Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kupo!
Sep 14, 2009

Just follow me through this wall, I can show you things
no mortal eyes were meant
to see.

This was not a thread I expected to see this evening and I do not know how to feel about it

e: Snipetendo 64

Kupo! fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Nov 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Shitpostradomus posted:

Wonder if they have Goldbelly in hell.

They do, but it is all stale.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Voted 5.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
Imagine if you judged your favorite musician's personal life like you did an internet humorist.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Maed posted:

wtf tribute.avi is gone from youtube so I can't give him a tribute

Youtube nuked it for 'celebrating terrorism'. I found a copy, reuploaded it, and contested the automatic removal though, so, for posterity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kPG8xoXZ74

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
lowtax: he went from ambien to notbein

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

panascope posted:

I’ll be a little genuine. SA represented a huge portion of my formative years. It always bummed me out to see Lowtax fall like he did and the forums decline so much. SA used to be the place on the internet. He definitely had many bad years and I know there’s a lot of contempt for him now but I’m still sad to see him go out like this.

was tempted to just reply "same" but this is pretty much where I'm at, fellow :regd05:. But I like to think that the forums didn't "decline" so much as we lost a lot of the fuckwits to other places (and yet I still post here). Still, sucks he went out like this.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
RIP dude that created a site that formed the base for stuff that shaped internet and IRL culture to some degree, too bad you sucked hard at personal life stuff.

Mx. posted:

it's true, russian furry artists are great to commission. russian fursuit artists are crazy cheap if you don't mind waiting months for shipping
Hell I know right. Got the most insanely detail piece from one once that I wasn't expecting for the price I paid.

Lux Saturnine
Oct 29, 2011
richard died as he lived: being told to gently caress off by his whole website

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

FistEnergy posted:

lmao an 03 using the word Veteran :rolleyes:

:regd05:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
i don't think lowtax really had much to do with the good parts of SA. that was everyone else's work

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

:thurman:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

goethe.cx posted:

lol if you think SA would have kept its defining features if it had turned into something like reddit. SA is tolerable to post on, and the rest of social media isn't, precisely because it's outdated

Lmao I'm not saying it should have been reddit. I prefer this posting format. But that it's pathetic it didn't become as large.

Just saying I've been waiting for them to fix search for 18 years.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

The Bloop posted:

I am glad he made these forums, that's a fact.

And I don't wish death on people.

Not going to pretend I liked him though.

I do hope his family is ok, they don't deserve anything bad

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Any high points to the thread so far

fahrvergnugen
Nov 27, 2003

Intergalactic proton-powered electrical tentacled REFRIGERATOR OF DOOM.
Dude was a shitbag, but this site he made brought me a lot of joy and personal connections over the years. Lotta mixed feelings.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
he sucked

but also he made SA

in conclusion lowtax was a land of contrasts.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/poppy_haze/status/1458637533433286656?s=21

For those of you not on Twitter, it’s absolutely WILD how widespread this opinion holds. It’s not a particularly left or conservative opinion, it’s merely the opinion of the extremely ultra-online.

Personally, I believe it, mostly because the world is objectively funnier if it’s true!

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
Bye Rich. You made an interesting website but were awful in real life.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
so many image macros gone, like tears in rain...time...to Post....

:smithcloud:

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
:byewhore:

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Mx. posted:

i just want to take a sombre moment here to remember a forums great. a lovely man. a sweet man. a funny man. a giant of a man who overshadowed us all

RIP ZerglingMinor

i remember him

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Roth posted:

Dear furries: We're sorry

thank

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

I'm Glad Lowtax Dead

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

anime was right posted:

lowtax: he went from ambien to notbein

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

LMAO

Corrupt Politician
Aug 8, 2007

Shayna Baszler posted:

in a way, we all killed lowtax

The real death of Lowtax was the friends we made along the way.

RIP

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

Kupo! posted:

This was not a thread I expected to see this evening and I do not know how to feel about it

me either

but weed helps

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman
Holy poo poo, the dude from the quake thing and 3D site died before eFront ever payed him.

That sucks.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

greg the peanut posted:

This place hosed up my teen years, also my 20s

You're welcome, the man was a genius (???)

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Just making some noise in this historic thread, to be a part of it. Hooting and hollering, but in a slightly sad, but also slightly funny way

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Bye guy who really wasn't so great but accidentally did a cool thing that one time.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I'm sure the biggest disappointment was the last item on his bucket list not crossed off: to play the completed version of Star Citizen.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The Bloop posted:

Haven't typed that URL for many years but I got curious and looked at 4chan

lmao imagine all the shittiest places on the internet mourning you

Now do kiwifarms

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

just poppin' pain pills and chugging energy drinks while babbling incoherently

nothing to see here

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Nov 11, 2021

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
i made so many of the most important friendships in my life on this site or its various offshoots

but also lowtax was basically just the absentee landlord of the place where all that happened

also he sucks

A Lamer
Jul 2, 2006

I hope one day we know why god took this man so young

A large farva
Sep 5, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
Is this The Big Announcement?

Casual Combustion
Jan 12, 2003

thanks for the internet friends and website, icq pranks were like the funniest thing I'd ever seen as a high schooler, bummer he also torpedoed everything good he made

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

The Grey posted:

I'll still be positive at least for tonight though. I respect him for creating this place. It is (or was) super innovative and creative. I've spent countless hours here and it's been a big influence on my thinking.

I also appreciate that he realized this site was larger then him. He could have been stubborn, hung on to it, and watched it dwindle away. Instead he made the move to let it live on without him.

I mean you can honestly respect what he did while still acknowledging he himself was a problematic individual. They're not mutually exclusive and I think people start to trip up when they believe it's one or the other

The modern weird internet is a direct result of creating these forums and have spawned a hell of a lot of careers, more than expected tbh