Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

This guy is just a factory of really stupid poo poo:

https://twitter.com/gregisenberg/status/1458061300374949888

Ah yes, the legendary MVP without any P at all.

Congrats dude, you described vaporware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
He’s right but only because people who join the communities tend to be technologically illiterate (although they probably think they’re cutting edge) and easily impressed. e.g. someone who fundamentally doesn’t understand that digital goods can be copied and is therefore impressed by NFTs, someone who has never used Google Sheets at work and is therefore impressed by a ‘product’ which is really a spreadsheet, people who were born after beenz and therefore think crypto tokens for micropayments are a really cool idea. There are more people who don’t understand tech and people willing to exploit them than there are of us, so these people will win.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It doesn't do me any harm if they bilk some rubes (it's always happening somewhere), but I really don't want this stuff to gain mainstream acceptance to the point that I'm forced to use it

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

This guy is just a factory of really stupid poo poo:

https://twitter.com/gregisenberg/status/1458061300374949888

Ah yes, the legendary MVP without any P at all.

He just described SA. Lowtax = genius? /s

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

cum jabbar posted:

It doesn't do me any harm if they bilk some rubes (it's always happening somewhere), but I really don't want this stuff to gain mainstream acceptance to the point that I'm forced to use it

There's nothing to use so I wouldn't worry too much.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

cum jabbar posted:

use it for what? crypto's value is wildly volatile so it's pretty useless as a currency.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

prom candy posted:

use it for what? crypto's value is wildly volatile so it's pretty useless as a currency.

and medium of exchange works better when it’s not using hundreds of kilowatts per transaction

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUwhX-c9JyA

Sorry not sorry.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Devops guys are giving me a loving headache. I asked for a security token needed for setting up an automated scan because the instructions written by the devops guys told me to. They tell me to generate it myself, and when it fails, they tell me that only the tokens generated by admins work right now, but they're currently working to fix that. I ask for a status update the next day and the loving guy I asked for the security token from in the first place asks me why the other devops guy (who wrote the instructions) hasn't given me a token. Finally another developer who was in that group chat just hands me the token (generated by the guy I asked) that everybody else had been using for their scan.

Do they even loving talk to each other?

Rubellavator fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Nov 12, 2021

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Rubellavator posted:

Devops guys are giving me a loving headache. I asked for a security token needed for setting up an automated scan because the instructions written by the devops guys told me to. They tell me to generate it myself, and when it fails, they tell me that only the tokens generated by admins work right now, but they're currently working to fix that. I ask for a status update the next day and the loving guy I asked for the security token from in the first place asks me why the other devops guy (who wrote the instructions) hasn't given me a token. Finally another developer who was in that group chat just hands me the token (generated by the guy I asked) that everybody else had been using for their scan.

Do they even loving talk to each other?

They probably despise each other

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
ah yes the old gambit where DevOps implies that engineering teams can now "manage everything by themselves"

DevOps promptly write documentation for each part of the infrastructure separately (mostly consisting of "look at the docs of tool X, version 0.3") but leave out all the documentation on how to connect the custom elasticsearch deployment to the custom metrics backend to the custom ci/cd pipeline management wrapper

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
The more senior your job title, the more one of your duties is to make friends with someone in devops. It’s the only way to get work done.

My favorite boss used to take smoking breaks with a high end member of the database team. We were never blocked by the database team.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Sagacity posted:

ah yes the old gambit where DevOps implies that engineering teams can now "manage everything by themselves"

DevOps promptly write documentation for each part of the infrastructure separately (mostly consisting of "look at the docs of tool X, version 0.3") but leave out all the documentation on how to connect the custom elasticsearch deployment to the custom metrics backend to the custom ci/cd pipeline management wrapper

We must work for the same company. Don't forget that on top of everything you mentioned they incorporate a new shiny half-baked open source tool into the process every couple weeks and tell us it's the only thing we can use.

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 12, 2021

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

“Oh yeah, those instructions are wrong, we should update them.”

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
Don't worry, you get a month to migrate to the new tool. You have time for that, right?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

smackfu posted:

“Oh yeah, those instructions are wrong, we should update them.”

Sagacity posted:

Don't worry, you get a month to migrate to the new tool. You have time for that, right?

:byodood:

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

We're migrating all of our applications to the ~cloud~ and have a hard deadline of Monday, that conversation took place over 4 days, and I left out the part in the middle where it took me 2 days to get the scan to actually complete because it kept running out of memory.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Rubellavator posted:

We're migrating all of our applications to the ~cloud~ and have a hard deadline of Monday, that conversation took place over 4 days, and I left out the part in the middle where it took me 2 days to get the scan to actually complete because it kept running out of memory.

Are all your applications in the cloud now?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Good process: when you begin development of a relatively minor feature in november 2020, and maybe barely finally just pass the final test gate in december 2021

startups getting eaten big big old venerable enterprise companies is the literal worst and I want to carve my eyes out with glass

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

ChickenWing posted:

Good process: when you begin development of a relatively minor feature in november 2020, and maybe barely finally just pass the final test gate in december 2021

startups getting eaten big big old venerable enterprise companies is the literal worst and I want to carve my eyes out with glass

I left my last company when we hit ~20 employees to join a company with fewer than 5. I'll do it again.

