Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

made a big face irl about this one but in a good way

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

BULBASAUR posted:

forums cancer

if only we hadn't cut off his Patreon income he could have paid the $10.95 for the chemo

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER

Luneshot posted:

legitimate condolences to his kids and family, losing a parent sucks

pretty sure "tried to deport mommy" was a charming story passed around the holiday table

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Finally came back and got im

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

rip lowtax He was always correct; never did anything wrong.

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

Barudak posted:

How the gently caress am I getting my goddamn spaceship drawings

Mythical Moderate
Jul 5, 2002

My heart and actions are utterly unclouded. They are all those of 'Justice'.

This is karma for not making tasty armageddon a moderator.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Can we order City Name Funeral Home shirts yet?

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

lol

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Brewster you so cool.

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

I never had any interactions with lowtax in my time here, feel bad for his kids but eh :shrug:

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

he does not look dapper in his pig hat

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Not too surprising, this has seemed to be coming for the last several years. Early Lowtax was instrumental to the internet, it's a shame he couldn't have picked a better path as the internet evolved.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

RIP

Condolences to Lowtax's friends and family.
I hope his kids are doing well and I hope he was able to find peace.

I laughed a lot over the years and this place has been a refuge for me and I appreciate its existence.

When all the poo poo Kyanka was doing came to light I was let down and pissed.

I was alerted to his passing when someone posted in the PS5 thread which I felt was an appropriate way for me to find out.

:goofy:

Tuxide
Mar 7, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Please stop giving money to him

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
loss.jpg

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

LadyAmbien posted:

Guys, I just want you to remember while posting, if you are about to write something mean about him that one day my daughter will be old enough to Google this thread and her older sisters already are.

Please try to be kind. This was their father. No matter what my relationship was to him or with him, this was their Daddy and they are hurting.

I recognize that I have said unkind things out of anger about Rich and our relationship on here in the past, so I get the hypocrisy in me saying this.

The word that keeps coming to me is "sobering." 40's is way too young to die for pretty much anyone.

Lowtax was always associated in my mind with comedy. Whether he was being the comedian, or making himself the goddamn clown, it was always there. Hell, even after it all came out what awful poo poo he'd done and how he'd treated people who should have been so important in his life, there was still laughter to be had at how he'd taken this gravy train and burned it down. He was always an Internet Funny Man. But there's nothing funny about dying in your 40's amid the wreckage of your life. Even if he caused it himself, well, great, now there's no chance for any of it to be set right, and you still have people like LadyAmbien and especially his children who have to deal with continuing on. It's sobering. Joke's over.

I genuinely hope that your children will be okay. They don't deserve this -- no child deserves to lose their father, especially not that young.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
f

Pantsless Hero
May 25, 2004

Serv-Bot will kick your ass.
The tax just got six feet lower!

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
rip

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
pouring out some mangosteen for a real one

BEARS IN THE BARN
Oct 9, 2004
everyones coming back to post. hi everyone

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

It appears that the elephant is highly sensitive to the effects of LSD - a finding which may prove to be valuable in elephant-control work in Africa.

Tupac Sighting posted:

I was trying to go to sleep a few minutes ago and for some reason the enormity of these events finally hit me and I couldn't stop crying. I have no real life friends who give a poo poo about forums posting, so this is basically the only place I have to express these feelings, but I really feel the need to express them.

I would like this thread to be about our personal feelings about the death of Richard Kyanka, and how it has personally affected us. Just TV-IVing about the details as they come in, or wondering about SomethingAwful's future, and all of that bullshit has no place here. I need to write about my feelings about Lowtax. Obviously these posts will be mocked elsewhere on the forums, but gently caress em. If you feel the need to say anything, say it.

-----

Lowtax is an abuser. He abused his wife. We will probably never know exactly what he was thinking. Obviously I did not know Lowtax. I never saw him in person and never spoke to him. But he represented something very special to me. In such a cut-throat, dirty, dark, often disgusting, business he was one of the good ones. When people talked poo poo about posting and the bastards involved in it, you could always point out Lowtax as the exception to the rule. He was the one you could point to as a true professional who honored the sport he loved, who was passionate about it, who proved that you could dedicate your life to professional posting without being insane or scum or a monster. He was the ace in the hole. He was the one who wasn't in it for the pussy or because he was a failed poster in another website or definitely not because he wanted to get rich quick or because he wanted to be a movie star or because he saw posting as a means to an end. He was in it for the forums. He was dedicated to being the best website administrator he could be, and it showed in his front page posts.

I wanted to be a cool poster since I was a little kid, and one of the very worst moments of my life was a cold night in San Antonio when I was on the phone to my girlfriend a thousand miles away and finally admitted to myself and to her that buying this account and an avatar had been a mistake. Coming to grips that I was simply not athletically or charismatically talented enough to post in FYAD was one of the worst moments of my life. The business glorifies the boyhood dreams that come true. My boyhood dream wasn't going to come true, and it was an upsetting, soul-crushing revelation that upsets and discourages me to this day.

Since then I lived vicariously through Lowtax in a lot of ways. He wasn't a man who was destined to be a mainstream superstar. He couldn't box. He wasn't charismatic in the usual way. He was quiet. His neck didn't work. The only thing he had going for him was his posting ethic. He wasn't a third generation professional poster. He wasn't physically gifted. But through sheer effort he was able to become one of the most influential website administrators in history. By 40 years-old.

Lowtax was only forty, and he was already a legend on the verge of myth. That's how talented he was, and how respected.

I cannot reconcile in my mind that the man who unnecessarily gave back so much to the forums could die so young. I can't understand how a man could spend weeks and months trying to give back to younger guys like DocEvil, putting forth the care and effort to help them find their voice in the forums. Lowtax owed me nothing. But I still feel the loss. I selfishly lived through many of his accomplishments and now feel lost. I can only speak for myself, but I feel that for a lot of us the SomethingAwful forums are a rock of stability in a storm of stress and uncertainty.

And that will continue. But Lowtax is dead. And he died as a fail abuser. And whether it be insanity, drugs, or just the actions of a clear-eyed monster, what is done is done. And one of the pillars for the guys backstage and one of the pillars for fans is gone. And everything that pillar held up is tainted and dripping with mangosteen juice.

Lowax was an abuser. And I don't know how to accept that.

Happy for you.
Or sorry that happened.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

if only he drank more mangosteen

rip in piss

Ries
Apr 14, 2003
Motorcycle
Have to respect this amount of effort for a Photoshop Phriday prompt!

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Wait, I'm sorry who?

Prime Sinister
Mar 23, 2005

tony scare
Checking in and dumping a post out of my rear end.

Prime Sinister fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Nov 11, 2021

Pastel Candy Snake
Sep 6, 2018

by Hand Knit
For twelve years you have been asking, "Who is Richard 'Lowtax' Kyanka?"

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

The Aristocrats!

AvidAcid
May 30, 2004

oh christ
rip dude

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

TremorX posted:

watch biden start a fuckin war

he won't remember this happened by tomorrow so good luck

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
We're going to be telling stories about Lowtax for a long, long time.

Mostly ones about how much he sucked.

In retrospect there was some fantastic timing on the forums sale.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
More like... ToeTags

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Somebody should start a fund for his children where we can all contribute :tenbux: or something. I would, but I'm too stupid to know how to do it. We need to put a positive spin on this.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
rip or rot

Serisothikos
Dec 4, 2004

Unlimited Pasta Pass
one day we too will be posts in the wind

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

no

Adbot