

I remember thinking that the illustrations of the claws coming out of the ceiling was particularly creepy

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 07:41 on Nov 10, 2021

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Here's a scan from the relevant pages in the Mysteries Of The Unknown books where I'm pretty sure I first read about it, it was in both the original Ghosts books and the later collected omnibus edition

I remember thinking that the illustrations of the claws coming out of the ceiling was particularly creepy

These books were amazing and I borrowed them from my elementry school library as much as I could. Monster Talk has an interview with the guy who wrote/edited the ghost one and its pretty intresting how much fun they had making it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Tetrapod Zoology blog takes a deep dive into the very hairy mystery of Bigfoot’s Genitals: What Do We Know?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Hodgepodge posted:

mothman is borne of the intersection of car travel at night with headlights, the human mind, and barn owls being creepy af. it needs no base "dna."

e: as scientific understanding of avian intelligence increases, it becomes clear that the gap in intelligence between these and ourselves may be much, much smaller than previously believed. Primate levels of neurons in the forebrain, with in some respects a higher efficiency than our own (okay in crows but still):

Worth noting that owls specifically are dumb as rocks, mind

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Barry Foster posted:

I've heard this from falconers on a few occasions. Raptors apparently are generally pretty smart but owls are notoriously dim.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

small ghost posted:

I've heard this from falconers on a few occasions. Raptors apparently are generally pretty smart but owls are notoriously dim.

Can’t blame them for that. They are nocturnal.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

The_Doctor posted:

Oh yeah, I’ve driven a lot across the States, and outside of the cities, when night falls, it gets dark. It’s incredibly easy to believe things are watching you pass by. There’s just so much of it too. Even in smaller cities and towns, there’s dark parts. Creatures on the periphery is some ‘stay close to the campfire’ cavemen vine.

This photo reminds me of this video

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

small ghost posted:

I've heard that the relative dimness of raptors, owls etc is because they use a huge amount of their brain's processing power on spatial awareness. So they can fly through gaps 1 millimeter wider than their body, but they are confused by a rock.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Barry Foster posted:

Oh they absolutely are, their eyes take up the majority of their headspace leaving very little room for a brain. I'm not joking, that's the actual reason they're so stupid. Evolution had to choose between night vision and the ability to form complex thoughts and went all in on night vision. Which, to be fair, has worked out pretty well for owls.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The Mothman plush kickstarter I'm backing (located here if you're interested: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/windywoods/campfire-creatures-mothman-cryptid-plush-and-pins/description) just revealed this as one of the stretch goals:

It feels like I just yesterday learned about Notdeer from this thread, I'm weirdly excited to see them become well known enough to get made into an enamel pin. I hope their popularity continues to grow because they really are a fantastic concept for a spooky critter off in the woods.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

The Mothman plush kickstarter I'm backing (located here if you're interested: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/windywoods/campfire-creatures-mothman-cryptid-plush-and-pins/description) just revealed this as one of the stretch goals:

It feels like I just yesterday learned about Notdeer from this thread, I'm weirdly excited to see them become well known enough to get made into an enamel pin. I hope their popularity continues to grow because they really are a fantastic concept for a spooky critter off in the woods.

thank you, i am intending to expand my collection of Mothmen.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Marcade posted:

This photo reminds me of this video
I was thinking of the gnome video, which remains one of the most confusing reactions to a cryptid I've seen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBCd3w3192Y

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
this is killing me because its reminding me i didn't got to back the kickstarter for mothman bag that i think was posted in here earlier
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/studioeggface/mothman-crossbody-mini-backpack-ita-bag

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

Oh yeah, I’ve driven a lot across the States, and outside of the cities, when night falls, it gets dark. It’s incredibly easy to believe things are watching you pass by. There’s just so much of it too. Even in smaller cities and towns, there’s dark parts. Creatures on the periphery is some ‘stay close to the campfire’ cavemen vine.

the tension in the horror movie The Monster is based almost entirely around this idea and it gets quite some mileage out of it

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Snooze Cruise posted:

this is killing me because its reminding me i didn't got to back the kickstarter for mothman bag that i think was posted in here earlier
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/studioeggface/mothman-crossbody-mini-backpack-ita-bag

Oh poo poo I posted that one too!

If it makes you feel any better the project did well enough that they're considering just selling the bags on the reg once the kickstarter ones get sent out, I'll post a link to where you can buy them if that ends up happening.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Oh poo poo I posted that one too!