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty
I was just in a triage meeting with 20 people.
If they don't split up the team I gotta go, it's way too much noise. Nobody knows anything about most of the stuff.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I absolutely hate those meetings. It always just gets hijacked and nothing good happens.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I don't want to go to a party with that many people, much less a meeting

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

prom candy posted:

I left my last company when we hit ~20 employees to join a company with fewer than 5. I'll do it again.

I consider that more strongly by the day

We're having serious issues about siloed information between the UI team and the application team and people have been discussing just merging the teams and I think I will kill myself if we add even more noise to our sprint planning

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I really enjoy working on super small teams. It means I'll probably never get to work on some huge flashy product but that's ok, I'd rather just have mostly good days at work.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
99.9% of big projects are boring heaps of junk anyhow. You probably have just a big a chance finding a small project that is flashy/becomes flashy.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
My org's UX team has been in a constant state of internal warfare since at least the start of the year, unable to agree on a coherent vision for the product's esthetic (or even a single prototyping tool). They've rotated through at least 6 new hires, none of which have lasted more than a month or two before deciding to flee, but each started just long enough to propose their own set of drastic changes to product and have engineering get halfway through revamping before someone else shows up to give their own conflicting set of drastic changes, preoccupying engineering resources that are desperately needed elsewhere.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

a dingus posted:

99.9% of big projects are boring heaps of junk anyhow.

When a project reaches a certain size it really means it should be multiple smaller ones because big projects only ever end one way.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
What? You DON'T want to work on a 20 year old monolith comprised entirely of hacks made by people that aren't there anymore?

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
Have you ever thought about how horrible the world would be if fart smells never disappeared? Working in development is just like that. 'Code smell'

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

wilderthanmild posted:

What? You DON'T want to work on a 20 year old monolith comprised entirely of hacks made by people that aren't there anymore?

But enough about Salesforce.

Sign
Jul 18, 2003

wilderthanmild posted:

Better than a 20 year old monolith comprised entirely of hacks mostly written by the guy who is now CTO

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Sign posted:

Better than a 20 year old monolith comprised entirely of hacks mostly written by the guy who is now CTO

Having to tip toe around hiding that you're removing the CTO's code.

Dev: "We have to rewrite the call scheduling component so it may delay this project a bit"
CTO: "What do you mean?! I Wrote that. It works perfectly. WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS? ARE YOU TRYING TO RUIN MY SYSTEM!?"

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

I worked somewhere like that, every time something exploded the last commit was the CTO and it was fixed without that fact coming up. The guy was a mediocre developer and a terrible manager who ended up as CTO due to tenure which always ends well.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Chief Technical Officer more like Cut Tête Off

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
My product owner just asked if we can handle .RAR files.

Nah buddy, I'm sorry, this is 1991, the technology just isn't there yet.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Sign posted:

My last job was kind of like this, except instead of the CTO he became combination lead sales engineer and product owner. The codebase had grown considerably (by people stapling things over top of what was there, naturally) since he'd changed roles, and he hadn't seen it for at least 7 years when I started there.

The old folks in this thread might guess what tended to happen: he didn't trust any estimate we gave him, thought we were sandbagging, because his memory of the code and the customer base were both years out of date. So he gave the customer time estimates that were generally about half as long as it tended to take (usually by cutting our estimates in half), and then complained about how the customers were angry when reality hit.

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.
Let me tell you about my new job.

I started it 3 weeks ago, and I have done 1, one [1]. Ticket.

The onboarding process was 2 weeks long. For 6 hours a day, of meetings. That was 10 solid days of meetings, with long-winded powerpoint-based introductions to every single department and the nitty gritty details of what they do.

Those two weeks end, and I finally get to actually spend more time with my team, and the bullshit meeting culture continues. We have chapter meetings once a week, retro once a week, refinements once a week, all 3 of those meetings take 2 hours each. Then there's standup which takes an average of a hour and a half. Half an hour to go through the board for the nitty gritty details, then an extra hour for 'after standup' where the devs discuss the exact technical execution of their work and the direction of the product.

Then there's developing.

I work on the front-end, no problem. Branches have to be named a specific way, not too weird, but they can NOT NOT be named that way or it will trigger a build which will block the other builds and after about an hour it'll break, because the branch is named wrong.

Then there's the back-end. Naturally dockerised because why not, everything needs to be containerised but you only bring up containers X, Y and Z if you want to run locally. Oh and auto-reload won't work on the application when you make modifications because its an Angular 2 application living inside an AngularJS application. So you need to build the full application in iDEA and run it as dev, then run the Angular application in vscode/webstorm and if you make changes you have to manually refresh because, as I said, auto-reload doesn't work.

But wait, there's more. If you pull dev for the back-end you have to go through the whole process of downing the containers and bringing up each individual container in the right order. Then you rebuild dev and it might just break for some reason because there's instability in the configuration. I'm not a Java dev, I don't know or care.

Then there's opening a PR, hoo boy do you open a loving PR.

First you push your very specific branch to the UI application repo.
Then you go back to the main repo, and create a new branch WITH THE EXACT SAME NAME and push that to the main app repo.
Then you go back to your UI repo, and push an empty commit to it. This will trigger a script somewhere that updates the PR to the main repo with some loving update to the docker version or some absurd garbage. Once thats done, THEN your UI PR can be approved and merged, and once thats done you create a ANOTHER commit to the MAIN repo with a git tag.

This is chaos. This is pure loving chaos. This company is absolute loving nonsense.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

:sever:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
You'll be a hero if you come up with a dummy test backend that makes the UI easy to run on its own. These people might be too sloppy to appreciate the benefit, though...