If it makes you feel any better the project did well enough that they're considering just selling the bags on the reg once the kickstarter ones get sent out, I'll post a link to where you can buy them if that ends up happening.

:pray: god bless you

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

Thanks for turning me onto In Reasearch Of..., that is totally my jam. I just listened to the first one, but holy poo poo, the casual racism of ancient aliens is on point, also how did Rod Sterling not know how to pronouce Zimbabwe?

To be fair the country wasn't officially known as Zimbabwe until a few years after the show was made. At the time Sterling was trying to pronounce it the name was used only to refer to archaeological site of Great Zimbabwe and as part of the names of anti-apartheid rebel groups. If he knew the country at all, even if he did his research, he probably would have referred to it as Rhodesia. Incidentally, the connection of Great Zimbabwe to aliens (or other outsiders, it's also been claimed at various times to have been built by Portuguese, Hebrew, and Arab builders as opposed to the local people who actually built it) was intentionally encouraged by the colonial and apartheid authorities in the region as a way to imply that the local people were simply too primitive to govern themselves and that this ancient evidence of complex civilization was irrelevant to local societies. There's also the issue that Great Zimbabwe isn't the only ruined stone city in southern Africa, far from it, there were several more cities that clearly shared a culture with Great Zimbabwe both within the modern borders of Zimbabwe and in nearby Mozambique and South Africa. Great Zimbabwe is the only one most people from outside the region know of, which helps to feed the "mystery," after all, it would be much stranger for there to be one isolated monumental stone city far from any other stone architecture than for there to be tens or hundreds of similar sites that were clearly built by the same culture and had documented trade ties with the rest of the world via the Indian Ocean coast. The Rhodesian government officially denied that the builders of Great Zimbabwe were Black and heavily censored any publications, museums, or archaeologists who went against that official line. So basically a documentary released in 1973 claiming that aliens were responsible for the site was, whether intentionally or not, pushing apartheid propaganda.

stereobreadsticks has a new favorite as of 04:28 on Nov 11, 2021

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!
lowtax was disappeared by the same people who bought 4chan and disappeared moot (Mafia/intelligence cutout orgs)

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

sounds me to me like something someone who's son WAS being weird would say

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

alf_pogs posted:

sounds me to me like something someone who's son WAS being weird would say

Yeah
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CEzMp6uujw

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

The_Doctor posted:

Ironically the lights almost make it worse, by intermittently blinding you (especially if it's car headlights) and drowning out natural moon and starlight. Natural light can be surprisingly bright, if the moon is in a larger phase.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Someone made some cool cryptid pictures by editing whales breaching during a whale watch but I got banned from twitter so I can't check my bookmarks rip. Anyone happen to see those?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

stereobreadsticks posted:

To be fair the country wasn't officially known as Zimbabwe until a few years after the show was made. At the time Sterling was trying to pronounce it the name was used only to refer to archaeological site of Great Zimbabwe and as part of the names of anti-apartheid rebel groups. If he knew the country at all, even if he did his research, he probably would have referred to it as Rhodesia. Incidentally, the connection of Great Zimbabwe to aliens (or other outsiders, it's also been claimed at various times to have been built by Portuguese, Hebrew, and Arab builders as opposed to the local people who actually built it) was intentionally encouraged by the colonial and apartheid authorities in the region as a way to imply that the local people were simply too primitive to govern themselves and that this ancient evidence of complex civilization was irrelevant to local societies. There's also the issue that Great Zimbabwe isn't the only ruined stone city in southern Africa, far from it, there were several more cities that clearly shared a culture with Great Zimbabwe both within the modern borders of Zimbabwe and in nearby Mozambique and South Africa. Great Zimbabwe is the only one most people from outside the region know of, which helps to feed the "mystery," after all, it would be much stranger for there to be one isolated monumental stone city far from any other stone architecture than for there to be tens or hundreds of similar sites that were clearly built by the same culture and had documented trade ties with the rest of the world via the Indian Ocean coast. The Rhodesian government officially denied that the builders of Great Zimbabwe were Black and heavily censored any publications, museums, or archaeologists who went against that official line. So basically a documentary released in 1973 claiming that aliens were responsible for the site was, whether intentionally or not, pushing apartheid propaganda.

Oh! I thought Rhodesia became Zimbabwe in the 60s, not the 70s. I must be thinking of another African nation.

And yea, the poo poo about "how could people who live in mud huts build something like this!" is hella racist and also wildly ignorant of history. It's like the white settlers coming across this perfect farmland in the US and thinking God left it for them, when in reality it was from the First Nations people who had lived there before they died off from whatever horrible fate were visited to them by Europeans, either intentionally or unintentionally. The thing is, and they mention this in the pod, is that academics knew that stuff, but because this was academia, they didn't give a poo poo if regular people didn't know, so there was no pushback except from Sagan and a few other people that felt that science and history should be hidden away from the plebeians.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

nonathlon posted:

Gef is such a weird story that looms so large in the the Fortean canon, then you find out that it was only seen a few times, in unconvincing circumstances, that it's so obviously a prank ... and yet investigators are still reporting on it.

Gef kind of reminds me of the Bell Witch story, this being that attaches itself to a particular family (and in the Bell Witch's case, causes all manner of supposed havoc), and seems especially interested in one member of said family. And there always seems to be a young daughter who's the focus of the being's attention...

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

Oh! I thought Rhodesia became Zimbabwe in the 60s, not the 70s. I must be thinking of another African nation.

And yea, the poo poo about "how could people who live in mud huts build something like this!" is hella racist and also wildly ignorant of history. It's like the white settlers coming across this perfect farmland in the US and thinking God left it for them, when in reality it was from the First Nations people who had lived there before they died off from whatever horrible fate were visited to them by Europeans, either intentionally or unintentionally. The thing is, and they mention this in the pod, is that academics knew that stuff, but because this was academia, they didn't give a poo poo if regular people didn't know, so there was no pushback except from Sagan and a few other people that felt that science and history should be hidden away from the plebeians.

Yeah, all of this is very similar to the US manifest destiny ideas that God had prepared the country for white settlers, but it has an even more direct comparison to an American phenomenon, the attribution of the mound building sites such as Cahokia in Illinois, Serpent Mound in Ohio, etc. to just about anyone but Native Americans including but not limited to aliens, Irish, Welsh, Phoenicians, and Egyptians. You also see a version of this tendency in the Ancestral Puebloan sites of Arizona, New Mexico, Utah, and Colorado where you have places that still carry names like Aztec Ruins and Montezuma's Castle despite the fact that they're thousands of miles from Mesoamerica and have no stylistic similarities to actual Aztec sites. But acknowledging the reality of these places would mean acknowledging their continuity with the indigenous people who still live there, something the authorities of settler colonialist societies are always resistant to.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Yeah, all of this is very similar to the US manifest destiny ideas that God had prepared the country for white settlers, but it has an even more direct comparison to an American phenomenon, the attribution of the mound building sites such as Cahokia in Illinois, Serpent Mound in Ohio, etc. to just about anyone but Native Americans including but not limited to aliens, Irish, Welsh, Phoenicians, and Egyptians. You also see a version of this tendency in the Ancestral Puebloan sites of Arizona, New Mexico, Utah, and Colorado where you have places that still carry names like Aztec Ruins and Montezuma's Castle despite the fact that they're thousands of miles from Mesoamerica and have no stylistic similarities to actual Aztec sites. But acknowledging the reality of these places would mean acknowledging their continuity with the indigenous people who still live there, something the authorities of settler colonialist societies are always resistant to.

Oh yea, I literally just finished the episode about Mystery Hill and all that stuff came up. Anything to give credit to First Nations people. North America was literally nothing but people living in tends running around the woods without pants, super in touch with nature and all that, but nothing sophisticated! Putting stones in a shape you can live in? Preposterous!

Also the extremely cool thing I never thought of, is that early settlers in North America would build their traditional style buildings when they arrived, and as people left those early sites for what ever reason, the forest reclaimed it. People forget how quickly nature can take over a site, and a century of reclamation by the forest would make something from the 17th or 18th century look like ancient ruins.

twistedmentat has a new favorite as of 04:22 on Nov 12, 2021

jadarx
May 25, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

I live in a tiny subdivision at the edge of town. My house is right next to a corn field and we don't have any streetlights. So while its not country-dark, it still gets dark. And due to the cornfield, I often see wildlife on my property.

So one night I go out to get the mail. It was foggy so I couldn't see far. Then these shapes started to come out of the fog. At first I thought they were deer but the way they leapt and twisted it got super eerie. Like cursed spirits...

Except it was just the neighbor's big white dogs going out for a walk.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

But acknowledging the reality of these places would mean acknowledging their continuity with the indigenous people who still live there, something the authorities of settler colonialist societies are always resistant to.

We get that here in Australia as well. An early anthropologist found some indigenous rock art in Kimberley region of Western Australia which he felt didn't match the rock art in the rest of the country and was somewhat more elaborate so his conclusion was that it was "too fine to be Aboriginal and must be the work of earlier people", which subsequent anthropologists disagreed with. This suddenly got blown all out of proportion a few years ago when there was a push to rewrite the Australian constitution to recognise Indigenous peoples as "the first Australians" and racists started arguing "Maybe they weren't the first??? Look at this evidence!!! If there's any doubt then we shouldn't change the constitution!"
https://theconversation.com/factcheck-might-there-have-been-people-in-australia-prior-to-aboriginal-people-43911

Racists are super invested in arguing "Hey maybe the people we stole this land from also stole it from someone else in the first place?" because apparently that means we don't have to do reparations, I guess

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I've seen people use the argument that like we don't complain the Franks stole France from the Gauls, so why should be care if Native people lost their land, they lost, get over it. There's something massively different between people who are roughly the same level of development and a Modern Industrial Power just taking the land and forcing the people living there to assimilate or die, or assimilate and die in a lot of cases.

Racists will use anything to justify their racism, and trying to pretend that only White People (Or as they like to Western People) are the only ones who ever did anything important is like a big racist tick buried deep on your arm. Claiming something ancient and maybe not well understood is an easy way for them to deligitimize non white people.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I've read some old British books where they claim that the Irish are actually Phoenicians and/or Scythians that swept in from the Orient and massacred the native Britons and took over.

Additionally the Irish are obviously moon worshipping pagans in addition to being heretical papists and the fact that many of them were pastoralists meant that they weren't really using the land properly anyway.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

twistedmentat posted:

I've seen people use the argument that like we don't complain the Franks stole France from the Gauls, so why should be care if Native people lost their land, they lost, get over it. There's something massively different between people who are roughly the same level of development and a Modern Industrial Power just taking the land and forcing the people living there to assimilate or die, or assimilate and die in a lot of cases.

Racists will use anything to justify their racism, and trying to pretend that only White People (Or as they like to Western People) are the only ones who ever did anything important is like a big racist tick buried deep on your arm. Claiming something ancient and maybe not well understood is an easy way for them to deligitimize non white people.

Also the franks didn't genocide any (romano-)gauls, they just took over management. Wars of conquest are bad, yeah, but they aren't genocides. Caesar did some genocides a few centuries prior, mind.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

Knormal posted:

I was thinking of the gnome video, which remains one of the most confusing reactions to a cryptid I've seen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBCd3w3192Y

This is my favorite cryptid video. On the one hand, it's funny because the cryptid is a gnome with a pointy hat and a group of young people finds it scary for some reason. On the other hand, it is genuinely kinda creepy, especially with the sideways shuffle the gnome does.

Captain Jesus has a new favorite as of 15:51 on Nov 12, 2021

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah the Argentina Gnome is up there with the Crichton Leprechaun, absolute internet classics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nda_OSWeyn8

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crichton_Leprechaun

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 200 days!

FreudianSlippers posted:

I've read some old British books where they claim that the Irish are actually Phoenicians and/or Scythians that swept in from the Orient and massacred the native Britons and took over.

Additionally the Irish are obviously moon worshipping pagans in addition to being heretical papists and the fact that many of them were pastoralists meant that they weren't really using the land properly anyway.

Granted, those probably would be the same books that claim Britain was founded by refugees from the Trojan War.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
Someone earlier in the thread posted some great bigfoot stuff from Men's Adventure mags, and I just got this amazing book:

Which reprints some choice "true" stories and illustrations. Posts ITT have been making me think about how much the more ephemeral old media like magazines and TV contribute to our shared narrative of these subjects. I was totally unaware of the Men's Adventure angle to bigfoot until that poster brought it up, and I wonder how much things like that have unconsciously shaped what we "know" about cryptids.

https://www.menspulpmags.com/product/cryptozoology-anthology-strange-and-mysterious-creatures-in-mens-adventure-magazines-paperback/

Dr. Jerrold Coe has a new favorite as of 23:51 on Nov 12, 2021